Type keyword(s) to search

Tim Gunn: Mentor? or Mentee?

As mentioned on the podcast, I think this is definitely a better venue for Tim, who I still want to like.

Yeah, I hear you.  I used to love Tim in the Bravo days.   I still do but his square. prim presence sometimes makes me yawn.  He is a fixture and sweet man. 

I no longer care for Timgunn at all, and it makes me sad because I seriously want to love him, as in days of yore.

He definitely is digging this show and this younger, maybe even more talented, cast and perhaps should make the permanent transition from PR Regular to PR: The Innocent Years. I'm just hinting.

Edited by PepperMonkey
  • Love 1

He really seems to  be enjoying himself. It's probably a fun change to work with the young, enthusiastic talent instead of all the adults who are trying to be characters and play games.  If this show is successful enough for a second season, I think they should leave Tim here and bring in a new mentor for regular PR

• Love 3

From the article posted in another thread (maybe the first episode one? I forget where oops) it sounds like Tim Gunn is fed up with the PR judges so I assume that bleeds through in how he reacts to the adult contestants vs junior ones.

From the article posted in another thread (maybe the first episode one? I forget where oops) it sounds like Tim Gunn is fed up with the PR judges so I assume that bleeds through in how he reacts to the adult contestants vs junior ones.

Apparently he's fed up with them because their haughty opinions don't mesh with his haughty opinions. His head, oh how it's grown.

http://www.ew.com/article/2015/11/12/project-runway-junior-tim-gunn-interview

I brought this Tim Gunn interview over from another thread.  Interesting.  I love that he hated season 14  and said that the fashion on junior was better than the winning collection (Ashley).  Of course anything would be!

I looked at the girls bios to see if I could figure out who the mean girl was.  He said she was home schooled.  Her father was on the set and did not like what he saw so probably gave her some advice!  Ysabel learned sewing from her father.  hmmmmm.  Okay, makes sense he would be the only dad on the set given it is his field and keeping an eye on his home schooled child.  ???

The first books I read were the Nancy Drew series so I often do private eye work!

Apparently he's fed up with them because their haughty opinions don't mesh with his haughty opinions. His head, oh how it's grown.

That is not the impression I got.  He became weary of their bickering and not listening to each other.  Nothing about them not agreeing with his take. 

Edited by wings707
  • Love 2

I want Tim to be my uncle :)

You can really see how much he loves mentoring the kids.  I think with the adults, they sometimes feel they don't need Tim to critique them.  The kids seem to listen to his advice.  He gets a chance to do what he does best in this venue.

• Love 1

You can tell he is loving this gig. 

OK - so I'm brand new to this forum.  My sig other and I purposely DIDN'T watch this show because we had seen some other iteration with purple haired Kelly Osborne and some super model who had a monotone voice, and we just decided that despite Christian Siriano (who we LOVE), this wouldn't be worth our TV time.

So now I'm 15 minutes into this kid gig, and while I never stopped loving Tim Gunn,  I'm LOVING him like I did so many years ago!  He seems energized and critical, yet caring….And already this seems like the first seasons of Project Runway….You go, Timmy!

I'm posting this before I've seen the final 30 minutes, but I'm so glad I tuned in!!

ETA - And I really don't care how these designs turn out - I think they'll be good, and even if they aren't fabulous, they'll for sure be better than most of the crap they passed off for fashion in this last season!!

Edited by RHOSingapore
  • Love 1

Y'know, as little interest as I had in  PR-JR, I did watch a string of episodes today and was much surprised to see a Tim Gunn who reminded me of the man I used to love in the early PR seasons...and then it occurred to me that he may now be much  more comfortable with mentoring a younger population of competitors...

...it did seem to me that in the last few seasons of PR, and MOST ESPECIALLY in UTG,  TG was almost resentful of the designers...it was as if he was in competition with them for the top dog spot....maybe he no longer does well with an adult based field of competitors -  In any event, he does seem to be doing much better with the kids, and as raw a talent as many of them are and as many ridiculous allowances are made for unfinished looks (the blue coat of Sam's in some team competition - was it the 60's and the other team did the 40's? - anyhow, that coat screamed POS to me - no hemming, chest pocket flaps crudely and irregularly stitched, it  must have taken a LOT of vision for anyone to see potential in that thing - which tells me that junior designer must be one of the anointed favored few to get by with such an unfinished rag) they must be being given a wide latitude in what they put on the runway...

...and it's really kind of a hoot to watch the likes of snide-holier-than-thou Christian Siriano praising these looks to the hilt....

Edited by becauseIsaidso

http://www.ew.com/article/2015/11/12/project-runway-junior-tim-gunn-interview

I brought this Tim Gunn interview over from another thread.  Interesting.  I love that he hated season 14  and said that the fashion on junior was better than the winning collection (Ashley).  Of course anything would be!

I looked at the girls bios to see if I could figure out who the mean girl was.  He said she was home schooled.  Her father was on the set and did not like what he saw so probably gave her some advice! 

Thanks for sharing this article.  PR grew stale a long time ago.  I'm not sure how to fix it but I think both Heidi and Tim have seen their days.  I much prefer TIm over at Juniors and for him, it seems like a better fit at this stage of his career.  I'm happy with All Stars, Juniors, and Threads (will Juniors take the place of Threads?).

I love Tim.  Always have and he is clearly rejuvenated by working with kids.  I think the regular runway has been on so long that it's hard to find people who produce new and innovative designs.  It's just about all been seen before.  What works for Juniors is the fact that they are juniors!  Their youthful spirits and willingness to try new things make it all seem new and fresh - and they probaby produce more interesting designs than the regular runway as a result.

As to the mean girl, I think it's Victoria:

• Bridget, Maya, and Samantha - seem too nice and others seem to like them
  • Paytie and Sami both mentioned being president's of their schools fashion clubs
  • Isabel mentioned being a cheerleader (I think!)

I was glad to read that the dad had a talk with her (whoever it was)

I have kids in the young adult range.  I side with TIm in being really impressed by the next generation.  Or maybe it's just the one's I've seen... they are amazing and they give me hope.  I was happy to hear TIm have the same sentiment.

I like the judges - they have really great chemistry.  Christian is a lovely person and he's smart and a phenomenal deisgner.  I think Kelly O has a really good eye for fashion and this seems to be a good fit for her.  Aya Kanai is AMAZING.  I lover her fashion sense and she is firm but helpful in her critiques. The kids are lucky to have these three as their judges.  In contrast to the regular PR, the judges actually want the kids to do well and provide commentary accordingly.

Can't say enough about the entire show - so good!

Edited by Jextella
  • Love 2