Type keyword(s) to search

Players in the People v OJ Simpson: Kathryn, Faye and Various Others

• Start Topic

It was a passing comment on WWHL, not some heartfelt endorsement, just a housewife covering her ass with Kyle.  I was watching.  Much like Erika on WWHL, saying nothing but good things about all of the others. 

I hate it when these sites take a Bravo Blog or a brief comment on WWHL and make it into a story.  Thanks, no, I can read the blogs myself, or watch WWHL.

• Love 4

The comments are sad---now Eileen is getting hated on for liking Faye. 

I didn't read the comments.  All I can say is hate for failure to hate. Kind of narrow minds to hate on someone because they had something nice to say about a co-worker's friend.  What most people fail to want to understand is this was a very narrow period of time in life that Faye was in the spotlight.  Most actors sure don't want to remember for their worst performance.  Faye stopped with Nicole books and moved on to other endeavors, it is not as if she has earned her living the past twenty years off the Nicole murder. She has apologized for offending and there is little else left to do.    

• Love 4

I don't feel like Faye apologized for what she did because she doesn't admit to having done anything wrong. She made it seem as though Kathryn was the one who had a problem for no reason instead of accepting the fact that she brought the problem on herself by writing the book. She doesn't want to have to answer for her past and she doesn't want to be confronted with it. I thought it was totally phony when she put it to the table that way 'If I've offended anyone, I'm sorry' because I think she knew that she wasn't going to be called on the heart of the matter. I also think it will always continue to irritate if she presents herself as being above it all and how she's this discreet and tasteful person who only has personal exchanges off camera. 

I agree that there are comments about Faye online that are sickening (not talking about any posts here) and I think it's unfortunate that Faye's blog had to be taken down way back when due to viciousness. I never read her blog so I didn't read the comments but I gather they included death threats and that's just too insane and absurd for words. 

I think people would cut Faye a lot more slack if she own up to a few things and seemed more sincere. 

• Love 6

I don't feel like Faye apologized for what she did because she doesn't admit to having done anything wrong. She made it seem as though Kathryn was the one who had a problem for no reason instead of accepting the fact that she brought the problem on herself by writing the book. She doesn't want to have to answer for her past and she doesn't want to be confronted with it. I thought it was totally phony when she put it to the table that way 'If I've offended anyone, I'm sorry' because I think she knew that she wasn't going to be called on the heart of the matter. I also think it will always continue to irritate if she presents herself as being above it all and how she's this discreet and tasteful person who only has personal exchanges off camera. 

I agree that there are comments about Faye online that are sickening (not talking about any posts here) and I think it's unfortunate that Faye's blog had to be taken down way back when due to viciousness. I never read her blog so I didn't read the comments but I gather they included death threats and that's just too insane and absurd for words. 

I think people would cut Faye a lot more slack if she own up to a few things and seemed more sincere. 

Faye is apologizing if she offended.  It would be like apologizing for posing in Playboy.  It was her choice.  If her posing nude offended people she is acknowledging it. So if one wasn't offended then there is no need for the apology.  Bottom line is none of these women want to be accused of being judgmental and comments like, "she capitalized of her friend's murder," are about as judgmental as you get.  Since the 22 year old writings have ZERO effect on these women's lives today, it just seems odd people keep bringing it up.  I am offended that Bravo decided to use it as a storyline.  From the TrashTalk TV recap, he accuses production of parking a bus out front of Kyle's advertising the upcoming mini-series American Horror Story People vs. OJ Simpson.  At some point they are going to have to show a connection why Kathryn Edwards was included in the cast.  So far she lives in San Diego, doesn't work, has no children and is not terribly interesting.

• Love 2

I agree with all of this. 

I just posted something in Kathryn's thread questioning how much Kathryn really knew about the OJ tie-in.  I mean it's obvious to us, but I'm not so sure Kathryn knew that's why Bravo asked her on.  She does fit the mold.

Anyway, while musing about that, I reflected on Faye's behavior when she first got to the party.  She looked at Kyle as if she'd been blindsided with Kathryn's presence there, and she REALLY downed those drinks fast, it felt like liquid courage or liquid calm.  So much for her sobriety!  I really thought I saw a couple of "WTF Kyle!?" moments from Faye.  The Playboy thing, and the Kathryn thing. 

