Type keyword(s) to search

Morning Joe: All Episodes Talk

Message added by dubbel zout

Discussion of the hosts regarding a specific episode is fine here, but generalized discussion of the hosts go in the The Hosts Thread: Joe and Mika Know Their Value. 

• Start Topic

10 minutes ago, tres bien said:

As a Minnesotan our Gov is the best! Minnesota is the home of VP's!

Mika said that Walz would help secure Minnesota for the Democrats. Mika also mentioned that the last Democratic VP from Minnesota, Mondale supported Jimmy Carter's decision to appoint her dad as NSA.

• Wink 1
1 hour ago, oakville said:

Mika said that Walz would help secure Minnesota for the Democrats. Mika also mentioned that the last Democratic VP from Minnesota, Mondale supported Jimmy Carter's decision to appoint her dad as NSA.

Minnesota hasn't voted for a Republican president since Nixon in 1972.

Also Hubert Humphrey was LBJ's VP

• Like 1
11 hours ago, tres bien said:

Minnesota hasn't voted for a Republican president since Nixon in 1972.

Also Hubert Humphrey was LBJ's VP

I am not sure Mika was aware of those facts. She didn't follow politics before her dad became NSA in 1977.

• Like 1
  • Useful 1

Mika was happy that the rally yesterday showed Joy. Mika said Shapiro is extremely talented and will work hard in Pennsylvania to elect Harris.

Joe is happy that Kamala is exceeding expectations in her speech yesterday.

Joe said Democrats were worried about Kamala before Biden dropped out of the race.

Joe called Tim folksy.

Joe said the GOP will expose Gov Tim's weaknesses. Joe is opposed to Trump's grievance politics.

Joe said Reagan was more hopeful than Carter's malaise. Mika made a frownie face.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Joe said the GOP will attack Walz over his handling of the riots in Minneapolis in 2020, his positions on transgender rights & his handling of Covid.

Charlie Sykes was surprised & disappointed by Walz. He preferred  Shapiro.

• Like 1

Chris Matthews said Harris could win the election. Walz was like Jack Benny.

Matthews said Harris was John Wayne last night. She isn't a Jane Fonda candidate. I have to explain to my Gen Z daughter who these people are.

Joe said he is focused on ideology.

Jonathan Martin said Tim is a comfort food pick. Shapiro is a much more dynamic speaker who will upstage her.

• Like 2
  • LOL 2

Donny Deutsch was disappointed that Shapiro wasn't picked for VP.

However, later that afternoon, he said he liked the Coach.

Donny likes the branding of the campaign.

• Wink 1
  • LOL 1

Donnie and his branding can go jump in a lake. How on earth would Jane Fonda's name come up? How? Who else but Matthews.  Of course Joe brought up Reagan; when hasn't he when he gets the chance.  And who knew Meeka watches Ted Lasso? 

Is anyone else tired of hearing the same droning opinions from the same guests all the time? At this point Chris Matthews is unintended comic relief. Jane Fonda! 😂

• Like 2
  • Useful 1
  • LOL 2

According to reporters in the know it was pretty clear that Governor Shapiro was not going to play #2. He's young, charismatic with obvious eyes on a presidential run in the future.

These people, especially the Republicans and "former" Republicans are trying to spin it every which way they can. The other campaign is trying to label the Jews as being anti sematic. We're not and most of us aren't dumb enough to pay them any mind

• Like 2
  • Applause 1
  • Love 1
33 minutes ago, Kemper said:

Donnie and his branding can go jump in a lake. How on earth would Jane Fonda's name come up? How? Who else but Matthews.  Of course Joe brought up Reagan; when hasn't he when he gets the chance.  And who knew Meeka watches Ted Lasso? 

Is anyone else tired of hearing the same droning opinions from the same guests all the time? At this point Chris Matthews is unintended comic relief. Jane Fonda! 😂

I bought Chris Matthews's book about 20 years ago. I remember him calling candidates Fonda or Wayne. He also used the terms Daddy or Mommy issues. Daddy was Defence & Mommy was Social Security. Chris was forced into retirement in 2020, so he's happy to be back on TV.

Morning Joe provides employment opportunities for pundits who would otherwise be unemployed.

Morning Joe reminds me of the Love Boat. The show would cast actors whose shows had been cancelled. The actors would appear for an episode or 2 per season with different names etc. It helped them get their SAG benefits etc.

