Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E19: Perditus

MarkHB

I found it interesting that they very carefully avoided using the "z" word when the shambling undead were coming after them.

Maybe it was because I was tired, but I got a bit teary-eyed a couple of times, seeing Audrey's reaction to both of Charlotte's deaths and then seeing Charlotte's final death. Her death surprised me because they've managed to save "dead" characters before. The other resurrection sisters who saved Nathan were taken out of town at the end of their episodes, so I guess they're on the other side of the fog and can't be reached now.

Charlotte's death made me sad for Dwight. Plus, I liked her character. But I guess they can't make it too easy to build the barn. This has to last for the rest of the season.

Interesting reveal at the end. I thought something weird was going on with Dave.

• Love 2

Nooo! Don't let Dave be Croatoan. It makes sense that they might share consciousness at points if Croatoan is inhabiting and controlling Dave, but I don't want to imagine that he has been a cold-blooded killer faking his befuddled persona for decades. Charlotte didn't seem to recognize him as her husband when she arrived in Haven.

I haven't been pleased at the way the mythology has unfolded the last couple of seasons but I'm warming to the idea of the Lost Colony being the first attempt at a Haven in the New World as well as the Crockers originating in the Powhatan population as Trouble harvesters for Croatoan. Early on--and still in the opening credits--there were hints that the Troubles and Native Americans had a connection, so good to see that coming up with Duke.

Edited by Cardie
  • Love 2

Nooo! Don't let Dave be Croatoan. It makes sense that they might share consciousness at points if Croatoan is inhabiting and controlling Dave, but I don't want to imagine that he has been a cold-blooded killer faking his befuddled persona for decades. Charlotte didn't seem to recognize him as her husband when she arrived in Haven.

I don't think it's Dave who is Croatoan. It doesn't make sense - surely Charlotte would have known? And Dave doesn't seem the type. Anyway I thought Bill Shatner was doing that part? Has that been stated anywhere? I thought I heard he was a major character in the second half of the season, and I can't see who else he would be playing. 

I can handle the idea of Dave being controlled by him, though. 

I agree the mythology has been all over the place in the past couple of seasons, but it does seem to be acknowledging its roots if not in the way originally intended. Retconning is inevitable I suppose, but I would love all those lovely titles and ideas in the first season to actually mean something.

Edited by spottedreptile
  • Love 1

Things seem to be unravelling with this show and not in a good way. The answers seem to have been left a little too late and are not as interesting as they could have been. If Dave remembers Roanoke and they seem to be implying he was actually there, then how old is he, Howard brought him to Haven as a baby in 1936.

Never really liked Charlotte but felt sorry for Dwight. The guy Duke was talking to reminds me of Garland Wuornos, the actor who played Garland.

A recurrent theme in this show is that everyone else should just let go, and let their loved ones die except for Audrey and Nathan who can and have used extreme measures to stay together.

Edited by BlueJay81
  • Love 3

Things seem to be unravelling with this show and not in a good way. The answers seem to have been left a little too late and are not as interesting as they could have been. If Dave remembers Roanoke and they seem to be implying he was actually there, then how old is he, Howard brought him to Haven as a baby in 1936.

Never really liked Charlotte but felt sorry for Dwight. The guy Duke was talking to reminds me of Garland Wuornos, the actor who played Garland.

A recurrent theme in this show is that everyone else should just let go, and let their loved ones die except for Audrey and Nathan who can and have used extreme measures to stay together.

But it's Twu Wuv!!! All I got from this episode was that Duke is going back to Haven. About damn time.

• Love 2

Since no one else has said it, I'm going to:

ZOMBIE HORDE!!!!!!

Also, didn't it look like Charlotte was herself the attacker when Undead!Charlotte looked in the mirror?

And did anyone else wonder if feeding the resurrected people a steady diet of brains would keep them from going all ravenous zombie?

• Love 1

Yep!  I would have much preferred to have Ona's trouble work and cause some other obstacle to the Barn-raising.  Because killing off Charlotte (twice!) when Audrey and Nathan have been kept alive for less just reeked of PLOT! 

PLUS, Charlotte should have been saved by the Judgement card last week -- but again that only works for Certain People.

Edited by jhlipton
  • Love 2

I'm to the point that when it comes down to that tear-jerking moment where Audrey or Nathan has to let the other one die to save Haven, and they are having their tragic "I love you" scene, I am probably going to shout, "About fucking time!" and then hope for a parade of all the people who have sacrificed their loved ones for the Troubles.

