Type keyword(s) to search

Spoiler Discussion Thread

Morrigan2575
  • Start Topic

Yeah, I'm not liking how sad they're making Felicity. It's like oh Team Arrow stuff is so sad and emotionally draining and then she goes to work and hey presto! Ray is there to be a reminder of how light she used to be. Um. No.

Sorry, I may have a little problem with Ray lol.

Yeah, I'm not liking how sad they're making Felicity. It's like oh Team Arrow stuff is so sad and emotionally draining and then she goes to work and hey presto! Ray is there to be a reminder of how light she used to be. Um. No.

Can I say you've taken the words from my brain? Hey presto indeed. But I'm totally glad she's getting some levity...from a friend.

TV Guide Magazine: Can we talk about how much fun Felicity and Brandon Routh's CEO Ray Palmer are together?

Rickards: Brandon is charming as hell! Their chemistry and compatibility is so different [from Felicity and Oliver's] and it's supercool. I think everyone in the writers' room is excited about it, too. They see it and they know it's good and that viewers are going to be mad at how much they like it!

Not selling me on it so far, sis.

• Love 9

They've killed Sara, what else is there to be sad and draining about if not Oliver?

Roy probably knows by now about killing the cops, I don't think Diggle's life will be in trouble this soon, and she's not close enough to Thea or Laurel to have a sad and draining scene with them.

What does EBR shooting a draining/sad scene in 311 have to do with Oliver?

Things that would make felicity sad, IMO:

Someone is dead or hurt

Team-Oliver-is-away lost big to a bad and people died

She thinks Oliver is dead/injured

Something with Ray (he wants to step things up, but she's emotionally attached to someone who has been gone for over a month and may never come home....)

The possibilities are endlessly depressing.

Yeah I kind of feel like the main reason they added him is because oh hey it's too depressing so let's add Ray to add comedic relief. Except hey guys, we actually don't enjoy watching characters we care about be sad. FOR MONTHS. With no end in sight. That's not how you end use light into a heavy show.
  • Love 1

What does EBR shooting a draining/sad scene in 311 have to do with Oliver?

Given the speculation that Oliver's gone for a bit, and the fact that it seems like SA has a little break in shooting, it might have something to do with Oliver in the sense that the leader of her team is gone and she's hopeless/upset about it, rather than something romantic.

Or maybe she's been having a bad week and her fave computer had a blue screen of death.

• Love 1

I was cool with Ray and a little flirtation between him and Felicity. But after watching Oliver meeting Mama Smoak and his stupid grin I don't want anything but that. He wanted to make such a good impression. Lol

Edited by 10Eleven12
  • Love 1

Can I say you've taken the words from my brain? Hey presto indeed. But I'm totally glad she's getting some levity...from a friend.

It's so obvious. Aside from my dislike of Ray and his creepiness (I'm sorry but I will never conveniently forget that he manipulated Felicity into working for him and then told her how she was feeling) I think this is why I'm having trouble with this storyline because what they're doing is so contrived. They might have well have written a checklist of how to force a new love interest into the show. I wouldn't mind if they were friends. I actually love that Felicity is getting the chance to shine professionally. I just hate that they're muddying everything by possibly making it romantic. 

TV Guide Magazine: Can we talk about how much fun Felicity and Brandon Routh's CEO Ray Palmer are together?

Rickards: Brandon is charming as hell! Their chemistry and compatibility is so different [from Felicity and Oliver's] and it's supercool. I think everyone in the writers' room is excited about it, too. They see it and they know it's good and that viewers are going to be mad at how much they like it!

Same. They are selling it hard but they'll never sell me on those two. I suppose this is EBR's job though. 

Yeah I kind of feel like the main reason they added him is because oh hey it's too depressing so let's add Ray to add comedic relief. Except hey guys, we actually don't enjoy watching characters we care about be sad. FOR MONTHS. With no end in sight. That's not how you end use light into a heavy show.

Exactly. Well, I think he was added to be a love interest but I don't like how heavy handed it all is. Like Oliver is full of man pain and drama but Ray is like this shiny comic relief for the show and Felicity. I'm just not interested in that. 

Edited by Guest

I wonder if this has to do with Felicity's sadness:

RICKARDS:  It’s more fun and light, and there’s not this heavy weight on it, all the time.  That’s really important for Felicity right now.  As far as she knows, he’s presenting himself as completely transparent, to a certain extent, and that’s what she’s looking for.

