Type keyword(s) to search

S11.E11: Entropy

• Start Topic

-I think JJ may have had three lines, tops. She was woefully underused...and I didn't complain. You'd think that says something about the quality of the character.

I think she had two lines.

The only explanation to this> AJ was sick when the episode was filmed... and i complain. Because, i would never wish for someone to be sick.

ReidFan, I "liked" your post, but somewhat with tongue in cheek. Reid is my favorite, and i think it's fine to have him be occasionally featured heavily as he was here; but, i realize this is a team show, and ideally, there should be a team balance with one or two featured members per episode. I would love it if he were dominant every week, but not everyone would. 

The miracle of this episode was that Reid could be so dominant with such a good showing for the rest of the team. Kudos to BF!

Edited by normasm
  • Love 5

ReidFan, I "liked" your post, but somewhat with tongue in cheek. Reid is my favorite, and i think it's fine to have him be occasionally featured heavily as he was here; but, i realize this is a team show, and ideally, there should be a team balance with one or two featured members per episode. I would love it if he were dominant every week, but not everyone would. 

The miracle of this episode was that Reid could be so dominant with such a good showing for the rest of the team. Kudos to BF!

that's why I had the O:-) face, Normasm. I realise too, that it's supposed to be a TEAM effort but too often he's marginalised and/or not a factor at all so... yeah... I'm fully aware that it can't be all Reid all the time, much as that would be my favourite show ever, it wouldn't be Criminal Minds.

• Love 4

I haven't had a chance to watch it a second time, yet, but I loved it. I loved the scenes with Reid and Cat, but I still didn't feel they did a good enough job explaining the dirty dozen or the need for all the hitmen targeting the BAU or more specifically Garcia. This would have been a better episode if it had not had that additional nonsense tied to it, if they were just investigating a team of hitmen. I thought most of the rest of the team had decent screen time and significance. It's okay for one character to be heavily used once in a while, and the fact that Reid was missing for 3 consecutive episodes prior to this one...well, I don't think anyone should complain if he got most of the lines this time. Loved that Hotch was leading the team. Loved Rossi's use of the term ***off - very Chicago. And even though I'm not much of a Morgan fan, the scene with Morgan and Reid at the end actually made me cry. I can't remember the last time Criminal Minds made me cry, other than crying over how bad the writing has been. Great job, Breen. I don't think there were any more flaws in the writing of this episode than there have been in most of the episodes in the past 4 seasons. When I enjoy the story and the acting is good, I'm less likely to nitpick about plot elements. And I have to say, Reid was gorgeous and completely in control. Loved it. 

• Love 6

I don't care about the inconsistencies. I don't care if a lot of it didn't make sense and was only put there for plot purposes. Because:

1. I didn't have to watch a show with 60 percent unsub that I fast-forward. I watch for the team.

2. Actual profiling was done.

3. Another reason I fast-forward through the unsub show. No t0rture Pr0n.

4. No scene where the team reads off the profile one sentence at a time. Designate a freaking profile giver, PLEASE, show!

5. JJ wasn't the savior and amazing and kick-ass. I expected her to defuse the b0mb, take out the b0mber, and then get into a fight with Cat where she knocks her out. None of that happened. She was barely in the episode and didn't get to empathize with another parent. WIN

6. The show remembered Reid is a profiler.

I didn't fast-forward this episode. That signifies success to me. I have discovered that any show that starts out with the team where you kind of have to figure out what's going on, are the episodes I like the best. Any that start with the unsub I know the show is going to be twenty minutes for me.

I do agree with your points, especially number 4, I hate it, it felt more natural in early seasons. Now, it's weird and it seems the writers are obligated to give every actor a line.

once said that, I've tried watching the episode again, keeping my complaints aside, and I still find it boring :(

I'm happy for the show and for you guys. Now, I'm looking forward to that plot with Morgan. I hope they deliver something original and entertaining.

Edited by smoker
  • Love 2

Forgot the show was back on (apparently, the winter break cliffhanger didn't excite me enough to remember it).

I said to my husband that drunk Penelope is the same as sober Penelope except she wobbles a bit more when she walks.

I liked this episode - nice change from the normal.  Very glad that this is, probably, the end of the whole Dirty Dozen business, which I never really understood.  

A couple of little nit-picks --- I thought the scene of Reid going to Morgan's house was unnecessary.  It was like they put it in there to make sure that viewers knew that Reid hates hugs and that he wasn't just saying it to keep from hugging the unsub, so that we'd understand waht a special moment the hug at the end was.  I thought it was rude of Morgan's girlfriend to insist on hugging Reid anyway, and very rude of Morgan and the girlfriend to get all lovey-dovey in front of Reid.

The other nit-pick - They set up the unsub as being really good at being observant and knowing what was going on and predicting what was going to happened, then, she suddenly loses all of her skills because they tell her that her father is outside. She doesn't even ask to see a picture. Or was she willing to go because she lost the bet - 'cause, ya know, murderers have too high of morals to welch on a bet.  

• Love 2

"Baby-mama" means that she is the mother of his child, so it's not really an appropriate term to describe either Penelope or Savannah, which is where the confusion came in.

