Type keyword(s) to search

S18.E12: Carrie Fisher, Daisy Ridley, John Boyega, David Beckham and Kylie Minogue

• Start Topic

In principle Graham's guest mixing of people from different areas is a good idea. Especially when he loads up people from a single movie and you need some relief.

But Kylie Minogue?  Come on. Talk about a bad match.

I DID love the reveal that Carrie Fisher's big mouth specifically leaked the movie plot to Graham a full year ago. I laughed pretty hard learning that.

And Carrie's dog again was the best part of any interview.  Go figure.

Squeaky Beckham just bored me, as per usual.  I suppose if I had a hard-on for the game, like the Brits, I'd have enjoyed it more but.... I don't.

Edited by Kromm
  • Love 1

Well, it was fun. I also loved the reveal that Graham Norton had known the plot for a whole year. Carrie Fisher is a hoot though I'm not a fan of her dragging her dog everywhere. But she was entertaining making sure the other two (who must be completely overcome by the craziness and sleep deprivation) had a good time and felt comfortable. I laughed at Dad's reaction: 'I'm more of a Star Trek fan.'

Kylie Minogue was there to promote her album but I agree if the highpoint of your appearance is that you got almost beheaded by John Boyega then things could have gone better. I always enjoy Beckham although I'm not a football fan (yeah, yeah soccer). Loved him video-bombing his kid's online bragging although it was a bit cruel.

• Love 1

Kylie Minogue was there to promote her album but I agree if the highpoint of your appearance is that you got almost beheaded by John Boyega then things could have gone better. 

Kylie barely seemed to care who she was sitting there with. That's why her inclusion was just a waste. I talk about this in the Norton Pros and Cons topic, but really if you have these brigades of stars all from the same movie on, and then add someone else on to try and mix it up a bit, then there has to be a hook.  There are a few ways to do this well based on past examples.  A wry outsider who leverages the difference in fame/circumstances/publicity/pay to interact with these people in a way that pokes their bubble of global stardom (not that this applies in a normal way yet to Ridley or Boyega, but they're on the brink of it). Or a fanboy/girl, where Graham himself can make it work by milking that for comedy from his end. Kylie didn't have anything to say, other than briefly perking up at the idea that Daisy had a sibling in Oz, so she was superfluous (and despite 2 of them being from a country where Kylie is a big star, none of them really seemed to care all that much that Kylie Minogue was sitting next to them, so that didn't spark either). 

Edited by Kromm
  • Love 1
(edited)

I think Graham has Kylie on a lot because he genuinely likes her. She may not have a lot to say, but I always enjoy her when she's on. And yea, he mentioned "Galavant."

Overall, I thought this episode was kind of dull. Carrie tried, but there was something off with her. There were times she was sprawling on the couch.

I was surprised that Daisy Ridley was so bland. John Boyes was charming; he made up for Daisy's lack of personality.

I always like David Beckham's appearances. He seems so down-to-earth. I liked his photo bombing of his son's video. (Although I checked -- he had only 20 million Instagram followers, not 52 million).

Edited by SmithW6079
  • Love 2
And yea, he mentioned "Galavant."

He seemed not to know the show, though, which surprises me, if only given the metric fuckton of Brits in supporting roles and cameos on it. And it's filmed in the UK! I guess it hasn't aired there...

• Love 1

I always like David Beckham's appearances. He seems so down-to-earth. I liked his photo bombing of his son's video. (Although I checked -- he had only 20 million Instagram followers, not 52 million).

Some reason I thought they were talking Twitter not Instagram? Also, he could've had 52 mil at his peak and dropped? This is a wild guess. I don't social media.

Only just realized BBCA was airing Graham Norton again (yay!) so I managed to record this episode, which I had been wanting to see. I agree that the couch was a bit of a mix-- I could have lived without Kylie (nothing against her-- she's actually quite charming, but seemed out of place her, aside from having the album out). John Boyega sure is charming as hell-- despite all the hype and kind of instant fame that has come with being in Star Wars, he seems very relatable and down to earth, and also like just he's a really nice guy. Daisy seems a bit more subdued, but that could just be her personality or perhaps she just hasn't adjusted to the attention yet. I'm sure we'll see them again in the future! =)

I cracked up at Carrie giving Daisy advice not to go though the crew like wildfire. And at Graham making the comment about Carrie having nicked one of the lightsabers from the set to bring to his show.

Having seen the show after TFA, I did wonder at Boyega being the one who was given the prop lightsaber and giving the demonstration though. Presumably Ridley went though more training than he did to handle it. Did this episode air in Britain before the release?

Edited by Bruinsfan

I cracked up at Carrie giving Daisy advice not to go though the crew like wildfire. And at Graham making the comment about Carrie having nicked one of the lightsabers from the set to bring to his show.

Having seen the show after TFA, I did wonder at Boyega being the one who was given the prop lightsaber and giving the demonstration though. Presumably Ridley went though more training than he did to handle it. Did this episode air in Britain before the release?

Nothing to do with the show specifically, but I'm pretty sure I read that neither of them got training because JJ Abrams wanted them both to look like untrained newbies when they handled the lightsaber.

• Love 1

I really find myself liking David Beckham, in spite of my past animosity (I'm a Liverpool supporter, and he was the face of the Dark Side for so long! Don't even get me started on the red-card kick in front of the referee in the World Cup). But he's really turned into - oh, it pains me to say it - a nice self-effacing bloke. Charitable causes, Mr. Mom, sense of humor. It probably also helps that he has somehow figured out a way to speak in a deeper voice and has stopped wearing sarongs.

Damn. I hate when I have to give up a good grudge.

• Love 2