Type keyword(s) to search

Spoiler Discussion Thread

Morrigan2575
  • Start Topic

It'd be interesting to see what every single cast member truthfully think about their characters...

Stephen: Is he disappointed with how the show treats his character? How many stupid things Oliver does? Is he disappointed that he doesn't get to fight as much anymore and that other characters are making his less special?

David: Is he bitter that he doesn't get as much screentime as before? Now he has to share with a lot of other people? Is he annoyed that Diggle hasn't been fleshed out more? That other characters had 2-3 years of arcs but he's virtually had none? 

Emily: Does she like Olicity (I've heard people speculate she doesn't really like them, which is her right)? Does she like what the show is doing to her character? What did she really think of her arcs in S3? Does she dislike how Felicity is always connected to Oliver nowadays? 

Willa: Does she think that Thea is sometimes nonsensical especially with how she treats Malcolm as if he's her real father? Does she like the material she's been given so far? 

Katie: Well this is self explanatory...

• Love 1

She mentioned Laurel in the courtroom again. Laurel being the backbone to the Team and her embracing someone one you wouldn't think she would.

My gods. KC has an overinflated sense of her own worth on Team Arrow. 

I just......./off to bitter land

• Love 2

It'd be interesting to see what every single cast member truthfully think about their characters...

Stephen: Is he disappointed with how the show treats his character? How many stupid things Oliver does? Is he disappointed that he doesn't get to fight as much anymore and that other characters are making his less special?

David: Is he bitter that he doesn't get as much screentime as before? Now he has to share with a lot of other people? Is he annoyed that Diggle hasn't been fleshed out more? That other characters had 2-3 years of arcs but he's virtually had none? 

Emily: Does she like Olicity (I've heard people speculate she doesn't really like them, which is her right)? Does she like what the show is doing to her character? What did she really think of her arcs in S3? Does she dislike how Felicity is always connected to Oliver nowadays? 

I think SA & DR are disappointed with current developments (or lack thereof) for their characters. I do think that EBR does not like Olicity, or at least she doesn't like a happy Olicity. It seems like she loves Scandal, so I imagine she would love for Olicity to be more Olitz like which is probably one of the most unhealthiest relationships that is promoted as supposedly some epic love. So if there is any hope left for ARROW, I pray that they avoid using Shodaland relationships as inspiration.

• Love 1

I don't think that EBR doesn't like Olicity. I think she doesn't like Felicity to be defined by Olicity. Unfortunately, you see that all too often with female characters in romantic relationships. She seems to come from the 'stable relationships make boring tv' mindset. Which means she could love the ship and still want rough waters.

She said that her and SA were protective of the relationship. I don't think you are protective of something you aren't a fan of.

• Love 16

I've never gotten the impression she was against or disliked the ship.  I remember her expressing being tired of Felicity crying so much last year (partially because of Oliver and their relationship) but I haven't read anything that made me think she's been unhappy with where they've taken Felicity and Oliver this year (so far). 

• Love 2

Sometimes I think that after all they have done with Felicity and Oliver, Laurel cannot ever be an issue again. Because everything would just not compare. All the romantic tropes were not with her and 3 years later they only thing O/L are doing is arguing. (Maybe it is just me but they seem constantly annoyed with each other)

But then KC gives an interview and I pause because maybe if she never gives up on that, why should the writers?

They'd come up with making Laurel not care about William will Felicity dumps Oliver for it. Because in MG' s version he wasn't lying about the kid.

I just find her not as relevant as some others. They could have made her talk Oliver down but not even in that scene were they allow to connect emotionally. She is (imo) just relevant because of the title BC. So while that might add something to fight scenes, LL as herself isn't emotionally relevant to the others as much as KC might believe. (Or maybe she meant backbone in the sense of handling the phone while the others are at a party.)

Edited by Belinea
  • Love 2

I was thinking... is Calculator, for sure, going to be in 4x13? I know he'll be in 4x12 'cause he's going to be manipulating Roy. And I know that the title of 4x13 ("Sins of the Father") definitely suggests Daddy Issues bonanza but, maybe, the 2nd episode Tom Amandes will be in is 4x14? Like, it turns out he escapes/comes back and is the big bad of the episode planting those bombs and threatening the debate in 4x14, NOT Darhk. After all, Ruve is in the debate, too. Unless, of course, Ruve signed off on the debate threat to somehow make herself seem sympathetic and endear herself as a Mayoral candidate.

