Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E01: Hotels

I mean Alex's feelings were never unknown. I think Tina is being naive to think that time apart would make it all go away and they could go back to being friends, because honestly they weren't really friends.. There was always that underlying chemistry.

I mean Alex's feelings were never unknown. I think Tina is being naive to think that time apart would make it all go away and they could go back to being friends, because honestly they weren't really friends.. There was always that underlying chemistry.

Agreed. What was she thinking. She made her bed now she needs to lie it it. I hate the way she always draws Alex back in by being the damsel in distress. (Karaoke).  I am happy that Michelle cheated. I thought it would have been a cheat if she suddenly stopped. I kind of feel it is a cheat to have her regret it.  I still find her and Brett to be so awkward it seems like they are two people who have grown apart but still in deep denial over that fact.

• Love 4

I'm also happy Michelle cheated but wish she wouldn't let it tear her apart so much and definitely don't confess. He doesn't get to neglected and alienate her for so much, for so long and the decide, on a whim really, to shape up without there being consequences.

Edited by DiabLOL
  • Love 1

Seems like the Duplasses go out of their way to make just about everything that Brett says or does make you cringe.

Michelle is also uncomfortable in her own skin.

As if they're deliberately trying to make the Alex and Tina relationship the focal point of the show.

Now at some point, will they make Brett channel an alpha male like Walter White ripping Skyler's panties off? That's the trope though, a meek guy surprising and pleasing his wife with a burst of sexual aggression. Showtime's Billions just did it with Chuck Rhoads jumping on his dominatrix wife, turning the tables on her.

Now at some point, will they make Brett channel an alpha male like Walter White ripping Skyler's panties off? That's the trope though, a meek guy surprising and pleasing his wife with a burst of sexual aggression. Showtime's Billions just did it with Chuck Rhoads jumping on his dominatrix wife, turning the tables on her.

The funny thing is, that Brett's problem is not his meekness.  His issue is his total self absorption.  Even now that he has recommitted to his marriage, he is so into his own good vibes, he can not sense something is really off about Michelle

I think Michelle wants to tell Brett, not just because of the guilt, but because he she wants to give him that smack in the head.  Also, I thought she was really into that charter school guy?  It now feels like that was just sexual, but maybe later in the season we will find out more?

Also, Tina is being selfish.  Her boyfriend gives her the physical comforts she desires and financial security.  We all have seen that she is a professional mess and can not support herself on her own endeavors ( a powerful scene from last season).

However, she has no emotional connection with him.  She wants the security her boyfriend provides, but have an emotional affair with Alex.

Edited by qtpye
  • Love 1

Man, Tina makes me cringe. I don't mean that in a bad way; it makes for good television. She's not attracted to Alex, but she wants him to want her always. She doesn't want to see him as happy without her. I just hope he doesn't succumb to her attempts to woo him.

Alex has become a bit of a douche as his acting success has grown.

I was surprised that Michelle so quickly regretted sleeping with David, but I don't doubt it to be true. Her wanting to confess to Brett may be a way to get back at him, but it's also a way to make herself feel better. I don't know what she should do.

I really enjoyed this ep.

• Love 1
Alex has become a bit of a douche as his acting success has grown.

I was wondering where they were going with that.  Is this just confidence compared to slacker Alex who let life happen to him or is he being a jerk?

That was a good fake out at the beginning of the episode. I thought it was going to be Brett walking in on his wife and the charter school guy.
There was  so much tension where they left off so dramatically last season with Brett driving towards them as Michelle and David escalated their flirtation. It was awhile in the episode before we knew what had happened. I was afraid I had missed an episode.

Edited by Beezella

But for a girl like Tina who is used to having people do whatever she asks, I think she sees people in her orbit as her friends and doesn't admit to herself that since puberty, most of the guys in her orbit were just hanging around to see if she would sleep with them. I knew girls like that and they would humble brag, "These guys are just super sweet and really nice," conveniently ignoring the fact that these guys were attracted to them. Don't get me wrong - it's a two way street because these guys are trying to Nice Guy their way into eventually hooking up with these girls so no one is completely guilt free in these situations.

In the case of Alex and Tina, I can see both points of view right now. She broke his heart and when that happens, no matter what the circumstances are, it can be hard to be around that person, even if you are now happy, because it's a reminder of laying yourself bare and having someone stomp on your heart. I am happily married but there is at least one ex who I would find it awkward to be around, even in a casual group setting, even though he broke my heart a million years ago. It's not because I still love him or want him back. It's because I remember how devastated I was when it happened and being around him would most likely bring me back to that time in my life (similar to the way that I sometimes regress to my 13 year old self when I go to my parents' house for Christmas).

Tina, on the other hand, has lost her major support system and the person she spent most of her free time with before she met Larry. Regardless of the circumstances (because obviously she is the reason that it happened), that leaves a hole in your heart and your life. I don't doubt that she misses having him around, partly because he was always up for whatever she wanted to do. Seeing Alex with his new girlfriend must have been more salt in the wound. But from an outside perspective, I totally agree that it's very unrealistic and frankly insensitive for Tina to expect her relationship with Alex to go back to being BFFs (or even just not awkward).

As for Michelle, I totally buy her feeling guilty. She has been unhappy in her marriage so the little slivers she saw of David appealed to her because she only saw the good things about him and the ways that he was different from the husband (who has alternated between driving her crazy or not paying attention to her). She was able to build this fantasy in her head about how David was everything that Brett wasn't and then add that to her physical attraction to David. But once she gave in and actually slept with David, she realized that he's just some other guy and that he isn't the solution to how unhappy she is.

I also think she feels doubly guilty now that he's being so nice. When he brought up how much he loves their family, I think that was an extra wallop because she knows that they both love their kids and this could destroy that. But I think the main source of her guilt is that as shitty as Brett has been, he has never crossed that line and cheated so now she is beating herself up and thinking that she is worse than he is.

Re: Alex's new attitude - I like that he isn't a slacker anymore and it's great that he's found some success, but there is a difference between confidence and asking the director for another take because the actress "stepped on his line" (which she didn't). This combined with the fact that he apparently hasn't talked to Brett since the end of last season (which he is blamed on his phone and his shooting schedule) makes me think we're going to get a storyline about Alex being an insufferable egotistical maniac. I mean, when Alex actually had a conversation with Brett while they were talking down the street, things seemed fine but it shouldn't take Brett flying to New Orleans for them to be friends.

• Love 4

he can not sense something is really off about Michelle

Except for the part where he confided in Alex that he SENSES she is hesitant and unable to trust he's really changed. And then he said it directly to her, to show that he as really changed.

• Love 1