Type keyword(s) to search

Spoiler Discussion Thread

Morrigan2575
  • Start Topic

(edited)

They based all of this on the idea that the audience was going to care about Susan and Oliver's relationship with her which is baffling to me. She came in between Oliver's established relationships that the audience already cared about and in addition to that they haven't even showed her genuinely caring for him. Chase kidnapping or trying to turn someone of the old team against Oliver would have been a compelling story..at this point I only care about Susan leaving. I don't really care how.

Edited by Midnight Lullaby
  • Love 13

I don't understand why they didn't just Mary Sue her and make her into this intelligent, warm, wonderful woman that he goes nuts over in his attempt to move on from Felicity.

We'd still complain but it would make some sense as to why he's hung up on her and make him look like less of a moron. Instead they wrote this snivelling, witchy, vile cockroach of a woman and keep on selling it to us as the most epic romance ever!!!!!! I do not understand!!!!!!!

• Love 2

I agree with all of the posts I've been reading. If we were supposed to buy that Oliver and whats-her-face were all twu wuv 4eva, why didn't we see anything that even remotely pointed to that? I'll take it even further: if this was supposed to be a "real relationship," why did they not learn from their past mistakes and chem test the hell out of CP and SA before they hired her?? (I will never believe they did, because there's simply no *there* there.) And beyond that, if we're supposed to be rooting for Lil' Susie, why in the name of all that's holy have they made her seem so shady and underhanded this entire time??

As it is, who buys this is a "real relationship"? Who cares at all about the world's worst reporter? 

When a good number of fans are actively wishing that the villain kills her, one would think that would make it crystal clear that they've done an inexcusably terrible job with this "story" and "character." 

The idea, the very notion that Oliver would be so torn up over her abduction that it would be akin to torture is just so . . . not supported by anything we've seen. 

It's like we're dealing with 2 different shows: the one the writers/producers/showrunners (and Stephen) have in their heads, and the one that viewers actually see. 

They're telling us that we haven't seen what we've seen, and that we haven't seen the story they've been telling. It feels like they're gaslighting us. 

• Love 17
2 hours ago, BkWurm1 said:

A show can be forgiven for a lot of missteps in telling a story but being boring is not one of them.  

Yep. Oliver has been dumb as a stoned box of rocks before but at least you could see some life in his adversaries or "allies" like Helena, Slade, Malcolm, Cheesy Mc Gossip Al Ghul etc. What the writers thought they were going for and what actually appeared on screen didn't always match up but at least John Barrowman is hanging around devouring entire sets, let alone scenery (as he is currently doing to good affect on LOT).

With Susan, meh. Oliver just looks bored and yes for the love of god CHEM TESTS, this is making Tyler Ritter look good by comparison. Maybe they're hoping it's so bland that we sigh with relief when he and Tinah get together next season, even if the chemistry isn't great? That is if anyone is still tuning in after this snooze fest. A few dates is one thing but I just can't see another reason why they've chosen to hang their hat on this relationship this year, and no I don't think it's "because Prometheus manipulated him to" is a good answer.

I'm annoyed because Prometheus/Chase's game was such a good idea and they are ruining it making his plan revolve around characters no one cares about imo. Baby Canary betrayed them, but I don't really care, she was background noise. Felicity's Mayo boyfriend was killed but I can't even remember his full name at the moment and now the most annoying character of the year gets kidnapped. I understand they didn't want to kill or write off people from the core cast but it would have made the story so entertaining imo.

• Love 11

I think they have dug themselves into a hole.

'because Prometheus' doesn't excuse Oliver hypocritically chastising, berating and guilt tripping Thea, who was covering his arse.

'because Prometheus' doesn't excuse asking Felicity, his ex fiancé who's boyfriend he accidentally killed, who he let walk away, who he never apologised to for love advice with the woman who is a risk for exposing them all.

'because Prometheus' doesn't excuse the stupidity in dating Susan. In trusting her in the first place. 

