Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E05: The Desperate Hours

I'd rather they leave some loose ends than try to tie it up neatly because there's way too much to fit into an hour.  (Unless most of the episode is exposition from the future.)

Endings that I would hate include 1) this has been a CMR illusion all along, 2) Kira flips a magic reset button and the future is sunshine and rainbows or 3) everybody dies and the future resumes where it was.  

• Love 1

I thought the Kellog break-out was a bit much. Couldn't they just wait for the lawyers to release him? Carlos or whoever complained that he'd be out in 24 hours. It seems they've drawn more attention to themselves this way.

• Love 2

I'm just going to say it.  I don't see how they can end this in only one more episode.

And RIP, Travis. 

I've been doing a little digging.  To my understanding, the older Alec character played by William B. Davis...is actually the owner of the film company that the show "Continuum" filmed under in Vancouver, Canada.  The show could have well continued but from what I read, Davis pulled the plug since his film company was contracted for 2015 by Fox Television's  "The X-Files" for the filming of the new six episodes.  Also, Davis was casted again as the 'Smoking Man'  character for these new episodes.  

"Continuum" has been a great sci-fi show that I really enjoyed for the past four years.  I think the show's creator and writer, Simon Barry, should bring the show back with another film company from Canada.   

Edited by Mars7
  • Love 3

I thought that the ratings were not good enough for a full season pickup?  Whatever the reason, I would watch if SB found a way to take the core characters into an alternate timeline.  One without old Alec, if need be. 

I thought that the ratings were not good enough for a full season pickup?  Whatever the reason, I would watch if SB found a way to take the core characters into an alternate timeline.  One without old Alec, if need be. 

Granted, more successful in Canada than in the U.S.  Continuum had quite a few accolades since their run.

Showing all 14 wins and 32 nominations

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1954347/awards

Edited by Mars7
  • Love 2

I've been doing a little digging.  To my understanding, the older Alec character played by William B. Davis...is actually the owner of the film company that the show "Continuum" filmed under in Vancouver, Canada.  The show could have well continued but from what I read, Davis pulled the plug since his film company was contracted for 2015 by Fox Television's  "The X-Files" for the filming of the new six episodes.  Also, Davis was casted again as the 'Smoking Man'  character for these new episodes.  

"Continuum" has been a great sci-fi show that I really enjoyed for the past four years.  I think the show's creator and writer, Simon Barry, should bring the show back with another film company from Canada.   

Reunion Pictures (the production company) doesn't have anything to do with William B. Davis, at least not according to their website.

Reunion Pictures (the production company) doesn't have anything to do with William B. Davis, at least not according to their website.

Yep, good catch. This old guy has the coin.  I knew I read this online somewhere but the name of his film company is, William B. Davis Productions Inc.  He also owns a film school in Vancouver.  http://www.williambdavis.com/williambdavisproductions

http://www.mandy.com/service/WIL471/

Reunion Pictures Inc.

Develops and finances high quality television and allied multi-platform properties. As well as its traditional métier of prime-time drama, it has affiliated companies in documentary /lifestyle programming and Asian co-productions.

Producers and Production Companies, Production Financing in Canada - British Columbia

Also:  

How the Magic & Economics of Canadian Sci-Fi TV Helped Create 'Continuum'

Photo of Liz Shannon Miller

By Liz Shannon Miller | Indiewire

December 9, 2014 at 6:08PM

What went into the decision to make the fourth season the final season?

I'm obviously not privy to the conversations that happen inside the network, but I think from their perspective... whether it was an issue of internal profits or the money that gets recycled back into the broadcaster, to cover what they're paying out or whether we're simply making a creative decision, I think ultimately we were probably on the bubble in terms of how we were bringing money back in for the Canadian broadcaster. In terms of their decision-making process, we probably received the benefit of the doubt in terms of not being canceled, which a lot of shows are when they're not performing to expectations. They wisely recognized there was an opportunity to service the fans, and also to make more of an event around this final season. It seemed like a lot of things lined up in our favor in that sense. Obviously, I'm speculating, because you never get to hear the inside information.

http://www.indiewire.com/article/how-the-magic-economics-of-canadian-sci-fi-tv-helped-create-continuum-20141209

In the rumor mill, Davis knew he was going back to filming "The X-Files" thus forcing Simon Barry to fold up shop.   

