Type keyword(s) to search

Morning Joe: All Episodes Talk

Message added by dubbel zout

Discussion of the hosts regarding a specific episode is fine here, but generalized discussion of the hosts go in the The Hosts Thread: Joe and Mika Know Their Value. 

• Start Topic

On 3/27/2023 at 6:58 PM, Kemper said:

I think Meeka got the blonde bombshell look when she started banging the tambourine while backing up her rock star husband and his band. 🤡Those were Good Times, indeed. I didn’t feel she was throwing shade at the colorist. I think she maybe regrets almost killing her hair.

Kemper, I choked!  I also had to double check it wasn’t Oakville posting his very-serious jokes! Is this even true?! 😂

• LOL 1
2 hours ago, tres bien said:

WTH seven minutes in and MJ is playing political ads ( of TFG ) and his standing in the polls.

When does the breaking news live coverage of rallies start?

The show would be 30 minutes if they couldn't talk about Trump. Joe compared DeSantis to Mike Dukakis in 1988 who didn't respond to attacks from President Bush.

Joe starting telling anecdotes about his campaign for Congress in the 1990s. His dad wanted him to get more than 73% of the vote.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2
  • LOL 1

Oh good grief, who gives a damn what Sheryl Crow thinks?   Why is her opinion so important that they're letting her dramatically blather on and on?

I have some extra work today so I have this on in the background.   I have never watched the show for this length of time before.   It's kinda painful. 

• Like 1
  • LOL 1

man what a drag this is compared to the vibrancy of yesterday's NYC show. I watched Joe's Bernie impersonation three times bc I was dying laughing. so good!!

I mean I know the breaking news is serious but isn't it also kinda invigorating and energizing that the system is working (ish)? 

anyhoo, happy friday all!

Edited by neona2
  • Like 2

they literally just did a segment saying we! are! all! doomed! because everyone is selfish and individualistic and since I think they said 1977 "far more focused on money, and far less focused on having children"

---> i mean, maybe ppl are far more focused on money because they don't have any? and far less focused on having children because they can't afford them? 🥴

also it's so weird how this show always seems to think the southern baptist version of Christianity is the only religion that exists in America. For example it's Ramadan right now but it would never occur to them to say ramadan kareem to Mehdi etc when on. One time they yelled at Sam Stein for celebrating Hanukkah instead of Christmas! 😂

okay I was not expecting that Hamlet joke about being the love child of DKS and Mr Rogers, ahahahahahaha. Meanwhile DKS is obviously the love child of Abraham Lincoln and Beatrice from Much Ado About Nothing

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1
On 3/30/2023 at 9:22 AM, millennium said:

Oh good grief, who gives a damn what Sheryl Crow thinks?   Why is her opinion so important that they're letting her dramatically blather on and on?

I have some extra work today so I have this on in the background.   I have never watched the show for this length of time before.   It's kinda painful. 

Mika may want to invite Sheryl Crow to her next KYV seminar. Her attendance could help sell tickets.

• Like 1
  • LOL 4
6 minutes ago, oakville said:

Mika may want to invite Sheryl Crow to her next KYV seminar. Her attendance could help sell tickets.

I am sure that has already occurred to her.

• Like 2
  • LOL 2

The top story today was the indictment of President Trump. Joe predicted this would happen years ago.

Rev Shrpton defended Al Bragg. He teaches Sunday school & has a good reputation.

Joe said the GOP should stop blaming Soros. It is antisemitic.

DeSantis has no power to stop the extradiction.

• Like 4
5 minutes ago, Kemper said:

I am sure that has already occurred to her.

Hmm. Maybe, maybe not. Her husband probably did but Mika is famously dense when it comes to pop culture. Maybe Sheryl and Joe can do a collab mix for the event.