If Susan does double cross him or not, it doesn't change his stupidity and lack of loyalty in starting things with her in the first place. Or the lack of respect he shows Felicity and Thea.

Even if they go with a 'gotcha' moment, Oliver still acted like a pig to both Thea and Felicity.

• Love 19
(edited)
On 3/2/2017 at 4:27 AM, MaisyDaisy said:

Even if they go with a 'gotcha' moment, Oliver still acted like a pig to both Thea and Felicity.

Yep. Even supposing they do go with a "twist," look at how many episodes of character assassination it took to get there. Regardless of what any possible twist could be, it will not explain away, excuse, or justify Oliver spending so much of this season becoming increasingly and thoroughly unlikable. 

If they go with a twist, especially after seeing the awful feedback from pretty much everyone, it will still have been at the expense of the show's main character - the "hero" whom myriad fans now actively dislike. If a twist comes at that big a price, the entire story was never even close to being worth it, in the first place.

Plus, to me, any twist would now seem like a cheap, last minute, Hail Mary, face-saving gesture because they finally realized just how spectacularly they've screwed up this season, instead of it seeming like the end result for which they'd been writing all this time.

Edited by weathered1
  • Love 1

I can't believe that after Oliver burned their relationship to the ground and killed her boyfriend, how could he possibly ask her to help him fix his relationship with his new girlfriend?

If the new spoiler is true that Susan is kidnapped to mentally torture Oliver, then it makes me even more ragey thinking that we might have to watch Oliver have a mental break down about Susan being missing with Felicity watching all of this and at the same time, Oliver having Felicity use all of her resources to help find his girlfriend for him (which then reminds me of how Felicity had to work alongside with the stupid baby mama to find his secret son after just finding out about him).  This is just cruel.  Felicity deserves so much better.

• Love 22
13 minutes ago, ComicFan777 said:

Oliver having Felicity use all of her resources to help find his girlfriend for him

Don't forget about that favor Felicity's gonna have to do for Helix in order to keep using Pandora. With the way this show is going that'll wind up happening because she needs info to find good 'ol Susie. 

• Love 5
(edited)
7 hours ago, Angel12d said:

You know, I could maybe understand Oliver championing the shady reporter and wanting to be with her if Prometheus had succeeded in turning everyone else against him. Like, if he'd lost his team/support network completely, I could see him grasping at something/someone because there was no one else. But as it stands now? It's OOC nonsense.

This is why I really didn't understand SA's comment. What has Prometheus done so far that HASN'T backfired? He got Diggle jailed but he's already out and no harm/no foul; Evelyn betrayed the team but no one seemed to care; Lance temporarily went away but is back stronger than ever; Black Siren only caused problems for half a second; impeachment didn't work; he tried to put a wedge between Felicity and Oliver by killing Billy but she immediately forgave him (and once again we got a mention of Billy in front of Felicity and she didn't even flinch). By this time last year Damian had seriously messed with him and physically harmed members of his team. So not only does the big bad seem completely ineffectual, his actions can in no way explain Oliver's current stupidity. 

SA also tried to reassure people in his FB Live that they have "a plan." I can't begin to imagine anything that will make this better in retrospect. 

Edited by Trisha
  • Love 9
(edited)

Yeah I don't really see how Prometheus is responsible for how Oliver is this season. He seems to be doing the opposite of what Prometheus intends. Like Prometheus tries to make him think he ruins lives and taints people with his darkness and Oliver goes out and gets new people to join the team and gets into a new relationship. If Prometheus was affecting him you'd think he would push people away and find it hard to trust. His behavior just doesn't fit the situation he's in rn. I get wanting him to  react differently this time around but he's not reacting like a human being would basically imo. 

Edited by tangerine95
  • Love 14

I had a thought that to be honest I'm scared to post cause I don't want to incite panic- but Im thinking Felicity turns to Helix for help with Adrian/Susan and that's the thing Gelix says they won't help with until she pays the piper.