Edited by Mars7

Considering that Davis isn't IN Continuum all that much, I kinda doubt his work on The X-Files would hinder the show that much. The ratings weren't that good, I think that's pretty much the reason.

• Love 1

Yep, good catch. This old guy has the coin.  I knew I read this online somewhere but the name of his film company is, William B. Davis Productions Inc. 

In the rumor mill, Davis knew he was going back to filming "The X-Files" thus forcing Simon Barry to fold up shop.   

William B. Davis productions doesn't produce Continuum. And as mentioned he's been in 9 episodes of the series, his filming of the X-Files wouldn't cause that much of a hassle, he's not one of the leads.

William B. Davis productions doesn't produce Continuum. And as mentioned he's been in 9 episodes of the series, his filming of the X-Files wouldn't cause that much of a hassle, he's not one of the leads.

You're right because Simon Barry pointed that out in the above article I cited.  Rumor for leaving Continuum because of X-Files moving in.   An article from last fall indicated his film company was used for the production of Continuum.  I will find the article.  I never thought he was the primary investor for the show but when I read this article from last year I started connecting the dots.   

Edited by Mars7

I didn't say production, I said film company. 

What services (if any) did William B. Davis Productions supply to Continuum that couldn't be supplied by the other companies in the Vancouver area?

Did you read the article from Simon Barry?  It was about money.

yeah, the show wasn't bringing in enough money to Showcase, it's primary backer, There is no mention of William B. Davis production pulling the plug, or any mention at all of the company in the article.

Edited by MrWhyt

Considering that Davis isn't IN Continuum all that much, I kinda doubt his work on The X-Files would hinder the show that much. The ratings weren't that good, I think that's pretty much the reason.

But Davs' money would, if true.   The ratings were higher in Canada than in the U.S.  

What services (if any) did William B. Davis Productions supply to Continuum that couldn't be supplied by the other companies in the Vancouver area?

yeah, the show wasn't bringing in enough money to Showcase, it's primary backer, There is no mention of William B. Davis production pulling the plug, or any mention at all of the company in the article.

People With Money’s factors

In compiling this yearly list, the magazine considers factors such as upfront pay, profit participation, residuals, endorsements and advertising work.

The Canadian actor-director has an estimated net worth of $145 million. He owes his fortune to smart stock investments, substantial property holdings, lucrative endorsement deals with CoverGirl cosmetics. He also owns several restaurants (the “Fat Davis Burger” chain) in Ottawa, a Football Team (the “Toronto Angels”), has launched his own brand of Vodka (Pure Wonderdavis - Canada), and is tackling the juniors market with a top-selling perfume (With Love from William B.) and a fashion line called “William B. Davis Seduction”.

The ranking is significant for many William B. fans, who have been waiting for his triumphant return to the glory days for what seems like a lifetime.

I said rumor but I don't know. Investments change and maybe he had something to do with the show when I read the article from last year.  I am not doubting you because everything you have said was what I always believed.  Showcase was the primary broadcaster in Canada but for many television shows, the primary money backers can sometimes remain anonymous.  At this point, I would have to say...you're correct.  I'm probably reading into this, but Simon Barry said he was not privy which means he was guessing of why the show was cancelled.   I know William B. Davis owns a lot of investments and companies and by rights his networth is higher than I thought.

Edited by Mars7
The Canadian actor-director has an estimated net worth of $145 million. He owes his fortune to smart stock investments, substantial property holdings, lucrative endorsement deals with CoverGirl cosmetics. He also owns several restaurants (the “Fat Davis Burger” chain) in Ottawa, a Football Team (the “Toronto Angels”), has launched his own brand of Vodka (Pure Wonderdavis - Canada), and is tackling the juniors market with a top-selling perfume (With Love from William B.) and a fashion line called “William B. Davis Seduction”.

