Type keyword(s) to search

Spoiler Discussion Thread

Morrigan2575
  • Start Topic

Transcription of quotes from "A Sneak Peek at Arrow S5" video that's posted on page 44 of Spoilers thread (if anyone can figure out the unintelligible words, please post your best guess, thx)...

-- WM: "In season 5 we're talking a lot about what was Oliver like in season 1. As we remember from the pilot, he was a killer, he came back, he was very much suffering from what had happened the previous five years on the island, and he was really grappling with the moral dilemma of whether or not he really could be judge, jury and executioner. And he was also dealing with the legacy left by his father, his goal being to try to right those wrongs that Robert Queen had committed in Starling City... What we're really trying to do is close that chapter, close that five-season story and have Oliver be reflecting from the vantage point now, having done and been the vigilante - what kind of legacy is he going to be leaving now?"

-- Brian Ford Sullivan: "Like, he's not a very good mayor. He just sort of uses it as a way to get intel that he can use as Green Arrow. But as we come to see, there's other things he can do as the Mayor that he can't do as Green Arrow."

-- WM: "Laurel's death was a reminder that this is a lifestyle where people can die. And he is older now, he's a little bit wiser, and he's thinking, in the long term sorta way, is this the best way to get justice for my city?"

-- Brian Ford Sullivan: "Diggle probably has the biggest change where he's decided to reenlist in the military. And we're going to spend some time with him actually out there on his own and in the military, away from his family, away from his child. But it's all about him overcoming his grief over killing Andy. It's sort of him, like there's - he deserves to be sort of on the outs, doesn't deserve happiness he should have."

-- Brian Ford Sullivan: "Thea is one who - she sort of [unintelligible word] herself. She held an arrow to Damien Darhk's daughter's neck. You know, she becomes this horrible person in her mind, so she wants something more normal so she'll become part of the mayoral storyline and sort of the life for herself that's not in costume."

-- WM: "And then the question everyone's been waiting for - Olicity. Where are they? What are they doing? Uh, we left them in a really ambiguous place at the end of season 4. And I will just tell you, they are going to be in a very ambiguous place similarly to where we left them."

-- WM: "Last season we went really big, as everyone knows who saw it. It was a pretty high casualty count by the end of, um, 423... And Felicity is aware that even though she did the best that she could do under those circumstances, she still made the decision to pull the trigger and drop that bomb."

-- Brian Ford Sullivan: "We have a [unintelligible word] named Ragman in Rory Regan, who's going to be one of the recruits on the team. And we're going to discover he was in Havenrock and he was the lone survivor, basically because he has mystical powers - the rags that sort of allow him to do the fancy things he can do... He'll come back to Star City looking for who caused that."

-- WM: "Rick Gonzalez has been cast as Wild Dog. He just brings a completely different energy and excitement to the role." Brian Ford Sullivan: "Wild Dog is very - as his name would suggest - very opinionated and very, sort of off the leash in what he wants to do and thinks he knows best, and he's the first one to do things even though it might not be the right decision."

-- WM: "Um, Evelyn we saw last year - we introduced her in episode 419... She has come back and joined the team, really as a way to honor her own family and her own legacy, um, with her parents having been killed by Damien Darhk. And she's, um, the greenest of the fighters... Well, she's maybe a little bit better than Curtis, who's the greenest, I think, of all of them in terms of actual hand-to-hand combat."

-- Per WM, Curtis is "the greenest, I think, of all of them in terms of actual hand-to-hand combat."
-- Brian Ford Sullivan: "[Curtis will] need a way to help out, maybe not as a physical fighter, but as sort of contributing to the team using his brain."

-- WM: "Even though Prometheus is a known foe to Green Arrow, what we really want to do this year is have someone who is a dark mirror to Oliver." Brian Ford Sullivan: "Prometheus's origins are to things back to what Oliver did when he first came back [from] the island in season 1 and sort of the triple down effect of what Oliver was doing, um, as a killer, as a vigilante - all these dark things he did that actually produced this thing out there that is now sort of coming back to seek revenge."

-- WM: "We're going back to Russia. We're actually going to see how Oliver became a member of the Bratva and how he got that tattoo." Brian Ford Sullivan: "We'll pick up, uh, in the premiere where he's in Russia, and he's in a bad spot, and the Bratva comes to his aid and sort of starts to show him the ways of, you know, being part of a team, you know, and pledging his allegiance to the Bratva way of life, you know, and what that means in terms of him ultimately becoming the Hood and coming back to Star City."

