Type keyword(s) to search

Morning Joe: All Episodes Talk

Message added by dubbel zout

Discussion of the hosts regarding a specific episode is fine here, but generalized discussion of the hosts go in the The Hosts Thread: Joe and Mika Know Their Value. 

• Start Topic

43 minutes ago, millennium said:

The only sub I actually like is Katie Phang.

Katie Phang is who I meant, not Alicia Menendez. I somehow got the two confused. Katie's been subbing for Chris Hayes and doing a good job.

• Like 1

I just cannot with Symone. never watch the Weekend Show and when she is a guest I go to CNN. Same with Joy Reid. Both overuse their ties to their college sorority. I want information not a return to college social life. Right after Ari Melber's show I go right to CNN  and usually stay until Anderson Cooper signs off.

• Like 2

MSNBC was accused several years ago of paying Rev Al several million dollars to get him to support the Comcast merger. I doubt the network would remove him.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/business/business-news/comcast-al-sharpton-hit-20-777015/

Mika & Joe always mention that they watch Rev Al's show on the weekend.

Elise Jordan is the lead panellist today.

Harris is doing well in the sunbelt.

Harris & Walz have agreed to an interview with Dana Bush. Mika & Joe are on vacation so they declined the interview.

• Like 1
  • Wink 1

Elise Jordan admitted that families of the veterans killed in Afghanistan invited Trump to the Arlington cemetery, but they weren't supposed to take pictures in part of the location.

Lemire said Trump called veterans suckers & losers.

• Like 2

Elise Jordan worked for Bush. She has a lot of nerve criticizing anyone for what happened in Afghanistan or Iraq. 

The Afghan government knew we were withdrawing troops. Biden even extended the period before we did.  How long were we supposed to stay there? Afghanistan is a sovereign country, they should be free to govern as they wish.

Is the Taliban awful? Yes. Did the US gov't make promises to those who worked for us and then reneg on those promises? Yes. But that was going on long before Joe Biden was President. 

People forget Afghanistan is not a unified country. It is a tribal area, with tribal leaders aligning with the Taliban for two reasons. One is their belief in the rules the Taliban puts in place, and the other is fear. 

Apparently Elise forgot this little detail.  God forbid her former boss have any responsibility for the shit show Afghanistan turned into. 

Just like the Israel/Palestine conflicts, these are complicated issues where unfortunately no one ever comes out the winner. 

• Like 4
  • Love 1
(edited)

Oakville - so many of your observations show just how out-of-gas the MJ family is when The Twins are gone. To be fair, Show is running on empty with analysts and hosts just about every day.

The MJ regulars say the same things daily. And have been for months and years since 2016. Even now, show seemingly gives way more oxygen to Trump - it is exhausting. And yes, I do realize that he makes news everyday.

I agree with someone who posted either here or on the Network thread. It is disheartening to never see a fresh face subbing for anchoring duties. For every hour/show, every day. 

Edited by Kemper
  • Like 5
40 minutes ago, Kemper said:

Oakville - so many of your observations show just how out-of-gas the MJ family is when The Twins are gone. To be fair, Show is running on empty with analysts and hosts just about every day.

The MJ regulars say the same things daily. And have been for months and years since 2016. Even now, show seemingly gives way more oxygen to Trump - it is exhausting. And yes, I do realize that he makes news everyday.

I agree with someone who posted either here or on the Network thread. It is disheartening to never see a fresh face subbing for anchoring duties. For every hour/show, every day. 

It's getting tough to have the energy to do recaps of the show anymore.

I could probably do a recap by just looking at the guest list without even watching the show.

Morning Joe is like a shelter for Never Trumpers. Where will they go if Trump loses the election & decides to quit politics. ?

On CNBC they have guests discussing the tax plans of Harris & Trump. They don't seem to do this on Morning Joe.

• Like 4

It's so disingenuous for MJ to showcase anything from the WSJ. That is a publication for and by FOX

Wonder how they coved the political rally at Arlington National Cemetery this week 

2 hours ago, Kemper said:

That may have been me. I'm forever complaining on the MSNBC board about the purging or under using of some the young talent on this network 

• Like 3
3 hours ago, oakville said:

On CNBC they have guests discussing the tax plans of Harris & Trump. They don't seem to do this on Morning Joe.

But Kernen gets all rude and dismissive with many Harris spox, as well as with Sorkin.

• Like 2
22 minutes ago, SG429 said:

But Kernen gets all rude and dismissive with many Harris spox, as well as with Sorkin.

Kernen doesn't like higher taxes on high-income earners.

Kernen & Scarborough hosting a show together would be a battle of the blowhards.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1
  • Applause 1

Kernen's a big reason I don't watch CNBC in mornings. Sorkin is someone who doesn't like angry, nasty arguments with extreme people on national TV, so he doesn't seem to challenge Kernen as much. But I can't say for sure though as I hardly watch it any more.