• Love 2

Oh, there's no doubt in my mind that they're trying to capitalize off of the new series on F/X. LisaR couldn't have been more obvious about why she was brought in when she brought up OJ seconds after meeting Kathryn. 

It's still early to say if she's 'clicked' with any of the other women but so far I'm not getting the vibe that she'll be around for more than one season. I don't think we know for sure that Kathryn won't bring anything to the table yet though. I'd like for the ladies to have an excuse to go to San Diego. I can't say that she's super interesting or anything like that and she's already made me side eye her but it's too early to know if she might end up clicking. 

If Erika and Kathryn both end up being one season cast members I really hope the showrunners don't think that's some indication that we need Brandi. I've seen loads of good suggestions for casting ideas over the years. I don't think we ever need to go back to the well of anyone who's already been on the show but Camille is probably a done deal since Andy likes her so much. 

• Love 5

Well, of course it's obvious to US.  My question is really about "how much did THEY know?"  Sorry I brought this up in two threads, should have stuck to one. 

Kathryn, on her own, no OJ, seems as interesting as others they've brought on, Joyce, Carlton, etc.  Her husband is a hunk, and they travel quite a bit.  Her closet is full of Manolos and Birkins.  She's got the Botox.  She fits in as well as anyone.

Either way, Bravo's plan seems to be working a bit.  People who lived through the OJ trial the first time may actually tune back into RHBH for the Faye/Kathryn connection, and those who weren't even alive during the OJ circus who watch this show may be more interested in the mini-series because of this tie-in too.

• Love 5

I agree with all of this. 

I just posted something in Kathryn's thread questioning how much Kathryn really knew about the OJ tie-in.  I mean it's obvious to us, but I'm not so sure Kathryn knew that's why Bravo asked her on.  She does fit the mold.

Anyway, while musing about that, I reflected on Faye's behavior when she first got to the party.  She looked at Kyle as if she'd been blindsided with Kathryn's presence there, and she REALLY downed those drinks fast, it felt like liquid courage or liquid calm.  So much for her sobriety!  I really thought I saw a couple of "WTF Kyle!?" moments from Faye.  The Playboy thing, and the Kathryn thing. 

I thought her problem was with cocaine. Was she also an alcoholic?

Edited by Vicky8675309
  • Love 2

I thought her problem was with cocaine. Was she also an alcoholic?

Most addicts, saying they are "in recovery" don't just switch drugs and call it square.  Drugs and booze, the need to alter reality, is the problem.  An addict is an addict.  Then again, in Hollywood rehabs?  Yeah.  Sure!  Go ahead and use this and that drug of choice, just don't use THAT one. 

Clean and sober used to mean "from all drugs/booze."  Maybe it doesn't anymore.

• Love 2

Maybe Faye is just sorry for offending (like her apology said) and doesn't feel compelled to get anymore specific at a table full of people. Maybe she doesn't feel sorry about anything else to Kathryn except for offending her (maybe she is just being honest with her feelings/apologies and not faking an apology she doesn't feel just to placate the masses). IDK but it seems like everyone wants to burn her at the stake.

• Love 5

Most addicts, saying they are "in recovery" don't just switch drugs and call it square.  Drugs and booze, the need to alter reality, is the problem.  An addict is an addict.  Then again, in Hollywood rehabs?  Yeah.  Sure!  Go ahead and use this and that drug of choice, just don't use THAT one. 

Clean and sober used to mean "from all drugs/booze."  Maybe it doesn't anymore.

once can be an alcoholic and not a smoker or a smoker and not an alcoholic or a coke head and not a pot head. Sure addictive personalities should stay away from other addictive substances but it doesn't mean they are also addicts of that substance. I know smokers who just drink alcohol socially in acceptable quantities. 

I think accusations of her being an alcoholic, if she hasn't ever said or shown a problem with booze, is uncalled for.

• Love 4

I didn't call her an alcoholic, I said she was downing that booze like it was a lifeline during Kyle's BBQ.  That doesn't scream "clean and sober" to me.  Addicts use drugs and booze as a crutch, and that is what it looked like to me.

Again, I'm behind the times apparently on what "clean and sober" and "in recovery" must now mean, at least in LA.