Read more at http://collider.com/emily-bett-rickards-arrow-season-3-interview/#3oivpYhyBEgmAQBE.99

Does she find out he's maybe a lying liar who lies? And that he's not all puppies and rainbows and is up to something that may or may not be bad?

I guess Ray is supposed to be Felicity's Felicity? Uh...okay, I'll hang in there.

Edited by apinknightmare
  • Love 1

I mean look I understand EBR is selling it hard, and she may well truly enjoy Ray's scenes but is there something like overselling? I like when Ray is being a dork. When Ray is being anything else...weh weh weeeeh.

I agree with @10Eleven12, when I see scenes with Oliver like the one with Mama Smoak, Ray who?

• Love 1

I mean look I understand EBR is selling it hard, and she may well truly enjoy Ray's scenes but is there something like overselling? I like when Ray is being a dork. When Ray is being anything else...weh weh weeeeh.

I agree with @10Eleven12, when I see scenes with Oliver like the one with Mama Smoak, Ray who?

I mean, I don't dislike the guy really, but after reading spoiler after spoiler all summer, it's just that the reality isn't meshing with the idea of Ray that I had in my head, so I'm having difficulty getting into it. I'm not writing them off, maybe by the time it gets more flirty I'll be more receptive.

I just really don't want Felicity to get all super sad and angsty to the point where she needs someone like Ray to keep things light. She's never had a problem with that, even when things were looking down. I get that upbeat people can't be upbeat all the time, but I don't want her to change in that respect, so I'm worried about it.

Edited by apinknightmare
  • Love 4

Maybe Emily is just being super careful, but she hasn't said anything yet that convinces me she and Ray will have more than a flirty friendship. I'm not opposed to them dating for a brief period, but I definitely would prefer flirty friendship.

I just feel like this tactic never, ever works. They may well have chemistry, but saying things about how viewers will feel about it is just not a good move. I never felt romantic chemistry between Felicity and Barry--still didn't last week on The Flash. Maybe I'll feel something with Felicity and Ray when their story takes that turn, but it's probably better to just let it play out than to make assumptions in advance of anything actually happening on screen.

• Love 5

You know "Felicity will be dating...Felicity" may well be an accurate way of looking at this situation. She's understandably very down as of late, so Ray allows her to think of other things, enjoy life again because the way things are going, they're suffocating. Kinda like what Felicity does for Oliver.

I can't wait to see her more happy again...but I can't help but think "but why this way?" I should stop whining but I almost feel like they should leave Ray in the friend zone. She has no one outside of the team.

Well anyway, it's meant to be a good thing in the end for Olicity, so we shall see. Hopefully I agree it's a good thing for Felicity.

• Love 1
Things that would make felicity sad, IMO:

Someone is dead or hurt

Team-Oliver-is-away lost big to a bad and people died

She thinks Oliver is dead/injured

Something with Ray (he wants to step things up, but she's emotionally attached to someone who has been gone for over a month and may never come home....)

She screwed up and someone got hurt.  

She failed to find the bad buy in time and someone got hurt

Diggle/Roy got hurt

She played bait/went in the field and got hurt.

Finds out Ray lied to her.  Her double life is taking a toll on her emotionally. etc

I just don't understand why everything about Felicity has to be reduced to about Oliver.  

• Love 1

You know there must be real development on the Ray and Felicity front if:

"Oh, their date," Rickards said. "Their date is in concealment of a work trip but I think it is accepted on the terms of testing the waters to a certain extent, because they still have to be a team after. It's really fun."

Gotta say this again, but I am so sure @Danny Franks predicted the "concealment of a work trip" as a date thing. That is so funny but scary at the same time.

The work trip's really not that surprising. It's a pretty common trope for office romances, or maybe I've just been reading, like...way too much fanfic.

Hopefully they're not forced to share a room/bed because the hotel messed up their reservations!

Edited by apinknightmare
  • Love 2

I'm still leaning towards they won't be that serious. It feels very much like a re-do of Felicity and Barry and that was so oversold as well.