• Like 1
  • LOL 1
51 minutes ago, oakville said:

but I mean, they say that, but what would physically happen? i wish they would consider that scenario bc probably it's not totally implausible. DeSantis says no, but it's decided he doesn't have a good reason. But he still says no. Then what? like what physically happens? would they need to impeach DeSantis? and would that really happen in Florida? i feel like they need to get out there and consider all kinds of wild possibilities 🥴

• Like 1
1 hour ago, oakville said:

The top story today was the indictment of President Trump. Joe predicted this would happen years ago.

Rev Shrpton defended Al Bragg. He teaches Sunday school & has a good reputation.

Joe said the GOP should stop blaming Soros. It is antisemitic.

It would be nice if Joe didn't just say that constantly throwing out George Soros's name is antisemitic maybe he should educate them that it's particularly disgusting because the man is a Holocaust survivor. 

Of course that would be lost on them 

• Like 3
  • Applause 2
  • Love 1

I know this sounds naive (sometimes a classy word for stupid) but can one state actually refuse to “extradite” an indicted person to another state? Is it just me or is that crazy? Banana Republic-ish? Undemocratic? Naive? 🤓 What am I missing? If they were discussing it - that means you can. I guess.

• Like 1

well after the news broke when I got back from work last night I watched Rachel and then afterwards most of my DVR of Nicolle and then MJ this morning and I'm still confused about this! 

so Kemper I don't think we are naive or stupid they just haven't really explained the actual practical steps involved very well.

Can he refuse to extradite and what does it mean? Can the refusal be overridden? And then what would happen, do they send like a military aircraft to Mara Lago and zoom him up into it with a light beam? Do Navy Seals snorkel down there and haul him out to sea during his morning swim?

• LOL 1
(edited)

So Mika and Scarborough are bending over backwards in tandem to defend Leslie Stahl and 60 Minutes for airing a controversial and widely criticized interview with a notorious member of Congress.   The defense went on for something like ten minutes, with Scarborough googling in real time that 60 Minutes once interviewed Charles Manson!  and Ayatollah Khomeini!   See? See?  What could be wrong about interviewing a member of Congress?

It was one those "the lady doth protest too much" moments and it led me to wonder why they were going on and on about it.   I wondered if it might have been related to a comment Geist made a bit earlier about how "mistakes were made in 2016 when Donald Trump was given unfettered access" by the, um, media.   Did Geist touch a nerve?   Was Scarborough trying to sanitize/justify the unfettered access he gave Trump?   Or was Scarborough laying a foundation for something yet to come, perhaps foreshadowed by a comment he made at the top of the 60 Minutes defense, when he said, "Donald Trump wants to do away with the Constitution, led an insurrection ... but he's the presumptive Republican nominee and we'll be interviewing him."   To give him the benefit of the doubt, it may have been a collective "we" but at the same time it seemed a bit too calculated.  

Edited by millennium
  • Like 4
  • Applause 2
  • Useful 3
3 hours ago, millennium said:

So Mika and Scarborough are bending over backwards in tandem to defend Leslie Stahl and 60 Minutes for airing a controversial and widely criticized interview with a notorious member of Congress.   The defense went on for something like ten minutes, with Scarborough googling in real time that 60 Minutes once interviewed Charles Manson!  and Ayatollah Khomeini!   See? See?  What could be wrong about interviewing a member of Congress?

It was one those "the lady doth protest too much" moments and it led me to wonder why they were going on and on about it.   I wondered if it might have been related to a comment Geist made a bit earlier about how "mistakes were made in 2016 when Donald Trump was given unfettered access" by the, um, media.   Did Geist touch a nerve?   Was Scarborough trying to sanitize/justify the unfettered access he gave Trump?   Or was Scarborough laying a foundation for something yet to come, perhaps foreshadowed by a comment he made at the top of the 60 Minutes defense, when he said, "Donald Trump wants to do away with the Constitution, led an insurrection ... but he's the presumptive Republican nominee and we'll be interviewing him."   To give him the benefit of the doubt, it may have been a collective "we" but at the same time it seemed a bit too calculated.  

Mika used to work for 60 Minutes 2 & I believe she is friends with Lesley Stahl. Joe said he ignored MTG when she was a backbench Congresswoman but had to pay attention to her now because the new Speaker gave her a powerful job.

