Type keyword(s) to search

Morning Joe: All Episodes Talk

Message added by dubbel zout

Discussion of the hosts regarding a specific episode is fine here, but generalized discussion of the hosts go in the The Hosts Thread: Joe and Mika Know Their Value. 

• Start Topic

40 minutes ago, oakville said:

Joe said he was lied to by MSNBC. There was supposed to be a continuous news feed all day. it didn't happen & now Joe says he will quit if the network ever does that to him again. Mika seemed to be nervous about quitting the show.

Joe is outraged at the SS. The SS should not leave Trump exposed on the stage.

They should have known about the shooter on the roof.

This is very strange because on Sunday CNN's website reported that MSNBC had changed Monday's programming and it was with Joe and Mika's consent. Today CNN's website reports that Joe and Mika are basically pissed and say they were lied to.

They do seem as though they were lied to but I doubt they'd quit they'll probably get a pay raise 

• Like 3

Joe criticized Lester Holt for asking Joe Biden about putting a Bulls Eye on Trump in a private phone call. Joe wanted Holt to ask about Trump's joking about Paul Pelosi.

Will Lester Holt apologize to Joe Scarborough?

Biden told Rev Al that he will stay in the race & continue to be President.

• Like 1
(edited)

What I heard was MSNBC would preempt all regular programming for "breaking news" coverage of the shooting.  And then pick up live coverage of the RNC. 

Byron York is a reporter for the Washington Examiner, so I take anything he or anyone from that paper says with a lot of salt.  These conservative sites/papers love to trash MJ and MSNBC in general. 

Joe was just throwing his weight around. For $8 million a year, they could preempt my ass every day.  They can't quit, where else would Mika get a job?   Are there a lot of cake baking/icing positions open in Florida? Or Maine?  I guess she always has TikTok influencer she can fall back on. 

But for Joe, it's an insult that he isn't allowed to critique everything that happened.  And I don't for one minute think the network believed he would say something untoward about the shooting.  

I mean, he's back on air today and he didn't say anything did he? 

Edited by SeanBug
  • Like 2
6 hours ago, oakville said:

Will Lester Holt apologize to Joe Scarborough?

I think Lester should apologize to Biden. Some of the stuff he said was pretty rude.  But Biden held his own and pushed back quite well. He seemed like he was the same Joe and even a bit livelier. 

• Like 4

Too bad MSNBC wasn't as judicious with their concern for Mika & Joe's relationship with Trump and their commentary in 2015-2016.

But let's just continue with the fiction that this company isn't itching to get this disaster back in office.

• Like 3
  • Love 1
(edited)

Today Scarborough dons his hat as Biden flack again.

He brings up how certain past Presidential candidates have been down (or up) by several points at this point in the election cycle, only to upend expectations on election day.

Thing is, Scarborough completely ignores the fact that not one of those previous examples stood before the nation and had a 90-minute senior moment.

He omits that each and every one of those previous examples had the ability to clearly and stridently campaign against their opponent.   They did not cause their supporters to pre-emptively cringe every time the candidate opened his or her mouth (as George Clooney stated, and which was discussed in a previous episode of MJ).

There is no historical precedent for this situation, and Scarborough knows it, which makes his heavy-handed reliance on historical precedents seem like gaslighting.

Edited by millennium
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Applause 2

If I wanted to watch a one-sided political discussion show....I would watch Fox.  The little I saw this morning - the over-the-top shilling of one candidate was embarrassing from the hosts.  Especially the one who usually prides himself on barking his opinions.

• Like 3

Monday's insult of Mika and Joe makes me realize how insulting it was to us viewers too.

Yeah the constant cheerleading is what I expect but it's getting old since there's nothing we can do and the people who can have their own agenda 

• Like 2

Joe consoled Katty Kay for England losing the Euro finale.

Joe was happy that the Red Sox player was the star of the game.

Joe recommended that the Red Sox draft Duran.