-- Brian Ford Sullivan: "Our show, for all its [unintelligible word], is still an emotional journey of Oliver Queen and sort of this guy who went through this traumatic event and how he sort of fixed his life. Can he do the right thing? Can he find a way through this darkness? And, um, the darkness is going to fight back in a big way this year."

-- WM: "In keeping with getting back to our roots, we're gonna make Green Arrow even more badass than he already is."

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1
10 minutes ago, tv echo said:

-- Brian Ford Sullivan: "Like, he's not a very good mayor. He just sort of uses it as a way to get intel that he can use as Green Arrow. But as we come to see, there's other things he can do as the Mayor that he can't do as Green Arrow."

-- WM: "We're going back to Russia. We're actually going to see how Oliver became a member of the Bratva and how he got that tattoo." Brian Ford Sullivan: "We'll pick up, uh, in the premiere where he's in Russia, and he's in a bad spot, and the Bratva comes to his aid and sort of starts to show him the ways of, you know, being part of a team, you know, and pledging his allegiance to the Bratva way of life, you know, and what that means in terms of him ultimately becoming the Hood and coming back to Star City."

I can accept the fact that Oliver is struggling with his mayoral role what with pulling double duty. Even though I saw that show in S2 already. But he most definitely did not run for this and I find this reasoning retconning BS.

I find it funny that he learns how to be part of a team in the Bratva while you have Anatoly telling him he can only rely on himself. Top notch logic. Also, I watched Oliver with Shado and Slade, then with Sara and Slade, and then with Maseo and Tatsu. He learned how to be a team player by that point. If anything, it should be undermined in the flashbacks leading to him trying to lone wolf it upon coming back to SC.

All this explaining is making things more confounding. I think I should probably stop following this stuff at some point. Preferably soon.

• Love 12

At this point I am actually somewhat sad. At first I was annoyed and a little mad but as time goes by and more stuff comes out, I might have to accept that this show just isn't the show that I enjoyed watching (most of the time) anymore. 

It wants to attract new people with stuff that I don't care about. (Or storylines that make no sense) It might want to attract viewers that probably will never ever be on board with this version of GA but it seemingly doesn't want to attract viewers anymore who were hoping for a solid show focusing on what drew me in in the first place: Oliver, Diggle and Felicity. 

• Love 10

Yikes at the thought of them introducing a new LI for Oliver. I don't think it's anything concrete based off of the sides but Oliver getting with someone on the Team is gross to me. It sounds like another Felicity watches Oliver and Sara situation. No no no. Then there is the implication for Olicity. Don't want that either. Then the Team impacted, it's another mask, which gets a story then one of the regulars don't.

Lots of worst cases for me. I'll wait for proof before I give then a lot of weight but ugh. 

• Love 13

Yeah I think what bothers me most is if Oliver's LI is on the team.That's right in front of Felicity and in the bunker where they work together. Its just gross and might be a dealbreaker for me if they go there and it's a repeat of Sara and Oliver in any way. I also can't believe they're adding so many masks like this is ridiculous even for them. 

• Love 5

What if it's not another mask nor a fighter but rather someone in the Mayor office? Don't they change stuff for the sides? At least I hope so. I didn't consider the implications of the LI being on the team before, but I agree. That would be... ugh.

I love how since this thing has come up, no one's talking about the reporter, who was never confirmed to be a love interest, being Oliver's love interest anymore.

Idk, sounds more like a Sara/Nyssa type scenario to me, and even that can't be proven by sides that the public was never ever supposed to see.  Maybe it's for Oliver, maybe it's not, but this seems like extreme jumping the gun to me.

• Love 8

I liked the idea of it being for Wild Dog. It parallels Dig getting together with another fighter and Dig and Wild Dog are supposed to have a connection. And maybe it sets up Wild Dogs exit at the end of season, he leaves to join her someone somewhere, spreading Oliver's influence. 

• Love 2
7 minutes ago, looptab said:

What if it's not another mask nor a fighter but rather someone in the Mayor office? Don't they change stuff for the sides? At least I hope so. I didn't consider the implications of the LI being on the team before, but I agree. That would be... ugh.

Why have her fighting in the sides then? That seems too specific. I can see the LI thing going any which way, but I would think the fighting is there for a purpose. Not one I want, mind, but still.

I'm still skeptical what I saw posted for the script is real. The writing's so bad. But if so explains a lot about all the bad Olicity writing for past 2 years. Oliver dating again, yeah I can see it. He was happy to be in relationship with LL, no doubt told her he loved her and cheated on her, so why not start right back in with the ladies now. Saying he loved FS should't stop him, its in his nature. But I'll be surprised if I see any sexual tension or chemistry with Tina. The most chemistry SA ever had was with Caity/Sara. So guess I'll just have to see if this scene is real and how it plays out.

