Type keyword(s) to search

Morning Joe: All Episodes Talk

Message added by dubbel zout

Discussion of the hosts regarding a specific episode is fine here, but generalized discussion of the hosts go in the The Hosts Thread: Joe and Mika Know Their Value. 

• Start Topic

Watching MJ when Joe is in full bloviating, “back when I was in Congress” mode is like trying to eat a large stack of waffles with butter and real maple syrup first thing in the morning. A guilty pleasure that fades by the second waffle. Third at most. He does have a decent, snarky sense of humor. Basically he can entertain; but wears after awhile. Like the waffles.

• Like 2
  • Applause 2
  • LOL 3
7 hours ago, millennium said:

😦 Katy's my favorite!

She's unflappable. I like her too. Never seen her on Morning Joe, she's far too serious or something.  I said this before and I only mean it like a compliment...Katy Tur seems like she's 500 years old. She is my definition of an "old soul".

• Like 1
  • Love 2
(edited)
10 minutes ago, jenkait said:

She's unflappable. I like her too. Never seen her on Morning Joe, she's far too serious or something.  I said this before and I only mean it like a compliment...Katy Tur seems like she's 500 years old. She is my definition of an "old soul".

Yes.   You can see it in her Mona Lisa smile.   She seems privately amused by what's in front of her.  Lord, what fools these mortals be.  

I also love her voice, so soft-spoken yet clear as a bell.

Edited by millennium
  • Like 4
  • Love 1
19 hours ago, Kemper said:

Watching MJ when Joe is in full bloviating, “back when I was in Congress” mode is like trying to eat a large stack of waffles with butter and real maple syrup first thing in the morning. A guilty pleasure that fades by the second waffle. Third at most. He does have a decent, snarky sense of humor. Basically he can entertain; but wears after awhile. Like the waffles.

Leggo my Ego!

• LOL 4

Andrew Weissmann! That was the other MJ analyst that I find attractive. And yes to Katy Tur. She is always well-prepared and also one of the most professional - if not THE most professional- hosts on the network. 

• Like 2
  • Love 1
(edited)
On 7/22/2023 at 3:03 AM, chick binewski said:

Infuriating when Joe went on about knowing "Bobby" for a long time and how "he's always been a good guy to me" and he's a really "gifted guy". O'Donnell's segment was steady, pointed and a realistic telling of the man Robert Jr has always been.

Joe didn't appreciate any reference to him not sharing a bed with Mika. I'm not entirely clear how the two always share a bed when they rarely seem to be in the same city. 

oh man, I really really don't want to think about their sleeping arrangements! gross gross gross aggggh

I just find it depressing that the on-screen newsy peaceful and calm and fun and hilarious dynamic is no longer there, with both them and with Willie. Ever since the whole marriage thing blah blah there is no fun or cuteness or friendship just snark and depression and drama and anger with the three of them always in three separate cities acting like strangers *sad violins*

agree about the Bobby part tho. What is it with this show and the giant-ass blindspot about "friends" it's so icky and golf-course-y. what's worse they're all too smart to buy into it and yet aaaah 

Edited by neona2
  • Like 3
  • Applause 1
  • Love 1

I mentioned Katy Tur and I had zero idea there was even a debate about this, good god

YMMV of course.

but honestly she's the most professional human in the history of teh tee-vee news universe. And so kind and calming and badass. i remember during election season losing my shit, but she was there on MSNBC at all kinds of weird hours telling everything to calm the f down!

it was badly needed and very well done and gave everyone a good night's sleep. honestly she's one of their best  

• Like 1
  • Love 1
(edited)

JFC this show is boring when Joe's not on. Joe's like my personal trainer. I need someone to yell at me like a Marine Drill Sargent to motivate me. 

