Type keyword(s) to search

Princess Isabella: Medieval Cool Girl

Thought I'd start a thread for our Isababble!

I can't wait to see what she does this season. Personally, I hope that when all is said and done she gives her jerk parents the royal boot. An arranged marriage to your cousin is one thing, but letting a 10 year old lock your daughter up in a dollhouse? That's low.

• Love 1

Just so you know, her full name is Princess Isabella Maria Lucia Elisabetta of Valencia.  No wonder she prefers "Izzy"!

Actually, it's Isabella Lucia Maria Elizabetta.  I asked Kat Likkel about this on Twitter a couple days ago because my OCD got the best of me.  The ABC website and the name on screen in the pilot is Isabella Lucia Maria Elizabetta but Sid, erroneously, says Isabella Maria Lucia Elizabetta.  She said it was an "oops".  Teeheee.

• Love 1

Actually, it's Isabella Lucia Maria Elizabetta.  I asked Kat Likkel about this on Twitter a couple days ago because my OCD got the best of me.  The ABC website and the name on screen in the pilot is Isabella Lucia Maria Elizabetta but Sid, erroneously, says Isabella Maria Lucia Elizabetta.  She said it was an "oops".  Teeheee.

Heck, they could have done an additional production number around that "Oops!"  Talk about a missed opportunity!

• Love 1

Heck, they could have done an additional production number around that "Oops!"  Talk about a missed opportunity!

Well, I did wonder if it was a deliberate mistake from Sid - that the show was poking fun at itself for Izzy's tongue-twister of a full name.

So far, I'm sadly disappointed with the direction Isabella is going this season.  She's supposed to be the smart one on this show, couldn't she tell it was a bad connection?  Yes, I know it's a parody but still...

At least she called out her parents on how messed up this whole betrothal was.  Honestly, by the time this is all over, she should leave them without giving them even a necklace to remember her by.

• Love 1

So far, I'm sadly disappointed with the direction Isabella is going this season.  She's supposed to be the smart one on this show, couldn't she tell it was a bad connection?  Yes, I know it's a parody but still...

At least she called out her parents on how messed up this whole betrothal was.  Honestly, by the time this is all over, she should leave them without giving them even a necklace to remember her by.

As I said in the episode thread, I really hope that when Isabella wakes up after a night of heartbreak that she realizes that there was something wrong with the amulet's connection and that there's no way Galavant would have "called" her just to dump her in such an ignoble manner.  She knows he's not that kind of man.  Until next week, I'm chalking her initial reaction up to the stress of her own situation and shock at what she thinks Galavant said instead of what she knows in her heart to be true.

• Love 3

It shouldn't matter.  She should have broken out of the doll-house and not looked back, regardless of what she thought Gal said.  Isabella from last season would not have resigned herself to captivity again.

See also my response in the Feminism thread.

• Love 1

Let's get her expendable butt out of here!

http://previously.tv/galavant/nobody-on-galavant-needs-princess-isabella/"> Read the story

Bringing this over from the episode thread...

I can't say I agree with this article entirely since I adore Karen David and think she's actually a pretty strong singer.  None of them are ever going to be Broadway stars and, if this TV show is ever developed into a Broadway musical, I can't see any of them making the transfer.  Case in point, check out this cover of "Goodnight, My Friend" by Adam Jacobs, currently starring as Aladdin on Broadway, which kind of blows Tim Omundson's original (which is beautiful) out of the water: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N-Q6hJpQBpg

David is easily as capable as Mallory Jansen and better than most of the female guest stars - though some of that opinion could be biased because I haven't cared for the rock or pop songs that Kylie Minogue and Sheridan Smith sang this season, Clare Foster isn't a strong singer if last night's WSS homage is any indication, Gen Allenbury isn't a singer either, and last season's "Oy, What a Knight!" did not highlight Faith Prince's talent at all.  Her acting is just fine.  She's able to play shading and nuance just fine when she's given half decent material.  Last season she was fine.  This season...

I do agree that Isabella's storyline is the weakest of the season and I don't care how much Karen David or Kat Likkel or anyone else from the show raves about it on Twitter, Facebook or in any other media, nor do I care just how excited they were to get Robert Lindsay for the Wormwood role, her storyline has still been just awful.  I really could have done without the enchanted tiara/evil wedding planner plot if they wanted Isabella to go on an emotional journey where she truly embraces her own feminism.  As stated, quite rightly, the character has had ZERO agency for the better part of 3 episodes (half the season at this point).  Do I think that the show needs to rid itself of the character? Not a chance.  The biggest hurdle the show faced, going into season 2 was with the main cast split in three locations.  It's no surprise, to me, that the stronger story arcs are with the characters who are paired with at least one other main cast member.  Isabella's storyline is not helped by the unavailability of the two strongest of the recurring characters, Chef & Gwynne (Darren Evans & Sophie McShera, due to other commitments for The Bastard Executioner and Downton Abbey weren't available for filming episodes 5-8). 