I doubt Joe would get an interview with MTG or Trump.

• Like 4
  • Useful 2
(edited)

This morning I heard a bit of the Lawrence O’Donnell interview. I have always loved him; but lately his fixation on Trump has gotten tiring. I hardly ever tune in anymore. He and Joe snarking on Trump supporters - the condescension, etc. was petty and small. But before I clicked it off they started a wonderful, heart felt discussion on the impact mass shootings have on the survivors, especially school children. I was glued. 

Edited by Kemper
  • Like 2
  • Useful 2
(edited)
On 4/3/2023 at 5:33 PM, Kemper said:

But before I clicked it off they started a wonderful, heart felt discussion on the impact mass shootings have on the survivors, especially school children. I was glued. 

I have become jaded -- well, more jaded.   Whenever Morning Joe, Deadline Whitehouse and other shows switch to school shootings or tornadoes, I switch off.   It's the same script every day.  The Groundhog Day News Network.   How can all these news personalities keep repeating the same bromides without losing their minds?   They're not fixing the problems.   They're indirectly exploiting them.   Do they tell themselves, "At least it's a break from talking about Trump all the time."   Sometimes I think being a cable news personality must be a version of hell.

Edited by millennium
  • Like 4
  • Applause 2
  • Useful 1
(edited)

From what I heard, the discussion was not the usual regarding mass shootings. It made me pause on the “off” button. They talked about recent studies showing the impact, years later, on the survivors. Especially kids. I haven’t heard a lot on this subject and it adds a devastating angle (is that the right word?) to the whole conversation. Joe didn’t seem to be his usual, off-putting bombastic self. 

Edited by Kemper
  • Like 2

Joe is upset that there weren't more felonies against Trump. Joe blamed Trump's crazy behavior for Democrats winning control of Wisconsin Supreme Court.

Mika wore a purple blanket over her top.

George Conway needs a haircut.

The consensus is that there is no guarantee of a conviction. Lemire is excited about the Georgia indictments.

Joe is mad at Trump's people posting photos of Alvin Bragg's daughter.

• Like 1
  • Love 2

Oakville - I noticed George Conway’s hair, too. My guess is he is going for the “hip” (do people still say that?) rockstar look - since he is going to be single and mingling. One thing - his voice doesn’t completely creep me out anymore. 

• Like 2
  • LOL 1
(edited)
7 hours ago, oakville said:

Joe is upset that there weren't more felonies against Trump. Joe blamed Trump's crazy behavior for Democrats winning control of Wisconsin Supreme Court.

George Conway needs a haircut.

The consensus is that there is no guarantee of a conviction. Lemire is excited about the Georgia indictments.

Joe is mad at Trump's people posting photos of Alvin Bragg's daughter.

Voters are standing up to the nutty agenda on the other side. Joe even pointed out that the other guy campaigned on an anti abortion law passed in 1859

Edited by tres bien
  • Like 3
7 hours ago, oakville said:

It was absurdly rich to tune in to see her tangled up in that blankety wrap thing while lecturing us about Trump's body language. The more she talked, the more she fiddled with it.

• Like 2
  • LOL 2
  • Love 1

agh I missed a few days this week. I just watched  little of this morning's show, it was very very bland ---> has the whole week been like this?

I don't understand why they don't step it up during breaking! news! weeks! where they get tons of free eyeballs of people who will watch no matter what because of the breaking news.

I mean, as in step it up to make those new people eager to stick around rather than watch and hold their noses, so to speak, and then disappear when things get normal again. aaaah I can't. sometimes I think the things I interpret as mistakes or glitches on this show are actual intentional things that are done out of sheer nihilism. it's gradually moving so far from it's roots creatively it's almost unrecognizable. 