Maybe, Calculator is the one who outs Oliver's secret in an attempt to be a father to Felicity. Sort of "Do you really know who you're marrying"/"I don't want you marrying my kid" kind of deal.

From the episode description of 4x13, it just seems like it'll be Nyssa/LoA-heavy with the sinning fathers from the title being not-at-all-dearly departed Ra's and Malcolm, since he's apparently concocting whatever inane plan to "help" Thea with her bloodlust again.

• Love 1

Everything I take a look at states that 12 is a beginning of a two episode arc for him or that it's the first of at least two episodes he's in. However, I feel like episode 13 is a safe bet simply because it would make sense to book the actor to work for let's say two weeks and then be free to go off and do other projects. Unless theyplan to have him popping by here and there for the rest of the season.

Don't know how to link on mobile, but KC did a short interview with comic book.com.

She said that Oliver and Laurel spar and that its one of her favorite scenes. I think we saw a glimpse of it in the sizzle reel - the part were she is telling Oliver what happened to Felicity is on DD.

She mentioned Laurel in the courtroom again. Laurel being the backbone to the Team and her embracing someone one you wouldn't think she would.

I've posted the article link in the Spoilers thread.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 2

Everything I take a look at states that 12 is a beginning of a two episode arc for him or that it's the first of at least two episodes he's in. However, I feel like episode 13 is a safe bet simply because it would make sense to book the actor to work for let's say two weeks and then be free to go off and do other projects. Unless theyplan to have him popping by here and there for the rest of the season.

Yeah, it was never specified that Calculator/Tom A would be in 413 but most people suspect he will be because of the name of the episode and the fact that Donna is back in SC for 413.  Seems to indicate that there's going to be a lot going on with the Family Smoak

• Love 1

I think I understand what KC is saying about being "the backbone for a lot of these characters". This season, Quentin is morally compromised and playing double agent; Oliver is struggling with not falling back into his old, dark ways; Felicity is struggling with not being able to walk; Diggle is struggling with his brother's issues; and Thea is struggling with her blood lust.  Laurel is the only one without a personal issue to deal with (aside from the sometimes conveniently set aside legal/ethical issue of vigilante versus lawyer).  Therefore, as the only one who's emotionally detached, she's the voice the writers use to say some stuff to the other characters. From KC's viewpoint, she's being their backbone. Of course, you could also view it as Laurel being on the periphery of stories in 4B, so of course she can be emotionally detached.

I disagree with her assessment that Laurel "tries to see the best in people". That's not the impression I've gotten of her character over the course of the series.

As for the person she embraces, I also think it'll be BM - when BM comes to the police station because her son's been kidnapped (as speculated based on that spoiler pic). Because Laurel is supposed to be so compassionate.

Even if Ollie* lied to BM, I find it hard to believe that BM wouldn't know that Ollie was still with Laurel when she slept with him (and I definitely think Ollie and Laurel were still together then).  Rich Oliver Queen was in the news all the time then and constantly hounded by the paps.  He would've been photographed with Laurel attending events, at the beach, or even just out and about the town.  Their pics would've been in the news all the time. Their break-up certainly would've been in the news as well.

(* I use "Ollie" to refer to pre-island Oliver, who I can't stand and who is virtually a completely different person from present day Oliver.)

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 5

Re-reading some of Wendy's remarks in post game interviews, this one sprung a thought:

Felicity’s father will eventually come into the picture, so how does his impending entrance complicate matters?

One of the ways we were most intrigued by with that storyline was with respect to her mother. What does Felicity learn about herself through this flash from the past, so to speak. What does her mother know? What does that dynamic look like? She was very young when he left and she doesn’t really remember -- she remembers the abandonment but she doesn’t know who he is aside from what her mother’s told her. There’s going to be a lot of emotional tension and some pretty big questions that she’s going to want to get answered.