6 minutes ago, bijoux said:

Why have her fighting in the sides then? That seems too specific. I can see the LI thing going any which way, but I would think the fighting is there for a purpose. Not one I want, mind, but still.

No idea, just reaching, haha.

• Love 1
4 minutes ago, Kobold said:

I'm still skeptical what I saw posted for the script is real. The writing's so bad. But if so explains a lot about all the bad Olicity writing for past 2 years. Oliver dating again, yeah I can see it. He was happy to be in relationship with LL, no doubt told her he loved her and cheated on her, so why not start right back in with the ladies now. Saying he loved FS should't stop him, its in his nature. But I'll be surprised if I see any sexual tension or chemistry with Tina. The most chemistry SA ever had was with Caity/Sara. So guess I'll just have to see if this scene is real and how it plays out.

When? 

• Love 8

I saw on Twitter that this role is for a "former Marine turned kick boxer." If true this character is meant to be a fighter. Whether they are meant to be Oliver's LI or not I don't know.  Could be for Vigilante. I think possible regular might rule out flashbacks.  If for Oliver, does this eliminate Susan Williams, reporter, as love interest or will we get multiple like S1?

15 minutes ago, bijoux said:

When? 

Oliver does what he wants to do. Always has. Wasn't forced to be in relationship with LL. Wasn't forced to cheat with Sara. Wasn't forced to  lie to FS. Wasn't forced to be a vigilante. That's what he wanted to do, what he did and always will.

16 minutes ago, bijoux said:

When? 

The OP didn't write happy IN a relationship with her, but he was happy to be in one and still screw around on the side-so, that isn't incorrect, haha. 

But the OP seems to want post-island Oliver to go back to being like pre-island Oliver, and no thanks! Being able to be monogamous is actual character growth for this dude. 

• Love 15

They can be as fake as they like, but if they include fighting, I'm assuming that's a skill the actress is expected to successfully portray on screen. 

I mean, I would actually love something like what they did with Earth2 Caitlin and Ronnie from what I got, a Bonnie and Clyde deal with the baddies. I was sort of hoping for something of that ilk with DD and Mrs Evil, but the fizzled like so much else.

3 minutes ago, apinknightmare said:

The OP didn't write happy IN a relationship with her, but he was happy to be in one and still screw around on the side-so, that isn't incorrect, haha. 

But the OP seems to want post-island Oliver to go back to being like pre-island Oliver, and no thanks! Being able to be monogamous is actual character growth for this dude. 

Fair enough. Although from where I'm sitting, the point of the story is supposed to be that Oliver came back from the island a completely different beast than he was because of it. I could be wrong.

• Love 2

I mentioned it on Twitter, but really, the most interesting thing about these sides for me is they're searching worldwide. I cannot remember Arrow EVER doing that. Rapaport really really loves to cast people he knows, and cast them privately directly through agencies instead of opening to subscription sites.

Why are they searching worldwide? Did they try the usual channels and came up empty? Is this an attempt to do "diverse" casting? I don't know WHY, and it's bugging me. Heh.

Edited by dtissagirl
  • Love 8
2 minutes ago, bijoux said:

Fair enough. Although from where I'm sitting, the point of the story is supposed to be that Oliver came back from the island a completely different beast than he was because of it. I could be wrong.

No, you're right. I don't really understand why anyone would want him to regress personally. Treating women they way old Oliver did makes him a piece of shit-mask or not, and now that he's obviously gotten past that, not sure why he'd go back. 

• Love 14
7 minutes ago, apinknightmare said:

Some things I don't care about pre-island - like him being monogamous or not. But other things like having a meaningful purpose in life ( for ex doing something good for others like helping clean up corruption in his city), I do want to see him change from his pre-island rich party boy empty life.  I see Oliver having different dimensions, and not that he's just all black and white one big package deal. I want some things different, other things I'm indifferent about. But might be some pre-island stuff I liked just can't think of it right now. I want him to be a hero but don't equate that with monogamy/his relationship, like there have been men who did great things in history but were not good husband material, so nah don't care about his monogamy character growth.

Ignoring all the potential love interest crap, I hope this person is not yet another team member. ENOUGH ALREADY! It was overcrowded two 'heroes' ago.

10 minutes ago, Belinea said:

Why is he bothering to comment on it? Are people blowing up his twitter, or what?

Considering the last time a scene like that happened with Oliver and another woman ratings took a nose dive, maybe he wanted to avoid some speculation. 

I can hope right? 

