Type keyword(s) to search

Beauty Tools: What Works & What doesn't?

• Start Topic

Has anyone used the Skin Perfector or similar tool?  I've been hearing a lot of buzz about these types of tools and I was wondering if it is just buzz or do they actually work.  

In theory, it makes sense; I know how much cleaner my skill feels/looks after using my Clarisonic and I know how improved my teeth/gum health has been since I switched to a sonic toothbrush.  So I would think the same would apply to skin care.

I've never heard of it.   I did laugh when I went to the website you linked because it said "rediscover perfect skin".  I can't rediscover what I never had!

My question would be has it be studied enough to ensure an adequate safety level?  I could find very few medical studies evaluating the effectiveness and, more importantly, safety of ultrasonic based skin treatments.  But maybe I am just not searching for the relevant phrase(s).

• Love 1

I've never heard of it.   I did laugh when I went to the website you linked because it said "rediscover perfect skin".  I can't rediscover what I never had!

My question would be has it be studied enough to ensure an adequate safety level?  I could find very few medical studies evaluating the effectiveness and, more importantly, safety of ultrasonic based skin treatments.  But maybe I am just not searching for the relevant phrase(s).

I hit that road block too (darn you Google!) - I do know that something similar has been used for years by estheticians in local spas - so there is some science behind it (just can't find it).

So, what other beauty tools to we have in our makeup bag?

Has anyone used those face rollers? I keep seeing those being talked about--it looks like a smaller roller with pins on it that you roll across your face. Supposedly it's supposed to create millions of tiny holes and allow moisturizers and serums to penetrate better.

• Love 1

Has anyone used those face rollers? I keep seeing those being talked about--it looks like a smaller roller with pins on it that you roll across your face. Supposedly it's supposed to create millions of tiny holes and allow moisturizers and serums to penetrate better.

I've not heard of those - it sounds painful.

I know sonic infusers are supposed to do the same thing (without creating holes).

• Love 1
On ‎2015‎-‎09‎-‎22 at 2:21 PM, emma675 said:

And probably give you breakouts or other infections. If skin was to be like an onion bag, it would be like that already.

• Love 3

Has anyone tried the Foreo Luna?  I forgot the my sister gave me a Foreo Luna Play (the tiny version that only has a 100 uses on it) for Christmas.  I haven't tried it yet, partly because it's been at the bottom of my suitcase for the past month and partly because I love my Clarisonic. 

Can we take a moment to talk about microneedling? Am I the only one who finds it horrifying in general and something that should really not be sold for at-home use? Every lazy person likes to make a joke about how eyelash curlers look like torture devices but these seem like actual torture devices. 

• Love 2

Since the salons are closed, I’m about to get desperate enough to wax my own brows and upper lip. Can anyone recommend a particular user-friendly product? I’ve seen wax strips as well as little pots of wax that you heat in the microwave and apply with a little stick and then rip off. The wax strips don’t seem to get good reviews on Amazon. I appreciate any recommendations! 

• Love 1

@Spunkygal Honestly, I've gone back to tweezers over the last year or so. If you're maintaining your brows, it's easy to just go in and tweeze when you need to instead of making a whole project out of it. I think it looks more natural too because waxing can create a very harsh line.

I've let my upper lip go because I wear a mask when I go out. Watch a youtube video. It's very quick to learn how to do it, especially if you're doing your upper lip and don't have to be precise. As long as you have some sewing thread laying around, I'd recommend it. Though it's certainly not painless and it's hard to get the tiny baby hairs right at the end of your lips.

• Love 1
44 minutes ago, aradia22 said:

I've let my upper lip go because I wear a mask when I go out. Watch a youtube video. It's very quick to learn how to do it, especially if you're doing your upper lip and don't have to be precise. As long as you have some sewing thread laying around, I'd recommend it. Though it's certainly not painless and it's hard to get the tiny baby hairs right at the end of your lips.

Are you referring to threading? I’ve never tried it myself and I don’t need my upper lip done (knock wood), but in normal times I’ve been getting my brows threaded for almost 20 years. It looks more natural than waxing (and causes less pain) to me.

@caitmcg Sorry, yeah. I don't know how that happened. I think I edited out a sentence. 

Anyway, it's definitely possible to thread your own brows but I would practice first. It's a little finicky to figure out how to grab the right hair. I've been letting my brows grow out into a natural look so I prefer just tweezing the stragglers. 

• Love 1
On 4/6/2020 at 2:53 PM, Spunkygal said:

I’m about to get desperate enough to wax my own brows and upper lip.

Back in ye olden days when things like med spas existed (i.e. February), I would have dermaplaning done. The aesthetician uses a medical-grade blade to remove all the baby hair on the face. My face never feels smoother! And no, there's no stubble in regrowth. 

I do it at home, too, with a Tinkle razor and while the results are nowhere near as good, it does avoid having to use chemicals on skin to remove the upper lip hair. 

Here's a video:

9 minutes ago, MargeGunderson said:

@Spunkygal, I use a Panasonic facial trimmer for women that I bought off of Amazon. I do the full face shave every couple of weeks because I have so much peach fuzz. I prefer it to the Tinkle.

Did you ever think that someday you would post “I prefer it to the Tinkle”? 😂

• LOL 1