Type keyword(s) to search

Sleepy Hollow in the Media

The X-Men TV show is still in the VERY early stages and last I'd heard, they hadn't gotten Marvel's permission yet. If Marvel doesn't sign off on it, then the show can't move forward. At this point, there's no script or timeline for when a pilot would be shot. It hasn't even officially gotten a pilot order. There's no way it'll be ready to air by the fall, if it ever actually comes to fruition.

edited, just found the article

Edited by Morrigan2575

Articles and "advice" like this are why the show is on the verge of cancellation. I hate that people keep giving Goffman & Co hope that "Katrina would work if only...". No! Her character won't work. There were two seasons to make this character happen and the writers failed miserably. There are no circumstances in which Katrina remains on the show that A) Won't interfere with the Ichabbie relationship-- the one thing on the show that is working and B) Keep the plot mired in Crane family nonsense with this stupid cycle of unearned redemption. Send her ass back to the past. Leave Crane in the future and fans can have back the show we signed up for.

Edited by savinggrace
  • Love 8

Exploration means she’ll finally figure out who she is and maybe get strong enough to defeat Henry, Moloch, and whatever dark entity comes their way ...........

Katrina Crane is the only witch Ichabod and Abbie have on their side, and we’re completely disinterested in the series adding a new witch to replace her. Let’s be real, without a witch on their side, Ichabod and Abbie won’t have the supernatural ammo they need in order to defeat the demons, legends and creatures that come their way. Sure, they have Hawley and Jenny and supernatural artifacts, but those things don’t compare to having an actual witch on your side.

A whole half season has gone by with a heavy focus on her character and all we've seen is there is nothing of substance beyond what was established season one; pretty, possibly nice but maybe shady. We've had more of the same in what we've seen in part two.  Season one established and season two underlined the idea that the witnesses don't actually need the help of a witch. Sure it would be useful to have another arrow in their quiver but if the writing was trying to establish the notion that the assistance of a witch was not necessary to their mission, it has done so both through the logical conclusions the events would lead us to plus explicit dialogue, especially in the last episode. We've also seen it demonstrated that despite a lack of training in witchcraft that both  Jenny and Abbie are capable of casting and Grace's journal seems to indicate that magic had it's own traditions in their family. Katrina has been at most, helpful but never crucial and her magic  fails at key points. 

As for the rest. I'm glad some people enjoy Katrina, glad for them, glad for Katia. It's nice they want to see a a grand romance play out and interesting that they see a chemistry between the  Cranes that has escaped my notice. However it's not the show I started watching and it doesn't interest me, especially because it's been at the expense of the things that worked best about this show. When the scarlet witch appears, even when she was merely the season one exposition fairy it has had the effect for me of a needle scratching against a record , (one of my favourite albums! that one of my younger siblings was touching without my permission!!!) because despite being there from the beginning, in every way she comes off like something from another show. That was Ok, I guess, when she was a plot device that breathed but when the show started trying to make her happen they stopped prioritizing the show's strengths and bent the original concept in favour of a wholly different focus. Maybe this change in focus has always been what was intended for season two, but they've failed at selling it to me, lost  a lot of my good will in the process and lost other fans entirely. There is often that dichotomy between the fans they want and the fans they have and it seems there was an idea Katrina would *ahem* broaden the fanbase, and that she would especially attract the younger male demographic. Unfortunately for them, they wrote a character who would appeal primarily to (mainly) women who appreciate a certain kind of very old-fashioned romance and incidentally the kind of clingy hapless character that is often loathed by the younger male demo. 

Edited by yuggapukka
  • Love 8

That was a great article. And I agree - abaiers needs a medal - SH Fandom Counselor indeed. They do appear to be trying - I just hope they "get it". We likely won't see true proof of anything until S3... but I'm at least interested to see how it goes.

I do worry a little about the "slave" thing, but well... I'm going to see how it plays out.

I just want the BTS book. At this point, I don't care who writes it.

