Type keyword(s) to search

Castle Game Thread: Eliminations And More!

Very tough decision, I went back and forth between Always and Still, and finally went with Still since that is the First time Both Leads say I love You in the same episode and Gates as a Shipper blew my mind.  The fact that it was a bubble episode and captured a lot of good scenes from earlier also pushed me to my final answer __________     Still

One from each season...oh that's another tough one up to S4 at least after that it gets easier I have to say.

S1 - Flowers For Your Grave (without this I would never have got hooked in the first place)

S2 - Sucker Punch (when the mombatross drama was gripping)

S3 - The Final Nail (if they want to do Castle centric this is how you do it writers)

S4 - Cops & Robbers (I could watch their faces when she releases him over and over again, never get sick of it)

S5 - Still (who would have thought a bottle episode could be so good, this was the S5 finale lol)

S6 - No 1 Fan (Veritas runs it close but N1F is everything a fun episode of Castle should be about)

S7 - Clear and Present Danger (felt like old school Castle and Stana and Nathan genuinely seemed to be enjoying themselves)

• Love 1

Argh---I'm not sure I can answer my own question. What sadist made this so tough?! (Oh, right...it was me ::) 

S1: Flowers for Your Grave 

S2: The Double Down (I get that it's probably not the 'best' episode, but I just happen to enjoy it tremendously and find it eminently rewatchable!) 

S3: One Life to Lose (Castle at its energetic, engaging, infectiously fun, gently satirical best---and I'm a big Corbin Bernsen fan) (Runner up: Poof! You're Dead...)

S4: Always 

S5: Still (though The Lives of Others, Murder He Wrote and The Final Frontier were surprisingly close!) 

S6: Number One Fan (what verdana said!) 

S7: Once Upon a Time in the West (Runner up: The Time of Our Lives) 

...somehow writing this list made me feel like I now have fewer all-time favorites from S2 and S3 than I thought I did and that I like S4, S5 and even S7 more than I had thought 

My Elim Game votes: Last Call and Nikki Heat 

• Love 1

He's Dead, She's Dead
Nikki Heat

Had to think about this one

s1: Flowers for Your Grave - the chemistry is amazing 

s2: Vampire Weekend - Castle gets to be a responsible dad, learn more about Ryan's dating life, Lanie does more than talk about the corpse, costumes, babysitting the egg & Dr. Holloway's reaction

s3: To Live and Die in LA - justice for Royce, Roach actors and use of the set, the guest stars, lulzyness of using touristy Santa Monica Pier

s4: Cops and Robbers - the guest stars, Espo calling Ryan Castle Jr, Castle's cleverness to get messages to Beckett, the looks between them in the vault

s5: Still  - best use of clips in a show, the I love yous, the cute beginning scene in bed

s6: Number One Fan - the guest stars, Beckett being really worried every time Castle went in the office, an old haunt mention

s7: Once Upon a Time in the West - undercover honeymoon operation, the western outfits, lit better than most eps, sweetness of having his and hers six shooters, homage to other western shows

Edited by turnitwayup

Ha---Tim, you get to pick one from each of the seven seasons, so both Always AND Still can make the list :) 

My Bad!! and Thanks

S1  Little Girl Lost -  We see the dynamics of Castle outside of the 9yr on a sugar rush

S2   A Deadly Game -  followed by The Fifth Bullet and A Rose for Everafter   Being a Guy I was glad to see Castle go with Option B after Demming 

S3  Knockout followed by To Live and Love in LA

S4  Always - Close Second Undead Again, Castle grows a set enough to leave after the lie

S5  Still -  Honorable Mention to The Wild Rover and Probable Cause Stana deserved an Emmy for her scene with Lanie tears and eyes

S6  The Good, The Bad, The Baby - Runner Up #1 Fan and Smells like Teen Spirit because of the kiss scene at end

S7  Last Action Hero only because I LOVE Krista Allen - The rest of the season made me cancel my order for DVDs    

YOMV and Thanks for listening

• Love 1

Episodes I would save:

S1 - Flowers for Your Grave

S2 - Third Man

S3 - Knockdown

S4 - Cops & Robbers

S5 - Murder He Wrote

S6 - i have a 3-way tie:

That 70s Show (because it's such a campy spoof of my beloved Starsky & Hutch

Wild Rover because Seamus is amazing

Under Fire because I like that Ryan & Esposito get center stage

S7 - Time of Their Lives

• Love 1

A Deadly Affair
Under the Gun
3Xk
Close Encounters of the Murderous Kind
Nikki Heat
Poof! You're Dead
Knockdown
The Final Nail
One Life to Lose
To Love and Die in LA
Knockout

He's Dead, She's Dead and Last Call are history, and the next round is open! We're still voting against two... :) 

I'll go with (against!) Nikki Heat and Knockout, which is objectively a really good episode but just not one that I enjoy watching over and over.