It doesn't surprise me that the work-date is testing the waters, but that's in episode 7 and the recent interviews from BR and EBR seem to imply that nothing has happened yet. If they are just now making moves in that direction (ep11 and so forth), that doesn't leave a whole lot of time to have a relationship and then wrap it up. I still think the bulk of Ray's arc after the mid-season with be this secret project that Felicity works with him on.

I'm surprised. There must be good development for them in episode 5 and 6 to reach the point where they're testing the waters. I say this because right now, they're not even really friends. EBR and BR might just be mum because they don't want to spoil anything tbf. By episode 11, I imagine they'll actually be dating.

Edited by Limbo

Well, the Arrow writers know only one way to stall relationships they want to happen. They introduce third parties to make it happen. 

They wanted Oliver and Laurel to happen back in season 1 but didn't wanted to happen right away. Enter Tommy.

Olicity got really close in season 2 and they didn't wanted to happen yet…enter Sara.

Same with season 3 Olicity…enter Ray. 

I wish they will find another way to put the romantic relationships they want to happen on hold without a third party interference leading to unnecessary and horrible storylines. 

• Love 8

I just got my copy of next week's printed TV Guide Magazine in the mail - and they screwed up.  This Emily interview is printed next to the TV schedule for November 12th with the headline "Smoak 'Em If Ya Got 'Em!  Also, in the second sentence, while the online article reads "In this week's episode", the printed article reads "Tonight," - which is obviously incorrect.  

If I were a conspiracy theorist, and knowing of TV Guide's past biases, I'd speculate that the printing of this interview in next week's issue instead of this week's was a deliberate mistake - either to screw with Felicity fans or to get more people to watch the November 12th episode, which has the following descriptive blurb:  "A body is found in the gym, and Ted Grant becomes the chief suspect."  (So I'm guessing, lots of Laurel next week.)

• Love 2

Must not watch Team Arrow sneak peak!! Don't tempt me Cute, Smiley Oliver gif!!

Gah, I have to get through a whole day of work before I can get to this episode, and I'm already spoiled but not spoiled spoiled. Waking up to all this EBR Felicity/goodness. I Can't wait!!

• Love 1

I'm surprised. There must be good development for them in episode 5 and 6 to reach the point where they're testing the waters. I say this because right now, they're not even really friends. EBR and BR might just be mum because they don't want to spoil anything tbf. By episode 11, I imagine they'll actually be dating.

The way they're burning through the personal development, I almost expect they'll be breaking up by ep 11. Start dating in 309, 5-6 week time jump, Oliver is missing, Palmer realizes Felicity has feelings for another dude.

• Love 2

Either they burn through their relationship, or it lasts a good amount of time. Let's see, after 7 Ray has 10 episodes left. Plenty of time (like 10 weeks + the 5 week hiatus) to get to a point where they really date seriously, and for reasons yet unknown, decide to not pursue a relationship. I'm very curious how 3B will play out to be honest.

I'm intrigued by the idea that the 'date' is concealing a work trip,. I wonder what that's about.  Something to do with the secret project?

The way they're burning through the personal development, I almost expect they'll be breaking up by ep 11. Start dating in 309, 5-6 week time jump, Oliver is missing, Palmer realizes Felicity has feelings for another dude.

I like that timeline, especially Ray realizing Felicity's feelings are already claimed.

She screwed up and someone got hurt.  

She failed to find the bad buy in time and someone got hurt

Diggle/Roy got hurt

She played bait/went in the field and got hurt.

Finds out Ray lied to her.  Her double life is taking a toll on her emotionally. etc

I just don't understand why everything about Felicity has to be reduced to about Oliver.  

Because other than Laurel's stuff, everything about everyone on this show is reduced to being about Oliver.

She's had people lie to her, get hurt, and screwed up but none of those have led to a "draining" "sad moment" that wasn't about Oliver or with Oliver.

I'm intrigued by the idea that the 'date' is concealing a work trip,. I wonder what that's about.  Something to do with the secret project?

She said that their date was concealed in a work trip. So, I guess Ray takes her to another city or something, and they go to dinner together or he asks her to attend a function as his date. It's their way of going on a date without risking anything, since it's "for work."

