Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E22: A Progress Report #4

Tara Ariano
  • Start Topic

The "improvements" to Shuller's BBQ seemed huge, but maybe not in a good way.  Is there really enough business in that town for all that additional square footage?  I was under the impression that the general store would be a small little building that sold t-shirts and knick-knacks.  Instead, they ended up with a massive "Cracker Barrel" style store that sells useless junk.  I just don't see how they could ever sell enough items to cover the cost of the building and staffing.

The grand opening also seemed very somber.  I wonder if Marcus was a little hard on the owners, as the wife appeared to be tearing up, but not with tears of joy.  It was a little uncomfortable to watch.

With all those building additions, it looks like they're going to need a bigger flag.

• Love 4

That store was way too big, even if The Profit turns them into a destination. Fortunately they already owned the land so it's not like rent will be killing them. But I wonder if overbuilding isn't maybe a problem for Marcus sometimes.

Which reminds me: wasn't there a line in the episode teaser about the 6000 ft wine store not having enough business for its space? Or was that a problem with the old model which is now fixed?

The grand opening also seemed very somber.  I wonder if Marcus was a little hard on the owners, as the wife appeared to be tearing up, but not with tears of joy.  It was a little uncomfortable to watch.

Yeah. Her joke about Marcus clearly had an air of "Kidding! (Not really.)"
  • Love 1

Which reminds me: wasn't there a line in the episode teaser about the 6000 ft wine store not having enough business for its space? Or was that a problem with the old model which is now fixed?

They were overflowing with stockthat wasn't selling because the owner was not listening to his wine expert  and had tons of boxes around cluttering the place up  . plus a band that was driving away customers from the wine bar. 

• Love 1

Wine Shop - Bummer getting fired on TV.

Drum Shop - Did they need to throw the brother under the bus - again?

Shuller BBQ - Why such a big store?  And, as with Simple Greek, why don't these folks realize Marcus is a partner and consult him?

Furniture Business - Glad the grandfather lived to see the business turnaround.  But somebody, please paint over that outdoor mural!

• Love 1

Drum Shop - Did they need to throw the brother under the bus - again?

That's not how I remember the first episode. I thought the brother was presented as a tortured genius who was unappreciated by his business-running brother who apologized on camera half a dozen times. And I'm glad this time it was more of a "he's a prima donna", you tried.

• Love 4

If I wanted to go get BBQ I wouldn't appreciate having to work my way through an overcrowded general store, because if I want to go to Cracker Barrel, I will. It was very telling when the BBQ people said that they looked at other general stores. No, no they didn't, they only went to Cracker Barrel.

• Love 4

I will say, I understand what Marcus was getting at with not selling clothes, etc., but I'm not sure about the semantic difference between a general store and a department store! Other than size. 

On the drum company, I was at a party recently (in Massachusetts) where someone brought one of those drums you sit on, and I wonder if it was literally one of those drums!

• Love 2

I wonder what it's like for a person looking for new employment to be shown on teevee getting fired. And sitting around, drinking at the bar, without a care in the world, right before.  Now, I fully suspect the actual firing off Matt took place off camera and was recreated for our benefit, because he neither looked surprised nor even mildly miffed, and was up and out the door without even packing up a desk. (Unless he was hammered. Who knows?) 

• Love 1

1. Maybe the kid gets tense on camera, but the Shuler of Shuler's seems creepy.

2. I agree...why would any one expect these two restaurant-owners to have any retail expertise? Aren't there people with Marcus, Inc. who help him manage his empire? Marketers and buyers and retail design experts? Why doesn't Marcus throw some staff at such a large expansion?

3. Banquet room hosting 200 people a week 50 weeks a year!? The restaurant is in a town with 1300 people. Nearest population center is Columbia SC metro area with 800,000 people 100 miles away. Doesn't seem likely.

Edited by Josiah Bounderby
  • Love 3

Banquet room hosting 200 people a week 50 weeks a year!

200 max. Often such rooms have a fraction of people but are rented multiple times a week or even at one a week. Such rooms can be had pretty cheap for parties etc. Especially in a small town where often events would be in the school gym because there is no else to host such a party. Not unheard of for church groups to rent out the banquet room once a week. So multiple times during that 50 weeks of a year is not inconceivable . Depending upon the signage on the interstate they could be getting a lot of travelers who are just stopping in for a bite to eat. https://www.facebook.com/shulersbbqshows the Cypress Room. 

• Love 1

3. Banquet room hosting 200 people a week 50 weeks a year!? The restaurant is in a town with 1300 people. Nearest population center is Columbia SC metro area with 800,000 people 100 miles away. Doesn't seem likely.

@nobodyyoucare makes a good point, but I'm with you. Marcus' numbers were 100 people twice a week at $20 per head. And he called it "gross profit" meaning that's on top of food sales.  Yes it can be useful, but I don't see them renting this room out for $2000 twice a week. 

• Love 1