6 minutes ago, Kobold said:

Some things I don't care about pre-island - like him being monogamous or not. But other things like having a meaningful purpose in life ( for ex doing something good for others like helping clean up corruption in his city), I do want to see him change from his pre-island rich party boy empty life.  I see Oliver having different dimensions, and not that he's just all black and white one big package deal. I want some things different, other things I'm indifferent about. But might be some pre-island stuff I liked just can't think of it right now. I want him to be a hero but don't equate that with monogamy/his relationship, like there have been men who did great things in history but were not good husband material, so nah don't care about his monogamy character growth.

But the fact remains that the show chose to use his romantic relationships to demonstrate his personal growth. Regardless of what I think of his post-island partners, he's cheated on zero of them. Considering Ollie's history, this is a conscious choice.

• Love 17
9 minutes ago, looptab said:

Some times I feel sorry for Marc when stuff like that happens. Then I remember season 3 and the BMD and all my compassion goes out the window. I'm a bad person.

About me. Though I find it really embarrassing that he felt the need to tweet about writing fake sides. The amount of tweets he must have received - enough to respond - makes me cringe. Yikes!

Edited by Guest

Well, is he saying the pages are fake? He could be just saying that they write fake pages in general. That being said if they write pages that they assume are being leaked why not write some that aren't harmful to your twitter account. 

I have a feeling that most of it will be somewhat accurate but we will see once they cast someone because that role should be more than a one episode kind of deal.

But he tweeted that after people were pestering him about the leaked pics of her on the wheelchair..

Anyway I'm not saying he is lying to be clear, I'm just saying I don't have undying faith in him LOL. So his tweet doesn't make me think they don't want to cast a LI for Oliver, or they want to. It doesn't change anything for me.

• Love 1

I think Oliver only cheated on Laurel? I mean she is the only GF pre-island we saw? The others he was cheating with. He wasn't sleeping with multiple women on the island at once (at all?) either. 

19 minutes ago, bijoux said:

But the fact remains that the show chose to use his romantic relationships to demonstrate his personal growth. Regardless of what I think of his post-island partners, he's cheated on zero of them. Considering Ollie's history, this is a conscious choice.

Yeah MG brought up Felicity would be involved in a vision. He was talking about Goth Felicity to throw off the spoilers. The casting slides are rarely a part of the episode so they are fake in that aspect. But the casting will be true. I still think we are going to get a Season 1 Oliver that our season 5 Oliver has to fight. And this Tina might be a part of that.

8 minutes ago, Midnight Lullaby said:

I still remember MG tweeting something to make people think the leaked pics of Felicity in a wheelchair were fake or not what they appeared to be. And they totally were what everyone thought they were. So I don't know how much I believe anything he says LOL

Edited by tarotx
  • Love 2
6 minutes ago, Midnight Lullaby said:

I still remember MG tweeting something to make people think the leaked pics of Felicity in a wheelchair were fake or not what they appeared to be. And they totally were what everyone thought they were. So I don't know how much I believe anything he says LOL

He only said that those were fake scenes, not that Oliver wasn't getting a love interest. So there isn't a reason NOT to believe him, because he didn't deny the thing that people were actually worrying about, haha. 

• Love 1
Just now, apinknightmare said:

He only said that those were fake scenes, not that Oliver wasn't getting a love interest. So there isn't a reason NOT to believe him, because he didn't deny the thing that people were actually worrying about, haha. 

Yup. Pretty much that. Lawyer talk..never trust a lawyer hahaha

• Love 4
15 minutes ago, bijoux said:

I imagine some viewers do consider his lying and cheating on women to be important parts of the story. Others like me don't really care if he regresses or fails to progress in that area. (Anyway, dating someone else or dating several someones won't be regression on his monogamy efforts if there's been no promises made and he's not with FS now) But main thing is that won't negate his growth in the area of working for a cause greater than himself and being a hero in that way,which is what I care about watching so I'm fine with him and FS dating others. But anyway does sound like all that Tina crap was fake.

The fake sides could mean anything really.

1) Oliver gets a new love interest. Makes sense, IMO. Could be why they threw a new dick at Felicity first...to pave the way for Oliver moving on, so it doesn't look bad. Also it stalls O/F for a while, which is what they wanted.

2) It's to show chemistry with literally anyone on the show, not just Oliver specifically. For all we know, this could be for Wild Dog or Diggle. IDK. 

