Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E06: Side Bitch

So glad she isn't cheating. Of course Jimmy still manages to fuck it up by walking away when something is obviously wrong. I guess that's just how their relationship works. Love Edgar finding someone.

• Love 4

OK, so, wow.  It's weird, I've even read some articles a month or two ago about how this show, Rick and Morty, and Bojack Horseman are comedies about depression and yet I still never would have guessed depression would literally be the thing.  And agreed to everything Arynm said.  Though I kinda agree with Vikram Murthi in the AV Club review: yes, you should probably leave someone be if they don't want your company at that point, but on the other hand, Jimmy's specific reaction to the mystery solved really is still juvenile and selfish: "it's ok, she wasn't cheating on me, so I'm not going to worry any more about any of this."

So much to unpack in a very busy episode!

Becca is truly the worst.  Lindsay starts with good intentions to grow as a person and claim some independence, but without any real-world skills, there's not that much to it.  Also, walking in LA kinda sucks; it's gruesomely hot a lot of the time and there aren't even sidewalks.

Dorothy's rant about comedy community culture had the ring of truth. And wow to see "Brian" just dissolve like that.  But hooray, Edgar has something going with someone who likes him more than Lindsay ever did.

The rappers' real-fake-real feud was hilarious. Great button too: "can I use the rest of our time to talk about my parents' divorce?"

If Jimmy wanking to his own erotic stories written decades ago is the most Jimmy thing ever, Ty's "water bar" is the most Ty thing ever.  AND THE RETURN OF JIMMY'S FAKE MUSTACHE!

This ep really had so much happening, and normally an ep with this much stuff in it would have felt like something was underserved, but I think everything worked.

• Love 2

Dang, this show is straight up killing it. The ability to be so absurd and funny while also being real and emotional is great.

I've known people like Lindsay, "Who knew you needed to put oil in a car?" And her whole segment from the time she left Jimmy was perfection. The music accompanying her moods of trying to get home (strong, independent, chin up... to beaten down and exhausted... to rocking out again on the bike.... to WTF!? Here again!), confiding in her sister, and then managing to bust open Vernon's safe with a 6969 code.

There's no way Jimmy gets off those texts on the god phone in that short of time though..

• Love 1

Dang, this show is straight up killing it. The ability to be so absurd and funny while also being real and emotional is great.

I've known people like Lindsay, "Who knew you needed to put oil in a car?" And her whole segment from the time she left Jimmy was perfection. The music accompanying her moods of trying to get home (strong, independent, chin up... to beaten down and exhausted... to rocking out again on the bike.... to WTF!? Here again!), confiding in her sister, and then managing to bust open Vernon's safe with a 6969 code.

There's no way Jimmy gets off those texts on the god phone in that short of time though..

Loved the Lindsay "trek"! I have been there a couple of times, and it all starts out so well....walking in real life, especially if you are unprepared, is never as fun/cool as it seems on TV! There are seriously water bars?

Rewatching the break-up of 'Brian', and I really like how the improvisers all honor the object work of the dropped mic by stepping over its mimed presence... but what I love love love is that the third one does so half-heartedly.  The other two did it big, he just kinda half-assedly does it.  (and then, what happens at the end? Does Edgar trip over that imaginary mic as well?)

Vernon's safe contains: a TON of pills, a lot of cash, a social security card, a passport, and a burner phone.

• Love 2
(edited)

"Doctor's only"? Really, Vernon? I guess now we know who was responsible for the extraneous apostrophes in the evite from last season. Love that Lindsey correctly guessed that the combination was 6969.

Oh, Jimmy. His triumphant reaction at the end when he walked away reminded me of Rob in High Fidelity whose only concern was whether his ex had slept with her new boyfriend yet. Dude, you are focusing on the wrong thing here. If he had at least not had such a huge shit eating grin on his face, I could have given him the benefit of the doubt and believed that he was giving her some personal space. I know that sometimes when people move in together, they can feel a little boxed in because the other person is always around. I remember one guy I knew said he used to go into the bathroom just to get a few minutes away from his live-in girlfriend (they later got married and are very happy together so it wasn't that he didn't like her - he just wanted some space in those early days of cohabitating).

Lindsay's inability to do anything was sad to me. It reminded me of some kids in my freshman dorm who didn't know how to do their own laundry. I can't imagine being an adult and not knowing how to pay my own bills or take care of my basic needs. I did love the sequence of her triumphantly walking to barely being able to drag herself down the street. Walking in LA is no joke (although she was in a very nice suburban neighborhood with sidewalks and everything!). I don't know why it didn't occur to her to just get a ride home from Lyft.

The water bar was so Ty. Totally pretentious so of course it was hipster central. Well, hipster central plus Sam.

Edited by ElectricBoogaloo

Vernon's safe contains: a TON of pills, a lot of cash, a social security card, a passport, and a burner phone.

Haha Vernon and Becca are so funny I wish there was a bit more of them. 

Ooof Lindsey is just hitting every rung on the ladder, I was surprised and glad to see she didn't call Edgar when she wasn't sure how to get home. So glad Edgar found somebody cute that SEEMS to like him back, but I'm not too sure about her either, her ish with Tall Nathan makes things still feel pretty one-sided with Edgar, in the sense of her using him to get through a difficult period in her life. 

I think Jimmy's immediate reaction to seeing her crying was concern, and he wasn't sure how to handle it, and I think both of them struggle so hard against being normals that it was just easier to take her at her word that "they" were fine, and be hugely relieved and happy she wasn't cheating, while also probably patting himself on the back for respecting her need for private crying sessions every night.

• Love 1

Sometime between last episode and this one, I thought hey "What if Gretchen's just sneaking off to have some alone time and she's taking the Garbage Person phone to play Snake?" I really wish I had documented that somewhere. It just sucks that the reason Gretchen's sneaking off is so much sadder than just alone time. And stupid Jimmy's just happy she doesn't have a side bitch. I would have been fine if he had walked away just to give her more alone time or because he didn't know what to do for her but the look of joy on his face was the worst.

• Love 1

"Doctor's only"? Really, Vernon? I guess now we know who was responsible for the extraneous apostrophes in the evite from last season. Love that Lindsey correctly guessed that the combination was 6969.

I took that as the possessive, meaning that contents belonged to the doctor in the house.  You might be right though - the apostrophe and the s were clearly added as an afterthought.

Like others, I'm glad that Edgar finally found someone - I hope she'll boost him up enough that he tells Jimmy to fuck off and moves in with her; he doesn't deserve to be treated the way he is by Jimmy or, for that matter, Gretchen.

Like others, I'm glad that Edgar finally found someone - I hope she'll boost him up enough that he tells Jimmy to fuck off and moves in with her; he doesn't deserve to be treated the way he is by Jimmy or, for that matter, Gretchen.

Well, though, Jimmy did take Edgar in when he was homeless and still lets him live there after Edgar mentioned he's been waking up with a knife in his hands. And he went down to the VA with Edgar to browbeat them into paying for Edgar's meds.  Jimmy's a bad friend, but he's got his good points.

• Love 2

Well, though, Jimmy did take Edgar in when he was homeless and still lets him live there after Edgar mentioned he's been waking up with a knife in his hands. And he went down to the VA with Edgar to browbeat them into paying for Edgar's meds.  Jimmy's a bad friend, but he's got his good points.

And it was kind of a bartering system, wasn't it?  Edgar lives there for free and in exchange, he does the cooking, cleaning...etc.

• Love 1

Yeah, when Edgar moved back in he tried to say it would be as a full-blown adult and he would pay rent instead of barter, but when faced with fair market value ($1200/month) he said he'd take on some of the chores again.