Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E07: The Hound and the Hare

PinkRibbons

NOTE: Reign airs on Thursdays in Canada, meaning that the episodes are very often viewed a day before they have aired in the US. Therefore please be aware that this thread will almost definitely have spoilers for those who wish to wait until Friday night to view the new episode.

Mid-Season Finale!

Mary unearths a dark secret being kept by a Spanish prince, so she seeks Catherine's counsel. Meanwhile, suspicion surrounds a new ambassador from English court; and Bash's quest to find a mysterious murderer takes him to Greer's tavern.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RCvbHAy6C9Y

Is Greer pregnant? If so by who?

Narcisse being King I could see coming a mile away, so he plotted the whole thing with Catherine and faked the liver poison to take over?

Catherine and Mary 50 Shades with the Spanish Prince was really stupid.

I really liked that episode.

Catherine and Mary are like the period piece Lucy Ricardo and Ethel Murts.   When the Prince started enjoying himself, I thought "ugh that blind fold should have been made tighter, him throwing his head back in ecstasy could dislodge the blind fold" and I thought the worst thing to happen would be him leaving France in a huff.  Oh boy.   I cringed, laughed and gasped a few times during the whole sequence.   

Elizabeth's spy is appropriately snake like, I'm surprised she didn't send someone more traditionally handsome.

Narcisse outmanuevering Catherine made me think "that bastard".

Wasn't interested in much of anything else.

• Love 3

I LOVED that. Just for the ending alone. Catherine and Mary hijinks are my favorite thing. Also, Don Carlos was quite pretty, but I would have liked to see some of the historical character's infamous Crazy as opposed to his just being kinky.

Narcisse is very very stupid if he thinks he's going to get away with this. I mean at the very least, what on earth does he think will stop Catherine from going to Lola and telling all? There goes that marriage. I predict Narcisse losing his head by season's end. Hopefully it will also be revealed that he knows who really poisoned Henri, it's been bugging me that that line was just wrapped with him getting away with it. Catherine deserves to know who really caused her husband's death, not to mention her children.

Delphine is so blah to me she makes me miss Kenna so much more. And poor Mary, all three of her ladies got pregnant by accident while she has so many problems with her fertility. I like that Greer's pregnancy was genuinely surprising (amazing use of wardrobe -- I've been thinking about how drastically her clothing has changed since she started Madame-ing, and thought it was just part of her characterization that she was wearing less structured Kenna-like clothing to go with her new lifestyle. Pretty brilliant to use it as a way to cover her baby bump too) but I don't honestly see the drama there. The Pirate was mentioned so I think we're supposed to assume he's the baby daddy (so hard to tell time passing with this show), and unlike Kenna, Greer would have a much easier time with an illegitimate child. I'm sure it's no secret that she runs a brothel, so it's not like she has much of a reputation to spoil even as a Queen's Lady. And if she does, illegitimate children are kind of a prostitution side effect. Greer can easily say that the baby belongs/belonged to one of her girls or that the child was left on her doorstep. I wouldn't be surprised if her girls already know her condition and there's a plan in place like that. I suppose the drama left is telling Mary.

• Love 2

I have no clue who they were foreshadowing as the "jack the ripper" guy.  I'm glad Greer didn't get shanked!  As for the Spanish prince (Don Carlos?) why oh why did he need such an elaborate contraption for simple S&M?  Any number of the "chairs" you see in these castles would do just fine for bondage.  And Mary/Catherine could have upped the perv stakes by suggesting to him that a 3rd person join in the fun, Catherine could have worn a mask.  I think that would have sealed the deal with the marriage.  Once that's taken care of and Mary gets the support she needs for Scotland....no more sexy times!  I cannot believe Catherine went so far but didn't go far enough!  I wonder what age Catherine is supposed to be during this episode, she is one horny woman!  I also wonder what their underclothes were like that they could easily have sex in the woods.

Edited by Happycatisfine

Strange episode...

The Mary/Catherine/Don Carlos storyline played out more like a farce.  On the other hand, Narcisse usurping the office of regent...well done.  No doubt he managed to substitute the poisoned organ to make it happen.

This show is certainly creative!

And by the way, Catherine's nightgown when Narcisse came into her bedroom - put that on my wish list, Santa!  Loved the lace! 

Edited by treeofdreams
  • Love 1

This show is starting to be my biggest guilty pleasure. With all the liberties taken with history, I never know what to expect. Plus from time to time we have the supernatural intrude. And the fashion is gorgeous, if completely inaccurate. And so is the music - thanks to the show, that Vitamin String Quartet of Ex's and Oh's was stuck in my head for days! Royals' cameo was fun too. Add to that actors that do deliver, for once. What's not to like?

Edited by NutMeg
  • Love 4

ROFLMAO at that last scene. So bizarre. What was even going on in the writer's room when someone pitched that? Were they all high? Also, I found it hilarious that the Spanish prince thought that he was being so secretive about his fetish when he was lugging around this huge crate with his S&M gear with him all over Europe.  This show is so insane, if it really is about to be cancelled, what can fill the void of anachronistic pretty dresses and absolutely ridiculous plot twists?

ROFLMAO at that last scene. So bizarre. What was even going on in the writer's room when someone pitched that? Were they all high? Also, I found it hilarious that the Spanish prince thought that he was being so secretive about his fetish when he was lugging around this huge crate with his S&M gear with him all over Europe.  This show is so insane, if it really is about to be cancelled, what can fill the void of anachronistic pretty dresses and absolutely ridiculous plot twists?

There is only one show, alas, and it got cancelled this season, but if you haven't watched it yet, it means you can fill that hole after Reign goes (if it does, who knows, it might get renewed). It's called Da Vinci's Demons, and funnily enough features a lot of Catherine's great-grandfather Lorenzo de Medici. What is it about them that attracts weird costumes and ridiculous plot twists, I don't know.

Well I don't know if they were dressed any more weirdly than any other Renaissance family in Florence, but the Medici were rich, powerful, infamous and had ridiculous plot twists within the historical record (as far as that is reliable). Add to that the rumours and conspiracies that all that naturally creates combined over the generations and with a dash of Royalty, Popes and Da Vinci....It really isn't surprising.

And I believe they were seen as some what of an upstart family in many places (including France) which always adds to spite and scandal.

Edited by Featherhat
  • Love 2