Edited by apinknightmare

We're also assuming they will break up. It all depends on how long TPTB want to stall Olicity. Seeing Oliver all shiny and happy with Team Smoak makes me want Ray to go take long walk off a short pier. I don't see myself rooting for Raylicity long term, but I don't trust the writers (who have spectacularly failed this season so far on tone and pacing) to not keep BR on and sign him for next year. They keep saying powers will be kept on The Flash, but I don't doubt they'll change their minds in a heartbeat if it means they can play with more DC characters.

Edited by calliope1975
  • Love 5

We're also assuming they will break up. It all depends on how long TPTB want to stall Olicity.

This, we really don't know if/when they'll end. But I assume they will, and that Oliver will come to his senses eventually because otherwise the season would be a failure.

Haha yes an actual failure.

I wish they will find another way to put the romantic relationships they want to happen on hold without a third party interference leading to unnecessary and horrible storylines. 

Me too. Love triangles and third party love interests bore me so much because it's so obviously a delay tactic. Le sigh.

Same. I'm really surprised they're testing the waters in episode 7 actually. That feels too soon to me. I didn't want to say it because I feel like I do nothing but complain about Ray (lol sorry) but I've not even seen any indication that Felicity and Ray are friends yet. Guess we'll see the start of that tonight.

Edited by Guest

The idea that Ray would take Felicity on a work trip is enough of a leap for me.  She's tech, not his secretary, I hope  Any info she needs she can get sent to her.

Colleagues travel together all the time. I am not a secretary. I travel with colleagues. If her expertise is needed, she would come along.

However, it sounds like the "concealment" Emily is talking about is from her exterior perspective. Within the story, Felicity believes it's a work function, but Emily knows Ray really wants it to be a date.

• Love 4

I've gone on work trips too with colleagues.  I don't see how Felicity's expertise on-site would be needed.

However, it sounds like the "concealment" Emily is talking about is from her exterior perspective. Within the story, Felicity believes it's a work function, but Emily knows Ray really wants it to be a date.

Stalkery!  That makes sense though.  And Felicity is pretty naive.

Edited by statsgirl

I've gone on work trips too with colleagues.  I don't see how Felicity's expertise on-site would be needed.

Stalkery!  That makes sense though.  And Felicity is pretty naive.

How do you know? Do you know everything her job entails? Do you know what the trip is about?

Colleagues travel together all the time. I am not a secretary. I travel with colleagues. If her expertise is needed, she would come along.

Yuck. That only makes Ray even more manipulative and creepy. It's one thing if both of them are in on the act, but it's entirely another if it's Ray only and Felicity is made out to be the fool. I really hope this isn't what happens.

I'm sure a major company like QC has a lot of work functions and  I have no doubt that the higher-ups in each department attend those work functions. If Ray asked her to go with him to one of those events, I wouldn't expect Felicity to read much into. I don't see Felicity as naive, but she is new to that position and Ray knows that.

Felicity is in an executive position at QC, hence her having her own Executive Assistant. If there's a work function, I'd expect most of the executives to be on deck for it, that's what executives do: travel around, schmooze, do a powerpoint, and work their expense accounts. Heh.

Or maybe EBR knows Felicity wants it to be a date, too. Ray already has creepy tendencies, we don't need to make him any creepier, haha.

Edited by apinknightmare

Yuck. That only makes Ray even more manipulative and creepy. It's one thing if both of them are in on the act, but it's entirely another if it's Ray only and Felicity is made out to be the fool. I really hope this isn't what happens.

It sure does make him more manipulative and creepy. This is actually the first thing that has creeped me out. The rest was meh to me.

Well, Felicity is an expert in cyber security. If he is selecting vendors or considering further acquisitions in that tech sector, he would be interested in her expertise. Executives take their teams with them when they visit other corporations, sites, to major conferences, etc. There is absolutely nothing inherently odd about Ray having a member of his team along in a non-secretarial capacity.

Now, he may REALLY be wanting her with him to get alone time with her, which is incredibly gross, but he could just as easily be asking a man with that expertise to travel with him. It is perfectly normal.

Part of the confusion I have here is that it was originally reported in such a way that made it sound like basically a business dinner, and this sounds like it is an actual get on a QC jet and go somewhere thing.

I don't understand why people seem to think Felicity is naive. I haven't seen any evidence of it.

She thought Moira would tell Thea about who her father is, instead Moira went after Felicity herself.  She thought Oliver had a good shot at becoming CEO of QC because he had a speech about how much he loved the company even though he had signed it away to Isabel last season.