I just caught up on the Rachel, Joy & Nicolle et al special and it was soooo gooooood. I wish the MJ producers would watch it, it's such a great example of what good tee-vee is, actual fun spontaneous conversations treating the audience as smart rather than the laborious repeating and reading and spoon-feeding of MJ --> especially the day after, when everyone already got the basics and then some, ooof.

they're all saying the next hearing is...in December? WTF is this Jarndyce v Jarndyce???? aaaaaaaaaaah

• Like 4

Watching yesterday (Wednesday)'s show now and in fairness it's a lot better than today's (Thursday). The Sarah Maclachlan Lindsey Graham stuff is killing me ahahahaha.

maybe they just ran out of steam today and that's why it's so flat, hmm

anyhoo, Happy Easter & Ramadan & Passover or general relaxing holidays to all 💕 man do we all need a break 🥴 

• Like 2
5 minutes ago, tres bien said:

Today's show was so boring the only thing I remember was the excellent interview with Admiral McRaven

I get bored trying to recap the show. It's very focused on Trump's legal problems.

• Like 4
  • Love 1

Anyone know why this week was shawl/blanket/throw/area rug week?

I guess Hillary probably made a casual, "Oh Mika, I simply adore your shawl game."  And then Mika spent $75,000 on Etsy on her flight home from Abu Dhabi. Fed Ex just delivered a crate of them last Saturday. 

• Like 1
  • LOL 7

man I'm always the odd one out, but I like the shawls!

mainly because it's a unique thing that no one thought of before.

The one thing that always made me uncomfortable in the past few years was the, uhhh, copying.

Like when Mika suddenly and inexplicably deciding to copy Rachel's black blazer trademark thingy a couple of years ago, with zero credit ever given, like why, there are a thousand other ways to make a statement instead of low key plagiarizing co-workers, ooof. 

🥴 again and again stuff like this happens, with zero credit and happy-go-clappy appropriation of actual human co-workers.... aggggh

(edited)

Lots of female news people wear black or dark blazers on air; they are easy, usually inexpensive, and professional. They have been around for decades. However, nothing shouts “look at me” more than the neon shawl dramatically draped over arm and shoulder or the Unitarian scarf.  Add a huge, baggy sweater on the random day - with catcher’s mitt sized sleeves dramatically rolled up. Voila! I can set trends for women - especially those over 50. 😎

Edited by Kemper
  • Like 2
  • Fire 1
  • Applause 3
  • LOL 1
(edited)

I'm catching up on this week's shows a bit ---> I wish they would let Rattner sit down again.. He just looks so wildly awkward and uncomfortable standing up. Also it inevitably invites comparison with teh energy! of Kornacki! and and it's not a favorable one. 🥴

He used to look so calm and comfortable and competent sitting there at the table why on earth are they doing this to him 🥴 I am #teamrattner but just being honest

Edited by neona2
  • Like 4
5 hours ago, Kemper said:

Voila! I can set trends for women - especially those over 50. 😎

I wish you would, Kemper. For sure I am an aspiring Kemp-let, hoping to reach your levels of badassery when the time comes. 😂

last comment I promise, but Willie's Basilica of the Annunciation trees are greeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeen again!!!

no more inexplicably depressing gray pubic hair cluster above his right shoulder. actual green trees! 

brighter days are coming 💕🌈😎 

• Like 1

Neona - thanks for the good words. But many women around my age are maybe, in different ways, badasses. There was a lot going on. It is good for the heart and soul to see younger people (like you) take an interest in the world we are living in. Actually, everyone on this board. It is a sharp, witty place. (I burned my bra - that caught a young Mr. Kemper’s interest and my parents horror). Winning.

• Like 2
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1

oh I just read in the politico newsletter it's apparently Joe's 60th birthday today!!

it's weird there was literally no mention of this anywhere else. not even on the show in the past few days! Or on any of their SM.

probably Mika forgot 😂

anyhoo, good for him

i did see a clip on youtube from I think Joe's 50th birthday and Tony Blair made a cake and brought it on the show!!!

man everything was so ambitious and insane and interesting back then, when did it they all decide to become so boring 🥴

you know, Joe deserves credit for surviving this long on crocodile burgers or whatever tf those shitty Florida chains call them. he talks too slowly but in fairness he's not a moron. he looks cute and unlike many of his GOP contemporaries hasn't gone totally insane. these are all good things, on balance. good for him & happy birthday I think

