Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E17: Enter Sandman

thewhiteowl

Only this show could make a bright, sunny day and an idyllic setting be quite so creepy.

Haven't they used that house where the wedding was going to be before? Was that maybe the inn the UFO guy's mother ran?

And I may have been watching too much Once Upon a Time, but when Nathan was leaning over comatose Audrey, I found myself thinking, "Have you tried true love's kiss?"

• Love 1

Felt like a return to form to me - certainly getting there - won't be what it should be until Duke's back but....

A good trouble (well acted - bravo 'Sandman' actor. In fact, good performances all round - everyone wanting to deliver for their friend/director must have brought an added element I'm sure); a return, at last, to the prettiness of the true Haven setting (albeit necessarily dreamlike and sunshine filtered) that has always made it different from the look of so many other shows and has been a large part of its appeal; Audrey looking lovely but also getting her groove back; a Nathan/Audrey montage; the return of Seth and the new partnership with Duke (they riff well together - it works. Anyone else think the man who can remove the darkness in North Carolina might be William Shatner?); and Duke *finally* becoming proactive....Plenty to enjoy and I did. 

Edited by Roselle

When you it that way, Roselle, all that was true. And yet I was really bored. Maybe it was because the plot was basically stalled.

Hmmm - yeah, that has been a real problem but I sense movement at least. Duke & Seth are going to come at it from one direction (along with the unknown other), Audrey and her mother are on the same page...the writers have to build the momentum from here on in (damn! I find it hard to know what tense to write about the writing/writers in, since it's already over for them but not for us!) - *fingers crossed* we just have to hope they do better than in some previous efforts.

Oh...ugh. Audrey as the pretty princess Sandman wants to marry. Of course, OF COURSE.

The scenery was stunning and ER looked gorgeous, but if I never again see Nathan shove a gun in a person's face and threaten them in order to save Audrey, I'll be thrilled. I like Charlotte, but her romance with Dwight seems a bit shoe-horned in.

Overall, it would have been a fine episode in S3, but as the buildup to the finale, it was so lacking.

Edited by BlackberryJam
  • Love 1

Number One problem for me with Haven - which I guess I can admit now that we are almost to the end - I find Nathan totally sexually and romantically boring. I find the Nathan/Audrey relationship uninteresting. Makes the heavy true love emphasis of the end of the show tedious (tho' not unexpected). I could usually count on large doses of Duke to counteract the True love induced coma. (Dream Sandman is more exciting to me than Nathan)

The split story telling with little dabs of Duke - not enough. I was engaged in the Seth/Duke storyline - the 2.5 minutes I got of it. Where are Vince and Dave my other reasons for watching the show? Since episode one it has always been the "secondary" characters that kept me coming back. I am hanging in there after the investment of time in the show but I find it hard slogging.

With so few episodes, this felt like filler.

• Love 7

You and I seem like we're on the same page about not finding Nathan/Audrey pairing interesting pita. They just seem like really good friends to me.

I really liked the Duke and Seth parts.

And the actor that played the Sandman did such a great job. I felt so bad for him.

• Love 3

pcta, your stole the words right out of my head. I liked Nathan in the beginning when he was shy and not in love.

Their romance just leaves me cold. No interest whatsoever. Only Duke made it somewhat bearable in the early stages.

I also watch/ed for Vince and Dave. Bummed when they're not in an episode.

I sort of loathed this ep. Audrey in the dream world was hard to stomach. Her acting reminded me too much of Maura.

I just got last season on DVD so have been slogging through those eps and I pretty much hated last season. Despise Maura.

The only thing that was of interest in this ep was Duke & Seth and too little of that (& hoping that girl who walks through walls
doesn't return) and the Sandman actor who was quite good. Seeing Seth was also a nice surprise.

Otherwise, boring filler. Got us nowhere basically.

What happened to this show? Last season is mostly unwatchable. I had little hope for this season but a few of the eps weren't so bad.

Do you think we will get any resolution on Croatian or however it's spelt or Dave's adoption and why?

• Love 1

I'm on the pcta train here too. Nathan as awkward guy with crush on French-Canadian woman was fun. It really was. Nathan being aggressive in pursuing Jordan (understanding he was faking somewhat) was kind of hot. I'm thinking of their diner scene. Nathan mooning over Audrey and waving guns in people's faces while looking desperate is so fucking dull.