I'd like Orlando Jones to write it :-D

I'd love for Orlando to write it too or better yet, Trollando Jones.  If Goffman wrote it, it would probably be, "BTS of Sleepy Hollow: as told to by Katia Winter" or "Sleepy Hollow: BTS of the vehicle that made Katia Winter A Star" or some variation upon that theme.   I just hope that if this show goes down, Goffman's career goes down with it. 

I clicked on that Hypable article and I really wish I could take back my click traffic for their site. Why do Ichabod and Abbie need a witch to defeat the demons, creatures, etc. to come their way?   This line: "That Katrina Crane would be a far more powerful weapon against evil than an Abbie Mills still learning her old family craft, which is a plot we definitely see brewing." What? Powerful? Huh?

Don't they get that Abbie and Ichabod are THE Witnesses?  They don't need some witch (a half assed witch at that) to enable them to complete their assignment. I feel like there are so many people who watch this show (and even write and produce it) that don't really understand the very premise this show is based on. I hate when I read articles like that, it just makes me grumpy.

Now I kinda feel bad for posting the link, but I felt the need to share my disgust with others. I guess I'm the person who tastes something gross and goes, "Here, taste this. Does this taste bad to you?" Sorry!

Now I kinda feel bad for posting the link, but I felt the need to share my disgust with others. I guess I'm the person who tastes something gross and goes, "Here, taste this. Does this taste bad to you?" Sorry!

It's okay - I saw the comments about it and didn't click on it or read it. I'm watching my blood pressure. You and everyone's comments saved me from a spike!!

:)

I actually feel bad for her, to a degree, I really do blame the bulk of Katrina's failure as a character on the writers and producers, they never gave her any POV, they never gave her agency, I don't think her acting choices helped, but yeah it's mostly their fault. I tend to think actors are the least responsible for how successful a character can be.  <SNIP>

But I also find Winter's attempts to spin the writing and story she's been given as Katrina in S2 as some kind of "negative" when she seemed to be relishing being given more story and essentially competing with Nikki as the romantic and series lead. So mostly I'm like I'm sorry you are in this awkward position where you suck out loud and there's no avoiding how much you suck because there is so much of you sucking, but you wanted that position so..suck it.

I think that there's been no shortage of blaming Katrina Suckage on the writers, but reading her various interviews where she's talking about her influence on the stories she's lined herself up for being more than just a member of the cast who just spouts the lines as written.  By no means should the writers and TPTB get a walk, but she's placed herself as an active participant in the evolution (well, devolution) of SH.

Oh, she seems like she knows how to get what she wants for sure. She just may be able to pull off the character as a manipulative, evil character that the audience hates. I think many of us would love to have a character that we hate--not because of poor writing (or perhaps acting) but because that's what the show (and we) want. Get the character and the audience's feelings in synch and the problem of Katrina becomes a strength. I grind my teeth every time she's on the screen now but make that response part of the story-- not anger over the writers failings. Let us know that's your purpose writers and we'll be behind you. When her just retribution comes, we'll stand up and cheer!

So this.  But KW has not shown she has the talent to do this.

She did claim she signed on as a co-lead for the first season but doesn't that conflict with Katrina originally being killed off after like 1 episode? But then just because she signed to be a co-lead of 4 and listed 4th in the credits....doesn't mean she was supposed to be in ALL the episodes.

This is what I remember reading too and it sent me down a rabbit hole of the interwebs searching for it (unsuccessfully).  Although I have assembled a nice collection of quotes that eliminate any smidgen of sympathy for KW.  These will follow.

In one of Goffman's many) interviews (don't remember which one), he said the writers were sitting around the table and he said what if we bring a powerful witch into the mix (to bring in the 18-49 white male demographic) and everybody liked it. NEWS FLASH Goffman, my husband, brother-in-law and son who are all in that demographic, have been watching since the pilot BECAUSE THEY LIKED THE 2 WITNESSES  and the wackiness . You pretty much already had all that demographic you were going to get.                                                                                                                                                               

And the thing is, KW is a bit long in the tooth to get that demographic.  She's a beautiful woman, but she is a woman.  Seems to me that to attract that demographic, the age skews younger.  And less dressed.  I know they push her bosom as much as possible, but in today's society what they've achieved isn't daring nor particularly impressive.  Some of her customing is beautiful, but that's not something that demographic notices.