• LOL 1
  • Love 2

Barnicle said that people will run into Coach Walz at a gas station or supermarket.

Joe left the show for the third hour.

Mika said that Walz is better at butter carving than Trump.

• Wink 1
  • LOL 1
(edited)
22 hours ago, oakville said:

Chris Matthews said Harris could win the election. Walz was like Jack Benny.

Matthews said Harris was John Wayne last night. She isn't a Jane Fonda candidate. I have to explain to my Gen Z daughter who these people are.

Joe said he is focused on ideology.

Jonathan Martin said Tim is a comfort food pick. Shapiro is a much more dynamic speaker who will upstage her.

I heard Matthews say that and had to wonder just wtf point he thought he was making.  John Wayne was a staunch conservative, and a very hawkish one at that. I know of Vietnam veterans who did not care for his stance on that war. In addition, he made movies that glamorized the slaughter of Native Americans. 

No one cared for what Jane did as far as posing with North Vietnamese soldiers, but she did bring attention to the fact that Vietnam was a terrible war that we never should have been involved in. 

Comparing Kamala Harris to John Wayne or Jane Fonda is so idiotic it just defies explanation.   

What was Mika talking to Andrew Ross  Sorkin about? Streaming tv and projecting it onto a wall? So she bought a $50 projector from Amazon and thinks that's almost as good as using a 60 inch tv with 4K UHD capabilities?

Woman you own homes with plenty of rooms to hang a large tv.  Also, aren't you the person who "doesn't watch tv" because it's beneath you? 

Edited by SeanBug
  • Like 2
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1

Groan.  Only half an hour in and already it's American history class with John Meacham.  Today's lecture: 50 years since Nixon's resignation.

I guess nothing else important is happening in the country that a large chunk of time should be devoted to the resignation of a President who, if his crimes were committed today, would get away scot-free, courtesy of the Supreme Court.

Did Scarborough just say Alger Hiss?

Way to bring in the millennial viewers, Joe.

They played some clips from Trump's alleged press conference yesterday.  Suppose I should be grateful it was only clips.   I was stunned MSNBC ran it in its entirety yesterday, with no fact-checking.  Then again, MSNBC platformed Steven Miller/Mr. Burns on Ari Melber for more than half an hour the night before, again with so much Gish-galloping that Melber was unable to refute all the propaganda.  Maybe something is at the work behind the scenes at MSNBC.

• Like 4
On 8/7/2024 at 12:29 PM, oakville said:

Morning Joe reminds me of the Love Boat. The show would cast actors whose shows had been cancelled. The actors would appear for an episode or 2 per season with different names etc. It helped them get their SAG benefits etc.

Ha!

Around here, the Love Boat analogy is often used, as in "That's the Love Boat of cable news shows."

isaac.jpeg

• LOL 3

Nixon resigning was a pretty big deal.   It led to the lack of trust people have in government and the rise of importance of the free press, to the point that their self importance started overshadowing the events they cover.

I don't really think Joe cares what demographic watches the show, in regard to his comment about Alger Hiss and discussing Nixon and his legacy.  For as much as we know the crimes Nixon committed, he was, as Joe and Meacham said, a rather left leaning Republican. It was Joe's buddy Reagan who turned the Republican Party into the nightmare it has become. 

And that leads to my beef with Joe this morning; his waxing poetic about Ronald Reagan, and quoting Peggy Noonan and the WSJ.  Sure Joe, Ronald Reagan and his lovely smile, while he screwed over the middle class and poor, completely ignored the AIDS crisis, and ended his administration mired in scandal. To the point George HW Bush had to pardon a bunch of people to keep them from testifying.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scandals_of_the_Ronald_Reagan_administration

I didn't even know Peggy Noonan was still a thing, and I couldn't care less what the WSJ has to say.  Even the old guard of the Republican Party would rather have Trump in office, for all their bellyaching about him.  It's all about the clicks, and when Americans are freaking out about the person in the Oval Office, they tend to pay more attention to what the media is saying.

I watched the entire Trump "press conference".  They cut it off at around 2:58 pm,  (I'm not aware of how much longer it went on) and Chris Jansing  fact checked and refuted a lot of what he said.  There was so much to cover  it would be hard to have it all ready right after they went back to regular programming. I know my head was spinning so I can't imagine having to watch that and then get back to work. I figured they sent the interns to the liquor store so they could cope with what they had just endured. 

