Type keyword(s) to search

NFL Thread

• Start Topic

That's weird. They showed a rerun last night during the Niners/Raiders game, but that game was shown here on both the Niners' and Raiders' respective networks. 

Tonight, we have the Jets/Giants currently double boxed with the Seahawks/Browns game. You're not missing much. 

AFAIK one will be fine with Red Zone sans Sunday Ticket.  I think several providers offer it in addition to a bunch of other channels for an additional 11.99 or whatever the price

Well, that punk ass bitch Jerry Jones finally wised up & gave Cee Dee Lamb that BIG money. 

Cee Dee Lamb has just signed a 4 yr contract for $136 Million with a $38 Million signing bonus & $100 Million guaranteed. 

Poooooooowwwwweeeeer.  Jerry doesn’t want anyone to forget who is in charge here.

Is there any team but Dallas, who if there were no salary cap, would just Dodger the hell out of signing people?

So the Browns kept all 4 QBs on roster, but are taking calls for Jameis & Tyler.

WHY The F did you sign Winston over Flacco then?  What was the fricking point?

Fans loved Flacco for the excitement he brought back to the game, for the connections with Amari and Njoku especially.

As much as I think Andrew Berry is a pretty good GM, the strings that Haslam pulls to make his golden boy Deshaun look good, tells me Berry won't stand up and do what's best for the team and the fans/city.

• Like 2

I mean, preferably, if he has to choose (and seriously, he should be forced to choose), hopefully he picks ownership rather than annoying me on a weekly basis.

• Like 6
  • LOL 1
30 minutes ago, mojoween said:

I mean, preferably, if he has to choose (and seriously, he should be forced to choose), hopefully he picks ownership rather than annoying me on a weekly basis.

Isn't this something he should have known?  I mean I knew this.

• Like 5
4 hours ago, mojoween said:

Can I choose neither? Maybe he enjoys fishing. 😀

• LOL 3
6 hours ago, Salacious Kitty said:

Can I choose neither? Maybe he enjoys fishing. 😀

Not sure even the fish or fishers want him

• LOL 3

Reading a book that Greeny wrote in 2023 and he said that Joe Montana is the last quarterback to have won a college national championship and the Super Bowl and that feels like only Joe Burrow (for now) is ever going to come close.

• Mind Blown 1

He is a human being with thoughts and feelings and all that, and if he could be like nearly all of the other billion people on this planet I have no direct knowledge of, that would be a-ok too.

• Like 2
  • Wink 1
  • LOL 3

You know what, that is fair enough.  And despite the nitpicking, that is still a tremendous statistic.

You'd have thought Manning won in the 90s, and given how it was more than impossible to an extent to get crowned in College Football, it makes sense that Joe Montana was the most recent that had more contribution to hoisting the ultimate prize on both levels.

I agree about Burrow though, and I don't know or think he's going to match 2021 again.  The other best bet, IMO, is Lawrence.  However, he's an AFC guy, and now there is someone in his division that may be among the best in that conference.

I have no faith in Tua, and while way too soon to have a thought on McCarthy, I don't think he's hoisting a Lombardi either.  Technically, you'd get someone new if the Rams won this year.

On 9/1/2024 at 5:17 PM, Carey said:

The other best bet, IMO, is Lawrence.  However, he's an AFC guy, and now there is someone in his division that may be among the best in that conference.

I completely disagree.  We've seen just a smidge of Trevor's college greatness and nothing makes me believe he will ever win the AFC, much less a SB.

I think that if Burrow can stay healthy (hopefully), he'd be the next prime candidate to win both.   Ain't no way cheating JJ McCarthy will ever win a SB.  And I highly doubt Bryce Young will come close to the Playoffs with his height issues.

• Useful 1
8 hours ago, roamyn said:

I completely disagree.  We've seen just a smidge of Trevor's college greatness and nothing makes me believe he will ever win the AFC, much less a SB.

I think that if Burrow can stay healthy (hopefully), he'd be the next prime candidate to win both.   Ain't no way cheating JJ McCarthy will ever win a SB.  And I highly doubt Bryce Young will come close to the Playoffs with his height issues.

To be fair, Trevor had 3 decent years in college.  To compare, Joe had one.  However, I actually respect 2018; that is rather underrated.  That's more than "just a smidge" to be honest.

I think we are actually on the same page, and not the other way for the most part.  We can agree to disagree about Lawrence being the only person besides Joe Cool to win both.  However, I did make note of the fact that it'll be tough to get out of the stacked AFC.  Not only that, I also made note of the fact that his own division will be difficult in and of itself.  Houston might be scarier than last year, and Indianapolis is such a wildcard.

While Burrow is the same bet, he has a better chance of getting hurt more times than the conference titles his team has earned over the past half century.  Unlike Trevor's situation, his division is brutal.  I'd like to see him succeed against another team from the same state, especially given the fact that the latter is much better than the ones he lost to earlier in the decade.

Whether Joe Burrow cashes or not, I will not be surprised with either outcome.  I can see him winning it all, but I can also see him retiring without ever returning to the big game.  That second part would be sad.  I'm not going to write off Trevor Lawrence, but I think he'd have a better shot with another team.  Jacksonville is a total joke.