• Like 2
7 minutes ago, Pike Ludwell said:

Kernen's a big reason I don't watch CNBC in mornings. Sorkin is someone who doesn't like angry, nasty arguments with extreme people on national TV, so he doesn't seem to challenge Kernen as much. But I can't say for sure though as I hardly watch it any more.

I watch CNBC for the guests. Sorkin conducts good interviews. Becky Quick is very good at interviewing Buffett.

• Like 3

I wonder if they don't have other, younger anchors guest host because Joe and Mika are afraid TPTB will realize there are much better people to host the morning show.

I would love Ayman Mohyeldin and Yasmin Voussoughian to host. They did Morning Joe First Look and it was amazing. Then Joe decided to take our little Republican flunky Kasie Hunt under his wing and Yasmin was moved to weekends. 

Yasmin and Ayman had such chemistry and could cover serious issues as well as more lighthearted stories. Instead of having to watch Joe and Mika work out their marital problems on the air. 

I don't care for Joe and his bloviating and repeating everything three times like he's giving a campaign speech.  He's way too interested in the sound of his own voice. 

• Like 2
(edited)

6 AM and right out of the gate we have to get Eddie's opinion of last night's interview which is she did no harm 

I rarely listen to him because he has no political cred and I don't get why MSNBC gives him any air time 

I only stuck with the show because Jeremy Peters and Sam Stein who do know what they're talking about ( I wish the interview had not been on the bothsidesism CNN) but I watched 

And then in comes the focus group consisting of the most annoying people as usual 

Edited by tres bien
  • Like 2

OMG those focus group people!! I wanted to smack a couple of them. 

Eddie Glaude is a religious scholar and a professor of AA studies. I don't recall why they have him on other than his take on minority issues. 

I was kind of surprised at the softball questions from Dana Bash, but I think VP Harris answered everything just fine. Tim Walz was fine. People misspeak all the time regarding terminology, etc.  And I don't expect men to know all the details about fertility treatments.  

• Like 2
18 hours ago, SeanBug said:

I wonder if they don't have other, younger anchors guest host because Joe and Mika are afraid TPTB will realize there are much better people to host the morning show.

I would love Ayman Mohyeldin and Yasmin Voussoughian to host. They did Morning Joe First Look and it was amazing. Then Joe decided to take our little Republican flunky Kasie Hunt under his wing and Yasmin was moved to weekends. 

Yasmin and Ayman had such chemistry and could cover serious issues as well as more lighthearted stories. Instead of having to watch Joe and Mika work out their marital problems on the air. 

I don't care for Joe and his bloviating and repeating everything three times like he's giving a campaign speech.  He's way too interested in the sound of his own voice. 

Joe got mad at Ayman for being supportive of the Muslim Brotherhood in Egypt & supporting the Palestinian Independence movement. He had him removed from the show. Joe is a strong supporter of Israel & received the key to a Jerusalem Deli when he visited Israel.

Mika & Joe saw Savannah Guthrie & Chuck Todd get promoted at NBC after they were co-hosting Morning Joe when they went on vacation. They will not let that happen again.

Joe loves repeating himself & there are rumours that he gets a bonus if he speaks during at least 60% of the airtime.

3 hours ago, tres bien said:

6 AM and right out of the gate we have to get Eddie's opinion of last night's interview which is she did no harm 

I rarely listen to him because he has no political cred and I don't get why MSNBC gives him any air time 

I only stuck with the show because Jeremy Peters and Sam Stein who do know what they're talking about ( I wish the interview had not been on the bothsidesism CNN) but I watched 

And then in comes the focus group consisting of the most annoying people as usual 

Eddie Glaude's political advice didn't help Clinton in 2016.

• Like 1
  • Useful 2
(edited)
8 hours ago, oakville said:

Joe got mad at Ayman for being supportive of the Muslim Brotherhood in Egypt & supporting the Palestinian Independence movement. He had him removed from the show. Joe is a strong supporter of Israel & received the key to a Jerusalem Deli when he visited Israel.

Mika & Joe saw Savannah Guthrie & Chuck Todd get promoted at NBC after they were co-hosting Morning Joe when they went on vacation. They will not let that happen again.

Joe loves repeating himself & there are rumours that he gets a bonus if he speaks during at least 60% of the airtime.

Eddie Glaude's political advice didn't help Clinton in 2016.

Eddie's political advice in 2016 was criminal. I won't forgive or forget 

Edited by tres bien
  • Like 6

I’ve had a hell of a week, so I haven’t tuned it at all. Finally had a chance to rest this morning, so I poured some coffee and turned on MJ. While the show wasn’t much to write home about today, it was so nice not to hear the bloviating (Joe) and faux-feminist cooing (Mika). 