Edited by tres bien
  • Like 1
  • Applause 1
  • LOL 4
1 hour ago, neona2 said:

agree about the Bobby part tho. What is it with this show and the giant-ass blindspot about "friends" it's so icky and golf-course-y. what's worse they're all too smart to buy into it and yet aaaah 

I think Joe always wanted to be a Kennedy. He changed his hairstyle & clothing to look like a Kennedy & started vacationing in Martha's Vineyard.

Friends of Mika & Joe have always received special treatment.

20 minutes ago, tres bien said:

JFC this show is boring when Joe's not on. Joe's like my personal trainer. I need someone to yell at me like a Marine Drill Sargent to motivate me. 

Joe is taking a well-deserved break after his critically acclaimed interview with the cast  & crew of Oppenheimer. It's evident that his interview was a key reason for the box office success of the film.

• LOL 7
(edited)

Friends!  I DVR D:WH as well as Morning Joe and The 11th Hour. That way I don't miss anything. The October 9, 2020 episode of Nicolle's show had me in stitches, the things she said and the jokes her guests made, it was so funny I didn't delete it and watched it a few times. Six months later I lost everything on the PVR. 

I discovered that there is something called the Internet Archive, and you can watch any show on it, albeit only a minute at a time but it's still amazing.  I'm going to try to find the episode where Mika was laughing for literally 15 minutes. It was hilarious and I remember trying to show my grandma the Mary Tyler Moore/Dick Cheney joke, and she was like, "it was ok but I really like that lady who couldn't stop laughing!" 😂  oh my gosh it was so funny. She was all "Staaaap!" and hitting Joe and he kept bugging her. 

Anyway, just wanted to share this resource I found, if anyone wants to look for old MJ episodes!

Edited by jenkait
Got the year wrong!
  • Like 3
  • LOL 1
(edited)
2 hours ago, Kemper said:

My iPad is dying a slow death…so I have a question instead of trying to watch what is archived. Is this the episode with The Furries? Because I remember that one vividly. You could not watch and not laugh along.

It was not the furries! It was a David Letterman clip where he pretended instead of the the The Mary Tyler Moore Show it was Dick Cheney, same stylized letters and song.  It was actually in really poor taste in hindsight, but I can SO relate to the inappropriate laughter at really the wrong time!

Also, wasn't there two clips about furries where Mika lost it? That/those were funny too.

ETA: sorry about your iPad!  If it helps you need to skip over (like swipe) all the time until 7:31 and just watch that.  She's still laughing like 25m later!

Edited by jenkait
Additional info
  • Like 1
  • LOL 1
7 minutes ago, jenkait said:

It was not the furries! It was a David Letterman clip where he pretended instead of the the The Mary Tyler Moore Show it was Dick Cheney, same stylized letters and song.  It was actually in really poor taste in hindsight, but I can SO relate to the inappropriate laughter at really the wrong time!

Also, wasn't there two clips about furries where Mika lost it? That/those were funny too.

ETA: sorry about your iPad!  If it helps you need to skip over (like swipe) all the time until 7:31 and just watch that.  She's still laughing like 25m later!

ETA2: furries was Dec.8 2014 Kemper!  For the furries clip however you can find that clip on YouTube if you just Google "Mika Brzezinski discovers furries" 😊  that was really cute too.

• Like 1
  • Love 1
(edited)
8 hours ago, jenkait said:

One of the best MJ memories IMHO.

Mine was the morning they were both clearly drunk, although I can't begin to recall when that was.

I knew girls in high school who would lose control of their laughter like that.  Of course, drugs were usually involved.

6 minutes ago, tres bien said:

This show with no Joe 😴.  We're not even talking about  what's going on on the daily show anymore 

It's about as exciting as watching C-SPAN with the mute button on.

Edited by millennium
  • Like 2
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1
Just now, millennium said:

Mine was the morning they were both clearly drunk, although I can't begin to recall when that was.

I knew girls in high school who would lose control of their laughter like that.  Of course, drugs were usually involved.