I'm really disappointed with Isabella's storyline thus far, but I think that David's doing the best she can with a storyline of limited potential. I'd have much preferred Isabella, Chef & Gwynne encounter Princess Jubilee while on their own adventures.  That could have been a really interesting plot diversion than the insanely stupid enchanted tiara crap we've been subjected to for the last 2 weeks.

• Love 8

I cheered when she got that stupid tiara off and during the last song, she pulls out her sword singing, "I have a wedding planner to see...his ass belongs to me."

Amazing how she figured out Wormood's evil plan in two seconds and yet still couldn't figure out that Galavant's "breakup" was actually a botched Skype connection.

• Love 3

Bringing this over from the episode thread...

I can't say I agree with this article entirely since I adore Karen David and think she's actually a pretty strong singer. 

David is easily as capable as Mallory Jansen and better than most of the female guest stars... Her acting is just fine.  She's able to play shading and nuance just fine when she's given half decent material.  Last season she was fine.  This season...

I do agree that Isabella's storyline is the weakest of the season

I think the article would have been more honest if it was titled "Fewer Women, More Men".  David's singing certainly holds its own and then some against that of Vinnie Jones. 

I think the whole dollhouse story-line was a terrible idea, and I don't see how anyone thought it would work for more than one episode.  They could have brought in the Evil Wedding Planner Plotter Schemer at the beginning of the first episode, and have the tiara fall off at the end.without losing any of Isabella plot.  That is completely different from removing David entirely.

• Love 3

I think the whole dollhouse story-line was a terrible idea, and I don't see how anyone thought it would work for more than one episode.  They could have brought in the Evil Wedding Planner Plotter Schemer at the beginning of the first episode, and have the tiara fall off at the end.without losing any of Isabella plot.  That is completely different from removing David entirely.

Actually, for me, a big part of the problem with Isabella's story line is that it also feels like we are whipping through an awful lot of plot points for Izzy and none of it has much chance to marinade before we're onto the next point.  Having said that, I think I would have much preferred the enchanted tiara falling off and Izzy coming to her senses in episode 4, with her then making her escape from Hortensia with Chef & Gwynne, heck, throw in the Jester for good measure.  Wormwood still could have been banished and met up with Sid in the Forest of Coincidence this week but Isabella could have dealt with her broken heart, coming into her own as a real warrior princess, while off adventuring with Jester, Chef & Gwynne.  I guess we'll have to see what happens in the next two weeks but for now, I'm very dissatisfied with Isabella's overall story line and the execution of it.

• Love 2
Yes.  There are certain attitudes I hated on TWoP that I see popping up here, every now and again.  I think it's fair to say that, in my opinion, Mr Blankenship has some biases that I do not share.  I think Ms David is fine (in acting, singing and appearance),and I appreciate having a few women among the main cast.

I don't agree with that article that it's time to get rid of Isabella or that Galavant (the show) doesn't need her.  However, I do find that the story in Hortensia is the weakest one (so far).

When S1 ended, I loved the idea of switching the players up, the idea of Galavant/Richard on road trip adventure (similar to what Galvant/Izzy/Sid did in S1) seemed like the perfect setup. This opened up opportunities for Sid to play around with Gareth/Madelana and Isabella got to interact with Jester/Cook/Gwen.  

This all sounded wonderful, on paper.  And for the most part it's working, I adore the adventures of Galavant/Richard.  I'm having all kinds of fun with Gareth/Madalena and their oddly adorable romance.  

However, the weak part of the season (so far) is Isabella's.  I get what they're trying to do, it's essentially the same story as S1, Galavant is off to save his "one true love" but, in order to do that, they had to keep Galavant and Isabella a part.  Sadly, they decided to do this by making Isabella a DiD, she's a prisoner, forced to wed Little Harry and ultimately mind controlled by an evil wedding planner.  The result is that Isabella now becomes less entertaining,  and starts to get flack when it's not the character or the actor's fault...it's the plot that has weakened the character.

I'm hopeful that we'll start to see the old, fun, snarky, smart Isabella again, now that she's completely free of both the tiara and her marriage.

Edited by Morrigan2575
  • Love 7

This—while the Hortensia plot has been by far the weakest, none of that can be blamed on Karen David (or Darren Evans or Sophie McShera)—it goes back to the writing.

If anything I think Karen has been one of the best performers on the show, though I wouldn't consider any of the regulars a weak link in need of culling.

