Type keyword(s) to search

NFL Thread

• Start Topic

Give him time.  Actually, if David Tepper had common sense, I'm surprised that he hasn't shut down Young for 2023.  It's not like you have position to dictate the top pick anyway.

Picks time!

For tonight's NFL game, I will be going with New England and the points. I have them winning outright, which means the Steelers lose. To be honest, I have the Steelers losing each of their next 5 games.

I haven't been perfect this year, so what I said may be included here.  I figure I'll be off a bit, where I'm wrong about 60% of the games to give Mike his .500 PLUS statistic.

Matchups & adjustments are a thing in the league; that's not changing, period.

Smells like a 6-4 score tonight.  Maybe not if 950 of the planet is pounding that under 30.  However, five safeties is a better bet than 35-31 in favor of the Pats or the Steelers

16 hours ago, mojoween said:

Pittsburgh and New England tonight!  Who’s excited?  Anyone?  Hello?  Where’s everyone going?

Literally forgot this was happening tonight until just now.

HOW did New England score 21 points? Someone please tell me. I know Pittsburgh is also onto it's backup QB of an already mediocre offense, but I wouldn't have bet on New England scoring 21 points against air.

• LOL 1
1 hour ago, Fukui San said:

Literally forgot this was happening tonight until just now.

HOW did New England score 21 points? Someone please tell me. I know Pittsburgh is also onto it's backup QB of an already mediocre offense, but I wouldn't have bet on New England scoring 21 points against air.

The reason why it happened is because Pittsburgh is more than a fraud, coupled with the fact their current culture is to emulate laziness when it comes to the worst of the worst.  Rather than blow out a bad team the game is either close or they're trailing, and there's a way to lose.  This is not new for the Steelers, it's at least a decade old.

Rather than address the issue, their coach spends more time coming up with clever phrases and takes advantage of the (fake) love from the media as if it's everybody but him. While you wouldn't want to fire someone, it's painful & there's nothing one can do if winning is replaced by a leader & the face that would prefer to look so good that it'll work if one's staff features YES people that are so damn inferior that you can deflect blame on someone else to where you were the genius in the organization, which is totally false.

However, it's not just the coach; the leadership isn't as epic & strong as the ones from earlier in the decade.  Not that it's fair, but it's a fact.  A chance to take advantage of a down year from the top teams, but they'd rather have their fans risk their lives hoping not to have a (fatal) heart attack while seeing whether Pittsburgh will win, lose, or get to the playoffs.  It's pretty sad.

Despite everything, it was an easy decision to go Pats +6.  I didn't expect 21 points, but I didn't think they needed it at all.  Whether it's Kenny or Mitch, there is NOTHING that shows that they're a threat period.  If something is scripted in the league, it's the fact that they find a way to finish .500 or better, but not to .600 annually.

10 hours ago, roamyn said:

@Carey are you sure you’re not talking abt the Panthers?  Cause that sounds exactly like them with the cow towing to Tepper and the back stabbing.

Nah.  I'm definitely talking about the Steelers.  Might as well refer to Carolina.  However, it's night & day; what's different between the Panthers and Pittsburgh (sorry for a pun if there was one)...I see Pittsburgh changing nothing.  Meanwhile, Carolina will, but they make the move way too early.  It wasn't working & the team has nobody, but out goes the coach.  The GM hasn't gone IDT.  Pittsburgh moves slower than dial up Internet.  Kenny getting hurt is now the worst thing that could happen to the team.  They'll way too loyal, cheap, and refuse to admit any mistakes.  If so, it takes 3-4 years at least.

Pickett getting hurt is bad, but only because TPTB will now say we haven't seen him in enough games with the new offensive leadership.  I guess that's an excuse, but the move to Eddie Faulkner & Mike Sullivan should have taken place 14 months ago.  By the time they hit on the offensive side, which is never, Watt, Heyward, will be done.  Minkah might be out as well.

As mentioned, I see them losing out, but it's frustrating because when they win early, they lose late, but last year, they lost early, and then they won late.  So they go nowhere.  Either no playoffs or one-and-done.  Affects the draft, as all the decent players will be gone before it's their turn.  Not that it matters anyway

It's maddening, but it is definitely no shocker.  I guess you have to factor in who they're playing (on Sunday), with the spin being that there isn't enough to move forward right now.

