Type keyword(s) to search

S13.E14: Decompressed

MyAimIsTrue
  • Start Topic

Four deep sea divers stay inside a diving chamber with a deceased body in order to decompress. The dead body belongs to a retired petty officer who died in mysterious circumstances. The NCIS team will try to crack the case from land while the divers spend four days with the body.

First things first: hydrochloride does NOT "turn powders into liquids". This statement is utterly and completely false.

Now that that's out of the way, I thought the episode was pretty good for a Valentine's Day episode, although I have to admit, at the beginning I was wondering what in the world Abby was doing and what holiday they were talking about. Maybe it's the pancakes I had for dinner, but I was thinking more along the lines of Mardi Gras (especially since it is Abby), not so much Valentine's Day.

All three of the divers irritated me to no end. Meredith was telegraphed as he guilty one from the get-go, and the lawyer was equally obvious, so the case wasn't really all that interesting, imho.

Tony and Bishop were adorable and it was nice to see Tony not being super childish. I loved the names he came up with for McGee this episode, too .

• Love 1

I liked this episode. The ending with Bishop and Tony was nice. Bishop's been growing on me. 

So.. it was ex army female that killed the victim, but the lawyer was also part of it? That part confused me, as I wasn't sure who was the murderer, or if they were arresting the lawyer for a separate crime altogether.  

I also liked it as well.  Though I thought initially they were going to make it an Ellie Bishop angst-fest.   With Valentine's Day being the theme, I thought Bishop would be all mopey and stuff and the rest of the crew would trying to figure out ways to cheer her up.  Am glad they didn't go that direction.  And I thought the ending sequence with DiNozzo/Bishop was great.

Which really reminds me of how much I will miss Tony.  He really has matured over the last couple of seasons or so.  And I'll miss all those McGee-isms too.  :(    Just love the banter between those two characters. 

I liked it too that the show didn't scream, "Hey, here's the killer right here!"  I had no idea who the murderer was.  Though I did figure lawyer-dude did have something to do with it somehow.  I thought perhaps the others conspired to kill him.  That they noticed he was on something (like cocaine) and worried for their safety in there and had to kill him in self defense.  So what finally did happen to wrap it up did surprise me a bit.

Good, solid episode.  Everyone being competent with a little bit of humor thrown in.  Liked it a lot.

• Love 2

Gibbs eating Jello = win.

I agree. Whimsy isn't usually Jethro's style, so it was fun.

I thought the Valentine's theme was nice - just enough without being cloying. I liked Gibbs giving advice, then jokingly admit that considering his past, it might not be good advice.

I also liked the moment when Tony stopped reading McGee's poem out loud, showing respect and just a bit of envy. For having a love like that, I think, rather than writing skills.

• Love 6

Mark, maybe because of all the pounding he took playing football, is really looking like he has a fairly serious case of some sort of arthritis.  At first I thought all his stiff way of moving was part of the being shot storyline but now I think its something more.  You can see it in the way he is holding things, he just doesn't move fluidly anymore.  They don't show him moving around as much as they used to.  

I liked the episode.  I always look forward to their stand alone  (no hidden agenda) straight forward crime of the week shows.

• Love 1

I liked the episode.  I always look forward to their stand alone  (no hidden agenda) straight forward crime of the week shows.

I agree wholeheartedly!  Maybe I'm just too lazy to pay close attention and follow all the ins-and-outs, but I never liked all the international intrigue and Port-to-Port Killer/Harper Dearing arcs.  Just tell me a story, and let the characters shine!

• Love 6

I also liked it as well.  Though I thought initially they were going to make it an Ellie Bishop angst-fest.   With Valentine's Day being the theme, I thought Bishop would be all mopey and stuff and the rest of the crew would trying to figure out ways to cheer her up.  Am glad they didn't go that direction.  And I thought the ending sequence with DiNozzo/Bishop was great.

Which really reminds me of how much I will miss Tony.  He really has matured over the last couple of seasons or so.  And I'll miss all those McGee-isms too.  :(    Just love the banter between those two characters. 

I absolutely LOVED the ending - they each did something nice for each other with no strings. I was worried at the beginning that Tony was going to offer to take her to dinner on VDay and then there would be romantic angst. PHEW. Just the normal Bish little sister feels. hallelujah. 

I like that McGee recognized that he would have to step it up now that they live together. "What rhymes with Delilah?"

Glad we have it confirmed Abby and Ranger Bert are still together. That means he passed the three-month test, yes??

So Abby puts out a "mailbox" for VDay???? wtf?

• Love 2

Same here as I much prefer stand alone episodes to those involved in multi story arcs.

I agree. I think multi-arc episodes (in most series) tend not to work (I can think of a few where they've pretty much tanked the series). In my opinion, they work best when they are part of the fundamental DNA of the show, and as such are never forgotten and hints and foreshadowing are sprinkled almost subliminally through the episodes. Edited by clanstarling
  • Love 1

I enjoyed the concept of the NCIS team trying to solve the crime while the victim and the three other divers were out of reach in the decompression chamber.

I agree with this.  I liked the concept, but I wasn't jived by any of the three people who were suspects.  They weren't very likeable, which dampened the concept for me.  Since I didn't care who did it or who got arrested, it seemed like the writers took a great concept idea and sort of wasted it.

And darn it...I'm going to miss Michael!  He wants to do other things, and I'm trying to be a good fan by respecting his choice and being happy for him, BUT we're going to lose Tony, which makes me sad.  I love Tony's friendship/mentorship with Bishop, and who's going to call McGee "Mc (insert rest of word) next year?  It's going to be so odd without Tony in the squad room.

Mark, maybe because of all the pounding he took playing football, is really looking like he has a fairly serious case of some sort of arthritis.

ETA: It was reported somewhere that Mark had knee-replacement surgery during the summer break.  From just a layperson's understanding of that recovery time, I've heard it's not especially quick.

Edited by Ohmo
  • Love 3

Honestly the rest of this season is sort of marred for me with knowing that Tony isn't going to be back. With Mark Harmon's reduced presence this season, Tony really carries the show for me. Him stopping his read of Tim's poem and the subsequent bit with Bishop - I will so miss bits like that. Sigh.

I agree that the show is best when it's case of the week. The long arcs have dragged the show down for the most part - although that is in large part because most of the long arcs have involved Ziva/Mossad/all that, which was like a 10 ton anchor dragging the show to the bottom of the Atlantic. (just, you know, my opinion...)

• Love 6