From: http://www.etonline.com/tv/180483_arrow_boss_on_felicity_injury_and_alarming_flash_forward/

I'm now thinking Donna hid a whole lot about Papa Smoak from Felicity, and that maybe they'll link it to Oliver hiding the demon spawn. So maybe Donna is the person who's gonna ~understand~ Oliver's reasons.

That kinda makes me think episode 414 is when all of this happens. Especially if 414 was supposed to be directed by Antonio Negret in the first place -- it would've made sense to give him the reigns to an episode that's sort of a thematic sequel to 406.

I just can't figure out of the kid reveal to Felicity happens in 414 [how would Donna find out before anyone else?], or in 415, when he's kidnapped.

I dunno. "Sins of the Father" fits the Calculator being revealed as Felicity's father, but "Code of Silence" fits the LIES LIES LIES. And Donna is in both episodes. This is making me cranky that I can't figure out what happens when.

Edited by dtissagirl
  • Love 4

Still hoping she meant Donna. Anything with BMD is gross.

I thought Felicity may hallucinate as a side effect of something she was experimenting with, but it looks like she just does. Huh. Either way, glad Glothie is back.

Also I would punch Oliver in whatever area I could reach for being that cheerful and optimistic.

I refer to Laurel as an ADA because saying she is a DA is stupid. I got that the show doesn't care about the difference but it annoys me.

Re-reading some of Wendy's remarks in post game interviews, this one sprung a thought:

I'm now thinking Donna hid a whole lot about Papa Smoak from Felicity, and that maybe they'll link it to Oliver hiding the demon spawn. So maybe Donna is the person who's gonna ~understand~ Oliver's reasons.

That kinda makes me think episode 414 is when all of this happens. Especially if 414 was supposed to be directed by Antonio Negret in the first place -- it would've made sense to give him the reigns to an episode that's sort of a thematic sequel to 406.

I just can't figure out of the kid reveal to Felicity happens in 414 [how would Donna find out before anyone else?], or in 415, when he's kidnapped.

I dunno. "Sins of the Father" fits the Calculator being revealed as Felicity's father, but "Code of Silence" fits the LIES LIES LIES. And Donna is in both episodes. This is making me cranky that I can't figure out what happens when.

In a way, I think Donna makes the most sense. She has a mothers POV. And she was faced with a husband who wasn't the best father. She probably has some sympathy for her.

• Love 2

I thought Felicity may hallucinate as a side effect of something she was experimenting with, but it looks like she just does. Huh.

Also I would punch Oliver in whatever area I could reach for being that cheerful and optimistic.

I refer to Laurel as an ADA because saying she is a DA is stupid. I got that the show doesn't care about the difference but it annoys me.

She could be hallucinating because of whatever she's taking for her pain? 

I kind of like Oliver being upbeat. I think it has the potential to lead so some interesting emotional moments with how Felicity's feeling, and not really being able to deal with the realities of her injury together since he's kind of sugar coating the whole thing. Not that I think this show would give us those moments, LOL @ me for even considering it. 

Laurel could actually be the DA now - this show is terrible at explaining things like that. They've been pretty good about referring to her as ADA Lance, so either it was an oversight, or she actually is somehow the DA, possibly by virtue of everyone else in the office being dead. 

• Love 3

So we are now at I may never recover and That's the worst case scenario? Seems like a pretty big swerve from She'll never be able to walk again. Then again, not as big as Felicity being rushed into emergency surgery and her dropping innuendos.

• Love 2
(edited)

Is it me or did the Asian Promo already give away that it's going to be temporary paralysis (if anyone had a doubt)? Felicity uses terms like May and Worst Case in stead of Nerver or Permanent.

Granted in real life Doctors very rarely (in my experience) talk in absolutes. But this is TV they usually go for the drama over reality.

Oops jinx...just saw bijoux comment

Edited by Morrigan2575
  • Love 1

So we are now at I may never recover and That's the worst case scenario? Seems like a pretty big swerve from She'll never be able to walk again. Then again, not as big as Felicity being rushed into emergency surgery and her dropping innuendos.