The last I heard, no charges were filed despite being in police custody.  So if that holds it's something he'll get nailed for at the start of 2024.  If it's worse, then he'd have a first class ticket to the Commissioners Exempt List

I’m going to have to dive in to the report about the suspended Kansas City wide receiver to see what’s different in his case vs. Von’s.

On the field, I heard a clip of Bryce Young lowlights and one of them I swear was called by Kevin Burkhardt, and I cannot fathom why FOX’s A-Team was calling a Carolina game.

(unrelated, but Kevin’s wiki says “Kevin Burkhardt, aka Lil’ Baby Kay Kay” and that’s hilarious)

• LOL 1

I guess FOX doesn't rank Kevin & Greg on the level of Joe & Troy as well as Pat & John.  Kevin is very good, and Greg is tremendous.  Pretty sad that they're probably going to mess that up, which was the plan before Greg even got the job.  They don't have to as much as they sorta have to.

It's still too soon for Miller, whereas Ross was already on the Commissioners Exempt List.  He had already pleaded guilty, and while the consequences lessened, there appears to be a conclusion.  So here comes the six-game suspension; as the time missed was only 5 games, he's not going to miss the remaining 4 plus their playoff game

• Like 1
15 hours ago, mojoween said:

On the field, I heard a clip of Bryce Young lowlights and one of them I swear was called by Kevin Burkhardt, and I cannot fathom  why FOX’s A-Team was calling a Carolina game.

Because I'm a nerd, I researched this, and it turns out it was week 11, and it's because the opponent was Dall-ass, and the other matchups on the network were not all that great, either. 

12 hours ago, Carey said:

Kevin is very good, and Greg is tremendous.  Pretty sad that they're probably going to mess that up, which was the plan before Greg even got the job. 

Agree 100%.  They are an excellent pairing.  Is it in TB12's contract that he has to be on the #1 team?  Or can they foist him off with some other poor play-by-play schlub who will have to relive Tom's glory days?

• Like 4

As much as it's unpopular to have TB12 boot Greg, I don't think I'd sign a petition to have him calling lower tier games.  Personally, I'd prefer a 3-man booth for 2024, and after that, who knows.  If I'm TPTB, there's no way I'd have the best player in the history of the sport (at his position) calling Carolina/Pittsburgh or Washington/Chicago.

Week 14 Picks: Cleveland, Houston, Atlanta, Cincinnati, Baltimore*, Chicago*, New Orleans, San Francisco, Minnesota, Denver*, Buffalo*, Dallas*, Tennessee*, New York* and BTW, I'm going under for totals over 40 and over for totals under 40

* Team covers

9 minutes ago, Carey said:

If I'm TPTB, there's no way I'd have the best player in the history of the sport (at his position) calling Carolina/Pittsburgh or Washington/Chicago.

We can argue about whether TB12 is GOAT, but what do his athletic achievements have to do with whether or not he's any good at analyzing the game for a television audience?  And so many viewers have strong feelings about him that his mere presence might overshadow the game he's trying to call.

I hate to keep reminding everyone that I'm old, but I remember when they tried putting HoF QBs like Johnny Unitas and Sonny Jurgensen into color commentator spots.  They were absolutely awful.  Johnny U was especially painful to hear.  Being a great QB doesn't automatically translate into a great analyst.

And I loathe three man booths.  They're always tripping over themselves to be heard, when what we generally really need are a few seconds of silence.

• Like 3
  • Applause 3

I hate 3 man booths too.  Maybe it's my dislike for too many people doing something or being somewhere, but I also loathe 2 sideline reporters for football games when one is enough.

People might hate me for the above as if I hated Frank, Don, and Howard.  Sure it was okay (even Frank, Al, and Dan) but you can say it was overrated.  2 people calling sports is good enough.

The 3- man thing was a way to work in Tom but keep Greg.  If that doesn't happen, we'll see if Kevin bolts as well (in protest for his friend).

But you're right about how it's possible he might suck.  If anything, it's just a splash move to have someone of that magnitude on the most important games.  I still wouldn't have him calling F level games, but ITA that he can be a turn off for several.