ETA found this:

Faye Resnick, a close friend of Nicole's and a self-confessed alcohol and drug abuser

http://articles.philly.com/1994-10-18/news/25874654_1_faye-resnick-nicole-brown-simpson-sydney-simpson

So apparently SHE thought she also had a booze problem.

While looking for more I happened on this one, a transcript of her deposition in the civil trial.  http://simpson.walraven.org/fr_depo1.html

Edited by Umbelina
  • Love 3

Maybe Faye is just sorry for offending (like her apology said) and doesn't feel compelled to get anymore specific at a table full of people. Maybe she doesn't feel sorry about anything else to Kathryn except for offending her (maybe she is just being honest with her feelings/apologies and not faking an apology she doesn't feel just to placate the masses). IDK but it seems like everyone wants to burn her at the stake.

I didn't think Faye sounded sorry at all. I guess maybe the scene plays differently if a person thinks that her apology is sincere. Since I thought she was being condescending with Kathryn it came across to me like a non-apology. When she asked Kathryn if she felt better I thought it sounded like she couldn't care less if Kathryn felt better or not and was irritated that this woman was going for an attention seeking moment as opposed to her having any legitimate reason as to why she wants to explain why she feels a little wary around her. 

• Love 10

I have to say, after reading that transcript linked above, I do believe Faye about Marcus Allen.  I'm far too trusting of "under oath" I guess.  Maybe they didn't have sex as in penetration, but something was going on there, while she was separated from OJ.

ETA

More Faye testimony.  http://simpson.walraven.org/fr_depo3.html I haven't found part one yet. 

It's heartbreaking to read. 

More transcripts and information here:  http://simpson.walraven.org/index.html

Here's Marcus' deposition:  http://simpson.walraven.org/ma_depo1.html  

excerpt from when he mentions Kathryn visiting OJ with him.

Q. And you visited him in the jail cell one time?

A. Yes, I did.

Q. Do you remember when that was?

A. Frankly, no.

Q. Was it shortly after his arrest?

A. I think so.

Q. And you spoke to him there?

A. Yes.

Q. For how long?

A. I don't know how long we were there. Twenty minutes or so. Maybe longer. I am not sure.

Q. Was anyone there with you?

A. I think he had a representative. I am not sure. A young lady. And my wife was with me.

Q. And your wife is whom?

A. Kathryn Allen.

Q. Kathryn Allen. Do you have any children?

A. No, I don't.

Q. You reside where?

A. Here in Kansas City, Missouri.

Q. And do you also have a residence in Los Angeles?

A. Yes, I do.

Anyone know if Kris Jenner made one?

Last ETA

Just finished reading Marcus' deposition.  If I were a juror, and heard Faye's and then Marcus'?  I'd believe Faye.  Marcus seemed very evasive, very careful, and frankly, I don't find it credible that he can't recall so much during a very dramatic time.  He completely lost credibility when he says he introduced OJ to Barberi (his long time affair/girlfriend) and then says he didn't know if they were lovers.  Seriously?  Back to Kathryn, she was sure there during many OJ conversations, is mentioned quite a bit in the deposition.

Edited by Umbelina
  • Love 6

I didn't think Faye sounded sorry at all. I guess maybe the scene plays differently if a person thinks that her apology is sincere. Since I thought she was being condescending with Kathryn it came across to me like a non-apology. When she asked Kathryn if she felt better I thought it sounded like she couldn't care less if Kathryn felt better or not and was irritated that this woman was going for an attention seeking moment as opposed to her having any legitimate reason as to why she wants to explain why she feels a little wary around her. 

Maybe Kathryn's lead in and conversation just prior to confronting Faye were the reason Faye was so guarded.  I am not sure what she expected from Faye.   Other than she was hoping to annihilate her.  So it wasn't an apology Kathryn wanted.   Also saying you will never be friends with someone kind of negates the need for an apology. 

I guess Faye could have been a bitch and said, "Kathryn are you sorry or wanting to talk about  your support of OJ after his arrest?"

• Love 3

Why isn't Kathryn getting Faye level of hate when Kathryn supported OJ whereas Faye said OJ was a murderer. Is it worse to write something that doesn't sanctify a dead friend then to support a brutal murderer (I'd say mass murderer but I'm not sure if two people are considered "mass").