They need to do some more media training with her, though. It was a little tacky to complain about Abbie's fan base. Mison and Orlando Jones also have large fan bases; why refer to Abbie's fan base.

I think she's proving herself to be a very capable diversion to Goffman, TPTB and the writers.  She's giving interviews talking about how much influence she has over the season where things are going south and in a manner that erodes any sympathy the reader might have for KW.  She's basking in the glory of media attention without seemingly conscious of the fact she's painting an ever brighter bull's eye on herself.

Edited by DeLurker
  • Love 5

OK, excerpts from various KW interviews...

HitFix 10/06/2014

HitFix: Tell me a bit about the Crane/Katrina relationship, sort of the positive side of it and why these two go together as well as, at least at some point, they obviously did.
Katia Winter: Yeah. I think they're are a lot alike in many ways. I think what I like about them, it's not like it's all happy-go-lucky. They fight a lot and I think Crane really admires that strong-headed side of he, like whenever she gets passionate about something and does it, that driven a side of her. I think that really gets to him and that's one of the reasons he fell for her in the beginning. But just them two being together and seeing their chemistry on screen in a moment, in a non-rushed moment, I think is so important. Just their dynamic and how they are with each other.

They've been dumbing down Ich and making him much more unlikable so maybe they are alike.  And I don't remember anyone else commenting on their chemistry - it must be drowned out by the sounds of crickets.  We've all been waiting to see this "chemistry" she speaks of and I agree it is important.  However, if anything, Katrina is a neutralizing agent for Ich and that is phrasing it charitably.  In their scenes together, TM has about as much animation as a fence post so that is actually a huge deficit for him.  KW has as much as animation as she ever does.

DIYMAG 10/15/2014

DIY: Presumably in Season Two you’re getting to work with more of the cast. Has the atmosphere on set changed? Does it feel more collaborative now?
KW: Yeah I think it’s a bit of a relief for Tom [Mison] and Nicole [beharie] too, to kind of hand out the work load. It’s obviously going to be the Crane and Abbie duo still but it’s fun.

Because no actor wants to actually be the lead in a show they signed up to be lead in - it is way too taxing and time consuming.  How magnanimous of KW to lessen their burden.

DIY: Are we going to see Katrina have more fun in Season Two? She’s not had the best time so far.
KW: Yeah a little bit. There’s definitely a lot more because she’s pulled in so many different directions. Her son is upset with her and there’s conflict between her and Crane and her and Headless and her and Abbie and everyone’s always upset with her and she’s always trying to save the world. Everything she does is for the greater good. But in between that there’s going to be some really lovely moments between Crane and Katrina and both of them dealing with modern day stuff which is fun and more light hearted.

There are no words.  Maybe the eps are so heavily edited after she gets the script and shoots her scene that she does not know that all her martyrdom scenes have never made it to my tv set?

In any event, there were many more things she has said that just make it hard to muster much sympathy for her as an actress.  If it is a language barrier (which I totally doubt), it is her job (or her publicist's) to make sure that an interpreter is available or to get the questions in advance so she can answer without any misunderstanding.  None of the interviews have stated there were any communication difficulties but most have stated she's funny and charming.

Edited by DeLurker
  • Love 2

A couple of questions for anyone who wants to answer:

1. Is it common for a network to release a very detailed synopsis of the finale three weeks before the episode airs?

2. Is it common for a show to film more than one ending for a  season finale and the cast/crew don't know which one will be used until they see the episode?

Thanks

1. Is it common for a network to release a very detailed synopsis of the finale three weeks before the episode airs?

2. Is it common for a show to film more than one ending for a  season finale and the cast/crew don't know which one will be used until they see the episode?