• Like 1

Joe is mad at Nikki Haley & Ron DeSantis for endorsing Trump. They said harsh things about Trump during the primary but now support him.

Heilman admitted that Kamala said mean things about Biden but accepted being nominated VP.

Katty Kay said that Trump has entire control of the party.

The panel is sad that the Republicans are uniting under Trump.

• Like 1

Joe said Dukakis & Hillary lost big leads.

Joe said he was right by saying that Biden could win in 2020 & Trump could win in 2016.

Joe said he was right about the red wave.

Joe cherry-picked a poll showing Biden within 1 point of Trump.

Joe forgot that Biden won by 4 points in 2020 but came within 50,000 votes in 3 states of losing the Electoral College.  Hillary won by 2 points in 2016 and lost the EC by 74 votes.

Joe said Biden gave the worst tv debate performance in history but is still competitive.

Joe defended Biden's press conference performance.

Joe is shouting about Biden being gaffe-prone since 1988.

Joe said America is a 46-46 country.

Democrats have to fish or cut bait.

Joe is not sure if Pelosi or Obama are trying to undermine Biden.

The base supports Biden.

Joe said Biden is staying. He could tell stories about Obama officials being mean to Biden when he was VP.

Mika said the Democrats have to unify. Mika expected the polls to move more against Biden.

Mika was proud of Biden having a news conference after 8 pm!

Joe blamed big donors for abandoning Biden.

Joe said NH & Minnesota & Virginia were in play before the debate. It's not true.

Heilmann did not agree with Joe.

Joe's new talking point is that Biden is doing very well in the polls despite his poor debate performance.

• Like 1
52 minutes ago, oakville said:

Mika was excited about Biden's Supreme Court reforms. It would have term limits.

It needs the support of 60 Senators & Congress.

Mika is so naive it makes me want to cry

• Like 3
58 minutes ago, tres bien said:

Mika is so naive it makes me want to cry

Just the thought that Biden is now ready to do something about the Supreme Court is huge, and it could help down ballot Democrats.  We need enough in Senate and House to get the Court changed as far as term limits and the number of justices.  

Yes it's a tall order, but to put it out there makes people think that maybe Dems are ready to put their big boy/girl pants on and get in the fight.

• Like 2
(edited)
10 hours ago, Kemper said:

If I wanted to watch a one-sided political discussion show....I would watch Fox.  The little I saw this morning - the over-the-top shilling of one candidate was embarrassing from the hosts.

Lawrence O'Donnell is all in too.   I stopped watching him two weeks ago but from time to time see items on mediaite of Lawrence describing this or that Biden speech as a "master class."

I can't do unreality.

Edited by millennium
  • Like 2
7 hours ago, oakville said:

Joe is mad at Nikki Haley & Ron DeSantis for endorsing Trump. They said harsh things about Trump during the primary but now support him.

Didn't The Twins all but endorse Trump back when they were starting their media and social climbing?

And yes, to millennium re L O'Donnell - I haven't been able to watch him probably over a year. I used to love him.

• Like 1
34 minutes ago, Kemper said:

Didn't The Twins all but endorse Trump back when they were starting their media and social climbing?

And yes, to millennium re L O'Donnell - I haven't been able to watch him probably over a year. I used to love him.

I am happy that Lawrence was a writer on the West Wing. It was an excellent show.

Mika & Joe forgot that they were considered to be supporters of Trump during the primaries in 2016, then got mad at him in the summer of 2016 & once again supported him after the Access Hollywood Debate. Joe was happy that Trump called him when Joe's son fell down the stairs and was hospitalized.

How Joe made up with Trump.

https://www.politico.com/story/2016/12/donald-trump-morning-joe-scarborough-232094

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

Joe gets called out for flip-flopping on Trump is a Nazi

28 minutes ago, Pike Ludwell said:

I don't recall them supporting Trump back around 2015-16. They had him calling in a lot, but that doesn't mean they supported him. Certainly Mika wouldn't have. I think it's just that he was just a figure in the news to boost ratings.