• Love 4

Why isn't Kathryn getting Faye level of hate when Kathryn supported OJ whereas Faye said OJ was a murderer. Is it worse to write something that doesn't sanctify a dead friend then to support a brutal murderer (I'd say mass murderer but I'm not sure if two people are considered "mass").

I just don't see it as her supporting OJ at all, I see her supporting her then husband, MA, and nothing more, unless she made a statement where she actually said she believed OJ innocent. YMMV

• Love 4

Kathryn was also incorrect when she blamed Faye for putting her name out there.  OJ did it in his "suicide note", she further tied herself to OJ and distanced herself from any empathy for Nicole when she and her then husband joined the OJ team.  To me it is fairly evident from the "suicide note" OJ wanted to send Marcus a message.  Perhaps Marcus felt pressured into joining Team OJ, obviously according to Marcus and other authors and friends, OJ knew or had been told that Marcus and Nicole had been intimate.  Maybe Kathryn did not receive any money but she continued the lifestyle Marcus provided for her.  Evidenced by just recently saying. "he is a wonderful guy," indicates to me she is capable of forgiving and moving on.

At some point Kathryn either decided to save herself by not pushing further with the alleged writings of Faye (since she did not read them she could not intellectually have much of a discussion)  and how devastated she was by them or she might have been cognizant of the fact Faye might return fire.  I don't think Kathryn's former married name had been tied to the OJ stuff for better than 20 years so she probably decided to pull her punches.  She let Faye do the heavy lifting and Faye knew enough on how to distribute the load and seemed to do it effortlessly and without undo emotion. 

I just don't see it as her supporting OJ at all, I see her supporting her then husband, MA, and nothing more, unless she made a statement where she actually said she believed OJ innocent. YMMV

Is she her own person or not?  She visited OJ in jail. That goes beyond spousal support.

• Love 4

It would have been more interresting to get Kris Jenner's perspective on the whole saga.

Unfortunately, she appears to charge too much for appearance.

Andy mentioned on his radio show, that he would expect a 50 k fee for Kris to appear.

It would have been well worth it, IMO.

• Love 4

Is she her own person or not?  She visited OJ in jail. That goes beyond spousal support.

No, not really. She supported her husband and went with him, she did not go see OJ on her own. Also, has she ever given a public statement where SHE said she thought OJ was innocent?

• Love 3

No, not really. She supported her husband and went with him, she did not go see OJ on her own. Also, has she ever given a public statement where SHE said she thought OJ was innocent?

It goes against what she is trying to sell us now.  I think this is the standard by which she has to live -the "in your face" woman not the sweet, turn a blind eye to her man's actions.  I don't know that she ever gave any public statements but attending Team OJ meetings and visiting him in jail is indicative she was supporting Team OJ.   Faye on the other hand from the beginning was all about OJ's guilt. 

So pick a lane Kathryn, were you just the supportive wife or are you your own person that nothing gets by you and are an in your face kind of person?  Kathryn claims she has always been the in your face.  Way too convenient in retrospect to claim she was the dutiful wife and at the same time chastise Faye for claiming the same.

BTW it is really irrelevant because Faye didn't go there.  My point is if you are going to isolate someone's words, deeds to a particular incident or cause be careful.  Kathryn cannot undo her public support of OJ.   Faye has never waivered from her stance on the case.    

• Love 3

It goes against what she is trying to sell us now.  I think this is the standard by which she has to live -the "in your face" woman not the sweet, turn a blind eye to her man's actions.  I don't know that she ever gave any public statements but attending Team OJ meetings and visiting him in jail is indicative she was supporting Team OJ.   Faye on the other hand from the beginning was all about OJ's guilt. 

So pick a lane Kathryn, were you just the supportive wife or are you your own person that nothing gets by you and are an in your face kind of person?  Kathryn claims she has always been the in your face.  Way too convenient in retrospect to claim she was the dutiful wife and at the same time chastise Faye for claiming the same.

BTW it is really irrelevant because Faye didn't go there.  My point is if you are going to isolate someone's words, deeds to a particular incident or cause be careful.  Kathryn cannot undo her public support of OJ.   Faye has never waivered from her stance on the case.    

