Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E05: Hot Seat

Mary Jane is something else. You're strong arming your boss to get back on air, meanwhile, you're strolling into work late every day and not even bothering to prepare before broadcast? Girl...  At least it lit a fire under her ass and she started to act right. Let's see how long it lasts.

Sick or no sick, I'm over every one walking on eggshells around Helen/Shug Avery. She's so damn unpleasant.

• Love 4

I was so happy that Mary Jane's "fat ass" boss didn't take any crap from her.  Plus, she is such a bitch, rescinding her $5,000 donation because the lawyer didn't meet her expectations and get her job back fast enough. 

It was nice to see Patrick's ex, played by Jill Scott.  I haven't watched every episode so I don't know if this is the first time we've seen her. 

I'm kind of surprised this is the first time Mary Jane has been with a white guy.  I hope he and Broke Dick guy kick her ass to the curb next week.  

And Shug Avery is a bitch, but one thing I'll say about her is that she looks good for 71.  Her neck looks much younger and usually that's a dead giveaway.

Edited by Ohwell
  • Love 4

Yeah, MJ was all Billy Bad arse until her boss knocked her down a couple of pegs. Her work ethic and attitude---not race---was the problem. Any other boss would've fired her on the spot after she pull that stunt in front of the media. Maybe this time, she'll get it together.

I enjoy the scenes with MJ and Mark; especially when calls her on behavior like he did last night. Who asks for their donation back?? So petty and tacky.

Jill Scott looks great! I think she and Richard Brooks have great chemistry. That being said, I'm glad she defended Patrick after Niecy acted like jerk.

Edited by sereion
  • Love 2

Loved Jill Scott. Hope to see more of her.

The comments about Mary Jane as a person is why I have never been able to stick with this show for more than a few episodes. She is such a heartless, self-centered, self-serving nightmare of a person. Racism is real and to use a social justice organization for your own benefit and rescind your contribution when they fail to jump through your hoop within your deluded timeframe speaks volumes for her character.

I will say I am seeing more depth to this season and surprisingly see myself sticking around for the foreseeable future. However, this is being done inspite of the Mary Jane character and not because of her.

• Love 6

I was so happy that Mary Jane's "fat ass" boss didn't take any crap from her.  Plus, she is such a bitch, rescinding her $5,000 donation because the lawyer didn't meet her expectations and get her job back fast enough.

I'm glad Greg reprimanded her, but did he have to use the word "sassy"? That's something you say about a kid. There are better words he could have used. I would have even taken "stank attitude" over "sassy." Speaking of word choice, I liked Mark's use of the term "gauche" to describe Mary Jane's rescinding her donation. That's one of my favorite words.

Edited by mrsbagnet
  • Love 3

My reading was that the writers chose "sassy" specifically because it has belittling and even racist connotations. Many times, that is how white execs would speak to an out of line black, female employee to put her back in her perceived place; especially after hearing her refer to him as "fat ass" which is probably an insecurity for him anyway. I guarantee he and others refer to her attitude and affect as sassy and even worse when she is not in the room.

I also think the tone of that speech was to say just because someone has negative feedback and delivers it in a borderline offensive way, that doesn't mean the substance of their assessment of you is incorrect. Many times people get caught up in the tone of delivery and lose the fact that even haters are right sometimes. I can see that as a problem with a personality type like Mary Jane who loves to dish it out, but can't take criticism and definitely not from anyone she believes to be inferior.

Edited by red12
  • Love 6

I thought that Mary Jane's boss was nasty as well as being a "fat ass." I liked that she took her contribution back

organizations like that don't help black women, yet want black women to "cape" for them.

I do like her haircut.

I thought that Mary Jane's boss was nasty as well as being a "fat ass." I liked that she took her contribution back

organizations like that don't help black women, yet want black women to "cape" for them.

--I think MJ's boss was out of line for calling her sassy. Otherwise, he wasn't wrong to call her out on her casual and cavalier attitude at work.  BTW, why didn't Kara announce that they were on speaker phone when she called MJ? I know the show needed MJ to say "fat ass," but telling someone they're on speaker phone is basic phone etiquette. 

--You shouldn't take back charitable donations. By giving money in the first place, you've already declared that you support the organization's principles and practices. She wasn't paying for services rendered or to retain an attorney, and therefore, she shouldn't have acted that way. 

I enjoy the scenes with MJ and Mark

Me too. Mark is probably my favorite character, even though we don't see him much. Sounds like he'll play a more prominent role in next week's episode. And Is it true that some gay men are never "receivers"? I thought the intercourse always (or sometimes) had to be reciprocal, but maybe not. 

• Love 7

I do like her haircut.

I didn't think he was being nasty, I think he was giving a "warning shot" let her know that her she was on thin ice with the network; he even went so far as to document her behavior. If he really wanted to be nasty, he could've quickly replace her with Marisol without informing MJ. Notice how she came to work early after their discussion. As for the donation, MJ only donated that money for selfish reasons; when it didn't work in her favor, she rescinded. If the organization was caught up in an epic scandal--It would make sense, but because she couldn't return to work at a timeframe that SHE wanted?  Totally foul and spiteful.

Edited by sereion1
  • Love 4

Mark is probably my favorite character, even though we don't see him much. Sounds like he'll play a more prominent role in next week's episode. And Is it true that some gay men are never "receivers"? I thought the intercourse always (or sometimes) had to be reciprocal, but maybe not.

Yeah, while I'll never be so presumptuous as to speak about the sexual mores of any community because :in my Biggie voice: there's levels to this shit, I wasn't surprised by Mark's confession. Considering how closeted he is, which is what ultimately led to the demise of his relationship, I wouldn't be shocked if he felt as if receivers are feminine.

I do like Mark, though. I consider him the Kim to Mary Jane's Whitley.

• Love 1
Mark is probably my favorite character, even though we don't see him much. Sounds like he'll play a more prominent role in next week's episode. And Is it true that some gay men are never "receivers"? I thought the intercourse always (or sometimes) had to be reciprocal, but maybe not.

Yes, it's true. There are tops (givers), bottoms (receivers), and versatiles (do both). And then all sorts of things in the middle (oral only, foreplay only, etc.)