• Love 7

I do agree that Isabella's storyline is the weakest of the season and I don't care how much Karen David or Kat Likkel or anyone else from the show raves about it on Twitter, Facebook or in any other media, nor do I care just how excited they were to get Robert Lindsay for the Wormwood role, her storyline has still been just awful.  I really could have done without the enchanted tiara/evil wedding planner plot if they wanted Isabella to go on an emotional journey where she truly embraces her own feminism.  As stated, quite rightly, the character has had ZERO agency for the better part of 3 episodes (half the season at this point).  Do I think that the show needs to rid itself of the character? Not a chance.  The biggest hurdle the show faced, going into season 2 was with the main cast split in three locations.  It's no surprise, to me, that the stronger story arcs are with the characters who are paired with at least one other main cast member.  Isabella's storyline is not helped by the unavailability of the two strongest of the recurring characters, Chef & Gwynne (Darren Evans & Sophie McShera, due to other commitments for The Bastard Executioner and Downton Abbey weren't available for filming episodes 5-8). 

I'm really disappointed with Isabella's storyline thus far, but I think that David's doing the best she can with a storyline of limited potential. I'd have much preferred Isabella, Chef & Gwynne encounter Princess Jubilee while on their own adventures.  That could have been a really interesting plot diversion than the insanely stupid enchanted tiara crap we've been subjected to for the last 2 weeks.

Oh but I love Robert Lindsey.  

I'm with everyone here - Isabella's s/l has been the weakest link this season through absolutely no fault of KD or Izzy herself. I think it could've helped if they'd streamlined the entire dollhouse prison/evil wedding planner/enchanted tiara arc into one, two episodes tops, then had her doing something - running away to find Gal, taking over Harry's throne, anything. No character looks good just sitting around waiting for things to happen to them.

Though I do love the idea of a road trip with Izzy, Chef, Gwynne, and Jester (poor guy, I can't even remember the character's real name - is it Steve?) It would've been fun with Izzy, being the best with a sword, as their defender (though I wouldn't count Gwynne out if properly provoked - she seems to have some rage issues, lol).

Anyway, two requests for next season (I'm being optimistic) - don't stick any one character off in a bubble, as we've seen with Izzy this year; and more Chef and Gwynne. Coordinate filming schedules with DE and SM's availability, please! They are too priceless to lose.

• Love 4

I'm with everyone here - Isabella's s/l has been the weakest link this season through absolutely no fault of KD or Izzy herself. I think it could've helped if they'd streamlined the entire dollhouse prison/evil wedding planner/enchanted tiara arc into one, two episodes tops, then had her doing something - running away to find Gal, taking over Harry's throne, anything. No character looks good just sitting around waiting for things to happen to them.

Though I do love the idea of a road trip with Izzy, Chef, Gwynne, and Jester (poor guy, I can't even remember the character's real name - is it Steve?) It would've been fun with Izzy, being the best with a sword, as their defender (though I wouldn't count Gwynne out if properly provoked - she seems to have some rage issues, lol).

The Chef is Vincenzo -- according to one Wikia article, the Jester's name is Steve Mckenzie.

The four of them would have made an interesting grouping.  

The Chef is Vincenzo -- according to one Wikia article, the Jester's name is Steve Mckenzie.

The four of them would have made an interesting grouping.  

As someone who has watched S1 far more than is probably healthy, and can recite a whole lot of dialogue, I can vouch for the veracity of the Wikia article when it comes to Chef and Jester's names.  We never have heard last names for Sid, Chef, Gwynne, or Gareth, and we're still waiting on first names for Galavant, and the King & Queen of Valencia (though I think last episode, the Queen of Valencia called the King "Todd" at one point - I'll ask Gen Allenbury or Kat Likkel about it on Twitter sometime this week).

I'm wondering if there's some inside joke about the minor characters having such non-medieval names as Steve, Todd and Barry. Even Sid is not really apt for the "period", unlike Magdelena, Gareth, or even Richard. 

I'm wondering if there's some inside joke about the minor characters having such non-medieval names as Steve, Todd and Barry. Even Sid is not really apt for the "period", unlike Magdelena, Gareth, or even Richard. 

Well, Sid is short for Sidney, which does work for the period.  Isabella also is quite medieval and royal.  Steve is a diminutive of Stephen/Steven, and there was an English king of the era named Stephen so it also works. 

Well, Sid is short for Sidney, which does work for the period.  Isabella also is quite medieval and royal.  Steve is a diminutive of Stephen/Steven, and there was an English king of the era named Stephen so it also works. 

As far as we know, medieval people weren't big on nicknames -- there's no reference to Charlie the Great, for instance -- preferring qualifiers like "the Great", "the Lion-Hearted" , etc.  So, Sidney, Steven, Theodore and Berach are "period", but Sid, Steve, Todd and Barry aren't (as far as I know and remember from my SCA days).

• Love 1