IF the PT storyline ties into this, seems pretty essential to me that Felicity believes that it's not permanent, and there's something she can do to help herself. And that seems likely, considering they thought she initially had nerve damage, which then got moved to permanent spine damage. 

I didn't think the innuendo surgery was an emergency, was it?

Edited by apinknightmare

I don't think the Philippines promo for 411 indicates anything definitive about Felicity's paralysis being temporary or permanent.  I think the dialogue used ties back to what WM said in her ETonline interview: "What we want to explore with what Felicity’s going through is be as respectful as we can be with the reality of what it’s like to go through what she went through, to have a spinal cord injury and how do you move forward with your life emotionally, physically, on the team, off the team, and the way we have been exploring it on the page in the writers’ room is through the prism of Oliver and Felicity’s relationship and we want it to play really real. Oliver is very optimistic that we live in a world where The Flash exists, so things are possible, and for Felicity, she’s grounded and practical, and this is her new reality, so that’s really where we’re at. It’s less about the timeline and much more about finding the emotional reality of where they are."

So we see Felicity being guarded and Oliver being optimistic.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1

IF the PT storyline ties into this, seems pretty essential to me that Felicity believes that it's not permanent, and there's something she can do to help herself. And that seems likely, considering they thought she initially had nerve damage, which then got moved to permanent spine damage. 

I didn't think the innuendo surgery was an emergency, was it?

No, the innuendo surgery wasn't the emergency one but the first time we saw Felicity or having her mentioned after the emergency surgery was her in her hospital bed in the innuendo scene. So it was a pretty startling about turn considering we last saw her unconscious and her blood all over Oliver.

I think Oliver and Felicity's characters being flipped will be interesting actually. It'll be nice/different to see Oliver be the upbeat and optimistic one for a change. And I want to see Felicity's struggles because I think every normal person would struggle in this situation, no matter how positive they usually are. 

I don't think the Philippines promo for 411 indicates anything definitive about Felicity's paralysis being temporary or permanent.  

I have to disagree on this, the fact that they're writing in terms like Maybe and Worst Case is pretty much the writers giving themselves an obvious out to the situation.  

• Love 2

I have to disagree on this, the fact that they're writing in terms like Maybe and Worst Case is pretty much the writers giving themselves an obvious out to the situation.  

I agree with you. This kind of makes me wonder if PT is going to play into it at all, or if she'll just wind up with some kind of miracle recovery, since we were initially talking about nerve damage and the paralysis wasn't immediately clear. Donna was told it was permanent so we'd get the "shock" but now it's a maybe/worst case type thing. Maybe there will be a discussion about her diagnosis before this convo in the next ep? Who even knows. 

I agree with you. This kind of makes me wonder if PT is going to play into it at all, or if she'll just wind up with some kind of miracle recovery, since we were initially talking about nerve damage and the paralysis wasn't immediately clear. Donna was told it was permanent so we'd get the "shock" but now it's a maybe/worst case type thing. Maybe there will be a discussion about her diagnosis before this convo in the next ep? Who even knows. 

That would be lovely but I'm almost positive we won't see that.

(edited)

That thought occured to me as well.  We all locked into the "cure" being tied to PT fairly early on.  The main debates seemed to center around the length of the paralysis, how it would happen and who would create the cure.  However, the way Wendy talks about it this story seems more about a personal/relationship story then it does about a typical action/scif-fi comic book story.  

I'm now left wondering if the Hallucinations (assuming it's on going) is really more about Felicity overcoming this via mental/emotional strength rather than some last minute techno save?  I dread even stating this but I wonder if they're going to do some kind of story where her paralysis is partially mental and that's why Goth Felicity is the Hallucination?  I think the psychological stuff is just because of the hallucinations, and the fact that she seems to be standing at one point in the preview (which I'm guessing is a dream/hallucination).  

Edited by Morrigan2575

I saw a theory on tumblr about that box DD has and it could be something called a mother box and it pretty much can heal people and bunch of other stuff.So I think they might do that to get her out of a wheelchair instead of the invention that saves PT.

Yeah its weird that now apparently never walking again is the worst case scenario instead of being certain.WM was also vague about how permanent it would be,in some interviews she even answered questions that clearly say the injury has a timetable so they're not pretending its totally permanent like I thought they would in interviews.