Supporting your husband doesn't mean you are not your own woman NOR does it mean that you would be ok with him cheating on you either. Again, there really was NO reason for Faye to mention Nicole in her book, NONE, as they had never met. Mentioning MA in the book is different as he was friends with OJ for years, personal friends but Kathryn only knew OJ/NS through her relationship with Allen, otherwise since Faye claims to have been THAT close to Nicole/OJ, she would have met Kathryn before the murder and she didn't. AND, not to sound like a broken record BUT Faye was an active addict during this time and her memories/recollections during said time are questionable at best and this is why she avoids talking about it with anyone now IMO. If Faye can't see/understand that she caused Kathryn embarrassment and/or pain by including her in the book and offer up a "I am sorry what I wrote hurt you as that was not my intent" apology then she is 1 cold, ice cold, arrogant woman IMO.

• Love 5

Whether anyone likes it or not, Faye has been on the show for a long time. As far as I am aware, she has never spoken in any detail about the murder on the show. Clearly, she made her own decision to appear on camera again this season, but it is possible she didn't feel like giving Kathryn too much on camera. After all, if Kathryn has been carrying around all of this anger, she could have reached out to Faye years ago to sort it all out. She didn't. She didn't even bother to read the book. Now she is sitting across the table from her, and seems to want something from Faye - on camera. Something she never felt the need to try and get off camera. I think it's hard to know how anyone would act in that situation. After all, only minutes before Kathryn was acting like she was going to tell Faye off, but then when presented with the opportunity, she couldn't/didn't do it. According to Kyle, Kathryn came to like Faye, so it is more than possible that they came to some sort of resolution.

• Love 3

A view from the cheap seats?

I am amazed at the passions that I am seeing posted to the thread.  21 years later and it's still a hot topic.

I lived in El Lay at the time and I remember waking up that Monday morning and hearing the news about the killings.

As time went on, it was more and more evident as to what happened - It was kind of obvious who the killer was - it was just a question of getting the 'perp' and throwing them in jail.

------

This story had many angles to it. You have a college football player become a professional superstar. He was the voice of a car rental company and sold sliced ham. From commercials he went on to doing bit parts in movies, then became the poster child for domestic abuse, murder and stupidity.

As time goes on, the murder of two people gets lost in the retelling of 'the story'. It's more about the people who showed up after the murders. It's a tragedy no matter what side is argued - and no amount of story telling or tweaking can change it?

• Love 4

Kathryn's support of OJ is not definitionally mutually exclusive to an assertive disposition. Many of OJ's and Nicole's shared friends robustly supported him throughout the majority of the trial - he only began to shed that support when the DNA testimony commenced. And has been pointed out, Kathryn married Marcus well after OJ and Nicole divorced. Standing by a friend despite public opprobrium against that friend is exactly what Kyle has done with respect to Faye (that's not a comparison between the conduct of OJ and Nicole). Who's to say Kathryn wasn't fully autonomous in how she conducted herself during the aftermath of the murders? And i'm confused as to why Kathryn would reach out to Faye, a stranger, over the book just to extend Faye the courtesy of having the confrontation occur off camera. Does this mean that Kyle or any of the cast have no right to harbor anger over, say, tabloid stories authored about them? And if we're parsing the legitimacy of grievances based upon whether or not efforts to resolve those disputes were initiated prior to filming, then this franchise basically has no valid conflicts per the constant talking head narration about how "I haven't seen (insert name) since the reunion/(insert last filming location."

• Love 4

Well, I honestly don't know how much Marcus supported or believed OJ.  It's my impression he lied during the civil case deposition (you can read them for yourself from the links above.)  He didn't fly back from his vacation after the murders, or for the funeral, seemed to deliberately stay away for over a week, as did Kathryn. 

It's interesting to read the civil depositions because although lawyers may object (and do, repeatedly) there is no judge there, so the witnesses still have to answer every question.  Later a judge decides which to sustain, (and I assume, not include?) but we can still read the answers.  As I said above, I think Faye was truthful on the stand, Marcus, not so much.  Much of this was absolutely not in the criminal trial, obviously.

