Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E02: Marseille, France

Bourdain and his travel companion, chef Eric Ripert (Le Bernardin), visit France’s oldest city to experience its stew of cultures and cuisines, indulging in chef Gerald Passedat’s famous bouillabaisse, the classic pied et paquets, Algerian couscous and as much salumi and Corsican cheeses as they can handle. The pair also meet crime novelist Cedric Fabre, esteemed chef Georgiana Viou, and journalist Gilles Rof.
  • Love 1

I didn't know my high school host family was talking me to such a dangerous place when they took me to Marseille on a fun trip! And I have enjoyed the multiple times I have been because of that first trip.

Though even in high school I could tell their were economic issues.

Eric and Tony' s friendship always delights me. I am know imagining a Le Bernadin food truck.

• Love 2

I love seeing Eric and Anthony's friendship. I think that Eric mellows him out so that Tony doesn't delve into too much ranting. Plus it's nice to see Tony drop his acerbic mask and see him just relax when he's hanging out with Eric.

Ha but I can't believe he attempted yet another fishing trip!

• Love 1

saw just a few minutes of it.

was funny when Anthony gets ribbed about just standing there.   he responds by saying he's on  break, since it's France.   and something about a 22-hour work week.   haha

• Love 1

Anthony better be careful with what he eats when he next dines at Le Bernardin.  I can't imagine that the employees there were thrilled about Eric's talk of retirement, which Anthony was egging on.

I love Anthony but he really needs a strong partner in crime.  Eric may appear more mello and  while he does balance Anthony, you don't own a restaurant that has been able to maintain a 3 michelin star rating over a period of years without some intense drive.  This was clearly shown in that game they played where Eric kept trying to jinx the opponents.

This is my favorite episode...  

• Love 2

Watching the repeat now on CNN. It's listed as "Singapore" on the cable guide; I'm sure they're scrambling at the network. Tony made Eric laugh so many times this episode & they talked about reincarnation. The show is so wonderful; but it is heartbreaking & surreal to watch just now.

• Love 5
1 minute ago, NowVoyager said:

Tony made Eric laugh so many times this episode & they talked about reincarnation. The show is so wonderful; but it is heartbreaking & surreal to watch just now.

Yes, I was watching it, too. Hearing them debate their beliefs about the afterlife was haunting.

• Love 3
(edited)

I caught this episode and was reminded how Eric gushed over the bouillabaisse must have delighted the chef even if they are contemparies. Eric seemed bowled over by it and inspired by the techniques.

i forgot this episode had Tony asking Eric about death and karma.

Edited by biakbiak
  • Love 2
On 6/9/2018 at 10:54 PM, NowVoyager said:

Watching the repeat now on CNN. It's listed as "Singapore" on the cable guide; I'm sure they're scrambling at the network. Tony made Eric laugh so many times this episode & they talked about reincarnation. The show is so wonderful; but it is heartbreaking & surreal to watch just now.

Yeah.  It was hard to watch, knowing what just happened.  I know they changed the episodes to reflect some of his greatest episodes, but I wished they didn't show any of his episodes with Ripert.

• Love 2
6 hours ago, Macbeth said:

but I wished they didn't show any of his episodes with Ripert.

Those are my favorites. So many people I know watched this episode and Sichuan with Eric (both available on Netflix) over the last few days and found joy and solace.

• Love 4
On 6/11/2018 at 1:47 PM, Macbeth said:

Yeah.  It was hard to watch, knowing what just happened.  I know they changed the episodes to reflect some of his greatest episodes, but I wished they didn't show any of his episodes with Ripert.

On 6/11/2018 at 8:36 PM, biakbiak said:

Those are my favorites. So many people I know watched this episode and Sichuan with Eric (both available on Netflix) over the last few days and found joy and solace.

My husband and I tried re-watching this episode the other night and had to stop about a third of the way through because neither of us ready to find joy and solace in it yet.  Perhaps in time.  I'm glad Netflix held over the series indefinitely.  When we're ready we will watch.  Right now it's hard for me to imagine being able to find joy and solace in any of the episodes with Eric, but I know time may change that.

• Love 1

I don't think I'm ready either, but I think for a lot of us and perhaps for Eric, with time, we will really appreciate these episodes. Tony and Eric always seemed to have fun together, If I were Eric, I'd really cherish these episodes as mementos to his friend and time together. Bittersweet, but I've been in a similar situation to Eric and I often wish I had more clear memories with the friend that passed on.  

• Love 2
(edited)

And to many of us watching sun kissed Tony explore Marseille with his good French friend, Eric, who is well travelled and rewrote and created so many exquisite fish dishes but had never been to a seaport a 100 miles from where he grew up and got to be delighted, awed and inspired is solace.

I don’t know that it’s weird but the last death to affect me in this way was Harris Wittels. In many ways they were complete opposite Harris died before he kicked his drug addiction and right after he hit 30, his favorite food was something disgusting and from a chain restaurant, and while he coined a phrase* most people don’t know who the fuck he was but everything he touched was “Harris” and that was the same with Anthony and it made me want to read and watch everything they touched and not retreat.

*So this isn’t actually a humblebrag but goddammit Harris you and Tony made me cry.

Edited by biakbiak
(edited)

I actually watched this when it recently aired and was glad I got the chance. It was described in the words preceding it, that it was Anthony's favorite episode or location.  I can't recall which...maybe, both.  

I even looked up other comments about this city online and got a mixed bag.  Regardless, I still wanted to be there with Tony, experiencing the place. 

Edited by SunnyBeBe