I suppose the paralysis could still tie into the PT miracle discovery storyline in that Felicity has personally lived with paralysis and wants to come up with something to make people's lives easier. I was certain that a cure was going to play in to that story, but I'm not so sure anymore. 

Yeah its weird that now apparently never walking again is the worst case scenario instead of being certain.WM was also vague about how permanent it would be,in some interviews she even answered questions that clearly say the injury has a timetable so they're not pretending its totally permanent like I thought they would in interviews.

Yeah, I guess maybe they're trying to be sensitive in whatever way that the Arrow verse can manage it (which is not very). If (despite Donna's comments about THE doctor's diagnosis) it's allegedly something she can overcome through therapy and they're always super vague about what exactly is wrong with her, then maybe it's going to be something where she gradually regains feeling/use or...something.

There was this Wendy quote:

We saw what appeared to be Hacker Felicity in the trailer, though she’s standing. Could this be Earth-2 Felicity?

I love the idea of Earth-2 Felicity, but we on Arrow try to stay in this time and space. But yes, I definitely think there will be a time and place in the future where we could see Felicity stand.

From: http://www.ew.com/article/2016/01/20/arrow-felicity-paralyzed-wheelchair-oracle-spoilers

The question is Natalie Abrams being her usual clueless self, but that answer kinda tells me they will make ~*a moment*~ out of Felicity standing up again sometime in the future.

Edited by dtissagirl
  • Love 1

There was this Wendy quote:

The question is Natalie Abrams being her usual clueless self, but that answer kinda tells me they will make ~*a moment*~ out of Felicity standing up again sometime in the future.

I took that as Wendy being purposefully misleading in the answer and actually referring to the hallucination Goth Felicity standing instead, since it is technically "Felicity" standing. Kind of like how Marc tweeted that Felicity has a hallucination to divert the attention from canadagraphs' photos of her in a wheelchair, since she technically does have a hallucination, it's just not of her in a wheelchair.

That being said, WM is also dodging the idea of Felicity have permanent paralysis, so I guess that speaks for itself.

Edited by way2interested
  • Love 5

It's wrong to say this about any episode of Arrow nowadays but I'm looking forward to 411 because a lot of good stuff seem to be happening:

• Diggle/Andy flashbacks mean no regular flashbacks (yay!)
  • We get to see Felicity's PoV what with Felicity's inner psyche being personified as goth!Felicity
  • Goth!Felicity will most probably kick her ass into shape which I'd love to see (really hope this is the case)
  • Oliver being supportive of Felicity and being the positive one for a change. But when push comes to shove, I think he'll manage to give Felicity a Felicity speech to her. 
  • Felicity hurdling through difficulties and mental issues that come with paralysis and overcoming them
  • Felicity getting a codename

Lots to look forward to... That being said, if this is another episode that has Thea/Laurel as the focus I will be extremely ragey. NO. GET AWAY. YOU'VE HAD YOUR ARCS

• Love 15

I'm kinda expecting Oliver's optimism to irritate the fuck out of Felicity. But maybe I'm projecting, haha.

I think that's a fair assessment with their interactions in 4x06 in my mind.

I'm kinda expecting Oliver's optimism to irritate the fuck out of Felicity. But maybe I'm projecting, haha.

Wouldn't it irritate anyone? :p 

Me personally when I'm being doom and gloom and my partner is being sunny and optimistic, I usually want to bash his face in. But he does tend to have good intentions. He usually thinks that if he's being optimistic it'll help me to become less doom and gloom... which... okay, sometimes it does sometimes no. 

I'm guessing Oliver's the same. 

• Love 2

I love this idea (by which I mean I hate it) that strength of mind can overcome paralysis. I mean hey, Oliver's strength of mine not only allowed him to move the location of a stab wound (from his chest to his abdomen), it allowed him to survive that stab wound, which was all the way through his body, and being kicked off a mountain top. That mental strength also allowed him suddenly to become a super-duper expert swordsman.

Kind of sucks for all the weak-minded people who can't overcome terminal cancer diagnoses and paraplegia, but I guess that's their own fault.