It has a negative connotation, especially in regards to African-American women.

• Love 1

I've noticed they use Matthew a seemingly disproportionate number of times to do the voiceover quotations that begin and end an episode. Not that I'm complaining, but it just seems to me it's more often than not his voice. Perhaps cause he has the best one, I dunno. It was Mandy a lot in the first two seasons but unless I'm imagining it, it seems to be Matthew mostly :) 

and that wouldn't count as screentime cause we don't see Da Face, just hear Da Voice but it would up his word count. 

am I nuts?

(oh geez, there's a set up if I ever saw one)

• Love 3

For me, it's about quality rather than quantity. I couldn't possibly care less about the number of words each character utters per episode, especially since so much of what these characters say is just rote exposition anyway. I care about how enjoyable, memorable, interesting, etc. the screentime they get does (or doesn't!) turn out to be. 

Edited by amensisterfriend

I say "amen" to that to that sister, but quality isn't, um, quantifiable, LOL. It's quite true that, for instance, the quality of Reid we got in Nelson's Sparrow was roughly equal to the quality of Reid we got in Entropy, even though the quantity of lines couldn't be more different. However, when a character is marginalized in both quality and quantity, one can readily point to a quantifiable lack, while it's much harder to point to lack of quality.

There's value in pointing out both, and i find it interesting to see quantity of lines and screen time. 

Edited by normasm
  • Love 3

I've noticed they use Matthew a seemingly disproportionate number of times to do the voiceover quotations that begin and end an episode. Not that I'm complaining, but it just seems to me it's more often than not his voice. Perhaps cause he has the best one, I dunno. It was Mandy a lot in the first two seasons but unless I'm imagining it, it seems to be Matthew mostly :)

and that wouldn't count as screentime cause we don't see Da Face, just hear Da Voice but it would up his word count.

am I nuts?

(oh geez, there's a set up if I ever saw one)

I don't know if you're nuts, but MGG does a little bit of poetry reading on the side. I was surprised a few years ago to randomly find a version of one of my favorite poems read by him (Annabel Lee by Poe - apart from being a really awesome poem, if you read my username backwards you'll see why it's extra special to me!)

So maybe he actually enjoys doing the quotes more than the others.

Edited by Lebanna
  • Love 5

My only flaw with the episode: Spencer should have had the final word in his conversation with Cat, and say "You're not worth the memories." Then the door gets closed and she remains in there, in the dark. Of course, it later turns out that he really was affected by her comment, like it was shown. But I guess Reid can't be witty anymore.

• Love 3

watched it on CBS tonight (Canada's CTV usually simulcasts but they didn't tonight for some reason) again. Enjoyed it again. I actually watched it with the intention of paying attention to the facial expression/physical acting rather than the line delivery.

Have I mentioned how good Matthew was in this? Just spectacular.

I can go to sleep happy now

• Love 6
(edited)
5 hours ago, SSAHotchner said:

I watched it too. If only Reid could be written like this in every episode. 

if Breen Frazier wrote more of the episodes, he would be.....

Edited by ReidFan
typo
  • Love 3

*happy dance*

after a really, really crappy depressing weekend..... *Entropy* is my daily rerun from Bravo today. Thank you, program director at Bravo Canada :D.  Hubby and son both at work, house to myself, Day Made!

• Love 2
16 hours ago, ReidFan said:

*happy dance*

after a really, really crappy depressing weekend..... *Entropy* is my daily rerun from Bravo today. Thank you, program director at Bravo Canada :D.  Hubby and son both at work, house to myself, Day Made!

I love love love the assertive, strong Dr Spencer Reid in this one :-). I also enjoy the Morgan/Reid interactions in this episode.

• Love 2

I love the chemistry between Matthew and Aubrey Plaza in this one. It's too bad she's an unsub, because *this* is one love match for Reid I coulda bought......if she wasn't a baddie :)

• Love 1
2 minutes ago, ReidFan said:

I love the chemistry between Matthew and Aubrey Plaza in this one. It's too bad she's an unsub, because *this* is one love match for Reid I coulda bought......if she wasn't a baddie :)

Yes you are absolutely right about that. They would have made a great couple...sigh....

I don't thinks Messer is planning to give us any possible love interest for Reid. I think they want us to think that Reid is completely incapable of finding any girl which would have genuine interest in him.

I for one wouldn't trust the "love interest" they would trot out for Reid nowadays. Maeve was wonderful in almost every way, but they planned to off her from the get-go, which tells me they don't "get" Reid if they think he couldn't have been interesting with this girlfriend popping up from time to time like Hayley did, and Savannah, etc. They gave us Loker, but it was just to show that Reid was still alive "in there" and nothing more. The only other potential girlfriend they posed was Einstein, and, just groan: every single Mary-Sueism possible, and, although the actress herself was cute and capable, it would have been howl-worthy if they had made Dr. Reid a matchy-matchy genius gf.

• Love 4
21 minutes ago, ReidFan said:

yeah, the man will die a virgin if it's left up to the actual show to deal with.

:-\

I know :-(...I just wish Reid has someone in his life before the show ends. I just want one more season to see some sort of happiness for Reid.