And I imagine they know most people who watch MSNBC realize what Trump was saying was just his normal nonsense, to put it mildly. 

• Like 3
  • Applause 4

Joe is solo today. Katty, Lemire,Heilmann are there. Katty is excited about using the terms weird to describe Trump & joyful to describe Harris.

The polls are trending in favour of Harris.

It's the 50th anniversary of the resignation of Nixon.

Jaime Harrison will be a guest.

• Like 3

Stop reading dribble by Peggy Noonan or the WSJ period.

So much hand wringing  this morning over Trump's mental fitness or rather lack there of.

The Republicans got who they wanted since November 2020. The majority believes the election was stolen. They've never stopped wearing they're MAGA hats, flying their Trump flags and displaying they're Trump bumper stickers for the past 3 1/2 years.

Let's move on 

• Love 1

There is a new commercial for Morning Joe. It shows Mika, Joe & Willie asking questions about Kamala Harris. There are clips of Joe walking to Capitol Hill with Mika following him.

• LOL 2
5 minutes ago, Kemper said:

I am shocked…shocked…that any woman who knows her value would walk behind Her Man. Shocked!

Don't forget whose value ($) supersedes Mika's value (ego). 

For all the squabbling and side eyes, she knows how her bread gets buttered. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, oakville said:

Jaime Harrison will be a guest.

How exciting! Head of the DNC. I wonder what he'll say. Should be as interesting as Mitch Landrieu (co-chair of the re-election committee) yesterday. My point is it would be more interesting if they had more diverse guests, like they used to. Not just purveyors of the party line. What happened to those guys from Commentary they used to have way back when?

• Like 2
51 minutes ago, Pike Ludwell said:

How exciting! Head of the DNC. I wonder what he'll say. Should be as interesting as Mitch Landrieu (co-chair of the re-election committee) yesterday. My point is it would be more interesting if they had more diverse guests, like they used to. Not just purveyors of the party line. What happened to those guys from Commentary they used to have way back when?

Joe's doctor advised him to avoid having any guests with different political opinions on the show. It raises his blood pressure & his tantrums upset Mika.

• LOL 3
5 hours ago, tres bien said:

So much hand wringing  this morning over Trump's mental fitness or rather lack there of.

I switched off when they started becoming apologists for his mental malaise, with baseless speculation that it may be attributed it to the assassination attempt.  

• Like 2
3 hours ago, millennium said:

I switched off when they started becoming apologists for his mental malaise, with baseless speculation that it may be attributed it to the assassination attempt.  

Mika & Joe frequently called on VP Pence to invoke the 25th Amendment to remove Trump from power when he was President. Practically every show mentioned Trump's bizarre comments on any issues. They also demanded that Trump be sent for a medical evaluation after his outbursts on Twitter.

Joe hasn't made the same claims during this campaign.

Did MSNBC warn Joe about making medical assessments of Presidential candidates?

Joe has acknowledged that he doesn't have a medical degree, but he was a fan of the TV show ER & did receive a complimentary series boxed DVD a few years ago.

• LOL 2

I just happened to turn on MJ right before 10 am. They had me at Walton Goggins.  He is always fantastic in everything, he and Timothy Olyphant in Justified is a ride no one should miss. 

I watched a little of the first episode of Fallout, I think I may go back and check it out again.  Like Joe, I never play video games so telling me a show is based on a game isn't how you hook me. For example, I had no idea what The Last of Us game was either, I watched the first season on my niece's recommendation. It is incredible.  A younger coworker and I bonded over it, to the point where we would talk about it and a customer would over hear us and go "OMG are you talking about The Last of Us".   

See, different generations can get along, we have more in common than we think. 🤣

• Like 2

Joe is excited about the crowds at the Harris campaign events. Joe is wearing his navy blue election sweater. He is in a different location than Mika.

Joe mocked Trump for saying Harris faked her crowd size with AI.

Mika said Willie Brown was not in a helicopter with Trump.

George Conway is a special guest.

Joe is happy that Harris is leading in the 3 Blue Wall states.

Joe said Trump is doing the opposite of everything his advisors are telling him to do. Stop talking about crowd sizes & January 6th.

Conway said Trump is deeply unwell.

He wants the Trump family to take him to the hospital. He called him a sociopath.

• Like 3
  • Useful 1

Charlie Sykes said Trump will do anything to get elected to avoid jail.