I remember when it seemed they were drunk the morning after a WHCD (2011/2013-ish?) but to me that seemed like a stunt. One Christmas special when they were wearing pajamas got pretty wacky too. 

Fair comment re:pharmaceuticals but it's happened to me just seemingly out of the blue, like in a computer class and remembering a line from a movie, not even that funny, no drugs involved. I just couldn't stop!

• Like 4
(edited)
5 hours ago, jenkait said:

I remember when it seemed they were drunk the morning after a WHCD (2011/2013-ish?) but to me that seemed like a stunt. One Christmas special when they were wearing pajamas got pretty wacky too. 

well, I wanna watch *this* show, so, so much. why can't we have *this* show back?

the one that combined *depth* and *intelligence* with *fun* and *joy*.

the one where human connection and conversation was prioritized and dumb-ass generic reading segments were mercilessly mocked

they've literally become everything they used to make fun of and it's so damn depressing. 

Edited by neona2
  • Like 3
  • Sad 2
25 minutes ago, neona2 said:

well, I wanna watch *this* show, so, so much. why can't we have *this* show back?

the one that combined *depth* and *intelligence* with *fun* and *joy*.

the one where human connection and conversation was prioritized and dumb-ass generic reading segments were mercilessly mocked

they've literally become everything they used to make fun of and it's so damn depressing. 

https://www.nytimes.com/2010/05/09/fashion/09JoeMika.html

It was 2010. You should be able to find it. I mean I get what you're saying, you want to be able to have the fun show now, but in case you want to look these things up 🤷‍♀️ Around Aug.30 2012 is the drunk at the Elephant Bar day. You can always DM me and I can send you the little video I have of it. It's all I have but I'll share it!

Sorry for ALL the posts everyone, as I took a walk down MJ memory lane but that was fun!

• Like 1

Is there any sort of Primer on this Hunter Biden thing, because I'm totally confused.

My brain always interpreted as right wing noise so automatically filtered it all out. 

is it a thing? is it not a thing?

does it matter? does it not matter?

zero context is ever provided and I'm incredibly confused. 

I have no idea what they're even talking about. Sure if he did something wrong, let justice take it's course. It's not super important. 

also, his.... um, art.... is mediocre at best, but in general I like to encourage creativity where it has healing properties, so no strong feelings about this either, all power to him.

genuinely totally confused.

what even is this court case. Should I care. Does it matter.

MSNBC, please proved some f-ing context.

• Like 2
  • Applause 1
  • Love 1
(edited)

Also wtf is a UAP?

and how is it different from a UFO?

and why are the two used interchangeably?

honestly the universe is so vast it's ridiculous to think we are alone in it. 

my theory is, earth is in a sort of non-contactable quarantine because we do stupid shit like start dumb wars, exploit each other, eat and torture animals for food etc.

Probably aliens are out there observing and thinking WTF

Edited by neona2
  • LOL 1
14 hours ago, neona2 said:

Is there any sort of Primer on this Hunter Biden thing, because I'm totally confused.

My brain always interpreted as right wing noise so automatically filtered it all out. 

is it a thing? is it not a thing?

does it matter? does it not matter?

zero context is ever provided and I'm incredibly confused. 

I have no idea what they're even talking about. Sure if he did something wrong, let justice take it's course. It's not super important. 

also, his.... um, art.... is mediocre at best, but in general I like to encourage creativity where it has healing properties, so no strong feelings about this either, all power to him.

genuinely totally confused.

what even is this court case. Should I care. Does it matter.

MSNBC, please proved some f-ing context.

When it comes to MJ I think you need to lower your expectations 

• Like 2
  • Wink 1
  • Applause 2
  • LOL 2
20 hours ago, neona2 said:

Also wtf is a UAP?

my theory is, earth is in a sort of non-contactable quarantine because we do stupid shit like start dumb wars, exploit each other, eat and torture animals for food etc.

Joe will likely have an interview with any aliens since they will recognize his gravitas.