Now we're hearing pressure's stepping up on Biden and also that Biden has Covid. So, the show will be interesting tomorrow.

Trump called them supporters in 2016. They were watching election results with him in NH. You can review the recaps of the show during the 2016 primaries. Mika & Joe were very favourable to Trump. Mika used to run her fingers into his hair when Trump appeared live on the show.

• Like 1
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, Pike Ludwell said:

I don't recall them supporting Trump back around 2015-16. They had him calling in a lot, but that doesn't mean they supported him. Certainly Mika wouldn't have. I think it's just that he was just a figure in the news to boost ratings.

Now we're hearing pressure's stepping up on Biden and also that Biden has Covid. So, the show will be interesting tomorrow.

Joe's promotion of Trump became problematic enough that the media was reporting on it and peers were citing it as completely inappropriate.  Although the eventual fallout happened around Joe & Mika's engagement, Mika had attended some of those social dinners and was there when DJTJ (presumably - Mika only mentioned it was a family member) said "we're not going to look at history" when it came to policy. 

IMO Clinton was the one candidate that could possibly lose to Trump (for reasons that are most def off-topic) and Joe absolutely ran with this, selling Trump as the "who knows this could be good!" alternative. 

Hopefully MJ will report on the covid diagnosis tomorrow bc no one else is. 

• Like 2
4 hours ago, millennium said:

Lawrence O'Donnell is all in too.   I stopped watching him two weeks ago but from time to time see items on mediaite of Lawrence describing this or that Biden speech as a "master class."

I can't do unreality.

Here's the thing - Biden is still capable of articulating policy. He still recognizes checks & balances. The experience, the understanding, the knowledge is still there (imo to an astonishing degree if you measure it against the debate performance)

One year senator and terrible author JD Vance is blaming the media for anything he may have ever said, nepotee DJTJ is currently addressing the former republican party and citing a book that calls  anyone who disagrees with his daddy as "vermin", and no one is asking Trump why he put secret service lives in danger with his ridiculous fist pumps.

I get what you're saying but I'm really really mad and I'm running out of wine. 

• Like 7
22 minutes ago, chick binewski said:

Here's the thing - Biden is still capable of articulating policy. He still recognizes checks & balances. The experience, the understanding, the knowledge is still there (imo to an astonishing degree if you measure it against the debate performance)

One year senator and terrible author JD Vance is blaming the media for anything he may have ever said, nepotee DJTJ is currently addressing the former republican party and citing a book that calls  anyone who disagrees with his daddy as "vermin", and no one is asking Trump why he put secret service lives in danger with his ridiculous fist pumps.

I get what you're saying but I'm really really mad and I'm running out of wine. 

I agree with you and Joe Scarborough about Biden's experience, understanding and knowledge.   But the man is simply unable to express it in a powerful or even convincing way.   To use a metaphor you might relate to, your vineyard may have the finest wine for miles around, but what good is it if you can't get it out of the bottle?

• Like 2
14 minutes ago, millennium said:

To use a metaphor you might relate to, your vineyard may have the finest wine for miles around, but what good is it if you can't get it out of the bottle?

I am just unable to get past the alternative: a rancid, ancient, lead-based swill that causes psychosis.

• Like 6

Mika's demeanor seems different this morning. I think she got a dose of reality overnight 

Joe. Please. Don't compare LBJ in March of 1968 to July (nearly August) of 2024. It's been three weeks of a free fall 

And stop with the tragedy of Saturday then say it's been a blockbuster for their fundraising 

☹️

• Like 2
11 hours ago, chick binewski said:

He would call in most days and had free reign to say whatever for as long as he liked.  Joe thought Trump equaled ratings and considered him a useful idiot in that regard.  But at the same time Joe refused to have Hillary on and was actively opposed to her.  He thought there was no way Trump would win, so Joe felt free to make it hard for Hillary...  figuring he could attack her and give oxygen to the lies and propaganda surrounding her as a free hit while maintaining his conservative bona fides. 
That is what he did to get Trump elected.  He, to some degree, normalized Trump as a political figure while suppressing support of Hillary and purposefully dampened enthusiasm to vote for her.
I don't think Campaigning Hillary was once on Morning Joe.