ER's acting took a serious nosedive after S3. And with it, my affection for the Audrey character. It could be that instead of exploring Audrey finding herself v. the real Audrey personality and memories implanted on her, they dropped that. I would have found that so much more interesting. What of her was really her? Did Nathan love HavenAudrey or OriginalAudrey? Would Duke have bonded with OriginalAudrey or was there a pull from the Havenness of HavenAudrey that attracted him?

Instead, OriginalAudrey lost her memory and dashed off with Brad and we still know nothing about her, why she was chosen, what her tie to have was and what has happened to her now. She was shuffled off fast.

I want the RealLucy that HavenAudrey met to have her own purpose. Same with the RealSarah and so on. I hate that they are just ...nothings as far as the story is concerned right now.

Would Nathan have banged them all if they looked like HavenAudrey? These were the important questions for me after S3 ended and the show just went in such a weird and unfulfilling direction.

Then again, twu wuv often just bores on screen.

Edited by BlackberryJam

Yawn

My favourite part was the Nathan/Audrey flashback where I was reminded when this show wasn't so tiresomely laboured.

If they're this uninspired then maybe cancellation was a good thing.

I've been rewatching from the beginning, and I've been struck by how fresh and sweet the initial pairing was between these two. They were so geeky and different in how their romance developed. At the time they were my favourite tv couple. How times have changed. 

I don't dislike Nathan/Audrey, but it's a shadow of what it used to be, and their individual characters have been totally subsumed by the OTP.

The whole show is just dragging on to the end, as sadly so many others have done. The writers are bogged down, and there is way too much exposition going on in the dialogue, it's become so lazy and uncaring. Please hurry up and put me out of my misery damn you. 

• Love 2

I thought this episode was far more about the relationship between Charlotte and Audrey than Nathan and Audrey. Of course, Nathan would have to come up as one of the ways to break through the brainwashing, since the guy she really loves vs. the guy trying to make her love him would be a factor, but Charlotte was the one who went into the dream world, figured things out, and really pushed Audrey. And that was what led them to really accept each other as mother/daughter. Up to that point, it seemed like even though Charlotte chose Audrey over Mara, there was a slight sense that Audrey wasn't her "real" daughter, and Audrey wasn't thinking of Charlotte as a mother or even liking her all that much. She was pretty disgusted with her. But this event made them actually bond as a mother and daughter, something Audrey's been looking for since the pilot episode. That also seems like it's going to be critical to the plot if they're going to work together to stop the Troubles. Charlotte told Audrey she needed her. And those rings made another appearance in an interesting, possibly meaningful way.

• Love 2

The writers are bogged down, and there is way too much exposition going on in the dialogue, it's become so lazy and uncaring.

Totally agree with this. All the big reveals since S4, have been handled so badly. Vince and Dave used to be so mysterious, then Dave was adopted, came from the other side etc.

I also found Audrey Parker in the Sandman's world quite annoying and she did give off Mara vibes. And Audrey being in peril yet again is so annoying, the character has completely changed. I still don't trust or like Charlotte although the show is telling us that she is 'one of the good guys', don't buy it. Found her calling Audrey 'dove' like she did Mara creepy.

This episode could have worked earlier in the series, the Sandman character was good, but at this stage it was total boring meaningless filler.

• Love 3
All the big reveals since S4, have been handled so badly. Vince and Dave used to be so mysterious, then Dave was adopted, came from the other side etc.

It is my understanding that Sam Ernst and Jim Dunn ended their creative control at the end of S3, becoming something like "executive creative consultants" or other such hogwash. Immediately the quality dived.

Or as they say on Earth II, what a pity, the show was cancelled at the end of S3 and we never got to find out what the remaining writers would have done with it. Because there's no way Haven would have become claustrophobic fan fiction with no idea how to develop their characters, present realistic dialog, or create believable conflict and tension.

• Love 5

This show used to be good, but the quality really took a nosedive pretty early on. I'm still hanging in there because I like the main characters (yes, all of them), but the writing is cringeworthy.

Maybe I'll just wait until the show is done and watch a compilation of Duke and Nathan scenes on youtube. Their friendship is my favourite part of the show, the actors always had much better chemistry with each other than either of them had with Audrey. Emily Rose IMO never had romantic chemistry with anybody, not Nathan, Duke, Chris Brody or William. They should have just kept the main trio platonic instead of focusing on romance,

• Love 7
They should have just kept the main trio platonic instead of focusing on romance.