Then I kind of got sucked into reading AC (Cowlings) deposition.  (AC was his best friend, loved Nicole as well, around a lot, and drove the Bronco during the police chase.)  He mentions Marcus, Katherine, and Faye frequently during his.  His lawyer does tell him to plead the 5th on almost all questions about evidence or OJ between the time of the murders and the time OJ was arrested (the 12th through the 17th of June) since he could still face charges.  At the same time, it's stated many times that he wants to answer all of them, but would need immunity to do so.  He also states several times that he does believe OJ innocent.  He kind of broke my heart, he seemed loyal beyond measure, and in denial.  At one point he breaks out and says that if he had known about OJ beating her he would have stopped it, but at many points he obviously felt "you don't interfere, or ask questions about a couple."  His testimony obviously implies that the affair between Marcus and Nicole happened, and comparing the times he pleads the 5th, and answers about what he knew, it's OBVIOUS he heard that from OJ, IMO of course, during that excluded week.  He seemed broken and torn up by all of it, another victim really.

I may read a few more, this, in many ways, is better than the trial, because objections don't really matter.

As for the affair between Marcus and Nicole?  Clues to why that may have happened are also in AC's testimony.  After the 1989 beating (the worst of the photos of Nicole before the murders come from that beating) AC is there.  It's AC that takes her to the hospital, even though she refuses that a few times.  At some point after that Nicole, who is very mad, but still reluctant to press charges, tells AC that she will hurt OJ (basically as much as she possibly can) back.  I think she picked Marcus, who wasn't married, but was engaged to Katherine at the time, as her weapon.  She slept with his best friend to get even a bit.  She had no faith she could win anything against OJ, and OJ said she would lose the kids.  OJ regularly cheated on her, and that was the source of many of their fights.  After that 1989 beating?  Sex with Marcus, IMO, was her way of hurting him back.

I think I may have to read a few more of those civil case depositions, most of it is completely new information, to me at least.

Also, my feelings that Faye was truthful during her sworn deposition don't excuse her for profiting from her friend's murder with two salacious books.  She's still scum.  Katherine, someone Faye had never even met, didn't deserve to have Kris' alleged gossip used against her in that book either (the least of Faye's sins) and being called "one of THOSE women, who looks the other way" or whatever the wording was justifies her disgust at Faye.  Also, for hopefully the last time, you didn't have to read Faye's book to know what it said.  It had blanket coverage everywhere, TV, magazines, news shows, newspapers, it was everywhere.  To be completely fair, in Faye's deposition above?  She had absolutely no editing control on either book.  She testifies that 10,000 pages were omitted, and to a couple of, in her words, errors in the books.  You'd think she would have demanded editing control after the first one, but nope.  She signed the same deal for the second.  At that time she says she made about $193,000 from both (sales were on-going though.)  That's $440,272.19 in 2015 dollars, and she didn't include Playboy fees, or any fees she got from her endless and various print or TV interviews.

Edited by Umbelina
  • Love 4

Find that people who are addicts many times just transfer the addictions to some other addictive behavior, like smoking, shopping, drinking,sex etc.

A liar doesn't care if the are under oath, they still lie. Learned this the hard way 30 years ago. I too believe Faye Resnick. Somewhere I read or heard Nicole said that MA's member was about as big as a piece of drift wood she saw when walking with Faye. Isn't that in the book? 

• Love 1

I've still been reading transcripts.  Kato's was very interesting too.  Lots of mentions of Faye, he said that Nicole told him Faye was after rich guys, and named another woman as her "best friend" someone she jogged with every morning.  He also speaks about Marcus, and obliquely about Kathryn.  He also assumed Marcus and Nicole had something going on, from talks with Nicole, he thinks Nicole told OJ. 

He doesn't drink, said he's never done drugs, is also a runner, 6-10 miles every morning.  OJ (according to Nicole, and reading between the lines of his testimony) lured him away from Nicole's by offering him free rent.  At Nicole's he paid $500 a month, and did baby sitting for her.  They were very close until he moved out, but she felt OJ bought him, and was hurt that OJ had driven someone else away.  It was pretty obvious to me that he thinks OJ did kill Nicole.  Oh, and he said he's had several offers in the $1 Million range to sell his story, or to write a book, and he's always said no.

He said Nicole told him that Marcus was more into her than she was to him, and he assumed that once Marcus married Kathryn it was over, but he wasn't sure.  He definitely didn't like Faye much, but that may be partly because he became friends with the woman Nicole told him was her best friend during and after the trial, and that woman detested Faye.  He also said Nicole told him that OJ would kill her one day, and that she knew what he'd use, scissors. 