The ranking is significant for many William B. fans, who have been waiting for his triumphant return to the glory days for what seems like a lifetime.

I said rumor but I don't know. Investments change and maybe he had something to do with the show when I read the article from last year.  I am not doubting you because everything you have said was what I always believed.  Showcase was the primary broadcaster in Canada but for many television shows, the primary money backers can sometimes remain anonymous.  At this point, I would have to say...you're correct.  I'm probably reading into this, but Simon Barry said he was not privy which means he was guessing of why the show was cancelled.   I know William B. Davis owns a lot of investments and companies and by rights his networth is higher than I thought.

you're sure that's about William B. Davis and not Matthew Davis? (http://en.mediamass.net/people/matthew-davis/highest-paid.html)

The American actor has an estimated net worth of $245 million. He owes his fortune to smart stock investments, substantial property holdings, lucrative endorsement deals with CoverGirl cosmetics. He also owns several restaurants (the “Fat Davis Burger” chain) in Washington, a Football Team (the “Salt Lake City Angels”), has launched his own brand of Vodka (Pure Wonderdavis - US), and is tackling the juniors market with a top-selling perfume (With Love from Matthew) and a fashion line called “Matthew Davis Seduction

yes that's the website claiming all that stuff, but if you read it you'll see it's a near exact copy of what is there for Matthew Davis which I linked to.

That's funny. Another good catch.  Holy crap!  So what is he worth?  $2 million or $46 million?  I guess one can never believe everything you read online.  

Edited by Mars7

I thought the Kellog break-out was a bit much. Couldn't they just wait for the lawyers to release him? Carlos or whoever complained that he'd be out in 24 hours. It seems they've drawn more attention to themselves this way.

Yeah - shooting up VPD seemed like a way too labor intensive method for getting Kellogg out of jail.

Damn, I am going to miss the deliciousness of Stephen Lobo in Kellogg's suits.

Thank God Roger Cross will still be on my TV in Dark Matter, or I woulda been hella pissed at Travis dying. At least he went out a hero like Lucas (::sniff::)

I hate seeing Carlos and Keira fighting. And I was super stressed Carlos was going to die in this ep.

Edited by Gillian Rosh
  • Love 3

I refuse to blame the evil corporations for Continuum's demise. Look at what Liber8 did to screw up the timeline because they blamed the corporations :P Most of the time, it's a balance between cost of production, revenue from broadcasters and how it fits into the overall scheme of things. I get annoyed because I think Lost Girl kind of took the steam out of what may be considered another sci-fi show with a strong female lead.

Speaking of revenue, I'm having a sad over the last episode. I think Canada already saw it and I have to wait another week. I assuming Syfy paid less than ever for this run because they're airing it at 11pm after the horrible Z Nation.

This episode seemed to have an excessive amount of filler for the penultimate airing. One interesting thing I heard was Kellogg's plan to use Travis' body to create the super soldiers. If Travis blew up enough to yield no important technology, does that mean the portal opens next week to a completely different future?

• Love 1
I refuse to blame the evil corporations for Continuum's demise. Look at what Liber8 did to screw up the timeline because they blamed the corporations :P

You win the internet today :-)

kariyaki, my heart swelled when Carols said to Keira, "I don't want to lose you."

after the horrible Z Nation.

Been wondering if I should add this show to my Syfy roster. Wonder no more, I guess.

Forgot to say in my previous post, I loved the Travis/Kellogg scene. "I am the embodiment of what Liber8 was fighting for." Oh, Kellogg - don't ever change.

Edited by Gillian Rosh
  • Love 3

Yeah - shooting up VPD seemed like way too labor intensive method for getting Kellogg out of jail.

...... pissed at Travis dying. At least he went out a hero like Lucas (::sniff::)

I hate seeing Carlos and Keira fighting. And I was super stressed Carlos was going to die in this ep.