Joe did interview Jamie Lee Curtis. She is an Oscar-winning actress.

She called Joe handsome & liked his preppie outfit.

She wanted to text Mika to say that she wasn't flirting with Joe.

• LOL 6
23 hours ago, neona2 said:

Also wtf is a UAP?

The answer to all your questions is right there in the Google. 

Unidentified Aerial Phenomenon. 

Hunter BIden charges and plea deal

• Like 5
  • Love 1

Does TFG refer to Joe Scarborough, the guy who formerly hosted this show?   Because now every time I turn it on, like this morning, it's Jonathan Lemire hosting.

Is there anywhere you can actually make a complaint to this network?

• Like 1
  • Applause 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1

I was actually able to watch the show for a change. No screaming and yelling. Guests were able to make their points without interruption. I don’t miss joe at all. He has become too full of himself, why I don’t know. Mika can be tolerable but then she acts like an entitled spoiled socialite and it turns me off. The show runs smoothly and calmly. What you need in the morning. 

• Like 7
  • Wink 1
1 hour ago, millennium said:

Does TFG refer to Joe Scarborough, the guy who formerly hosted this show?   Because now every time I turn it on, like this morning, it's Jonathan Lemire hosting.

Is there anywhere you can actually make a complaint to this network?

Moving this to Small Talk

• Like 1
  • LOL 1
13 hours ago, millennium said:

"For my next trick, I will make the show's regular hosts disappear!"

From your lips to God's ear.  I swear this morning if Mika had been there when they ran the story about Paul Reubens, she would have huffed and puffed about not knowing who he was.  Why she thinks not having any knowledge of pop culture, film or tv is adding to her bonafides is a mystery. 

The show is so much better without Joe screaming and Mika staring into the monitor to see if the fillers are working. 

• Like 4
  • Applause 1
  • Love 2

Yes, I would have loved to see Meeka’s reaction to Pee Wee Herman’s death. It is kind of disrespectful to viewers when she seems to look down on celebrity news that viewers may be interested in hearing about. And makes no effort to even pretend to be engaged. But give her thinning hair and menopause …. she is THERE for it. Bless her heart. May she have a decade of hot flashes.

• Like 3
  • LOL 2
5 hours ago, SeanBug said:

From your lips to God's ear.

I was being sarcastic.   I can't abide the show without the leads.   The second bananas are awful.   Switched off Willie Ghost within moments this morning.

• Applause 1
  • Love 1
26 minutes ago, millennium said:

I was being sarcastic.   I can't abide the show without the leads.   The second bananas are awful.   Switched off Willie Ghost within moments this morning.

I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree. If I never had to look at Joe or Mika again, it would be too soon. They add nothing to a conversation but blather and blank stares. 

But good for you having the patience to watch them. 😄

• Like 5
2 hours ago, Kemper said:

Yes, I would have loved to see Meeka’s reaction to Pee Wee Herman’s death. It is kind of disrespectful to viewers when she seems to look down on celebrity news that viewers may be interested in hearing about. And makes no effort to even pretend to be engaged. But give her thinning hair and menopause …. she is THERE for it. Bless her heart. May she have a decade of hot flashes.

I don't expect Mika to have watched his Saturday morning show but I bet if you said "Paul Reubens", she'd think he was a member of the Federal Reserve.  But then we'd have to explain what that is too. 

I bet the only reason they were able to show that clip is because Joe & Mika are in Maine or wherever. . 

I really wish they would have included something from his appearance on 30 Rock, maybe she could relate to him playing Austrian royalty. 

I did enjoy Willie talking to Eugene about Bidenomics.  Some good news for a change. 

• Like 2
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1
On 7/28/2023 at 9:34 PM, SeanBug said:

The answer to all your questions is right there in the Google. 

okay, yes, but I want teh tee-vee to give me all the answers, damnit! 🤪 

who tf has time. I look to these people for context and insight but there's so much generic blah I don't even know when to actually listen in and when to tune it all out.

when they manage to actually be interesting I'm at the edge of my seat, but man it's not often these days.

hey, how come this show never has guest hosts?

