Type keyword(s) to search

S07.E09: White Christmas

Artsda

You guys, I missed a few seasons so don't get where that Andy guy came into the scene, but no way is he a Phil junior. Phil is a manchild and every moment has to be all about him. Andy is so insecure that every highlight of his life he's likely to wonder what he could have done better there - he doesn't read it's all about him, altought the writers are trying to sell us that - to me his acting reads more as "Gosh, how can I convince everyone that it's all about me", and I don't get the the casting choice here .

[also, and sorry because this is not PC, but Phil looks good and that Andy guy does not].

(ad I don't even like Phil as a character...)

You guys, I missed a few seasons so don't get where that Andy guy came into the scene, but no way is he a Phil junior. Phil is a manchild and every moment has to be all about him. Andy is so insecure that every highlight of his life he's likely to wonder what he could have done better there - he doesn't read it's all about him, altought the writers are trying to sell us that - to me his acting reads more as "Gosh, how can I convince everyone that it's all about me", and I don't get the the casting choice here .

[also, and sorry because this is not PC, but Phil looks good and that Andy guy does not].

(ad I don't even like Phil as a character...)

• Love 1

For real. She drops out of the work force for 20 years, waltzes back in, and gets indignant when she's not handed the CEO position. Seriously, Claire?

Does Haley have especially good qualities worth talking about? She's not especially nice to people. She's dumb. She's funny in a mean way. She's not an amazing daughter or sibling. She's not ambitious. She slept with an engaged guy. She doesn't seem to have any interests except fashion. I mean, her looks (and onetime status as popular girl) are pretty much her defining features.

Agree with both of these.  It seemed like Hailey's character was going to mature after she got kicked out of college, but no it feel likes she has actually not evolved at all as a character.

I love that the shining stuff was for the Christmas episode,where it was unexpected, and not the Halloween episode.

I am beginning to think that Gloria is the only character who does not get called out for her behavior.  I like the actress, but everyone else gets smacked around once in a while (even Lily and Joe), but the worst she gets is that she does not understand how it is like not be so beautiful and awesome.

• Love 6

Again, probably someone in tptb really like the actor.  Maybe someone saw "Lord of the Rings" and had a really big crush on Sam the Hobbit?  Actually, the guy who plays Sam the Hobbit would have been a better choice for Hailey, except for his age.

OK, I thought this was an absolutely great episode. Laugh out loud funny and even brought a few tears to my eyes, too. Excellent  writing.  So many episodes this season have been terrific, in my opinion.

Now, I guess I'm going to disagree with a lot of you posters on several points.  First, I really like Andy. In earlier episodes he was shown to be smart, hard-working, tuned in and aware, helpful, modest, kind, caring and clever. He was attracted to Haley, but kept his distance for a long time since he had an existing, if absent (and cheating), girlfriend and he thought Haley was out of his league. She, on the other hand, was trying really hard not to like him (he's not her type/he's too nice/too much like her dad, etc.) but she observed many moments that showed her he was a truly good guy. His charming, caring and sensitive attitude made him much more attractive than just his looks alone. It was only over a very long time and numerous moments that they both fell for each other. I really thought 'Beth' was a virtual girlfriend until the hospital scene where we see she is real and actually really cute. But then when we see she is a psychopath we hope the nice Andy can get away from her and he and Haley can be together.  Now those of you that say you prefer Haley's old boyfriend - well, he's just a complete moron with nothing of value to offer in any way.  I don't need to see Dylan again. So, I did not agree with Gloria's comment that Haley was a 10 and Andy was a 7 and that he was lucky to have her. Beth was equally good-looking. Perhaps Andy has some skills Gloria is overlooking (!)  Looks are only one aspect of a person's value and Andy has a lot of other things to offer that Haley does not.  Haley is really cute, but she doesn't have the best track record for offering much of anything else. 

Second, I like Luke and I enjoy the scenes he's in. I just wonder why they never address why he is so gifted in magic, but so clueless and dumb otherwise.  Phil and Claire - aren't you paying attention?  He really is the forgotten boy.  Help this kid!  Sheesh!