• Like 6
2 hours ago, Newsreader said:

I’ve had a hell of a week, so I haven’t tuned it at all. Finally had a chance to rest this morning, so I poured some coffee and turned on MJ. While the show wasn’t much to write home about today, it was so nice not to hear the bloviating (Joe) and faux-feminist cooing (Mika). 

I agree. 6 am is too early to have to deal with Joe and Mika and their bs. I want to fix breakfast have a cup of coffee and just listen to some political chat. Not deal with Joe yelling about whatever, and Mika going back and forth between scribbling and gazing at him like she's a 14 year old girl and he's 2 front row tickets to a Taylor Swift concert.

Speaking of Mika, she posted a pic of them before they go "to work". She has her hair in curlers and is wearing pajamas, he's in a suit coat and tie with pajama bottoms.   Like it's such a fun joke. 

FFS Mika you don't think we know you two are at home and barely awake let alone dressed appropriately to be on a tv news show? 

• LOL 4

Mika & Joe are back. The first topic is that women under 45 say that abortion is the top issue. Joe said Trump keeps switching his position on abortion.

Joe was happy that Harris was leading Trump 52-46

• Like 1

Mika was outraged that Trump said that Minnesota allows babies to be executed.

Lemire called it a firehall  of falsehoods.

Lemire defended Harris flip flopping on fracking.

Willie said that abortions after 21 weeks are rare.

• Like 2

Mika blamed Bibi for not doing enough to get a cease-fire in Gaza.

Joe is mad at people who are criticizing Biden.

Joe blamed Bibi & Trump for letting Qatar fund Hamas.

• Like 2
2 minutes ago, oakville said:

Joe is mad at Bibi for expanding Israeli settlements in the West Bank.

Yeah so is the rest of the world.   What a brave stance to take, Joe. 

• Like 3
28 minutes ago, oakville said:

Mika was outraged that Trump said that Minnesota allows babies to be executed.

Lemire called it a firehall  of falsehoods.

Lemire defended Harris flip flopping on fracking.

Willie said that abortions after 21 weeks are rare.

Why does no one call out Trump to his face when he starts in with the baby execution BS

Everytime he says that he should be stopped by the reporter and told you're not telling the truth 

Of course he's using MN specifically because he actually thought he could win MN before POTUS dropped out

• Like 5
20 minutes ago, tres bien said:

It's official. Katy Kay is useless 

Katty provides the British gravitas that the show needs. I remember when Katty showed pictures of her family castle in Wales.

• LOL 4
(edited)

Does the BBC have Americans commenting on their politics/elections?  I know the US reports on politics in the UK but do we editorialize as much about them as they do about us.  Maybe Katty could get off her high horse and explain why GB still lets a family of grifters who think they have a God given right to be advisors on the British government's business live off the taxpayers and own land and wealth they stole. 

At least in the US we try to stop criminals.  Seems like GB has a bunch of them operating in plain sight.  FFS even the pedophile got away with it with his own mother's help. She paid off his victim and "took" a couple of his titles away. Poor baby. 

Edited by SeanBug
  • Like 3
1 hour ago, SeanBug said:

Does the BBC have Americans commenting on their politics/elections?  I know the US reports on politics in the UK but do we editorialize as much about them as they do about us.  Maybe Katty could get off her high horse and explain why GB still lets a family of grifters who think they have a God given right to be advisors on the British government's business live off the taxpayers and own land and wealth they stole. 

At least in the US we try to stop criminals.  Seems like GB has a bunch of them operating in plain sight.  FFS even the pedophile got away with it with his own mother's help. She paid off his victim and "took" a couple of his titles away. Poor baby. 

Katty Kay has been a strong supporter of the Royal Family. Katty was Morning Joe's royal correspondent during Harry's & Megan's wedding. Katty said that Megan wore a nice dress.

• Like 2
5 hours ago, oakville said:

Katty provides the British gravitas that the show needs. I remember when Katty showed pictures of her family castle in Wales.

Joe seems to like to always have Brit guests on the show. There's Katty, and then that male guy that's on a lot. And a few others. I think he thinks a British accent means the person is especially sophisticated, or something.

• Like 3
2 hours ago, Pike Ludwell said:

Joe seems to like to always have Brit guests on the show. There's Katty, and then that male guy that's on a lot. And a few others. I think he thinks a British accent means the person is especially sophisticated, or something.

I don't know what Joe's issues are, but he would benefit from therapy to get to the root of his anger issues, and his mistaken notion that he knows more than everyone else. 