Joe said everyone was excited about Nikki Haley. The GOP should have picked her to run.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, tres bien said:

The first half hour annoyed the hell out of me. What is the point of psychoanalyzing Trump everyday

Mika,Joe & George Conway are experts in psychoanalyzing Trump. They have been doing this since 2016. If Trump wins the election, they will do it for another 4 years.

Mika & Joe also claim to be experts in analyzing Biden. Joe said Biden was in the best shape of his life this spring.

• Wink 1
  • LOL 1
2 hours ago, tres bien said:

The first half hour annoyed the hell out of me. What is the point of psychoanalyzing Trump everyday

This and the overall refashioning of Trump that MSBC is attempting is just maddening to watch. "Trump is now crazed! Trump is now unhinged!"

Trump is Trumping the same way he has always Trumped since the 1970s. The only thing that's changed is MSNBC thinks they've found a ticket they believe will attract viewers. Hopefully if Harris wins the network will not once again subject us to their push of Trump as the de facto republican leader and will instead only call out the members of the party still beholden to idiocy. 

• Like 3
  • Applause 2
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, chick binewski said:

This and the overall refashioning of Trump that MSBC is attempting is just maddening to watch. "Trump is now crazed! Trump is now unhinged!"

Trump is Trumping the same way he has always Trumped since the 1970s. The only thing that's changed is MSNBC thinks they've found a ticket they believe will attract viewers. Hopefully if Harris wins the network will not once again subject us to their push of Trump as the de facto republican leader and will instead only call out the members of the party still beholden to idiocy. 

Thank you!!!! 

Why is anyone acting shocked at anything Trump is doing?  He hasn't changed other than he may be even more unhinged than before.

I watched the press conference last Thursday, it was like the press conferences he would hold when he first got into office. Just utter insanity to the point the viewer starts questioning their own mental status. As in, what is wrong with me that I'm subjecting myself to this?

• Like 5
  • Applause 1
  • Love 1
13 minutes ago, SeanBug said:

Thank you!!!! 

Why is anyone acting shocked at anything Trump is doing?  He hasn't changed other than he may be even more unhinged than before.

I watched the press conference last Thursday, it was like the press conferences he would hold when he first got into office. Just utter insanity to the point the viewer starts questioning their own mental status. As in, what is wrong with me that I'm subjecting myself to this?

If Trump wins the election, Mika & Joe will have another 4-year contract to be critics of whatever the Trump administration does. Based on their current contracts, it's a 64 million dollar question for Mika & Joe.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

FFS 10 minutes into the show and Joe's reading from the Wall Street Journal. Again

Just stop. This is not an independent newspaper. It's a Rupert Murdock owned print version of FOX

• Love 2
1 hour ago, tres bien said:

FFS 10 minutes into the show and Joe's reading from the Wall Street Journal. Again

Just stop. This is not an independent newspaper. It's a Rupert Murdock owned print version of FOX

Joe gets a free subscription to the Wall Street Journal. Joe used to write a column for the Washington Post. Mika would read his column on air. It was foreplay for them.

• LOL 1

Joe said his parents started voting Republican after the 1968 riots in Chicago.

Joe's dad was mad at people burning their draft cards & American flags.

• Angry 1
(edited)

Hour 2 was pretty good, because they had a bunch of interesting special guests. So, the lame regular guest's roles were minimized. The downside was  Katty Kay talking about how great Britain is and terrible the US is because of their short election length.

I loved it the other day when Joe made a point of asking Katty about the crazy racial/anti-immigrant stuff happening in Britain. He had to sort of go out of the way, as there are lots of bigger things that could be discussed. I sort of think Joe gets it about the irritation of Katty, every chance she gets, preaching Britain and Europe are so great and the US so horrible.

Edited by Pike Ludwell
  • Like 3
(edited)

This morning Joe was reliving the glory days of true Conservatism again. (Joe has "Conservative" and "Reagan" tourettes). Also the times of government financial responsibility. 

Regarding his father being mad when young men burned their draft cards? He didn't have to worry about getting drafted into the Vietnam War.  Remember when the nickname "Morning Douche" was used in this forum?  Now those were Glory Days. 

Edited by Kemper
  • Like 2
  • Applause 1
  • LOL 2

Nikki Haley is so ridiculous. Guess she doesn't remember that Trump called her a bird brain and made other insulting comments about her and her family earlier this year 

• Like 2