Thanks

#1) I think in some cases yes. I swore last season they released the synopsis for the SH finale a couple weeks in advance. It was spoilery, but written in a way that didn't give huge clues to that BIG reveal at the end. Also, that episode ended with a cliffhanger - this one will not. Are you thinking the finale synopsis was correct, just released too soon?

#2) I think in some cases, yes. I swear I remember LOST having alternate endings, because the show runners were so adamant that no spoilers get out, therefore some of the actors didn't know. Seinfeld did it too, and released the alternate ending on the DVD. There are a few more shows that have done it, I just can't think of them. I don't think it's that common though, unless the show is big and wants to really be secretive about stuff. I seem to think that Walking Dead did that in season 2. It's not unheard of. Same with shooting multiple scenes and then the show runner decides on which one to use. I don't think SH is like this - they are already scrambling last minute as it is. The actors know what will be released and whose is gone from the show.

1. Has that been done with SH?

2. Yeah, it's been done.

2/3/2015 Spoiler TV released the synopsis for the finale-FOX had them take it down but tv echo's post 2/3/2015 at 4:52  in the spoiler thread is what it said. It's very detailed and released 3 weeks before finale airs. No other website mentioned it.

abaiers made it sound almost like SpoilerTV made it up... but I believe that was the original synopsis before SH made all of the changes... especially since the synopsis reads more like Katrina is the main character (and spoilertv LOVES Katrina).

The whole thing is really interesting. I can't wait to see the real synopsis because I bet it's gonna be really interesting to compare the two.

#1) I think in some cases yes. I swore last season they released the synopsis for the SH finale a couple weeks in advance. It was spoilery, but written in a way that didn't give huge clues to that BIG reveal at the end. Also, that episode ended with a cliffhanger - this one will not. Are you thinking the finale synopsis was correct, just released too soon?

#2) I think in some cases, yes. I swear I remember LOST having alternate endings, because the show runners were so adamant that no spoilers get out, therefore some of the actors didn't know. Seinfeld did it too, and released the alternate ending on the DVD. There are a few more shows that have done it, I just can't think of them. I don't think it's that common though, unless the show is big and wants to really be secretive about stuff. I seem to think that Walking Dead did that in season 2. It's not unheard of. Same with shooting multiple scenes and then the show runner decides on which one to use. I don't think SH is like this - they are already scrambling last minute as it is. The actors know what will be released and whose is gone from the show.

1. Aaron Baiers tweeted "It just was never shared with the people that actually work closely on the show and so it's not presented accurately" and It was never even seen by people who work closely on SH". He also tweeted the next day that the previous 24 hours had been brutal. I'm thinking it was the real synopsis sent to the writers but the released version would have been worded differently. I'm thinking this was deliberately leaked to Spoiler TV only. Wouldn't other websites have thought 'whatever' and posted this also if they had had it?

2. In the Indiewire interview with KW, the interviewer said "Having not seen the finale yet, do you know if there will be a role for Katrina in a S3?. The interviewer hadn't seen the finale or KW hadn't seen the finale? That's why I wondered if there was more than one ending filmed.

Delightful interview. Ah takes me back to my old KTLA station before I left the land of the lotus eaters for the land of the green chile

I suspect you're speaking of New Mexico, but as a Denver native I have to jump in just to express my love for "green chile" which in Denver, is sort of like gravy that "smothers" everything. And don't get me started on the Den-Mex style chile rellenos which are Hatch peppers stuffed with cheese and covered with a won-ton wrapper, deep fried and "smothered" in green chile….Ah, heaven! (I never knew there were any other types of rellenos until I traveled a bit.)

Yes discussion of Mexican food can be far,  far more bitter than discussions of a TV show. I've experienced that. Everyone thinks they know what "authentic" Mexican food is and has no appreciation for the regional differences that have arisen in America and should be embraced. "I want what I had in California, that was authentic" (or New Mexico or on a trip to Baja).  OK, I'll get off my soap-box. Ummm…carry-on… ;)

• Love 1

No alternate endings for Lost, except the ones done in jest (or anger).  For the finale of season 4 where the big reveal was the identity of a person who was in a coffin, they did film the take with 3 different actors from the regular cast, to avoid spoilers.