I love Jonathan Lemire, I love his entire sleepless self as he emerged from his mother's womb wearing a narrow tie drinking a redbull.

But sometimes it's like going to a broadway show and they announce: 

some alterations! to teh! program!

Today the role of Jonathan Lemire will be played by: Jonathan! Lemire!

The role of Willie Geist will be played by: Jonathan Lemire! 

The role of Mika Brzezinski will be played by: Jonathan Lemire!

The role of Joe Scarborough will be played by: Jonathan Lemire!

the whole total lack of resources is a giant f-you to viewers.

again no shade on Lemire, I think it can both be true that Jonathan Lemire is awesome and I love him but it's nuts that he is just left there to be himself and everyone else.

He is very good at being himself and absolutely terrible at also being everyone else. 🥴

All the other shows have actual real human guest hosts, I don't get it?

Jen Psaki has been in for Chris Hayes, good god, that is one *chef's kiss* trade which means the quality never drops, and it shows that Chris actually gives a shit about his viewers that he lets us have someone who's actually good.

also Joe and Mika have kinda sorta been slowly making their exit for the last couple of years but they haven't lined anyone up or auditioned any hosts to take over or anything. zero heir apparents. it would seem like the perfect opportunity to just let other cohosts have a chance and get the audience familiar with them, and yet they just choose to be so wholly and completely and impoverishedly awol. 

i mean here's a thought, *cough*

image.png.4d2e7627ea0c17284eecf966dc89fc25.png

Or or or....

image.png.e1e1c211309cc92295d5282bd2a97e2b.png

*small voice* tbh the Wallace Heilemann show is all I ever want if Joe and Mika ever retire. it would be so badass and probably even live from NYC every day aaaaah.

Edited by neona2
  • Like 2

Just my opinion. I find the show dull and boring when The Twins (well, Joe) are not there.  But I do have a grudging admiration for Joe. He is every snarky, bloviating, disrespectful (but true) thing many of us have said about him. But he can engage and entertain like no one else on cable news, especially in the mornings. Granted, he is an ego-centric jackass a good bit of the time … but can still engage viewers. Especially the ones here. 🤓 It is good strategy on his part not to name a replacement host when he and the missus are away. Can’t risk the ratings not falling a little bit. The regular MJ crew cannot carry the show on a regular rotation.

• Like 4
Just now, Kemper said:

It is good strategy on his part not to name a replacement host when he and the missus are away. 

well if that's what's happening, it's just dumb. 

also because they're 60 plus, exhausted most of the time, and telling everybody that they are exhausted literally every day at the top of each hour.

And also they are living in a different state, away from their colleagues, their sources, their cleaners baristas cab drivers congressional interns and actual humans who used to be the sort of people political journalists talked to. 

idk I don't blame them for wanting a different life, but come on, it's time to plan for the future and not led the tee-vee news medium die a slow agonizing death due to egos

so many exciting ways to go and options for new hosts. I don't mean right now but like if the time plan is they're planning to retire in 2-5 years (which all signs point to it must be), for sure it's time to start thinking ahead and trying out alternative hosts and new and interesting things. 

maybe I'm a bit naive about Joe etc but I don't think he really has such a huge-ass ego that he doesn't wanna see the show go on for another 10 or 20 or whatever years after him.

He kinda did create a new and interesting format and a way to conduct public debate it would make no sense to kill the legacy of having created that imo 

I don't watch the show nearly as much as I used to--mainly because of Joe.  It's gotten so bad that I can't stand to look at him, much less listen to him.  

Surprisingly, I think Mika does a lot better when he's not around.  She seems more confident without him sitting next to her. 

• Like 4

okay but re: the show's Elon debate

I really really wish they would explain about whats happening with twitter, I can't find anything??

when I do a search for something it doesn't exist or it takes me to some confusing page with ads.