• Like 4

its one of those days where they forgot to invite a woman to their abortion debate again

image.png.a75f00d3de42094b15a6b8a6c7f0ab9e.png

the maddening thing is that it's always about the "politics" and "pivoting" rather than the humiliating, cruel, and disastrous effect it will have on women

ETA: oh actualyy Mika did weigh in! she gets it

ETA2: also it turns out Jen Palmieri is here. But despite this they went to Charlie Sykes first as the main "expert"

ETA3: And Mara! okay okay spoke too soon, haha. Confused why Hamlet is here though

Edited by neona2
  • Like 2

Mara Gay gave a wonderful, impassioned response to Greg Abbot’s possible pardoning of the Black Lives Matter shooter. Honestly, unless my ears deceived me, Meeka’s response was a quick “Right” … said what was coming up next,and then went to commercial. 🤢 And then there was that huge covering she had on. I would say “shawl” but that would be an insult to shawls. Is it me or is she getting worse? More entitled and over-confident? 

• Like 4
  • Sad 2

good god, there's an entire Golf! Segment! and its not even tongue-in-cheek or for fun, it's a real thing. I think I just felt my soul leave my body

at least it wasn't cricket

also there was so much reading today, aaaah. It frustrates me when watching live because in my head I read twice as fast as Mika does out loud. on delay I just 2x it and it fits. I enjoy the actual discussions a thousand times more

A really really great guest on this MBS segment other than Richard Haas would be an actual! Saudi! woman! or human rights activist or friend or relative of Khashoqgi who can tell you what life is really like there 🥴

i wanna retract my above snark on teh abortion segment. After Charlie Sykes they did have Jen and Mara and Mika and Ali Vitali actually have an insightful discussion. I jumped the gun. as teh sorkinism goes, I will stand here in my wrongness and be wrong.

ETA: actually their discussion reminded me a lot of this article ---> https://www.huffpost.com/entry/late-term-abortion-rape_n_5c630b8de4b0a8731aeabbd6

who, who could possibly claim to know better than the mom in this situation? that's what's so f-ing scary to women. the implication that we lack the capacity for deliberation, choice, moral agency in impossible ethical and emotional situations. It's as though they see us as beings without souls and its so fucking scary 

Edited by neona2
  • Like 3

Joe and Mika just did a lengthy intro for what I think is a new (ish) 10 am thingy?

I have the day off today so am actually watching the 10 a.m. hour live!

they put a CNN lady in there?

is my tío José still on though😭 I miss his beautiful calm face 💕

in fairness it's not bad, but it's very CNN-y complete with stressed! anchor! voice! 

but in general I like her, she's smart, for sure she'll be great when she relaxes into the role and just acts and talks normal in the msnbc-style

also she has actual women on her abortion! panel! so immediate points. hmmm. 

• Like 2

Today's bolt of linen would absolutely require she and Joe to fold because one person wouldn't be able to do it.   180 sq ft?  
She wears a different one daily.  They are enormous.  Fine.  But consider this... what does she do with them at home?  There needs to be storage for these single-use grand swaths of cloth.  There is likely a single-use walk-in closet for these themselves.  Perhaps a wall devoted to them, depending how they're stored.
Or perhaps she resells them via her OnlyFans page to thirsty guys or 20 something office workers who need to know their value?
It just reeks of casual privilege.  Which is fine, she IS privileged and wealthy.  She can do what she wants.  But just imagine Joe wearing a different pork pie hat or English flat cap every day.  Every single day.  Just a ridiculous affection that is new every day because he doesn't want the ridiculous affectation to get tired.
Know how far this should go?  A different flower in your buttonhole every day ala Willard Scott.  Ties, suits, blazers get reused a lot.