Third, Manny, on the other hand, has been turned into a caricature and needs some new material. Maybe he and Andy can go on a fitness regimen as a story line and help the two of them get more buff and then we will see Manny and Andy in a whole new light.

Fourth, Mitch and Cam are truly insufferable. There is only so much of them I can take anymore. It is getting old that they are so self-centered, affected and lousy parents to Lilly.  I wish we could see them grow up and stop being such victims.

But I love the show. It's usually amazing.

• Love 1

Haley's old boyfriend - well, he's just a complete moron with nothing of value to offer in any way.

The exact same could be said about Haley. They matched very well in that respect.

I guess you can not have the situation of the blind leading the blind (though I like the actor who Dylan).  It is much better for the dorky to lead to the blind?  I am pretty sure I lost the metaphor.

The exact same could be said about Haley. They matched very well in that respect.

How true, I think would have helped both Haley and Dylan if they had actually showed them succeeding with their goals. With Haley, her getting kicked out of college and working for this wack job studio guy has done nothing for the character. Especially the extreme stupid reason Haley was kicked out and never tried going to community college or applying at another school. She talks about being this fashion big shot, but we have seen zero progress of this story. She is basically mooching off her parents, we never see her at work and there is only a passing sentence that she is still with the crazy boss. Then there is Dylan, after seeing him trying to be a male nurse and being established that he wanted a career and goals, that was suppose to make Haley realize she wanted that too. Instead, he stopped going for some reason. Became a sign twirler, then he he is trying V-neck word shirts and apparently a type of jeans to go with it. He talked about getting back with his band, which we have not seen since season 1. He ends up homeless at times and has moved in with both Cam and Mitch and then with Haley. Now, they break up for apparently good because Haley wants more in life and Dylan now has been banned from Uber because he talked to the drive too much. Its not funny, its bad writing, horrible plotting and doesn't come across funny. It makes both Haley and Dylan look like mooching loser who one day won't have their looks to get by in life.

Same can be said for Andy and Beth here, they could have just had it where Andy was the one who didn't want to break up with Beth, and she decided to be nice and keep taking him back. Oh no, we get this 10 year explanation that Beth has been playing this break up/get back together game but apparently to Andy, she never cheated on him or dated other guys while they were broken up or "on a break" while Andy just did it recently with Haley after Beth and him got "engaged." Now, they want us to root for Andy and Haley now that Beth has admitted she has cheated on Andy multiple times over the last 10 year and sees no point anymore to be with Andy and is now letting him go. 

It makes things even more irritating when the only character that is seeing how bad or the mistakes everyone has been committing is Phil. Yet, Claire has no problems constantly pointing out Dylan's constant problems and annoying stupidity while everyone else encourages it. While the rest of the family goes: "Oh, that's ok Andy, now go give Joe a bath please." 

I would enjoy the show, then there would be a Haley and Andy scene and my enjoyment would deflate.  Then their scene would be over, and I would start enjoying it again, but they they would be back, and down it went. 

I don't have a problem with Andy; I kind of like him. But, I'm disappointed that the Beth problem got solved so quickly. I was wanting her to get back to her Fatal Attraction persona and freak everyone out for awhile. This story just sorta wandered away...

They should have found a way to have Beth be the Jack Nickleson character from the Shining - she would be all disheveled and crazy looking and say "Heeeere's Beth"

Not sure how they would have done this (I have only seen the Shining once, many years ago, but the references they had in the show were memorable enough)

I loved seeing Andrea Martin again, and I'm glad she got a chance to do a little singing. I thought it was a nice touch seeing Alex connect with her.

I hope we get some more visits from former SCTV folks - I'd especially love to see Rick Moranis and/or Dave Thomas drop in.

I would seriously love that. I thought Andrea Martin was hilarious. And I think Aubrey Emmonds does better when Lily acts like a real little girl, rather than when she's a precociously cynical little monster. (Although her backbiting with Sal will never not be funny.)

But Alex's family really can't tell when she's being sincere? Seriously? I hope she still has appointments booked with that therapist.