There is no way to find new information or hashtag current discussions or anything, no place to type in search terms to get up to date news???

this is like a fucking black mirror episode?

I mean I knew Elon Musk was doing some weird shit but I thought it was all corporate money-related shenanigans

WHAT THE ACTUAL F, they didn't tell us he was closing down the function to tweet and read tweets? 

I didn't know this was possible, how can you close down that

so can they also close down to e-mail and read e-mails wtf

I understand he can own twitter but how can he own tweeting as an activity, it makes no sense??

and why can't we even read on there anymore it's impossible and weird and garbled and 90% useless ads.

I hate all of this, why is everything so f-ed and why can no one in charge ever get their shit together to serve the actual human public.

I'm sorry I just find this wild and disorienting.

like if Edison instead of helping humanity progress by giving us light light light, concentrated all his energy on torturing frogs to death via electrocution, for fun. 🥴

good god we are so f-ed

ETA: i literally struggled just to make this post it kept going oops! default!

no sorry!

aaaaaaaaaah ok officially scared 🥴

Edited by neona2

Also since I kinda sorta missed out on a lot aI tried to catch up on the MJ twitter

but the entire MJ twitter profile is now a troll-like angry-ass chronology of Joe just shouting shouting shouting

shouting in front of a  blueish neon horrific backdrop from 2019

shouting in 2020

shouting shouting shouting

but all the clips old, nothing new.

I hate this I'm genuinely scared.

what the even f.

where is all the recent stuff? aaaah.

So today is Tuesday. Joe and Mika will come back in 6 days. Joe will be screaming about the indictments from today. He’ll be repeating everything that will already been beaten to death by every show all week. Worse he’ll have nothing new or insightful to say. It will start with when I was in congress tads yada yada. Yelling the whole time. Honestly when was the last time he said something novel and insightful?  Granted the show is very calm with them not there some may say boring, but I appreciate hearing intelligent people give their opinions and their facts without being interrupted. I like the smoothness of the show this week. I know next week I won’t be able to watch it fully. Today when they did that Forbes thing I was thinking how the f can mika be put in the same class as those accomplished women. Having an affair with your boss and then marrying him is not the runway I want my daughter or granddaughters to follow. It was a gag fest for me. 

• Like 2
  • Applause 3
12 minutes ago, jacourt said:

So today is Tuesday. Joe and Mika will come back in 6 days. Joe will be screaming about the indictments from today. 

I can't believe they did Mika's whole Forbes thingy....without Mika? 

wild, literally wild

I'm neutral on this, in the sense that I realize Mika's project thingy is miles away from my life in terms of real life experience and age and demographics and occupation and professional judgment

but I always thought it was a positive in general sense and for sure specifically she could have a lot of clout by showing up for women in this way, especially for women in the media, where they are treated like shit and Mika actually has enough experience to fight back competently. 

but that in itself is a stretch ... it's wild to me she is not there in person to argue that case.

In the sense that I think most viewers don't care, but given the right context, they most definitely *could* care, and she's not even around in person to try to convince anyone that it's worth caring?

is this real? who runs a brand, or even a business, like this?

Edited by neona2
  • Like 1

okay but Rachel is now live!!!!

while I was whining about everything else

I hereby retract my snark about current-ness and call upon teh popcorn gods of MSNBC to

bring. it. on. *chef's kiss*

• Like 1

Anyone thinking Joe might be back tomorrow? With news of the indictment coming down he may not be able to resist. The show (and the network) have talked/speculated on nothing else for weeks.

• Like 3
  • LOL 3
3 hours ago, SeanBug said:

I don't expect Mika to have watched his Saturday morning show but I bet if you said "Paul Reubens", she'd think he was a member of the Federal Reserve.

You're being generous.   She probably would have thought he was a sandwich.

• Useful 1
  • LOL 5