That gives me the opportunity to say that the real goat is Terry.  Well not really, but he's the only person (in the NFL) that had a successful career AND a successful run in sports media.  Too both to the next level. He doesn't call games but after nearly 40 years in the business, he's done something right

10 hours ago, Carey said:

Well not really, but he's the only person (in the NFL) that had a successful career AND a successful run in sports media.  Too both to the next level. He doesn't call games but after nearly 40 years in the business, he's done something right

I’ll take your Terry Bradshaw and raise you a Michael Strahan.  HoF, Super Bowl winner, in-studio host, game show host, GMA host.  The other week he was a judge on Dancing with the Stars.  And doesn’t do the dumb country boy schtick.  It’s a wonder that child has time to breathe.

• Like 10
1 hour ago, meowmommy said:

BTW, is it ethical or even legal to be calling NFL games if you’re a part owner of an NFL team, as Tom Brady is trying to become with the Raiders?  Seems like a crystal clear conflict of interest.

Great question. I've been wondering this myself.  That is a definite issue.  While certain greats get better breaks than most, that should make him immune as it relates to owning a team while calling games on television.

I'm sure people will try to compare this to Aikman & Romo calling Cowboys games, or on the collegiate level, Herbie calling Ohio State games.  Which is really isn't.  For one, you're not allowed to predict a game you're calling on television, and those guys have performed on a professional level.  They're critical and point out the positives & negatives as those occur.

So I guess I'll have optimism that he'll bow out on being the top guy in the future, or he'll have to concede any ownership for Vegas.

BTW, meowmommy, I was on the way toward disagreeing with you as it relates to Bradshaw vs Strahan.  First things first: nope.  No disagreement for me.  However, I do have to be "fair" here.  I'm probably going to pimp a guy that played for Pittsburgh before I pimp a guy that played for New York.  That's more probable than not, but slightly, especially in this case.

Terry has done this for 40 years.  Usually when you see someone shine on TV, they usually didn't have a great football career.  At least on TB12's level.  Examples include Bart Scott, Boomer, Romo, and Rex Ryan.  Then you look at those that shined but were either bad on TV or didn't go that route (Montana, Troy P, Emmitt).  Bradshaw may be the only one that's done the TV media thing for as long as he has, but following a great career (1st overall pick, 4X Super Bowl Champion, 2X Super Bowl MVP, an NFL MVP, and first ballot HOF).

That being said, Strahan, who, while hasn't been on TV as long & didn't win as much as Terry did, wins due to everything else he's doing.  It's really great TBH.  Unless I'm mistaken, he could hit the Emmy hat trick, which I can't recall taking place.  If y'all know someone that's done so, please let me know.  But Michael has definitely done a great job on NFL Fox, GMA, and the Pyramid

• Like 3
4 minutes ago, Carey said:

Terry has done this for 40 years.  Usually when you see someone shine on TV, they usually didn't have a great football career.  At least on TB12's level. 

My only quibble with what you said earlier was that Terry was the only one to have a great football career and a great TV career, and that's when I threw Michael into the mix. 

• Like 4
12 hours ago, meowmommy said:

Agree 100%.  They are an excellent pairing.  Is it in TB12's contract that he has to be on the #1 team?  Or can they foist him off with some other poor play-by-play schlub who will have to relive Tom's glory days?

12 hours ago, Carey said:

As much as it's unpopular to have TB12 boot Greg, I don't think I'd sign a petition to have him calling lower tier games.  Personally, I'd prefer a 3-man booth for 2024, and after that, who knows.  If I'm TPTB, there's no way I'd have the best player in the history of the sport (at his position) calling Carolina/Pittsburgh or Washington/Chicago.

I don't think it matters. I much rather TB12 shut the hell up, get lost, & stay lost till its time for him to enter the Hall of Fame. His commentary is going to be downright mediocre & absolute crap. And it won't be much fun tolerating his smug "Mr. Know It All" face while doing NFL commentary & sucking at it. 

As for the 1pm games today, I have to hope that it doesn't suck like last weeks games. The 4pm games is going to be tooth decay type fun. The Bills suck & will find a way to lose to the Chiefs, hopefully Stefon Diggs can keep his mouth shut after they lose, & Taylor Swift will probably show her face at Arrowhead again. Yay. 😒 Also, its a root for neither type of game.