If she is promoting providers from the fragile shawl industry with uplifting stories so their notoriety spreads... then, um... spread their notoriety.  Say why you're wearing it.  Where to get it.  Drown your social media in the promotions.  But that's not it.
Mika:  [backstage, flouncing to the set, sashaying her wildly large shawl about]
Production Assistant:  "Good morning Meeks.  Is... is that a... a cape!?  That's a cape.  You're wearing a cape on TV this morning?  Why?"
Mika:  [as Gloria Swanson, dramatically tosses a corner over her shoulder, looks back at the PA].  "Because, darrling, I know my VALUUUUUUUE!"

• Like 1
  • Applause 1
  • LOL 5
2 hours ago, Lowcountry snark said:

Today's bolt of linen would absolutely require she and Joe to fold because one person wouldn't be able to do it.   180 sq ft?  
She wears a different one daily.  They are enormous.  Fine.  But consider this... what does she do with them at home?  There needs to be storage for these single-use grand swaths of cloth.  There is likely a single-use walk-in closet for these themselves.  Perhaps a wall devoted to them, depending how they're stored.
Or perhaps she resells them via her OnlyFans page to thirsty guys or 20 something office workers who need to know their value?
It just reeks of casual privilege.  Which is fine, she IS privileged and wealthy.  She can do what she wants.  But just imagine Joe wearing a different pork pie hat or English flat cap every day.  Every single day.  Just a ridiculous affection that is new every day because he doesn't want the ridiculous affectation to get tired.
Know how far this should go?  A different flower in your buttonhole every day ala Willard Scott.  Ties, suits, blazers get reused a lot.

If she is promoting providers from the fragile shawl industry with uplifting stories so their notoriety spreads... then, um... spread their notoriety.  Say why you're wearing it.  Where to get it.  Drown your social media in the promotions.  But that's not it.
Mika:  [backstage, flouncing to the set, sashaying her wildly large shawl about]
Production Assistant:  "Good morning Meeks.  Is... is that a... a cape!?  That's a cape.  You're wearing a cape on TV this morning?  Why?"
Mika:  [as Gloria Swanson, dramatically tosses a corner over her shoulder, looks back at the PA].  "Because, darrling, I know my VALUUUUUUUE!"

Whatever the shawl shall be, it does create a distraction for her, readjusting and checking how it looks on the monitor, and, thus, a distraction for us.

• Like 4
  • Love 2

ummm guys, she's trolling you.

I'm pretty sure that is literally the entire point

Except it's not super effective trolling, since no one else ever notices, so it's like very circular and ultimately slightly meaningless 🥴 

my main thing is I wish the focus in terms of women's rights instead of the trolling stuff was more on improving things on the substantial side, like more women contributors. More on unions and raising minimum wage for women in shitty jobs. Mika talking more during segments, Joe STFU-ing more, etc etc.

it's like I get it, but also that platform is such an enormous privilege, stop using it for stupid trollling shit and step it uuuuup.

For me I'm actually rooting for Mika I just wish she would focus on actual important stuff, ymmv

ETA: also I say this being #teamshawls. they are interesting and creative. and creativity is about expanding and spreading joy, ultimately this is important to remember

Edited by neona2
  • Like 2

Sorry - Meeka is not engaged enough to troll anyone. It would take wise-assiness, snarky humor, planning and self confidence. Meeka has none of these things. Well, KYV has boosted her confidence. But that’s it. And….

I welcome sports and entertainment discussions;  they can fill a void. Maybe I am in the minority. 

• Like 3
  • Applause 2
  • LOL 1

I wonder if Joe's views on abortion changed after he decided to marry Mika. If so, yay.

Pretty soon no one going to medical school will want to be an ob/gyn.

Please do not play audio (or video) of Nancy Mace. She doesn't mean anything she says.

Edited by tres bien
  • Like 2
  • Love 1

According to Mika, today is Tuesday, April Ereventh.  Suddenly she's Donna Chang(stein)(Seinfeld reference).

Of course, this pales in comparison to Ali Velshi's repeated reference last night to the controversial abortion pill "Mife-prestone"  (effective to 40 degrees below zero)

Edited by millennium
  • Like 1
  • LOL 2