Type keyword(s) to search

Island Hunters - General Discussion

• Start Topic

The people searching for an island to have their perfect vacation or honeymoon just irk me. The ones who do it locally, okay, I can suspend disbelief. But if you are trying to tell me that this couple flew out to Tahiti to look at 3 potential rentals without having a reservation at one and then the one they "picked" just happened to have a opening while they are there, well, I have a bridge to sell you.

The lady who bought two islands, 1 to turn into a monkey sanctuary, and 1 that was 0 acres because it was all stilt houses on a mangrove cluster was odd. I wonder what property taxes are like on something with 0 acres. When the tide goes out, do you have land then so you are only taxable for a portion of the day?

Also, yes, Patagonia was incredible.

• Love 5
2 hours ago, chessiegal said:

Couple moving from Virginia to Martha's Vineyard - reason for move is you can only be outside 3-4 months a year in Virginia. WTF?? We're in Maryland and we're outside 8 months, and they're moving north.

Maybe the heat and humidity? That's the only thing I can think of--and I still think it'd be more than 3-4 months. 

• Love 1

The Merritt Island family of five last night made me laugh. Specifically, the daughter's hand gestures of what her parents do to demonstrate why they share a room.  Nice family, seems to be a lot of space coast episodes of late. 

Haven't seen an episode of Island Hunters in ages, but an older episode that really, really turned me off was the one with the couple buying a (Florida?) property. The guy kept bringing up "the zombie apocalypse." Not sure if he thought he was being amusing or if he was hiding a major issue, or both.

• Love 1
9 hours ago, nanometer said:

Haven't seen an episode of Island Hunters in ages, but an older episode that really, really turned me off was the one with the couple buying a (Florida?) property. The guy kept bringing up "the zombie apocalypse." Not sure if he thought he was being amusing or if he was hiding a major issue, or both.

I remember that episode. Yes, they were in Florida, and he was dead serious about the zombies. Nut case.

I got lucky, tuned in today to this show for the first time and got a perfectly reasonable couple in Canada (Parry Sound) buying an island with a budget of 0.5-1.0 million! A bargain! Considering that where I live $750,000 will buy you a 2 (maaaybe 3) bedroom house that's 80 years old and needs work, it had me daydreaming of island life instead. All those trails and trees and views...mmmm.

I'd much rather watch them than the high-maintenance, high-budget types. 

But in the end don't want to live on my own island unless I was dripping with money for ferry service, grocery deliveries, and the like. Solitude is awesome, but that level of isolation feels...onerous. Especially if you have to build any new structures.

• Love 3

Watching episode now couple looking to stay at an island off of Colombia. The guy had never been there before but they decided upon that locale for their honeymoon with a budget of 9k. I don’t understand it. Is there no one else there? Does the 8.5k they spent include maid service, meals, drinks? Not for me. Guess she was originally from Columbia, which makes sense for the locale at least.

• Love 1