They also used to send actors incomplete scripts with only their scenes on it.

For the finale, they sent everyone copies of the script without the final scene, Matthew Fox, whose character was the only one involved in it got it, but no one else did.  

Delightful interview. Ah takes me back to my old KTLA station before I left the land of the lotus eaters for the land of the green chile

Here re some images from the interview: http://darlablovesichabbie.tumblr.com/post/110562714647/nicole-beharie-good-day-la-02-09-15

Yes discussion of Mexican food can be far,  far more bitter than discussions of a TV show. I've experienced that. Everyone thinks they know what "authentic" Mexican food is and has no appreciation for the regional differences that have arisen in America and should be embraced. "I want what I had in California, that was authentic" (or New Mexico or on a trip to Baja).  OK, I'll get off my soap-box. Ummm…carry-on… ;)

I like NM-style and Yucatan (hard to find!) cuisine, but Baja is the best!  Grilled and never drenched in sauce -- fish, chicken or shrimp.  YUM!  

I like NM-style and Yucatan (hard to find!) cuisine, but Baja is the best!  Grilled and never drenched in sauce -- fish, chicken or shrimp.  YUM!  

Had some lobster just south of San diego a couple years ago. Just wonderful! ;) I really do like NM style Mexican food which is quite similar to that in CO. Love sopapillas and chiles!

Mexico is a large country and the Mexican influence on food in NA has morphed into something totally different which ought to be respected in its own right. For Pete's sake, we don't compare Soul Food to "authentic" African dishes.  Who's to say that the food that the Hispanos who settled New Mexico a couple hundred years ago is less authentic than that of an immigrant who came from Central Mexico ten years ago? Even the Hispano who decided to wrap a cheese-stuffed pepper in a Wonton wrapper in the 60's or 70's in Denver to save some time (and also to make a relleno that wasn't always grease-soaked and soggy) should be appreciated. The influence of the larger cultures should be acknowledged, but the style of regional dishes (including "Tex-Mex") shouldn't be disrespected. Just my opinion, but maybe not just mine. I'll link to this article by Gustavo Arrelano http://www.westword.com/2012-04-05/restaurants/denver-greatest-mexican-food-united-states/

I really like his articles which make me think and might be interesting to those not interested in Mexican food as his take on minorities is very worth reading (as a recent immigrant.)

ETA: Man, this is really off topic, so I apologize, mods…  ;)

Edited by RiddleyWalker

Thanks

1. I think it's more common to release a really detailed synopsis of a premiere than a finale, to avoid giving away any major plot points coming up in the other unaired episodes. I got press releases from ABC and ABC Family for a while and would normally get more detailed synopses when it was closer to a finale.

2. That's becoming increasingly more common. I know on Pretty Little Liars when Toby was revealed to be A, they filmed the ending scene with several different cast members to avoid spoilers. If they really want something to be a shocker, then they might do a closed set for filming or only give out script pages to those who absolutely need them.

• Love 1

Sounds like speculation based on her other interview - I'll believe it only when I see it. Besides - I'm thinking that they probably left it looking like she might be gone at the end of S3 - for it to even come up like this and for KW not to know if she's coming back or not - she's either pulling another "Deliverance" stunt like her ill-advised tweet to Ichabbie fans or her character was left in a situation where she could easily be written off.

• Love 3

So the bumper before the show tonight was an announcer saying "Ichabod and Katrina insist that you don't miss tonight's Sleepy Hollow". Seriously?

I heard it and almost changed the channel. And it was not clever or cute in any aspect - wtf?

• Love 1

So the bumper before the show tonight was an announcer saying "Ichabod and Katrina insist that you don't miss tonight's Sleepy Hollow". Seriously?

Seriously?? This occured? Thank god I am Canadian - I never saw any of this. I would throw something at the TV, dammit. Idiots.