• Love 5
6 minutes ago, LeighAn said:

I had a thought that to be honest I'm scared to post cause I don't want to incite panic- but Im thinking Felicity turns to Helix for help with Adrian/Susan and that's the thing Gelix says they won't help with until she pays the piper.

Yeah I think so. That seems to be the big story next episode, I don't see Felicity having some totally different goal, she and the rest of team arrow will probably be dragged into helping Susan. 

(edited)
2 hours ago, Trisha said:

This is why I really didn't understand SA's comment. What has Prometheus done so far that HASN'T backfired? He got Diggle jailed but he's already out and no harm/no foul; Evelyn betrayed the team but no one seemed to care; Lance temporarily went away but is back stronger than ever; Black Siren only caused problems for half a second; he tried to put a wedge between Felicity and Oliver by killing Billy but she immediately forgave him (and once again we got a mention of Billy in front of Felicity and she didn't even flinch).

My only guess is that it's going to be what the EP's have been saying all along - that Chasemetheus is a chess master, and all of this stuff is setup before he rips the rug out from under Oliver, and Oliver being in a good place right now is actually the point? It seems like Chasemetheus has gone to pretty great lengths to know his opponent - maybe we're supposed to believe that he knew Oliver would fight against everything Chasmetheus was telling him he was? He does seem to be counting on Oliver's "better" instincts at this point for whatever reason (not letting Chase take the fall for the cover up for Billy's murder, finding an 'honorable' way out of the impeachment proceedings, trusting Susan even though he shouldn't, etc.).

The chess master storyline working unfortunately hinges on Chasemetheus being oddly prescient, and able to accurately predict pretty much everyone's reaction to what he does, but I think that's what they're setting up - and that the stuff we've seen so far has actually gone according to plan and that the actions he's taken weren't to divide the team at the time he took them, but to divide them at a later date.

And maybe our initial read on his actions was wrong?

Like, maybe tricking Oliver into killing Billy wasn't actually a setup to get between Oliver & Felicity, and was intended all along for the cover-up/impeachment setup. He made sure Diggle got put in prison, but he also helped him get out with thanks to that conveniently obtained evidence from Helix/Pandora. Maybe Diggle's imprisonment was what planted the seed for Felicity's separation from Oliver and the team by introducing her to Helix, and Oliver's idiotic blind trust of Susan (Chase commented on not trusting her in front of Oliver, LOL) is set up for Felicity to get deeper in with Helix in order to help rescue her. But ultimately it could be for nothing since it seems like Chase might be manipulating Susan into thinking Oliver has betrayed her over some as-of-yet undetermined thing that JS mentioned in that interview in the Spoiler's Only thread. And Oliver's attempt to be good and trusting comes back to bite him, because she still has his secret, and he bent over backwards to make sure that her credibility got reinstated after the plagiarism fiasco. 

Maybe Quentin going to rehab was just setup to make sure Oliver had a friendly ear from Chase in the mayor's office while he was gone (did Chase push for or setup anything during Quentin's absence? I can't remember), or maybe it's a seed that was planted for payoff at a later date. I don't know why Chasemetheus would care about Curtis and Paul breaking up, but maybe that leads Curtis to do something stupid that's also supposed to pay off at a later date. 

Just some thoughts. 

#whydoikeepdoingthistomyself2k17

Edited by apinknightmare
  • Love 12
1 minute ago, Sunshine said:

I really want to know what Doris Chase thinks of all this (but not really). According to IMDB she's in 5.16. Will Oliver use her as a pawn? 

Probably, if he gets desperate enough to find his soulmate, SusieQ.

25 minutes ago, LeighAn said:

I actually am thinking it might be even worse. I think the thing that Felicity has to do in return for getting help for Susan/Chase will have Oliver chastising her like he did with Thea. She will get blasted for being human and not pure and perfect and always full of light.      