3) To test chemistry just in case they want to go the LI route but that might change along the way. They've changed plans before. So who knows? 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Edited by Guest

If you consider Oliver only a mask and not a man than lying and cheating that make a man, a person, not a good one don't matter. I think he is flesh and blood and it's not a real hero's journey if he doesn't end up being a better human being in general, not only succeeding in saving the city. That's what I thought superhero's shows/movies try to teach as a message but who knows, maybe I got that part wrong LOL.

2 minutes ago, Velocity23 said:

CszqclAXEAAyhq_.jpg

hmmm i dont see him referncing the pics regarding the wheelchair. This was regarding Felicity getting a codename.

It was in response to people tweeting him after the pap posted the pics of Felicity on the wheelchair. Obviously right now we can say it was about Goth Felicity but at the time it was quite obviously a way to calm people down..it worked too because everyone left him alone and started questioning if the pics were real.

• Love 4
13 minutes ago, Kobold said:

I imagine some viewers do consider his lying and cheating on women to be important parts of the story. Others like me don't really care if he regresses or fails to progress in that area. (Anyway, dating someone else or dating several someones won't be regression on his monogamy efforts if there's been no promises made and he's not with FS now) But main thing is that won't negate his growth in the area of working for a cause greater than himself and being a hero in that way,which is what I care about watching so I'm fine with him and FS dating others. But anyway does sound like all that Tina crap was fake.

Fair enough. But I still think you'd need something for Oliver, not just the guy under the hood. It could have been his relationship with a parent, a sibling, a child... Even if it wasn't romantic, to have the story be effective, you need the person connected to other people. They just chose to focus on the romantic for a good deal.

Is it possible for Oliver to date other people, be it this new character or someone else? Of course. It's just not entertaining to me personally, that's all.

• Love 9

Lack of chemistry aside. All of these spoilers actually make me miss LL a little bit. I liked her in s1 and always hoped they could get back to that. I was invested in her character and her character journey. Now I'm stuck with a group of random newbies and LIs - frankly I find I don't care. Grey's Anatomy did this and that was when I walked away. I'm prepping my boots for a similar scenario if Arrow keeps on this spoiler trajectory. 

Bring it back to basics to me means bringing it back to the original concepts and charcaters. Give me OTA, characters I care about and good action. They seem to be failing on 3 out of 3. Of course it's hard to go back to basics when the majority of your former characters are in the graveyard or traveling thru time. I don't think this show ever got over the loss of Moira and Tommy.

Now it seems LL may be the newest creativity crater. Unlike MQ & TM or even Roy,  who brought a lot while they were alive - LL didn't bring much while she was alive however now her legacy will haunt the show. At least when she was alive I could ignore her. Now they have multipled her in a way that seems unavoidable.

• Love 4
3 hours ago, dtissagirl said:

This kind of casting side that is written outside of actual script is always like this. No kind of creativeness or talent goes into them.

You deeply wound me. Deeply.  

I'm not sure about Arrow, but in some cases, casting sides aren't even written by the main writing staff; they're farmed out to screenwriters who are either between gigs or who are now doing script editing/treatment editing in between the occasional contract script.  The screenwriter gets an email saying that they need X and Y from the character and writes to that.  So it's not even so much trying to be deliberately misleading as that the person writing the sides has no clue about what will actually be happening on the show.

• Love 10
27 minutes ago, Angel12d said:

The fake sides could mean anything really.

1) Oliver gets a new love interest. Makes sense, IMO. Could be why they threw a new dick at Felicity first...to pave the way for Oliver moving on, so it doesn't look bad. Also it stalls O/F for a while, which is what they wanted.

2) It's to show chemistry with literally anyone on the show, not just Oliver specifically. For all we know, this could be for Wild Dog or Diggle. IDK. 

3) To test chemistry just in case they want to go the LI route but that might change along the way. They've changed plans before. So who knows? 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I would be more okay with Oliver getting a Temp in 5A then in 5B. That makes more sense to me. Felicity starts dating, Oliver starts dating then they figure out their mess. Oliver getting a LI in 5B just doesn't work as well IMO. That's Olicity being in close proximity for months and with clarity (5x05) and Oliver moving on a super long time later (5x11-5x13).  It gives me the impression that there aren't many positive Olicity interactions between the episodes if Oliver decides to move on.

• Love 7
11 minutes ago, quarks said:

You deeply wound me. Deeply. 

I'm not sure about Arrow, but in some cases, casting sides aren't even written by the main writing staff; they're farmed out to screenwriters who are either between gigs or who are now doing script editing/treatment editing in between the occasional contract script.

LOL.

So many indies have casting directors writing sides themselves, I imagine since Rapaport's office is at Berlanti Prod, he has is SUPER DUPER EASY in who's writing and/or who's proofing sides.