For the millionth time, Marketing at FOX - very, very FEW care about Katrina. If they did, ratings wouldn't be so poor. Grab a concept - no one cares about her, no one wants to see her. Just think about the first Crane scene in this episode. He is depicted strolling along the pier, during a glorious day, just chatting and spending time together with another woman. Yet it was not his wife. No, it was ABBIE. That's right. Abbie. Not his wife. Abbie. Doing something that most couples do. In and of itself, it is very strange, but at the same time, not. Most normal relationships would have Crane wanting to be with his wife. But this relationship is not that. No, what I personally see on screen, is that if I were Crane, I would rather spend time with Abbie, because she is fun, exciting, I can talk to her, be myself, not be so reserved and not have lies upon lies hanging over myself, Damn, what a rant. But it's no mystery why Crane chooses Abbie over his wife. Who needs that kind of messed up drama?

• Love 4

It appears that they actually want to keep fandom irritated. Perhaps they believe this will keep eyes on the screen - if for no other reason than to be irate. It is all feeling so manipulative. Or then again, perhaps the left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing.

• Love 1

Had I not been spoiled for this episode, I would have turned it off right then and there.  I can't decide if this would've been a Katrina heavy episode and the promo was old or if someone's playing games.

The Katia Winter interview is the same one posted last week, just written by another site. Katia did a phone conference interview like Tom did a few weeks ago and Nicole did back in November, I think. I was a part of that one. Those phone interviews have like 5 or 6 ppl asking questions and from there the writers put together their articles.

Edited by Blackhoney

An update in ratings last night's episode got a series low 1.2 in the 18-49 demo

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/2015/02/10/tv-ratings-monday-sleepy-hollow-gotham-fall-to-series-lows-castle-jane-the-virgin-rise/361480/

It might be partly because Gotham hit a series low as well. I hope the last 2 episodes can rebound because I think the show is trying to fix their mistakes, but they put themselves in a tough spot with all of the missteps this season and there is not much time left to leave a positive impression on viewers. I think the Sleepy Hollow getting renewed will come down to what happens with the remaining FOX shows up in the air like The Following and Bones.

• Love 1

My cousin from West Coast doesn't like spoilers and thought last night's episode was going to be about CFD again based on last weeks episode. So, she didn't watch. 

She called me few hours later and asked me about the episode. I summarized it for her and she was like "an episode that is basically a build up for more CFD, no thanks."

Some people are just not going to be satisfied until Katrina and Henry are dead. They are just scared if they come back it would mean that they accepted the status quo. 

• Love 6

An update in ratings last night's episode got a series low 1.2 in the 18-49 demo

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/2015/02/10/tv-ratings-monday-sleepy-hollow-gotham-fall-to-series-lows-castle-jane-the-virgin-rise/361480/

It might be partly because Gotham hit a series low as well. I hope the last 2 episodes can rebound because I think the show is trying to fix their mistakes, but they put themselves in a tough spot with all of the missteps this season and there is not much time left to leave a positive impression on viewers. I think the Sleepy Hollow getting renewed will come down to what happens with the remaining FOX shows up in the air like The Following and Bones.

Per ratings news from FOX, there's some positive to those low 18-49 numbers:

http://www.tvmediainsights.com/forum/topic/monday-20915-4/

SLEEPY HOLLOW: 1.2/3, down -14% from last week in Adults 18-49 but rose +20% with Teens

SLEEPY HOLLOW grew +13% week to week in Men 18-34

IMO, last night's episode returned Sleepy to S1 form and I thought it was fantastic! 

Well then...that's not looking good for renewal, I tell ya. What a drop from last week.

From what I heard, in the US, there was a little promo at the beginning with Katrina in it, and some people say "No" and didn't bothering watching it, because they thought it was all CFD/Katrina. Also, FOX is being so stingy with promos, that there wasn't much else out there to indicate otherwise.

Or people have said fuck it, and have given up. What. A. Mess.