My complaint about almost every show in the history of shows. Men and women can be friends and/or working partners without falling in damned love every second.

Now I'm re-writing the entire script in my head -- police detectives/trouble investigations/paranormal stuff/central mystery/secondary characters and personal lives that include outside love interests.

• Love 1

I don't know if it was the change in creative control, the change in focus, the decline in acting from ER or what, but yeah, first three season were great. This was...the skin that develops on pudding that has been sitting for too long. Not horrible for you, but just icky and undesirable.

Nathan does the same damn thing in every episode. Audrey's magical powers of talky-ness are just lame at this point. And maybe I missed it, but did the deaf guy actually die? I have to say, EB embodies the physical mannerisms of the character, and he's selling it in every scene, but they need to get him back to Haven, NOW.

This show really needs to begin the finale buildup.

And NO MORE WAVING GUNS IN FACES, NATHAN.

• Love 3

Up to that point, it seemed like even though Charlotte chose Audrey over Mara, there was a slight sense that Audrey wasn't her "real" daughter, and Audrey wasn't thinking of Charlotte as a mother or even liking her all that much.

This is similar to what I was thinking. I was suspecting for a while that Charlotte only chose Audrey because she considered Audrey more malleable, someone that she could talk into liking her and coming home with her now that Mara was clearly a lost cause. Still not totally convinced that wasn't the better part of her motivation, but now she's really showing that she's come around to loving Audrey as her own person.

"Duke is 100% done with your ridiculous weirdness" is my drug of choice, and so of course I loved everything about his scenes. I was looking forward to seeing Seth again, and he continues to be entertaining.

• Love 1

I don't know if it was the change in creative control, the change in focus, the decline in acting from ER or what, but yeah, first three season were great. This was...the skin that develops on pudding that has been sitting for too long. Not horrible for you, but just icky and undesirable.

Nathan does the same damn thing in every episode. Audrey's magical powers of talky-ness are just lame at this point. And maybe I missed it, but did the deaf guy actually die? I have to say, EB embodies the physical mannerisms of the character, and he's selling it in every scene, but they need to get him back to Haven, NOW.

This show really needs to begin the finale buildup.

And NO MORE WAVING GUNS IN FACES, NATHAN.

Awesome! That is such a great metaphor...I want to steal it so much!

Duke has always been the most charismatic character, and the show suffers when he's not a big part of it. I found Nathan bland in the beginning, and then a bland bully and idiot once "true love" was established. It's hard to like a character who is willing to throw everyone under the bus to protect his sweetie. At least it is for me. 

Vince and Dave were much more interesting when they were just mysterious. 

I used to watch Haven immediately (I record everything due to my schedule), but now it's, "Oh, okay, I guess I'll watch this one to get it off of my DVR." Such a pity. 

• Love 2

These were the important questions for me after S3 ended and the show just went in such a weird and unfulfilling direction.

I totally agree. The Haven we have now is not the Haven we started out with. From atmosphere to storyline, they're like two completely different shows. The first one drew me in. The second one? Not so much. The first one was a lot of fun and had a lot of intriguing, almost fresh possibilities to it. The second one is grim and dreary and feels like so many other shows that are out there. I really miss the show that drew me in.

Having said that, I did feel like this episode was a step in the right direction - back towards what it once was, at least atmospherically. I just wish they hadn't made some of the storyline decisions they made last season. There were so many other fresher, more interesting paths they could have taken - ones that would have fit the starting point so much better.

• Love 2

The show also became pretty male centric. Sure Audrey was usually the only main female character, but she was the focus(and this is when Emily Rose was at her best)

Now Audrey is on the sidelines for like half the episodes. Dwight sometimes gets more to do than her. And she's always in danger

And why is Dwight such a focal character?

Edited by XtremeOne1
  • Love 3

Totally. I loved Dwight as the vague "cleaner" character. He was totally hot fixing things, but now that we have this silly conflict with the guard, blah blah, it totally makes me miss the Rev. I am seriously, seriously missing the Rev.

Damn, even thinking about it, I would love a scene with long-hair not-a-cop Dwight "fixing" something and the Rev coming upon his with his flock and Dwight being all dismissive and intimidating.

• Love 2

Oh...ugh. Audrey as the pretty princess Sandman wants to marry. Of course, OF COURSE.