• Like 4

Mika & Joe criticized Hillary Clinton for refusing to fly to the NY studio to appear for an interview during the campaign.

The Clinton campaign did ask Mika & Joe to fly & meet her for an interview where she was campaigning. Mika thought it was absurd that someone of her fame & calibre had to travel to where the nominee was. Mika knew her value.

Joe called Hillary the worst Presidential candidate in history.

Recap of Mourning Joe.

Joe said the Secret Service has to explain what happened during the shooting.

It's never a good day for Biden when Mike Allen is on the air.

• Like 2

Joe compared this election to 1968.

Joe said after he got off the air, Jeffries & Schumer want Biden to step down.

Pelosi is calling Democrats in vulnerable seats.

Joe is confusing me. On the one hand, he says polls are OK for Biden, but Democrats are freaking out in vulnerable House seats.

65% of Democrats want Biden to quit.

Katzenberg says donations are down for Biden.

• Like 1

Joe said Carter was leading in the polls the week before the election & lost in a landslide the week later.

Joe said Biden cannot win if 2/3 of Democrats want him to quit.

Mika trusts Joe Biden & Nancy Pelosi. Pelosi knows her numbers & her value.

• Like 1

Kamala would accept the Presidential nomination according to Nobles.

Heilmann said Biden cannot transfer delegates to Harris but his endorsement would help.

Heilmann said the media have not vetted other Governors.

Heilann said Biden will only listen to Pelosi,Schumer, Jeffries & Clyburn.

• Like 1

Mike Allen said Harris will run on Roe vs Wade.

Russia's Foreign Minister Lavrov supports Vance. Yikes !

Vance doesn't care about Ukraine.

• Like 2

Ukraine's war is a war or necessity. Haas said Ukraine has fought Russia to a standstill.

American troops might have to go to NATO countries to fight against Russia.

Joe is outraged at Trump abandoning Taiwan.

American troops would have to be sent to defend Taiwan.

Haas said Vance & Trump don't understand geopolitics.

America is an indispensable power according to Joe.

Joe is mad at the USA for leaving Iraq overnight. They had to fight Isis.

• Like 1

Elise said Germany is cutting aid in half to Ukraine.

Haas defines success in Ukraine is to protect core Ukraine. They can't liberate all of Ukraine.

Trumpism could survive till 2037 if Vance wins the Presidency in 2028.

• Mind Blown 1
  • Sad 1

Secret Service Director is in trouble. Why was Trump allowed to take the stage?

Police notified there was a suspicious person on the roof acting strangely.

• Like 1

Barnicle does not want Biden to be humiliated. The Brzezinski award went to Joe Biden.

Biden did bipartisan legislation. Mika looks so sad.

Joe is outraged at people keeping Biden in a bubble. They financially benefit from Biden staying in the race. Biden deserves better advice .

Mika is upset that Republicans are very confident about winning.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Joe can't believe that elite college institutions are producing graduates that espouse populism. Joe started impersonating a robot that says it likes San Francisco. Joe was not allowed to buy a t-shirt at Harvard.

Joe said Alabama was the Harvard of the South.

Joe is shouting about the US economy & the military. The US military is the strongest in the world.

JD Vance grew a beard to become a populist.

• LOL 1

The Economist editor came on to talk about Presidents that are boomers. Only Obama wasn't born in the 1940s.

Joe said Obama wasn't a boomer. Boomers are born 1946-1964. Obama was born in 1961. Joe is wrong.

