Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: Out of Genoa

• Start Topic

I brought Steve to the vet for a biochemistry and nail clip. His appetite has been fluctuating a bit and while he's been eating really well this past week, his weight did go down since last December. 

Before the blood test, the vet did remind me that there's always a small risk with drawing blood since they take it from the jugular vein using a small needle. 

After awhile he came back and said they successfully cut his nails and managed to draw blood. However, two hematomas formed on the side of his neck, and the vet applied pressure for five minutes. They also administered oxygen as a precaution but Steve was doing well and chirping. He went back to check on him again and brought him back to me after a few more minutes. I was teary and as soon as I got him home, I started sobbing and he just quietly watched me. 

Now I'm terrified to ever do another blood draw again, or put him away in boarding for 10 days while I go to Italy. I'm actually tempted to cancel the whole trip except I think my cousin would kill me. 

• Love 2

@peacheslatour Perhaps you can put some brush or a cardboard box or crate with a portion cut out over it so the momma can get in it the birds can’t or it’s not easily visible to predators. 

A lot of the wild rabbits by me have their burrows in the center of a cluster of bushes and brush so the hole isn’t visible and they can hid when they enter and exit. George can smell them and kinda remembers if he sees one boing there even long after and he returns and tries to scratch around there or sniff deeply.  Rabbits and wild animals have it so hard 😩 Then again... domestic ones don’t have it easy either. The amount of cruelty to even pets is insane and in many places not criminalized. 

• Love 4
3 hours ago, jewel21 said:

Now I'm terrified to ever do another blood draw again, or put him away in boarding for 10 days while I go to Italy. I'm actually tempted to cancel the whole trip except I think my cousin would kill me. 

You have to decide what is right for you @jewel21.

But my advice is to go to Europe.  Life presents opportunities.  This is one of those times.  Embrace it, and know that Steve will be fine.

• Love 10
7 hours ago, jewel21 said:

I'm actually tempted to cancel the whole trip

Now, listen to me, Miss Jewel. Steve is fine. You're making yourself crazy overthinking for Steve. He may have gone through a bit of discomfort but it was necessary and he survived better than you did. This Italy trip sounds too good to give up. Go, have a good time and Steve will be happy to see you when you get back.

3 hours ago, bannana said:

Life presents opportunities.

and is too short to ignore them.

• Love 12
(edited)

190502234942-knit-bird-nest-9-exlarge-16

?m=02&d=20190503&t=2&i=1383406465&w=780&

Identical twins Taiwo Adejare and Kehinde Adejare pose for a picture in Igbo Ora, Oyo State, Nigeria April 4. Twins are common in the Yoruba ethnic group that dominates this part of Nigeria, especially in Igbo Ora, where a banner welcomes visitors to the "twins capital of the world." A 1970s study by a British gynecologist found that around 50 sets of twins were born out of every 1,000 births in southwest Nigeria - one of the highest rates of twin births in the world. REUTERS/Afolabi Sotunde

funny-vandalism-street-art-97-5704c10828

Edited by Cupid Stunt
  • Love 9

Fuck is wrong w people. Walking George on the sidewalk after dinner and a big dog comes around the corner a few feet away and races at him growling aggressively I had to run into the street to get away and swing him roughly high in the air until the owner restrained him. Walking dogs off leash is illegal and walking aggressive dogs off leash makes you a garbage human. She insincerely said sorry the just “it’s okay it’s okay” in this corny voice. He could have been killed by the attack and either of us could have been hit by a car by backing into the street, stupid selfish bitch. 

Hes still a bit shoken up (literally and figuratively). 

• Love 1
(edited)
52 minutes ago, Petunia13 said:

Fuck is wrong w people. Walking George on the sidewalk after dinner and a big dog comes around the corner a few feet away and races at him growling aggressively I had to run into the street to get away and swing him roughly high in the air until the owner restrained him. Walking dogs off leash is illegal and walking aggressive dogs off leash makes you a garbage human. She insincerely said sorry the just “it’s okay it’s okay” in this corny voice. He could have been killed by the attack and either of us could have been hit by a car by backing into the street, stupid selfish bitch. 

Hes still a bit shoken up (literally and figuratively). 

I totally, 1000% agree, very sorry you and George got put in that position by that thoughtless asshole.  It's all about her ego, and she put her own dog in danger as well as you and yours.

Some people - a lot of people - are too damned selfish to have animals.

Edited by boes
  • Love 12
(edited)

anyone watch game of thrones?

saw on the news that at the 17.38 mark of the episode there is a starbucks cup next to the actress on the desk...

the joke going around is that starbucks really is everywhere..

however, bet the directors and showrunners aren't happy tho.

image.thumb.png.681c8e77e208ff07e7d20fbbb5d81258.png

Edited by valleycliffe
  • LOL 9
  • Love 1
11 hours ago, jpagan05 said:

@Cupid Stunt That black bean burger sounds great- crushed tortilla chips as a binder? Yummm!

It's a very good recipe and easy to make.

My brother uses Doritos, any and all flavors, with no salt (no need with so much salt in the chips). I'm a Fritos gal myself; no additional salt needed.

