Type keyword(s) to search

S28: Tyler & Korey

Whimsy
  • Start Topic

Meet best friends Tyler Oakley and Korey Kuhl, who are both social media influencers. Tyler is one of the most well-known YouTube personalities and Korey co-hosts the award-winning podcast, Psychobabble, alongside Tyler.

Here's your Tyler & Korey topic.

Ok, I know I'm all old and everything, but I don't get all these You Tube and Vine "celebrities".  Tyler is the ONLY one out of the entire S28 cast that I recognize and that's from his guest spots on actual TV! 

• Love 2

Ok, I know I'm all old and everything, but I don't get all these You Tube and Vine "celebrities".  Tyler is the ONLY one out of the entire S28 cast that I recognize and that's from his guest spots on actual TV! 

I don't really recognize any of them either, but then again I couldn't pick a Kardashian out of a line-up and I only figured out who Adele was a few weeks ago. :) I know that these people have fans who really enjoy their work, and as long as everyone's happy, I don't mind.

• Love 3

I was prepared to hate all of these Internet "celebrities" but I think I've fallen victim to the charms of Tyler and Korey. They're funny, they're nice to each other, and they seem to be enjoying the Race.

• Love 2

I find it kind of baffling that people seem to hate them, or at least Tyler. I came into the season with Tyler being the racer I was most familiar with (having given up on Blair's beauty videos very quickly). Sure, his humor isn't always for me and I don't follow all his content but he generally seems like a nice guy, he makes some funny videos, and he's a great champion for the LGBT community and charitable giving. Maybe people don't like showy teams? I certainly hated the Afghanimals but they struck me as rude and mean-spirited and not very good racers. Tyler and Korey have proven that they're competent. They generally seem nice though focused and willing to lie a bit (but really, it's a game, and we've seen much worse. This is at least useful lying compared to the Afghanimals lying for no benefit). And unlike the nobody teams who seem to be mugging for the camera to become famous, these teams already are varying degrees of internet famous. They were cast for their camera readiness. So it doesn't bother me.

• Love 3
12 minutes ago, aradia22 said:

he's a great champion for the LGBT community and charitable giving.

He's very social conscious too.  I just saw  a video of his recently where he had Nyle DeMarco (deaf actor/model see DWTS and ANTM Final Season).  In the video he and Nyle practiced a   little sign (goofy the way Tyler signed lol) and mentioned that YouTube does not have a  very good auto caption feature so he went back and captioned ALL of his video (I'm gonna do a spot check just to see hmmm).  Whatever his motivation/reason for having Nyle as a guest doesn't matter to me- what matters is he is captioning his videos-- it's a minefield for deaf/hard of hearing people on Youtube.

• Love 1

I didn't know or ever hear of Tyler before the race. I think I'm not in the age demographic for these YouTube stars. I'm 52. Anyway, I didn't know Tyler before and now I do....and, I can't stand him. Yes, I know I should be mature and set a good example but he's one of the reasons I hated this season. He was mugging so much for the camera and his annoying laugh drove.me.up.a.wall. And, now that's he's in the Final 3 & I am scarred for life. LOL!!! That said, Phil seems to love him. I guess they will win. They are such a strong team but it would almost seem boring if they did. 

On 5/8/2016 at 0:52 AM, Ducky said:

He's very social conscious too.  I just saw  a video of his recently where he had Nyle DeMarco (deaf actor/model see DWTS and ANTM Final Season).  In the video he and Nyle practiced a   little sign (goofy the way Tyler signed lol) and mentioned that YouTube does not have a  very good auto caption feature.

That is putting it mildly.  The YouTube audio capture feature is so crappy as to be useless. Unless a person is speaking extremely distinctly (which is rare), all you ghet is gobbledygook.

• Love 1
(edited)

It's interesting the comments about Tyler and Korey winning being so boring and predictable like they just powered through the race the whole time. Yes, they are definitely a strong team but Tyler and Korey were near elimination twice in the middle of the race when I suspect fatigue started setting in, even surviving by mere minutes/seconds against Blair and her dad. So they had their struggles during the season and to me, that is exactly what would make their win that much more impressive because when things went wrong and they found themselves in the back of the pack, fighting just to avoid elimination, they rallied and carried themselves all the way back to the top, finishing first. I actually think Tyler and Korey winning would be a very well deserved win but then again I don't hate Tyler's mere existence because he has an annoying laugh, so there is that. 

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Love 2

I find it kind of baffling that people seem to hate them, or at least Tyler.

Ooh, ooh, I know this one!

A lot of people I know don't like him because back in the day - before he really blew up - he used to be a regular on some other celebrity gossip sites (like ONTD) where he would often make shitty dismissive comments about race (which, as an aside, were sometimes honestly hilarious in how pompous and clueless they were). I think Tyler's learned a lot since then and a couple of years ago he wrote a long post on tumblr apologizing for his previous racism, but a lot of people still aren't aware of that apology, I think. 

• Love 1
4 hours ago, galax-arena said:

Ooh, ooh, I know this one!

A lot of people I know don't like him because back in the day - before he really blew up - he used to be a regular on some other celebrity gossip sites (like ONTD) where he would often make shitty dismissive comments about race (which, as an aside, were sometimes honestly hilarious in how pompous and clueless they were). I think Tyler's learned a lot since then and a couple of years ago he wrote a long post on tumblr apologizing for his previous racism, but a lot of people still aren't aware of that apology, I think. 

Nope! I still didn't know him before The Amazing Race. LOL!!!

I guess he isn't my cup of tea. He still annoys me for some reason. That said, I'm sure there are plenty of people who think I'm annoying. Shocking!! LOL!!

• Love 1