• Love 5
(edited)
15 minutes ago, apinknightmare said:

And maybe our initial read on his actions was wrong?

That could at least make his "game" line from the promo make more sense, since from a shallow perspective, he hasn't really been winning much at all, besides killing a bunch of people. Instead, all of Oliver's "wins" can then be completely turned on their heads and show that Prometheus has had the upper hand all along. Like, "ha! We freed Diggle from prison!" Yeah, but now Felicity is in bed with sketchy folk. "But we were able to save Susan!" Yeah, but she's probably going to betray you now. "But we have newbies!" Yeah, but one of them betrayed you, one of them is now going through a divorce that Prometheus orchestrated, one of them has a daughter out there somewhere that might come back, one of them is now gone (not part of the plan, but it's estrangement regardless), and one of them might be vulnerable to manipulation because she's new. "But we saved Oliver's administration!" Yeah, by throwing your other legacy under the bus and now Thea's gone.

Edited by way2interested
  • Love 6
(edited)
2 minutes ago, way2interested said:

Instead, all of Oliver's "wins" can then be completely turned on their heads and show that Prometheus has had the upper hand all along.

Yep, that's exactly what I was thinking.

Edited by apinknightmare
(edited)

This season is too complicated for me...  I am just confused at this point.

All these games and all these reasons and nobody knows why and Chase knows why and he saw it all coming and he is 10 steps ahead... Why does he want to torture Oliver? I don't get what the point is maybe because I am more concerned with when Oliver became an idiot of this proportion. I don't know if SA is happy with the way people are going after Oliver but maybe the writers should tell a better story so we get why Oliver is so hung up on Susan that he goes and asks his ex for help getting his new gf back. 

Also I like the theory that Felicity will help with Susan and while Oliver is busy with other things, she will be the one to lose herself without anyone worrying. That might be a price Oliver has to pay. 

Edited by Belinea
Just now, Belinea said:

Also I like the theory that Felicity will help with Susan and while Oliver is busy with other things, she will be the one to lose herself without anyone worrying. That might be a price Oliver has to pay. 

If Chase is in cahoots with the whole Helix thing that may have been part of the plan all along.

(edited)
12 minutes ago, MaisyDaisy said:

I actually am thinking it might be even worse. I think the thing that Felicity has to do in return for getting help for Susan/Chase will have Oliver chastising her like he did with Thea. She will get blasted for being human and not pure and perfect and always full of light.      

Sorry this is why I was scared to post my theory because I feel like it's going to snowball into worst case scenarios and I feel like more often then not what we spec doesn't end up as bad or as near as what we spec.

If Oliver goes to Felicity and asks her to use Pandora/Helix because he wants to save Susan so badly chances are he's not going to blast her about it because he got what he wanted. Susan safe/Adrain thwarted.

If Felicity uses Helix/Pandora of her own choice then maybe Oliver will cast judgement but again he would get what he wants and that's Susan back safely/Adrain thwarted.

My spec- which could totally be wrong- Felicity wants to save Susan stop Prometheus, goes to Helix who are ask to do some hard core crossing moral lines in return, she does it, keeps it secret from the team and everyone is so preoccupied with the whole Susan/Adrain mess anyway that they are just happy they saved the day. Diggle and Oliver sense something off with Felicity and query her about it but Felicity doesn't show her hand because she'll keep whatever Helix made her do from the team at least for one or two eps. 

Edited by LeighAn
  • Love 4

Oliver still doesn't know about Pandora, right? So far, it's only Rory, Thea and Dig by my count. So, going by that, Oliver can't ask her to use it because he doesn't know about it. 

• Love 1
1 minute ago, bijoux said:

Oliver still doesn't know about Pandora, right? So far, it's only Rory, Thea and Dig by my count. So, going by that, Oliver can't ask her to use it because he doesn't know about it. 

Yeah. I think that if Felicity goes to great lengths to get to Susie and agrees to do whatever for Helix to get to her (which, if Helix is a Chasemetheus plant, what they ask her to do could be interesting), I think she's probably ultimately driven by thinking it'll bring her one step closer to Prometheus.