America's Test Kitchen has lots of meatless entrees. Once you sign up, their site only allows you to study this season's episodes, but many people post the older recipes online -- GoogleFu and you're ready set cook! All my ATK books I picked up cheap at second-hand book stores. Costco and Sam's Clubs carry them 30% off list price.

Kitchen Tool Recommendation:

I'm not a big kitchen gadget person, preferring to use what I have and not jam up my cupboards and drawers with single-use items.  Mr.Stunt and I went to the Kentucky Derby, and one of the bar backs was coring and slicing pineapples with a OXO Good Grips Stainless Steel Ratcheting Pineapple Slicer.

OXO-Good-Grips-Stainless-Steel-Ratchetin

I chatted with the bar back and he let me process two pineapples. Amazing gadget, and it works! He brought his own OXO slicer, because the professional models don't stand up to the abuse. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, valleycliffe said:

anyone watch game of thrones?

saw on the news that at the 17.38 mark of the episode there is a starbucks cup next to the actress on the desk...

the joke going around is that starbucks really is everywhere..

however, bet the directors and showrunners aren't happy tho.

image.thumb.png.681c8e77e208ff07e7d20fbbb5d81258.png

Particularly when GoT is chock full of special effects, and not one of the many film editors caught the mistake and used their magic wand to cover it with a CGI goblet.

1cceecc93783b4fd325757602bb964d7.jpg

Starbucks has got to be in their cups … so to speak.

; )

• LOL 6
  • Love 1

Well apparently I can't board Steve at the new vet like I had planned because there's already another bird boarding there and they're too small a place to take more than one bird at a time. I have to book at the Montreal hospital instead where I used to work. I'm not sure how I feel about that but whatever.  I also have to put him in boarding a day earlier than planned because we're leaving on a Sunday and the animal hospital is closed on Sundays. 

Anyone know of any good converters that can be used for hairdryers in Europe? I was looking at Amazon but most aren't for use with high voltage stuff like hair dyers, only ipads, cell phones, etc. And the only one I saw was $95. 

Gramps is driving us crazy. He keeps complaining my cousin and I can't speak Italian and won't be able to get around Italy, and he wants us to change our flight back from the Venice airport to the one in Rome. My cousin keeps trying to tell him she can't leave from Rome, because she's continuing her trip after I leave to Slovenia and her cousins will be picking her up in Venice. 

My mom is terrified we will be raped and murdered in Italy. 

Have I mentioned my whole family is neurotic?

• Useful 1
  • LOL 11
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, jewel21 said:

Gramps is driving us crazy. He keeps complaining my cousin and I can't speak Italian and won't be able to get around Italy, and he wants us to change our flight back from the Venice airport to the one in Rome. My cousin keeps trying to tell him she can't leave from Rome, because she's continuing her trip after I leave to Slovenia and her cousins will be picking her up in Venice. 

My mom is terrified we will be raped and murdered in Italy. 

Have I mentioned my whole family is neurotic?

Sounds like pretty much most families!

If you are in cities, like Venice, you don't need Italian.  It's in the countryside where you might be in a situation where they don't speak English.  But really, they have so much tourism there, they can accommodate through gestures.  We stayed in a villa in a remote part of northern Tuscany and a lot of the villages around there did not have English speakers.  But we got by, no problem.

We drove, and also took the train, and had no problems.  Italy is a great country to visit, I am jealous.✈️🍷🧀🍕😎

I don't know much about converters but I am sure you can find them much cheaper.  Maybe the Source, Walmart, or even Dollerama?

• Love 8

I didn't think of Walmart, thanks, Banana. 

Gramps keeps saying the train system is too complicated for us to take, he'll call his cousin to drive us to the airport in Rome. Like omg, we're not going to Rome, lol. Also, Italy is full of tourists, people speak English. Maybe not his family members but most Italians do. And worse comes to worse, I can speak French, hah. 

The only time we'll be in small cities is when we're going to visit gramp's side of the family, but that's only for a few days and while we're there we want to visit Pompeii and the catacombs. Then we're going to Modena where I hope they'll be more English speakers. 

• Love 10

Jewel, since you speak French, you should be able to read a fair bit of Italian. I’m not fluent in spoken French any more, but I can still read it without any issues, and that allows me to understand enough written Italian to get the gist of most of what I read.

• Love 10
On 5/6/2019 at 4:16 AM, Cupid Stunt said:

It's a very good recipe and easy to make.

My brother uses Doritos, any and all flavors, with no salt (no need with so much salt in the chips). I'm a Fritos gal myself; no additional salt needed.

America's Test Kitchen has lots of meatless entrees. Once you sign up, their site only allows you to study this season's episodes, but many people post the older recipes online -- GoogleFu and you're ready set cook! All my ATK books I picked up cheap at second-hand book stores. Costco and Sam's Clubs carry them 30% off list price.