Final epi's condensed so yeh it was safe to assume a lead character would die. Fitting even if not intentional that during Kellog's escape the man who murdered his grandmother dies. Travis was a believer & leader. I think after 'the lecture' by Kellog how Travis would be remembered inspired him to comeback into the station. Kind of puzzled by those ultra fast healing nanites healing really really fast with bullets flying through his body but the entire escape shootout was a bit over done.

I wish they had elaborated on 2035 more. Carlos understands time travel enough to remind Kiera that there might not be a home to go to ie the suicide mission. Dillon the wild card for the final epi.

I kept on thinking the Terminator when they finally blew up the office with those nanites and other tech left to salvaged from the rubble and bodies. Also just "a" chance but was Travis really killed?

No cameo from Betty this year? And where is Garza? Loose ends for a movie or reboot?

Just as time traveling back should've altered events for Kiera's future wouldn't the invasion alter their future. Could be why the police became on intent implementing technology and used the police playbook.

Edited by misstwpherecool
  • Love 1

Fell flat for me. Walking Dillon back from his choice of Piron didn't redeem the character because there's no obvious reason why he would do that. No, I don't regard an appeal from Kiera as a real reason, much as I adore her.

Am I supposed to care what Dillon does or where his heart lies? Cuz I don't, at all.

I've also lost patience with Keira so guess that leaves me hoping Kellogg emerges triumphant in whatever future he desires. Take over the world, you conniving bastard! I've come to admire your determined, single-minded, and wholly self-interested guile.

Edited by lordonia

I kept on thinking the Terminator when they finally blew up the office with those nanites and other tech left to salvaged from the rubble and bodies. Also just "a" chance but was Travis really killed?

No cameo from Betty this year? And where is Garza? Loose ends for a movie or reboot?

Just as time traveling back should've altered events for Kiera's future wouldn't the invasion alter their future. Could be why the police became on intent implementing technology and used the police playbook.

Maybe Travis is indestructible like the T1000 terminator? It looked like Dillon was dead when Sonia blew up so with Travis, who knows. I guess it's possible he will be alive again in the future but with the different path time is taking his life could be very different.

I'm wondering where Garza is too, hope to see her in the finale. Also hope we see Julian, if his exit was going to live with young Kagame and his mother and that's it I'll be disappointed.

I don't get how others coming from 20 years in the future is going be good at all. Depending on how old those who come back are there's a younger version of them roaming around in the present, wouldn't that be a problem? Couldn't those who already came back work to make their future better for those that they left behind?

So, I hadn't had time to comment on this episode till now but wow, that fight scene at the end was, intense (to say the least) but also, IMO, very unnecessary too (and I don't even remember the older Star Trek having a fight scene that ended up blowing up a building like that). Also, RIP Travis. 

So, since this is the second to last episode does anyone think that once Kiera goes back to the future, that this will just create some kind of time loop? Where all of our characters are still alive and are willing to repeat the process (minus of course Kiera) because they don't know (yet) the actual damage that they will cause by traveling time?

Edited by TVSpectator
  • Love 1

Well at least someone finally pointed out to Kiera that her future may no longer exist. 'Bout time.

I kind of wish they wouldn't dredge up the specter of characters that were killed off in previous seasons like Kagame and Escher because I have a hard enough time remembering everything that happened last season, let alone three seasons ago. Then again, bonus points for continuity I guess.

I knew someone was going to die, so I'm just glad it wasn't Alec or Carlos. I was never a big fan of Travis anyway and was happy when he was "killed" the first time. I do wonder what the heck happened to Garza though.

I noticed in this episode that when Carlos told Travis that Keira was working on trying to get home, Travis' response was: "She's just woken up, and now she wants to go back to sleep?" So, I like that they're acknowledging this about-face by Keira and having other characters question it.

It definitely feels like many things are being rushed, but I guess that's inevitable in an abbreviated season.

Edited by Gillian Rosh
  • Love 3