Wouldn't it irritate anyone? :p 

Me personally when I'm being doom and gloom and my partner is being sunny and optimistic, I usually want to bash his face in. But he does tend to have good intentions. He usually thinks that if he's being optimistic it'll help me to become less doom and gloom... which... okay, sometimes it does sometimes no. 

I'm guessing Oliver's the same. 

In my dream scenario in which these hacks watch their own shows, Oliver's optimism would be practical, rather than just giving pep talks. Pep talks are good for Oliver because he mostly needs to learn shit and grow emotionally. Felicity has a practical problem. So I wish Oliver would take a trip to Lian Yu to collect some more magic herbs. Then he'd have someone track down Tatsu and ask her to come over with the magic penicilin tea. Then he would take Felicity to STAR Labs so Caitlin can do more testing, and also give Felicity a chance to sit down with Cisco and throw ideas around. But obviously none of that is ever gonna happen, so I basically want Felicity to yell at him a lot?

STOP BEING SO PEPPY, OLIVER, I'M TRYING TO WALLOW IN MY OWN MISERY HERE FOR ONCE. IT'S ALWAYS YOUR TURN TO WALLOW. LET ME WALLOW OLIVER. LET. ME WALLOW IN PEEEEAACE.

Aaaand scene.

• Love 14

But obviously none of that is ever gonna happen, so I basically want Felicity to yell at him a lot?

STOP BEING SO PEPPY, OLIVER, I'M TRYING TO WALLOW IN MY OWN MISERY HERE FOR ONCE. IT'S ALWAYS YOUR TURN TO WALLOW. LET ME WALLOW OLIVER. LET. ME WALLOW IN PEEEEAACE.

Aaaand scene.

"hello darkness my old friend..."

Ah I miss arrested development :p

• Love 5

On the Arrow front, when Nyssa returns on Feb. 3, the League member “is going to take on Malcolm in a really ambitious and full-scale way, and she’s going to be asking Oliver to do some pretty dark things,” previews EP Wendy Mericle, who adds that the topic of Nyssa’s onetime lover Sara’s recent resurrection won’t come up in the “gangbusters” episode — partly because “she is off time traveling on Legends [of Tomorrow]!”

No thanks.

• Love 6

I have never wanted a character dead more than I want Malcolm dead. So, I'm for that for sure, but I don't want to watch a whole story about it. 

I'm wondering if Oliver decides not to help, then Malcolm does some terrible shit that gets the grave dweller killed, and the "he" they're referring to in the FFs *is* Malcolm. Because at this point (and I know we've got an ep until this happens), I'm not sure why Oliver would help Nyssa? Malcolm's not a thorn in Oliver's side right now (and has been helpful on occasion), so...again, no thanks.

If we're in for filler eps focused on the League AGAIN I SAY NO THANKS.

Edited by apinknightmare
  • Love 7

The more I think about this, the more I'm just UGH.

I changed my mind. Nyssa needs to stay away. She brings the LOA and she gives Malcolm a story. I don't want it and I don't care. I don't want Oliver doing dark things for the LOA.

• Love 3

That's the same episode that debuts the Calculator and also features Roy's return (412), so I'm definitely going to watch.

-- 412 synopis: "ROY HARPER RETURNS; NYSSA MAKES HER MOVE -- The team faces off against a formidable villain nicknamed The Calculator (guest star Tom Amandes). Meanwhile, Nyssa (guest star Katrina Law) makes her move and Roy Harper (guest star Colton Haynes) returns to Star City. Kevin Fair directed the episode written by Speed Weed & Beth Schwartz (#412). Original airdate 2/3/2016."
Edited by tv echo
  • Love 2

I have a feeling its not even going to be a good episode for Nyssa. Nyssa probably makes her move and it causes trouble for everyone. The heart to heart with Laurel is probably Laurel taking her down and then Nyssa gets set free or just backs off. So she doesn't get justice for Sara or herself.

Nyssa is in 4x13 too right?

I have a feeling Felicity is going to be mostly separate from everyone well she deals with Calculator and her mother. I think this falls under be careful what you wish for.

Edited by Chaser
  • Love 2