Joe called Obama a Gen X President.

Recapping this show is a reason to start drinking wine at lunch. I am glad I am retired. We weren't allowed to drink alcohol during the day when I was working for the civil service.

• Like 1
  • LOL 2

Huma Abedin supports more women athletes at the Olympics. The flag bearers have to be one woman & 1 man.

The USA will send 53% of women as part of the delegation. They win more medals as well!

• Like 1

In the 4th hour, Jonathan Martin showed up. His beard is a mess.

Pelosi wanted to retire in 2022, but Biden convinced her to stay.

Jeff Greenfield said the Democrats are facing a Rubicks cube.

• Like 1
10 hours ago, oakville said:

Joe compared this election to 1968.

I wish Scarborough would stop dipping into the past to support his views on the present.   The past is a nice place to visit but it has no bearing on what's happening today.   We live in a fundamentally different world.   Despite all the political tumult back then,  Americans shared a set of common values that were reinforced by an overwhelming public commitment to church, community and country.   It was a foundation that everyone had in common regardless of political stripe.  Most Americans had family members who were either serving in the military or were veterans of previous wars.   People still knew the meaning of sacrifice for the common good.   They also believed in self-improvement and the power of education.

Americans today have no such tethers; regardless, the need to belong, to feel like part of a community, is still there.   Sadly that void has been filled by the empty calories of politics, social media and reality TV, which have in turn given rise to frustration, anger, tribalism and divisiveness.

The world that Joe "I wrote a book about history" Scarborough keeps comparing us to doesn't exist anymore.   It isn't coming back.   I don't know if it's a blessing or a curse that those of us born in more wholesome times remember what that world was like.   I know I feel awful for kids for whom the present world will be the only one they know, a world of Covid, January 6th, cell phones and Marvel movies.  

• Applause 5

Oh FFS, now Mika/Cassandra is saying Democrats may live to regret it if they remove Biden.

If she is going to make statements like this, the network should compel her to preface them with a full disclosure of her personal ties to the Biden family, which I understand are extensive.   Without that context, her observations are no better than Sean Hannity pontificating about Trump.

As they showed this morning, all the polls for Biden are pointing in the same direction -- into a dark and hopeless abyss.   There are no outliers in these polls.  

But Mika knows Biden watches this show, and she is a family friend.   It seems to me that she is abusing her public position to literally try to influence the decision of the candidate on the other side of the screen.  

• Sad 1
  • Fire 2
(edited)

And now Mika's bloviating about how the poor treatment Biden has received from other Democrats is a betrayal of him, especially after all he's accomplished. 

Well, Mika, there's an old saying that goes, "You're only as good as your last mistake."   Which basically means in this case that all of Biden's accomplishments of the last 3.5 years have been irreversibly overshadowed by his embarrassing performance in the debate -- a situation he not only went out of his way to put himself in, but even publicly taunted his adversary for a week or more before the event.  He was stupidly arrogant and it blew up in his face.   Hubris on a historical level.   And now his arrogance and pride are blinding him to the death-blow he personally inflicted on his campaign.   Meanwhile, many Americans are terrified for their future and the futures of their children.   They are frantic.  Scared.   They want someone strong who can fight to save the future, and they don't believe that he can do it.   The polls say this, the drop-off in donations say this -- everybody but you, Mika, is saying this.   Everyone, including the Democratic leadership now calling for Biden to get out of the way, hear the deafening tick of the clock and they see this proud old man taking his sweet time to "make his decision."  

The barbarians are at the gate, Mika.  There's a silent scream echoing throughout the land, perhaps like never before in our lives, so you'll just have to forgive everyone for being blunt about his chances.   Know your value?  How about know your place as an overpaid airhead born on third base and a woman whose present success is entirely owed to the man you married and STFU about "poor treatment" in a matter that will affect the future of the entire world, and perhaps even lead to the end of that world.

Edited by millennium
  • Applause 2