As mentioned, we are on the same page for the most part.  At least more than not.  JJ McCarthy is not winning anything.  The only way Tua and Miami are finishing in the AFC East basement is due to the fact that there's another team in that division that resembles who they really are (all due respect to the first fifth of the 21st Century).  Meanwhile, similar to Bennett, the only way Bryce is getting an NFL championship ring is as a backup or as a player in a different, supporting role

• Like 2

I think the reason we don't see a lot of College National Champions QBs winning SBs is because teams winning Natties aren't always built around the QB. Those teams are loaded with talent at every position.  No matter how good the QB is if he doesn't have a team behind him they ain't going to the Championship.  On the other hand in the NFL most SB champions have elite QBs.  There are the exceptions like the Rams with Stafford but overall it's a superstar QB.

• Useful 1

New ownership, and Washington still can’t get out of its own way.  Dope.

Listening to Roger Goodell talk shows that international games aren’t going anywhere, and are actually going to expand.  Which seems like the point of this is to line Roger’s pockets, because going overseas (and south of the border) is dumb.  Once was a novelty, now it’s overkill.

• Like 3
1 hour ago, mojoween said:

Which seems like the point of this is to line Roger’s pockets, because going overseas (and south of the border) is dumb.  Once was a novelty, now it’s overkill.

Roger works for the owners.  He wouldn't be going for it if they weren't pocketing enough cash to outweigh losing a home game.

• Like 4

I don't usually watch the games played in other countries because they are usually teams I don't watch so I have to ask are they selling out the stadium at these games? I'm guessing these games are being shown on those countries tv stations so they must get a cut of the advertising dollars right?  It has to make the NFL money or they wouldn't do it I assume.

All the Taylor Swift talk is going to make me stabby especially since it’s a nationally televised game. I wish they just got over it and let someone cheer on her boyfriend in peace.

• Like 1

To be honest, I might be sad if TS had other plans one week from Sunday in the event the Cincinnati team that's humbled them in the past does the same thing

I guess the thing is that you never know when it comes to the NFL.  Sure it's 2 different seasons, but Detroit found a way to beat KC in that same venue.  Yes, the same team that basically got whacked by this team playing against the champs tonight

So close Ravens. I had to leave the room a few times when I figured out everyone but the Chiefs are going to be called for the new offensive illegal formation rule. I saw the Chiefs O line in the exact same position as Baltimore, but the Ravens would get the flags. Then no flag for an illegal timeout. Same old crap, new season. 

• Like 4

2023 regular season, KC was tied with Tennessee as 6th-most penalized team, but we small-market fans surely do enjoy the conventional wisdom that the scriptwriters would cheat on our behalf 🤣

And, because it simply cannot be said enough: Thanks for the draft pick, Bills!

• Like 3

No scriptwriters involved, but if you’re going to crack on illegal formation call it equally. I’m not the only one that noticed. Wonder how often it is going to be called the rest of the season. 

6 hours ago, voiceover said:

2023 regular season, KC was tied with Tennessee as 6th-most penalized team, but we small-market fans surely do enjoy the conventional wisdom that the scriptwriters would cheat on our behalf 🤣

Enjoy being in Cowboys and Brady-era Pats company.  The League is rigged in your favor because the corporate overlords want Patrick Mahomes in the Super Bowl.  More importantly, Swift and the Swifties along for the ride.

That's what every other team's fans are going to think, anyway.

We have all seen certain QBs and certain teams seemingly favored.  I watched the first quarter last night and the Ravens were being called for illegal procedure a lot.  I really wasn't paying attention so I don't know if the Chiefs were doing it too and not being called.   But the perception is going to be the refs are helping KC.  

And Bob Costa is saying the Chiefs are America's team?  Did we vote on this?  Nobody asked me if I thought they should be America's team.

• Like 4
  • Love 1

Kansas City might be the best team, but right now there's no way I'm ever calling an AFL franchise as America's Team.  Though I'd respect that opinion in lieu of calling the Dallas Cowboys America's Team.

As mentioned elsewhere, if there's ever a team that might be called that, it's the Green Bay Packers

(edited)

Saying any team is America’s team is stupid. Everyone has different opinions & like different teams.

Edited by Marley
  • Like 9
  • Fire 1
  • Applause 2

I have this nagging feeling that I'm going to forget that there's a game on tonight.  I've been looking for it (somewhat).  It's just that much of the thought this week was Chiefs/Ravens before the College Football weekend slate, followed by the first Sunday of meaningful football.  It'll be great, but chances are I'll definitely miss it

On 9/5/2024 at 10:34 AM, bluegirl147 said:

so I have to ask are they selling out the stadium at these games?

within minutes of going on sale.   Problem is, they are football fans, not necessarily fans of specific teams.   So you see a lot of jerseys in the stands of teams not in the game.    Although I understand a lot of Eagles fans traveled to Brazil for tonight;s game.   For which I deeply apologize to the people of Brazil.

As for the illegal formation, fine they were calling it harder on the Ravens than that Chiefs, but you know what?   LINE UP RIGHT.   After oh maybe the second call, you might want to be more careful where you are lining up.   The one Ravens guy was really far back, not just a smidge and HE KEEP LINING UP IN THE SAME SPOT.   Like dude, get a clue.

• Like 2

It seems every season for the first week or two there's some rule they want to emphasize, then they ease off.  Maybe it's offensive pass interference or roughing the QB.  This year it seems to be illegal formation.  Every OT in the league does this to some extent.  But when the official warns you, then throws the flag, perhaps consider changing where you line up.

• Like 3

To be fair, as it relates to everybody having different opinions and liking different teams?

After some thought, I don't think I've every come across some saying they like the Dallas Cowboys.  Sure everyone has their own fans, but in my opinion, I don't think the opinions toward the Dallas Cowboys are (all that) different