I felt he was very truthful and that OJ was obviously setting him up to be his alibi that night. 

Edited by Umbelina
  • Love 5
(edited)

It was an excellent show-thanks for the tip.  It seems Faye, through her book was absolutely correct about OJ.  I was glad they had Ron Shipp on the show.  Here is the testimony of Ron Shipp from the trial.  He jumped the OJ support ship (no pun intended) and got splayed by the defense.  In short the witness who claimed OJ told him he had dreams about killing Nicole.  He was a former LAPD officer and the defense capitalized on his issues with alcohol.  Sound familiar?  http://law2.umkc.edu/faculty/projects/ftrials/Simpson/shipp.html

Shipp said he did not want to be the one tagged with bringing OJ Simpson down.  In her book Weller said the treatment of Shipp by the defense sent a signal to other OJ supporters what they could expect should they decide to testify against OJ.

ETA-One thing that was interesting is no one mentioned Faye's name.  They had a friend of Nicole's who had been absent from her life for years and had reconnected tell some stories remarkably similar to Faye's quotes from Nicole.

Edited by zoeysmom
  • Love 1

It was an excellent show-thanks for the tip.  It seems Faye, through her book was absolutely correct about OJ.  I was glad they had Ron Shipp on the show.  Here is the testimony of Ron Shipp from the trial.  He jumped the OJ support ship (no pun intended) and got splayed by the defense.  In short the witness who claimed OJ told him he had dreams about killing Nicole.  He was a former LAPD officer and the defense capitalized on his issues with alcohol.  Sound familiar?  http://law2.umkc.edu/faculty/projects/ftrials/Simpson/shipp.html

Shipp said he did not want to be the one tagged with bringing OJ Simpson down.  In her book Weller said the treatment of Shipp by the defense sent a signal to other OJ supporters what they could expect should they decide to testify against OJ.

ETA-One thing that was interesting is no one mentioned Faye's name.  They had a friend of Nicole's who had been absent from her life for years and had reconnected tell some stories remarkably similar to Faye's quotes from Nicole.

Watching the program it brought back many 'side stories' and other obscure tales. I had forgotten about Shipp and his part in the trial - his problems with alcohol were just another character assassination....

I liked the way the program didn't slant any of the facts, altho I found kris kardashian's interviews hard to watch. I have an extreme dislike for her and her spawn.

-------

One thing that the program could not have touched on was the tension leading up to the verdict. I think that people were so geared up and ready for some possible unrest that, when the verdict  came back as not-guilty, The city was stunned and no one knew what to do with themselves.

• Love 2

Watching the program it brought back many 'side stories' and other obscure tales. I had forgotten about Shipp and his part in the trial - his problems with alcohol were just another character assassination....

I liked the way the program didn't slant any of the facts, altho I found kris kardashian's interviews hard to watch. I have an extreme dislike for her and her spawn.

-------

One thing that the program could not have touched on was the tension leading up to the verdict. I think that people were so geared up and ready for some possible unrest that, when the verdict  came back as not-guilty, The city was stunned and no one knew what to do with themselves.

I am having a hard time with this idea of Robert Kardashian being rehabilitated posthumously.  Kris saying all this stuff and claiming she had no idea about Nicole and OJ beating her.   How good of friends were they?  I would think it would be talked about in this so called circle.  It is beginning to sound like the reason Nicole turned to Faye and that Robin Greer is that she did not want to be alienated from the inner circle if things didn't work out between she and OJ. 

I also found it fascinating that Paula Barbieri, OJ's girlfriend broke up with him via answering service the night of the murders with a 30 minute message. She  broke with OJ to go be with Michael Bolton in Las Vegas, who at the time was with Nicolette Sheridan, who left her husband, Harry Hamlin for Bolton. Hamlin later married Rinna-there is a circle with this group. First shunned by Nicole and then dumped by Paula.  I am beginning to wonder what Bolton has under the hood.

• Love 3

OJ because, after him, no white man could satisfy her sexually - so she basically couldn't help her sexual appetite for virile black men.

this is the  most racist shit I've ever read on this board 

I agree that the Goldman family has always been good about not expressing their resentment but I believe it exists.

they were on TV all the damn time. I can still remember the father's handlebar mustache and weepily demanding OJ's heisman. OJ Simpson's guilt or innocence is of little interest to me. I feel bad for their children, but America's obsession with this is gross especially considering Von Bulow just didn't seem to get the same treatment.