Just now, bijoux said:

Yeah well It wasn't clear if Felicity told him about Oandora when she told him about the Collins Black mail plot and her conversation with Diggle but I'm leaning on she didn't.

Did she tell Diggle about Helix? Or just Pandora?

But at some point Oliver is suppose to find out and they have an "adult conversation" about it so I'm assuming it will come, but I think the writers will make Felicity carry a little guilt for whatever morally questionable thing they have her do in return for Pandora access. It creates more drama that way.

2 minutes ago, LeighAn said:

But at some point Oliver is suppose to find out and they have an "adult conversation"

Hopefully it won't be him telling her that she has to be better than them or that he is disappointed or something... 

Yeah, and tbh, while I do see the awfulness of Oliver asking Felicity to help, I can't completely hate it if it happens. Kind of like 415 in asking Felicity to help, he did ask her if she could while he was telling everyone else what to do, plus what else would happen? Wouldn't she just help anyway even if he didn't ask? Saving people is what they do, especially from their big bad. It's still part of the plot. Although if Susan is the catalyst for her sketchy work in Helix, it is pretty disappointing like how Billy's death is a catalyst for this arc in the first place.  

• Love 5

My other spec- seriously both of these could end up being wrong haha- is that maybe Helix want Felicity to do something as part of an initiation to test or prove her loyalty. And they do that by making her do something that goes against Team Arrow- like something that prevents Oliver from taking down Chase or finding Susan. But I'm less in love with that theory. 

My third probably wrong theory is that Felicity was inspired by Diggles talk and Olivers "optimism/mayoral majesty" and her infiltration of Helix is just a long con because she finally recognises the danger they pose by having the power they do and she's trying to kill the beast from the inside.

1 minute ago, apinknightmare said:

I don't think anyone who knows about Pandora is aware of Helix. I don't think she told Rory?

Rory was there when she met up with Kujo, so he is the most in the know.

Anyone have any ideas about how Chase could possibly make Susan feel like Oliver betrayed her? 

The only thing I can think of is (provided Helix is a Prometheus plant) that the favor they ask Felicity to do next ep winds up getting her into some kind of trouble, and Oliver's forced between saving Susan and saving Felicity - and he winds up saving Felicity and Chase makes Susan watch it or something. I'm trying to figure out scenarios that involve Russia or that whole thing coming around, and I'm coming up with a blank.

• Love 2
20 minutes ago, apinknightmare said:

I don't think anyone who knows about Pandora is aware of Helix. I don't think she told Rory?

She told Dig. She said they are a group of hackers that gave Pandora to her and he asked her if she is still in bed with those people..

• Love 2
6 minutes ago, apinknightmare said:

Anyone have any ideas about how Chase could possibly make Susan feel like Oliver betrayed her? 

The only thing I can think of is (provided Helix is a Prometheus plant) that the favor they ask Felicity to do next ep winds up getting her into some kind of trouble, and Oliver's forced between saving Susan and saving Felicity - and he winds up saving Felicity and Chase makes Susan watch it or something. I'm trying to figure out scenarios that involve Russia or that whole thing coming around, and I'm coming up with a blank.

All it takes if it involves Felicity is cluing Susan in that Felicity has been in on the secret from practically the beginning and is still working with Oliver, while he wouldn't admit being GA to Susan. We've been shown that she doesn't like Felicity at the party and that she flips easily on Oliver.

2 minutes ago, Midnight Lullaby said:

She told Dig. She said they are a group of hackers that gave Pandora to her and he asked her if she is still in bed with those people..

Thanks for the info. So many things go in one ear and out the other with me this year. 

• Love 2
7 minutes ago, apinknightmare said:

I want it!!!!

Plus it can help flip the switch for the Olicity rebuild.

Come on writers do us a solid.

