Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E10: Rule #36: If You Can't Stand the Heat, You're Cooked

A heat wave bakes Los Angeles, and Abby feels even more heat when she's told her book needs a major overhaul. Meanwhile, Abby decides to put Dr. Harris through the "boyfriend test"; Phoebe stages an art show for her new flame; and Delia tries to make amends with Gordon.

Why is Abby "taking care" of Becca? Is this an unconscious "control freak" kind of thing for her?

Like Jo said, "Becca is a grown woman with a CW salary"; she can get her needs taken care of. She's not a homeless teenager.

Abby, just because you seem to enjoy all this drama in your life, it doesn't mean Harris (or any man) has to. Don't be mad at Harris; he's being HONEST with you.

Okay, Charlie (I think that's Abby's son's name) is turning out to be JUST like the kid from The Slap. Please tell me that kid is just a good actor.

Oh snap! Abby's just realized she's spent all this time agonizing over a baby that ISN'T EVEN JAKE'S! Have to admit, I did not see that coming. Ha!

• Love 6

This is a repeat of an incident from Nip/Tuck...she said the baby was Julian McMahon's, but -- oops.

Plus, Jo was dead-on (finally) about the "Becca has a CW salary!" advice.  And she made a point about the leftover baby anxiety (I didn't know she knew Abby had a pregnancy scare -- or am I remembering that wrong?) I hadn't considered.

I agreed with Abby's "This is my life!" statement to Dr Harris, though.  He does appear to need an adoring audience.  I also thought he was right, and that her life is Overkill.

Ohhhhh, Jo! this can't be good.  Two addicts climbing into bed together.  It might have had more resonance if they hadn't been going at it on Abby's sofa.

• Love 1

I got bored with this episode, so I fast-forwarded from the 20-min mark onward. Boy, am I glad that I watched the last 10 mins. That surprise ending was marvelous. Plus, Becca being so much in new mom afterglow that she didn't even acknowledge the obvious? Priceless.

When the girlfriends were encouraging Abby to give Harris the "boyfriend test," all I could think was "This is a horrible, horrible idea." Harris had both told and shown Abby what he wanted from a relationship. Somehow she and her friends thought, "But he doesn't really *mean* that." WRONG.

• Love 1

So... I'm out. I thought I could make it through the last few eps of the season, but it was SO awful I couldn't even finish this one. Maybe it had a big finish from what I read above, but if I can't have it on in the background while I work because it's just so bad until that point, who cares how it finishes?

I gave up when Mad Men dude was meeting the friends. It was so awkward, like the unfunniest episode of Frasier ever.  He's not that awkward, but everyone staring at him like a freak show made him lose it and I just couldn't any more.

Plus the scene with Abby meeting with her editor was just so SATC that I expected to hear the music or have Stanford walk by. 

• Love 2

Yeah, I've read enough Carolyn Hax and Dear Prudence to be under the impression that the whole "oh, but s/he'll CHANGE for our relationship" thinking is a steaming load that has a miserable short-term success rate and an utterly abysmal long-term success rate.  I have far less sympathy for Abby than I think the writers want me to.  Harris was a tool and I didn't like him or his ability to make philanthropy sound utterly self-serving, but I put far more of the blame of the failed relationship on Abby.  He's open about how he doesn't want monogamy, and she and her friends decide to test him with that soiree and her kid being there, and he says "no, seriously, I don't want this".  The hell'd she think was going to happen?

Edited by DasFlavorPup
  • Love 5

Abby's son(I think?) is really annoying.  The guy was more patient than I would have been with the kid.

It's interesting seeing Ken from MadMen playing such a different character.  I thought Phoebe and that other guy were incredibly insensitive towards him at the art showing.   (Sorry I don't know all these characters' names.)

Loved the surprise ending!!  Can't wait to see where that goes.  

• Love 4

So the baby was black?  I wasn't sure if that's what I supposed to get out of that...

Abby's kids are both incredibly bratty and she never calls them out on it.  She is lauded as this wonderful mother, but her kids are so rude.

I really don't like Jo.  I am not sure why but she bugs me.

And the ladies were hella rude to JD.  Poor kid was obviously suffering from social anxiety and they acted like complete bitches.  Poor guy.  

I watch this show for the light-hearted fluff I think it's supposed to be.  It is not well-written, well-plotted or anything, but is not overly taxing on my brain, which is what I usually need at that hour.

Abby's kids are both incredibly bratty and she never calls them out on it.  She is lauded as this wonderful mother, but her kids are so rude.

and they'll fit neatly into the world she's built for herself when they grow up entitled, shallow and irresponsible. I think that's kind of the point.

• Love 2

Lol, I really like that ending. What a great way to make Abby wake up and realise that Becca (and baby) is not Abby's responsibility.

I find the actor playing JD attractive and the character is a lovely guy so far. (I'm surprised how few attractive men there are on a light/sexy show for women tbh.) But his conversation with Phoebe's ex and later at Abby's house was so awkward and cringe-inducing!

Harris does nothing for me, he's as interesting as cardboard, so I'm glad to see the back of him.

What is Delia doing? Is she offering to move to NYC out of guilt? Or to get away from her affair?

I love Phoebe's style. It's dressed up beach-wear.

Twice in this episode, someone drew attention to Abby not eating. That's... not a coincidence.

• Love 1