As for tonight's game, the only thing that matters is the Cowboys losing & Jerry Jones having another terrible night sleep after the game. The Cowboys failing again against the Eagles will definitely put a smile on my face.

• Like 3
1 hour ago, Carey said:

Then you look at those that shined but were either bad on TV or didn't go that route (Montana, Troy P, Emmitt). 

Wasn’t Emmitt on NFL Countdown for several years?  Whether he was good at it or not is debatable, but I thought he was more than one-and-done.

1 hour ago, meowmommy said:

Terry has done this for 40 years.  Usually when you see someone shine on TV, they usually didn't have a great football career.  At least on TB12's level. 

And he needs to retire.  He's fast approaching Pete Rose mid 2000s range.

Personally I've always disliked Terry's Clown buffoon act on camera.  But he did play for Pissburgh and while that might color my eyes a but, I don't mind Boomer, who played with Cinci for so long.

• Like 2
2 minutes ago, roamyn said:

And he needs to retire.  He's fast approaching Pete Rose mid 2000s range.

Personally I've always disliked Terry's Clown buffoon act on camera.  But he did play for Pissburgh and while that might color my eyes a but, I don't mind Boomer, who played with Cinci for so long.

As mentioned, the post you replied to was from me.  I think a big overhaul is coming, likely after the 2024 season.  I think Terry might survive it, but while the product would become less than stellar, I think they'll be fine without Jimmy and Terry starting in 2025.

Boomer & his CInci days would be an excuse to affect my vision on him, that's actually reserved for Collinsworth.  Too bad the former and Al lacked Chemistry, that would've made for a much better MNF lineup than Miller and Fouts.  Though it's moot since Madden was available anyway.

To respond to mojoween about Emmitt, it wasn't one-and-done, but close enough.  He replaced Irvin two years before Millen replaced him on MNC

3 minutes ago, mojoween said:

WHAT is that logo at midfield in Cleveland?  It looks like a demonic Big Boy.

It is the Cleveland Brownie.  It was used as a logo by the team back in the glory days of the 50's and 60's and has had a resurgence in the past few years.  The current iteration at midfield has more of an angry expression than I remember from my childhood.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/34636773/who-brownie-elf-story-cleveland-browns-mascot

Edited by Notabug
  • Like 2
  • Useful 6

I think the Texans playoff hopes are done.  CJ’s lost all of his weapons except Noah Brown, at least for the next few games, and he might even be gone for the Titans next week.  why did the Jets decide this week to play?

Flacco might be the answer the Browns have been looking for all season at QB, despite throwing an INT and losing a fumble.

And are the Lions reverting back to the same old Lions?  They have played terribly this last half season.  Jared Goff looks like Rams-era Goff, the Defense can’t stop the run.

If Justin Fields keeps winning, might he have saved his job?  Personally I’d rather see him go to another team.  Maybe ATL, and get rid of the Bears organization stink.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Johannah said:

Y'all can get excited by TB12 calling games, I'm just waiting for Taylor Swift 's analytical debut.  

And... Go Ravens!

First things first: No rooting for the Ravens, but I can actually be thrilled for them & tip my cap if they win it all.  It's not like my team cares about winning, so fair enough

No excitement for TB12 calling games.  Saving it for Taylor Swift's on-field debut where she dumps Travis for losing to a team like Buffalo IN Arrowhead

• LOL 1

How the heck does Carolina have 204 rushing yards and the Saints have 207 total yards, but Carolina still loses badly 28-6?  How is that even possible?  This offense looks worse (from the so-called 'high' lights) than under Frank Reich.

deleted incorrect information

Edited by roamyn

San Francisco is the first of 14 teams headed into the playoffs, while Carolina & New England were the first & second teams booted from playoff contention.  I think Philadelphia will officially be the 2nd team if all goes well tonight.

Meanwhile, Pittsburgh is currently in sixth place.  WHA?

The entire AFC North are currently in the playoff picture. That should be the case regardless of what happens with Denver/Los Angeles AND Buffalo/Kansas City

Jim and Tony are so focused on whether KC will be playing their playoff games at home and if they can bypass Miami and Baltimore.  They might want to think about whether KC -- now only a game ahead of Denver -- will even win their division.