I made them! They were delicious- great flavor and texture. I used blue corn chips, chipotle hot sauce and a little extra cilantro. I saw that the original recipe was from America's Test Kitchen and wanted to be able to print it so, as you said, found it on someone's cooking blog. I like being able to read comments to see what others have done with the recipe. One helpful site said to use a non-stick skillet and to make sure to cook them for about five minutes on each side, even if they look dark. We had them with smoked cheddar, chipotle mayo and sweet potato oven fries. Yum!

I work at a consignment store so there are always cheap cookbooks and kitchen utensils to be had.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, peacheslatour said:

I love the smell of line dried linens. Best smell in the world because it reminds me of my mom.

i do too.  i grew up with clothes line dried clothes.  especially love the towels.

anyway, the above gif i used was not my actual clothesline.  mine is attached to a tree and the back of our enclosed car port but i use it whenever i can..  

• Useful 1
  • Love 5

Bunny Update: The mama bunny is now only guarding one baby. He has his eyes open and is able to cruise around the yard. Either the other babies were killed or they left the nest and this little one is the runt and differently abled. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 6
(edited)
On ‎5‎/‎10‎/‎2019 at 2:37 PM, pearlite said:

Last year we had our neighborhood sewer replaced because of a fatberg made of cleansing wipes and other household detritus. Because we are in a separate water district, TPTB restricted all use of wipes and republished a list of other waste to go into the garbage -- Not a popular solution with some citizens, until the sewer repair and maintenance assessments came into the mail. Ouch!

Edited by Cupid Stunt
  • Love 7

Today is Mother's Day.

West Virginia activist Anna Jarvis is credited with creating the holiday that is celebrated today.

In 1908, Jarvis campaigned for a national observance of the holiday in honor of her mother, who was a community health advocate. Her mom had organized several Mother's Day Work Clubs that addressed child rearing and public health issues, and Jarvis wanted to commemorate her and the work of all mothers.

However, Jarvis later became disillusioned by how floral and greeting card companies commercialized the holiday and said she regretted starting it.

You're not alone if it's a difficult day because of estrangement, death or distance. Wanting to try to reconnect by establishing a response based in values instead of emotions isn't so simple when history is filled with pitfalls, pain and loss.

Sometimes accepting what cannot sustain us is the best course of action. Perhaps a call or text wishing them well is enough to start future conversations. Remembering the dead is appropriate, no matter how long they have been gone.

Acknowledging those that have taught and stood by you is the truest expression of Mother's Day. 

You know what is the right thing to do. 

• Love 9

I started Mother's Day with the kind of snazz I'm known for...

Decided I wanted to make egg salad--who knows why these things hit me--put eggs in water in pot on front burner of ceramic stove-top.

Promptly turned back burner up to max. Regrettably someone put the coffee maker on the stove-top...on that burner.

Gassed out the kitchen with burning plastic fumes. Cats fled to the third floor.

Off to the store to buy a new coffee maker.

• LOL 3
  • Love 4
39 minutes ago, pearlite said:

Decided I wanted to make egg salad--who knows why these things hit me--put eggs in water in pot on front burner of ceramic stove-top.

Promptly turned back burner up to max. Regrettably someone put the coffee maker on the stove-top...on that burner.

Gassed out the kitchen with burning plastic fumes. Cats fled to the third floor.

I feel your pain.

• Love 7
8 hours ago, pearlite said:

Regrettably someone put the coffee maker on the stove-top...on that burner.

That is the problem with the ceramic stove top, people treat it like it is another countertop.  Having said that, I once managed to set an ove glove, yes, an ove glove, on fire in similar fashion. 🔥🙁

• LOL 1
  • Love 8
11 hours ago, pearlite said:

Ceramic stove tops spook me, I don't know what to look for or how to regulate the heat. We had a ceramic top stove in the house we rented last summer. Mom and I were suspicious of it the two weeks we were there. My grandmother has one in her condo, so she did most of the cooking, while Mom and I prepped and washed up.

h08774EC4

I'm just glad it wasn't more serious.

Did you eventually make egg salad?

• LOL 4
  • Love 6
11 hours ago, Cupid Stunt said:

Ceramic stove tops spook me, I don't know what to look for or how to regulate the heat. We had a ceramic top stove in the house we rented last summer. Mom and I were suspicious of it the two weeks we were there. My grandmother has one in her condo, so she did most of the cooking, while Mom and I prepped and washed up.

I'm just glad it wasn't more serious.

Did you eventually make egg salad?

I'm used to the flat stove-top...except for not paying enough attention [after 10 years] to the little diagrams beside each burner knob.

Yup, I've had a thing for it lately--only with really good free-range eggs with dark-yellow yolks. And mayo. One of my five food-groups.

• LOL 3
  • Love 4

91aysLF7HfL._SX425_.jpg

lifebuzz-cddb65dd457d2264b4fa95c819158fc

• Love 6
6 hours ago, jewel21 said:

Well, I'm sick again. I've actually lost count. Is this cold/flu #4 or 5? In any case, I'm so done. 

@jewel21, I too have been sick again.  Every time I get over the cold and have a reprieve, I go back to my work out routine, feel better, and then boom I have another cold.  This last one left me with laryngitis, which is still not gone.  Sigh.

• Love 2