Audrey has become the Lana Lang of Haven! Oh, the humanity!

This show used to be good, but the quality really took a nosedive pretty early on. I'm still hanging in there because I like the main characters (yes, all of them), but the writing is cringeworthy.

Maybe I'll just wait until the show is done and watch a compilation of Duke and Nathan scenes on youtube. Their friendship is my favourite part of the show, the actors always had much better chemistry with each other than either of them had with Audrey. Emily Rose IMO never had romantic chemistry with anybody, not Nathan, Duke, Chris Brody or William. They should have just kept the main trio platonic instead of focusing on romance,

A big giant YES to your entire post. Every single word of it.

I totally agree. The Haven we have now is not the Haven we started out with. From atmosphere to storyline, they're like two completely different shows. The first one drew me in. The second one? Not so much. The first one was a lot of fun and had a lot of intriguing, almost fresh possibilities to it. The second one is grim and dreary and feels like so many other shows that are out there. I really miss the show that drew me in.

It's so true. This ep is the perfect example - in season 1, Audrey was Clark Kent saving the town; here in season 5, she's Lana the Pretty Princess waiting to be saved. So sad. At least Clark never stuck a gun in someone's face and threatened them to protect Lana on Smallville. Take notes, Nathan.

Like quite a few of you, Audrey and Nathan's twu wuv leaves me cold. And it was only made worse by the montage when Audrey remembers him at the end - it reminded me how both had their own distinct personalities earlier, and how much I enjoyed their buddy banter. Now they're both so bland and flat and obsessive about each other to the complete detriment of everyone else around them. No wonder Duke's pissed - everyone else comes a far distant second to N & A. "Who cares if the town blows up, as long as you're safe!" Ugh.

Random:

Loved Duke's scenes with Seth. It's so nice to see Duke being proactive after last week's ep, and Seth is always entertaining. I admit I got a good chuckle at Duke's utter exasperation at the end when Seth forgot him after walking twenty yards away. And Duke chasing down the van. Oh hell, any Duke scene is my favorite scene of an ep.

Oh, did anyone else catch that Lucas Bryant directed this episode? I thought he did a great job. Script issues aside, the visuals were great, I liked how the real world and the dream world came across so differently, and there were some impressive shots and camera work (confession: I'm a bit of a cinematography nerd). Kudos, Lucas!

And on a shallow note, Charlotte's dream world dress was super gorgeous. Didn't much care for Audrey's Disney princess look.

Edited by Maelstrom
  • Love 1

And maybe I missed it, but did the deaf guy actually die? 

My impression was that he, and the other two that the Sandman killed in "his world" died in ours as well.  But they weren't Audrey, so just like the bearded men of the previous episode, they don't matter.  (Considering how crucial "Deaf Guy" was in the previous episode, I would have liked for Audrey to acknowledge his death.)

• Love 3

The direction(s) the show has gone on to since the creators left makes me wonder if the creators shared their whole vision with the new crew or not. Did Dunn & Ernst know how this would all end? And maybe an idea/ideas of how to get there when they started out?

Are we seeing that or was the new crew left to fill in the blanks as they saw fit? Cause I can't believe what we're seeing now and what we've seen in the last few years was a good enough vision to sell to a network & get a series made. Maybe Dunn & Ernst didn't have a clear ending in mind. But if they did I can't believe this is it.

• Love 4

The direction(s) the show has gone on to since the creators left makes me wonder if the creators shared their whole vision with the new crew or not. Did Dunn & Ernst know how this would all end? And maybe an idea/ideas of how to get there when they started out?

Are we seeing that or was the new crew left to fill in the blanks as they saw fit? Cause I can't believe what we're seeing now and what we've seen in the last few years was a good enough vision to sell to a network & get a series made. Maybe Dunn & Ernst didn't have a clear ending in mind. But if they did I can't believe this is it.

I think they packed in a lot of stuff at the end of Season 3 and to be honest I don't think they had much more to tell after that hence the disaster that's been season 4 and 5. Dunn & Ernst did always claim to know the exact last scene, but I read an interview with one of the showrunners when asked whether the end would be the one originally envisioned by the creators and the answer was sort of, but they claimed to have 'gone deeper' than the original premise.

They are scheduled to write an episode in 5b so I expect it to be better than anything we've seen lately and then maybe the last 5 or 6 episodes will be good and make us forget how bad its become.