• Like 4
13 minutes ago, meowmommy said:

Jim and Tony are so focused on whether KC will be playing their playoff games at home and if they can bypass Miami and Baltimore.  They might want to think about whether KC -- now only a game ahead of Denver -- will even win their division.

For what it's worth, Kansas CIty did earn the right to play every playoff game at Arrowhead since 2016...with some help.  They haven't played on the road since a close game in Foxborough following an 11th game win streak that was preceded by a start that has gotten a fleet of people fired before Week 7 started in the league's history.

Speaking of which, one reason to dislike Thursday Night Football is the fact that more and more teams are getting a benefit of extra rest over another team.  This is the second consecutive opponent KC has to face that's coming off of extra rest.  Who knows what to expect from New England, but I don't think KC is in trouble right now.  As long as they don't lose to LA and/or Vegas, they should be okay.  It should come down to that game featuring Detroit and Denver.  If the Broncos win, then that's a second win over a team Kansas City lost to.  Fortunately for the champs, they didn't allow 70 points to Miami AND they toppled the Jets at MetLife.

Finally, Kansas City's conference record is much more superior to Denver's.  However, they must have a superior common record or the same one against the Broncos before that comes into play

1 minute ago, Carey said:

Finally, Kansas City's conference record is much more superior to Denver's.  However, they must have a superior common record or the same one against the Broncos before that comes into play

I didn't say they won't win their division.  They probably will.  But they are not the shoo-in they might have seemed a few weeks ago, and they need to think about that.  I had looked at the schedule, too, before I made my comment.  Today was proof, if anyone needed it, that any given team can beat any other given team on any given Sunday (Monday, Saturday, Thursday)...

3 minutes ago, Carey said:

Speaking of which, one reason to dislike Thursday Night Football

There are so, so many reasons not to like TNF.  I even have Amazon Prime and I rarely watch the Thursday game.

1 hour ago, mojoween said:

Starting to think that San Francisco has a temper problem … 

Dammit Minnesota, you ruined everything.

What did Minnesota do besides win the game with a hockey score? (3-0)

• Sad 1
1 minute ago, Lamb18 said:

I think "deciding to score" before the end of regulation after not doing so at all other point in a sixty-minute football game was a moment of "aww shucks'!

12 minutes ago, meowmommy said:

I didn't say they won't win their division.  They probably will.  But they are not the shoo-in they might have seemed a few weeks ago, and they need to think about that.  I had looked at the schedule, too, before I made my comment.  Today was proof, if anyone needed it, that any given team can beat any other given team on any given Sunday (Monday, Saturday, Thursday)...

My fault.  I didn't intend to make you think that that's what you said.  I actually agree with the statement myself.  I think they'll find a way to win the AFC West, but you are totally spot on; they'll have to earn it down the stretch unlike in past years.  Who would've thought that Denver of all teams would be the team that could catch them?  I knew with Payton's arrival they would be pretty good, but so soon.  IDK.  They didn't look great at the start.  As mentioned, no one ever knows; anything can happen.

I almost forgot to mention the Bengals.  That was a game I'd check off as a loss before Burrow went down.  However, they've looked pretty good as of late, so that isn't going to be an easy game.  Again, another team with extra rest for the Chiefs (albeit one day)

8 minutes ago, Lamb18 said:

A 0-0 tie was in play and as someone with no skin in that game that would have been very funny.

OMG.  Fuuuuuuuuuuck Dallas.

• Like 4

It would have been funny but I'm happy that we're 7-6. I kind of hope we don't make the playoffs because I think we will lose the first game, so what's the point. Unless we suddenly start playing better.

Eagles need to pick things up. The only reason I want them to win is because they're playing Dallas.

• Like 3
2 hours ago, meowmommy said:

Tom Brady had three 300+ passing yard/3 TD games just last season, at age 44.

I just posted based on a CBS spors statistic.  If it's wrong, then they're telegraphing incorrect information.

ETA:   It's oldest Browns QBs.  Sorry for the misunderstanding.

Edited by roamyn

If I had a nickel for every time the Chiefs complained bitterly about the refs correctly calling a Chiefs player for lining up offside invalidating a game swinging play, I would have two nickels. Which isn't that much, but it's weird that it happened twice.

• Like 5
  • LOL 1