• Like 3
3 hours ago, Pike Ludwell said:

Ed Luce comes from a very prestigious British family. His dad worked for the Queen.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edward_Luce

• Like 2
  • Useful 2
17 minutes ago, SeanBug said:

I don't know what Joe's issues are, but he would benefit from therapy to get to the root of his anger issues, and his mistaken notion that he knows more than everyone else. 

He oozes testosterone and the idea that he is irreplaceable.  But face it....I can't name one Friend of Show or regular panelist/analyst who could step in and do the hosting job on a daily basis. There are toadies, snobs, chair-fillers and Nepo People galore.  But not one I would want to see and listen to first thing in the morning. Show would have to have a complete overhaul.  So yes, Joe seems to be able to do and say just about anything he wants. I would still rather listen to him than Meeka, Willie, Barnicle and Katty Kay.

• Like 4
2 minutes ago, oakville said:

Ed Luce comes from a very prestigious British family. His dad worked for the Queen.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edward_Luce

Ed is quite the fancy boy, isn't he?  No wonder Joe wants him on the show. 

Joe it's time you realize people come on your little show not because they like you, but because they're promoting themselves or something they did. 

Denial ain't just a river in Egypt, Joey. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1
27 minutes ago, SeanBug said:

In 2010, Joe was interested in becoming the GOP candidate for Senate in Florida. Mika & Joe filmed several episodes of Morning Joe in Florida during the Gulf oil spill. Joe showed that he cared about the environment & was opposed to oil drilling in Florida. Joe demanded that the GOP remove Gov Charlie Crist & Marco Rubio from the race. The GOP didn't honour his request, so Joe got mad and signed a new contract with MSNBC. Mika was happy because the show would be cancelled if Joe became Senator. Rubio won the race & was re-elected in 2016 & 2022. Joe is stuck on cable TV, but he feels he could have used the Florida Senate seat to run for President.

• Like 1
  • Wink 1
  • Thanks 1
5 minutes ago, Kemper said:

He oozes testosterone and the idea that he is irreplaceable.  But face it....I can't name one Friend of Show or regular panelist/analyst who could step in and do the hosting job on a daily basis. There are toadies, snobs, chair-fillers and Nepo People galore.  But not one I would want to see and listen to first thing in the morning. Show would have to have a complete overhaul.  So yes, Joe seems to be able to do and say just about anything he wants. I would still rather listen to him than Meeka, Willie, Barnicle and Katty Kay.

I'd rather listen to anyone other than that lot, including Joe.  Except Willie. 

I won't include Willie in that, he is pretty innocuous and isn't really an egotistical loud mouth like Joe.  I quite enjoyed last week while they were riding around the island on their boat and Joe was probably writing more of his stupid songs. 

• Like 2

Now we're in the romanticizing Ronald Reagan and the good old days of the Republican party 

If you want to know how your party got from there to here just look at every Republican in elected office

• Like 2
(edited)
1 hour ago, tres bien said:

Now we're in the romanticizing Ronald Reagan and the good old days of the Republican party 

If you want to know how your party got from there to here just look at every Republican in elected office

Man I've been waiting for this.  Over the weekend I re-watched Angels in America, the HBO mini series adapted from Tony Kushner's play. 

So let's set the story straight about Ronnie and some of his legacy. 

Roy Cohn has a significant part in this story.  At various times in Angels in America Roy mentions advising Nancy Reagan.  I did a bit of a deep dive and found not only photos of Roy Cohn in the Oval Office with Reagan and Rupert Murdoch, but that Cohn worked with Roger Stone to help get Reagan elected.  

Joe your hero Reagan was partially indebted to Roy Cohn for being elected. 

In the 1980s, Nancy Reagan apparently even called Cohn to thank him for getting her husband elected to office.  I'm sure everything was on the up and up if Stone and Cohn were involved. 

And as far as Joe and David French talking about how Dobbs decision could have been good for America.  I for one do not need a couple of old white men telling women how good banning abortion would be for everyone.  It's really easy for people to decide for themselves whether to have an abortion without the government getting involved.  DON'T HAVE ONE. 

Boys I hate to tell you but MAGA is a result of Ronald Reagan. Reagan was just much better at pushing his bullshit as kindness, where Trump pushes his bullshit with fear. 

Edited by SeanBug
  • Like 4
  • Angry 2
4 hours ago, tres bien said:

Joe said he had a poster of Reagan & the Confederate Battle Flag in his dorm room when he was in college. He was a big fan of the Dukes of Hazzard. He didn't like Boss Hogg.

• Angry 1

The top story today was that the Red Sox could miss the playoffs. Joe is upset & says the season is over. They are doing better than expected but other teams are winning more games.

Mika is happy with the CNN poll. Harris is ahead in all the swing states except Arizona. She is tied in Pennsylvania.

• Like 2