• Love 3

I don't know if it's just me, did anyone else find Ona's lack of expression funny when Audrey told Ona that Henry(?) was EATING HER SISTER, I mean, there was basically no reaction. She puddled up a little bit later, but I think she was talking about Henry, instead of her sister.

I want Duke back. Even if he has to find annoying girl who can slip through walls.

• Love 1

Duke needs to be back in Haven. At this point, he's the most interesting one in the trio.

Somehow, when Nathan stuck his penis in Audrey, it caused a Boring Trouble to infect them both. Gah. I never particularly enjoyed their romantic tension and liked them much better as friends, but I could have accepted it if it had been done well. It hasn't. 

What the fuck happened to this show?

• Love 4

I can't help it. Charlotte said "So you wanna build a barn?" and my parody lobe immediately shouted "Do you wanna end the Troubles? Do you wanna build a barn?" I didn't get much further because I couldn't come up with a good line that rhymed with 'barn.' But be it known that I tried.

I'm sure I would have gotten tired of him in short order, but I do still feel bad that we left Seth behind. He and Duke made a fun team. And speaking of minor characters and since I forgot to mention it last week, it was good to see Lacey from Corner Gas on my screen again.

In one of the pre-season articles, someone teased that Duke was going to respond to unleashing the new Troubles by being 'selfish, noble, clever, and brave -- in that order.' We've seen the 'selfish,' and presumably choosing to go back is the 'noble.' Looking forward to the rest of the list, even as grimly as I suspect the 'brave' is going to be a heroic sacrifice.

Edited by Tabbyclaw
  • Love 1

I can't help it. Charlotte said "So you wanna build a barn?" and my parody lobe immediately shouted "Do you wanna end the Troubles? Do you wanna build a barn?" I didn't get much further because I couldn't come up with a good line that rhymed with 'barn.' But be it known that I tried.

You just don't give a darn.  (I went to "Frozen" as well...)

I was reading the "fun facts" feature on the web site, and the episode with the Sandman was the last one they shot in Chester. Then they moved production to Hallifax for the rest of the series. That was why they had a few episodes stuck in the school -- they had to strike their standing sets (like the police station) and relocate them. This episode was the first in which they had the sets rebuilt in the new studios, so that's why they were able to get back to the police station, which is no longer in a hockey rink. I wonder if that's also why they trashed the town in the story, so there would be a reason it looked like a totally different place. I suppose this means we won't see the Grey Gull again, since that was a location.

Relocating production midstream wouldn't necessarily affect the scripts, other than the fact that they had to write around the logistics of suddenly not being able to use most of their regular locations, but it could have something to do with why things feel "off." The location shooting had a lot to do with making it feel like a real town, and now they're suddenly in a totally different place.

• Love 3

I was wondering why they were shooting so many scenes with people standing next to cars, in the middle of nowhere or in really low-budget locations. That makes sense. 

So far, this season, I've only really liked the Duke scenes. The ones with Audrey and Nathan have been tedious. I've never enjoyed watching the Teages and for someone as dull as Dwight, he sure gets a lot of screen time.

I'm ready for Duke to get back to Haven and for Haven to start wrapping everything up. If the writers wanted us to want the show to "just end already!" they're doing a great job. 

• Love 2

Speaking of the Gull, I wonder if they wrote the final-episode denouement early, so they could film it there; it would seem like the perfect spot (other than the lighthouse, or the bluff that the Troubled guy jumped from in Episode 1).

Confession: I had to FF all of the non-Duke scenes to get through this episode. I tried to watch it all, I really did, but I just couldn't. Though I did have to laugh that, between Vince's "until the end of all things" line and Duke's One Ring-vision, I got a serious Middle Earth vibe from this episode. Or it could've just been my brain wandering.

Gloria is always fun, and I'm actually going to miss Seth. Duke on his way back to Haven? Finally! Maybe things will get interesting again now. Nathan and Audrey have been boring for several seasons now, ever since the Twu Wuv ate their characters. Dave and Vince wear on me, and have done so for years, and now even Dwight has lost all semblance of a personality. Yawn.

Interesting to know about the filming locations, Shanna Marie - thanks for sharing. I agree that the new locations definitely give the show a different feel - one of the things I really loved about the first season was the small town setting. IMO it really differentiated Haven from other shows, so many of which have the same old Big City setting *coughVancouvercough*. It's a shame that between production issues and (poor) rewriting of the show's history, they have lost the small town vibe.

Edited by Maelstrom
  • Love 1