I have to say though, I really appreciate Fox/Fx airing this during Black History Month :-/

Edited by ThomasAAnderson
  • Love 1

I can't stop thinking about Kato's deposition in the civil trial.  http://simpson.walraven.org/index.htmlThis morning, when I woke up, I clicked back on the depositions/evidence/rulings/etc. page to see if OJ came back in for more depositions (he was already done) after Kato's believable and shocking stuff.  Sure enough, a few days later, OJ was back testifying.

As for Nicole telling people about the abuse?  From reading through these, it seems she was actually mostly a very shy and circumspect person, she didn't tell everyone, even some people she'd know for over a decade.  Some, she seemed to trust more and eventually she opened up to them.  She opened up to Kato more quickly than most, she liked the way he was with his own daughter, and with her kids, trusted him.  She even told him she thought she was falling in love with him, but he didn't feel a romantic love for her. 

All that is to say, I think she shared some things with some friends, others with others, as most of us do.  With Kris, they usually saw one another as couples or families, at least for most of their relationship.  But it may be just as simple as compartments for friends.  With a very few, you may share almost all, for whatever reason.  Faye was one of those for her, she was comfortable talking about sex and abuse.  With her 'best friend' it may have been just being able to talk about the abuse.  I have a couple of long time friends that know every single secret about my sex life, and the bodies/styles/habits of my lovers as well, and I know theirs.  My "best friend" doesn't.  She isn't the type to discuss that stuff in detail.  Another friend of decades is quite prudish, so ditto.  I think that's normal.

ETA

I meant to say, that during Kato's deposition, OJ sat right there making comments trying to intimidate him.  He was allowed because he was the defendant.  He didn't come to some of the others I read.  THEN he gets to re-depose a few days later.  I am so glad that jury found him guilty anyway.  I detest that guy.

Also, FAYE said that about her "best friend" and black men, whomever posted it here, quoted her.

Edited by Umbelina
  • Love 2

this is the  most racist shit I've ever read on this board 

they were on TV all the damn time. I can still remember the father's handlebar mustache and weepily demanding OJ's heisman. OJ Simpson's guilt or innocence is of little interest to me. I feel bad for their children, but America's obsession with this is gross especially considering Von Bulow just didn't seem to get the same treatment.

I have to say though, I really appreciate Fox/Fx airing this during Black History Month :-/

I think the reason Von Bulow didn't get as much attention is because he wasn't as well known whereas OJ was super well known by people of all walks of life. The Von Bulow trials still got a lot of ink and attention not to mention the movie that was later made. 

For me a series like this doesn't cast a shadow over Black History Month. I actually appreciate that the trial generates so much conversation because it covers so much and I've had conversations about the trial in RL that have absolutely revealed a person's character to me in terms of their ultimate values. 

There are loads of things about the coverage and interest in the trial that are indeed gross and unsavory but I don't think talking about the trial or its impact on American culture is something that is morally wrong. In fact I think it's a piece of American history that I hope we can all learn from in our own ways because it really does touch on a range of social issues and I guess that's why I find it interesting and will be watching the new series.

Seeing this show cash in on the faint connection to the trial makes sense to me and shows how small this community is. I'd love to see a six degrees of separation kind of diagram for people connected with the trial, however minor, because it really would include a lot of people. 

• Love 1

Anybody know where the Forum is for tonight's OJ mini-series-I could not find it under American Horror Story , People vs. OJ Simpson or OJ Simpson

Umbelina's right. 

FWIW the show has a super annoying name. They're calling it "American Crime Story: The People v. OJ Simpson" in places, other places (like my DVR) It's listed as The People v. OJ Simpson: American Crime Story. Since it will be an anthology series like American Horror Story we're going with American Crime Story as the name on the site since we do the same for American Horror Story. Clear as mud?  

• Love 5

Yeah, almost no traffic over there either, people probably can't find it.  I couldn't, until you linked it earlier in the thread.  Maybe someone could put a hyper-link in under "The People vs. OJ Simpson?  There is also another show called American Crime I think.