• Love 1
1 minute ago, LeighAn said:

I want it!!!!

Plus it can help flip the switch for the Olicity rebuild.

Come on writers do us a solid.

LOL

I don't really think it's a likely option, it was just the only thing I could come up with. Anything to do with Russia seems like kind of a stretch (but possible, given the anvils!) because the betrayal action would've had to have happened in the past (unless he did something we didn't see in Russia in 12), when he didn't even know Susan. And she knows he was in the Bratva, so...if there was something personal in her past that could've been tied to them it seems like she would've been more hesitant to date a dude who was IN the Bratva? 

It seems like to me the easiest way to convince her of him betraying her is to see him doing it while she's in a desperate position (and it's super sick) - and that Helix plot point is in the next ep description, so I put 1+1 together and came up with what's probably 4, haha.

Yeah, I definitely think Chase/Prometheus is behind Helix. So he obviously knows Felicity is an integral part of the team and is therefore trying to distract her/draw her away from Oliver and the team?

Well didn't Oliver technically lie to Susan about not knowing who hacked her computer. So essentially he is still lying to her. So perhaps Adrian uses that.

And I am thinking helix is definitely working with Prometheus because without felicity hacking in to the NSA to save diggle which Adrian was around for then I doubt she would have met helix. So they're all connected and what they ask her to do is probably the worst part of what is to come for oliver. 

• Love 2
Just now, Cleanqueen said:

Well didn't Oliver technically lie to Susan about not knowing who hacked her computer. So essentially he is still lying to her. So perhaps Adrian uses that.

He may have initially denied it when he really didn't know, but she gave him credit for reaching out to who did it and making it right last night.

2 minutes ago, apinknightmare said:

He may have initially denied it when he really didn't know, but she gave him credit for reaching out to who did it and making it right last night.

yes and what would her reaction be if she found out it was his ex fiance and sister who were involved. 

1 hour ago, apinknightmare said:

Honestly I'm thinking that he might just egg her on about Oliver (he/his team almost ruined her career, what's to stop them from doing it again? She's only in this predicament because of him, He's not really doing good, he's a killer, he's hiding more from you, etc.) and prompt her to betray him rather than making her feel like he betrayed her. It could be kind of interesting since we never saw how he convinced Evelyn to betray the team, so this could be a chance to see something like that.

2 minutes ago, Cleanqueen said:

yes and what would her reaction be if she found out it was his ex fiance and sister who were involved. 

I just don't see why *who* did it would matter to her since she knows that Oliver made them undo it?

8 minutes ago, apinknightmare said:

I just don't see why *who* did it would matter to her since she knows that Oliver made them undo it?

I think it's important because it shows that his operation is just bigger than him. Also having his ex-fiance still by his side and maybe Adrian still proves to her that Oliver isn't over her and that Susan is just being used to get over her. 

• Love 1
(edited)

Originally I would've thought Susan would feel betrayed by Oliver if she found out he had something to do with her losing her job. She's very career orientated and was furious about that. But as they've made up and all is right again, I'm wondering if it is gonna be something as simple and lame as she finds out Oliver still works with his ex fiancé or something related to their romantic relationship. So if Oliver does save Felicity while Susan is still missing and Prometheus tells Susan, she could feel betrayed by that.

But then that theory rests on the idea that they'd remember Olicity were a thing and I think everyone has forgotten, Oliver included. So IDK.

Edited by Angel12d
  • Love 2
5 minutes ago, Cleanqueen said:

I think it's important because it shows that his operation is just bigger than him. Also having his ex-fiance still by his side and maybe Adrian still proves to her that Oliver isn't over her and that Susan is just being used to get over her. 

Wouldn't she know that his operation is bigger than him by the fact that someone associated with him hacked her computer? 

I guess having Felicity still around could be used to work Susan up a bit since she seems super possessive, but I'm not sure how Adrian could prove that Oliver isn't over her given the way he's been acting lately, haha.

• Love 1