And today's fun time wasting poll: if you could get rid of just one episode from each of the seven seasons, which seven would you pick?!

Close Encounters of the Murderous Kind

One Life to Lose 

On  my good riddance list: 

s1 - Hedge Fund Homeboys
s2 - Suicide Squeeze
s3 - Slice of Death
s4 - The Limey - Jacinda in the Ferrari, Castle in that horrible lizard skin jacket, Beckett acting bizarrely clueless about Castle, Rick's ultra douchey brush off at the end and Colin Hunt's awful "Brit" accent. 
s5 - The Squab and the Quail - surely up there on most people's "worst episodes evah" lists.
s6 - Like Father, Like Daughter - Alexis being insufferable, Castle can't find his balls. 
s7 - Sleeper - utter garbage which made things worse not better which was appropriate for this particular Castle "mythology".

Edited by verdana
  • Love 1

I'll go with (against!) Nikki Heat and Knockout, which is objectively a really good episode but just not one that I enjoy watching over and over.

And today's fun time wasting poll: if you could get rid of just one episode from each of the seven seasons, which seven would you pick?!

S 1  Hell Hath No Furry

S 2  Overkill  Would never had introduced Demming in the first place

S 3  Close Encounters of the Murderous Kind Lyle Loffitt was a Joke as an actor

S 4  Headhunters Sorry know Baldwin is NF Friend but this episode is only 2nd to TSATQ in Stink Power IMO

S 5  The Squab and the Quail aka Pidgeon The only UNFORGIVABLE episode so far IMO

S 6   For Better or Worse and most of the fans thought it was the Worst episode on the series

S 7   Clear and Present Danger, Thought Oh God here goes Dynasty series all over again

YOMV  Thanks for listening

3Xk
Poof! You're Dead
Knockdown
The Final Nail
One Life to Lose
To Love and Die in LA
Knockout

A Deadly Affair and Under the Gun are our latest casualties, and the next round is open :) We're still voting against two (We switch to voting against just one when only five episodes remain!) 

I honestly thought I ended this hours ago, but it turns out I was too "busy" rewatching various Castle scenes on youtube. (I think I'm trying to solve the mystery of how someone like me, who generally can't stand guys who are incredibly cocky, smarmy and/or immature, finds S1 Castle so genuinely charming, attractive and even endearing. He was just so passionate and enthusiastic and so very ALIVE back then...not to mention at his most physically appealing. And some of the arrogance is mitigated by the fact that Castle doesn't actually seem to take himself that seriously--he's not so much truly buying into his own hype about how wonderful he is as half-winking at us while deciding to enjoy the ride. Plus, we see from the outset that he's capable of seriousness and emotional depth. And---okay, I swear I had a point here, but I'm too busy grinning at screencaps and youtube videos to recall it!) 

Edited by amensisterfriend

Oh, and today's poll question: which season did you most change your mind about, i.e. one that used to love but then became kind of 'meh' on or used to be kind of meh on but grew to love with the passage of time and repeated viewings?! Mine: S1. I had dismissed it for a variety of reasons, but after recently rewatching it I just love it for so very many reasons and might even rank it just behind S3 as my very favorite :) 

Season 3 - I stopped watching the show during this season for long periods I was that fed up with various things but now it's one of my favourites with so many episodes that I've come to enjoy. 

amensisterfriend. If you solve the mystery let me know, as well as his sparky energy and sheer charisma, I think the hotness factor helped too. Jesus I'd have pounced on him back in those days in the blink of an eye, he wouldn't have had to worry about using any seduction techniques lol. 

3XK 

One Life to Lose

• Love 1

This thread is cool but I don't participate because I'm absolutely terrible remembering episode names, especially earlier seasons even though those were my favourite.  Venturing in because I'm curious to know how people would rank the premieres over the seasons since the S8 premiere will be upon us soon, and we can have a measuring stick for comparison.

The best premieres in my mind would be the pilot and then 201.  Probably followed by 301 even though I always thought it strange that they started the season with Beckett all mad at Castle.  That ranking is in line with what I consider to be the best seasons as well.  After that, it gets murkier since it's been a while since I've watched some of those premieres and there were things that I remember were hit and miss for me in them as the show got more uneven.    501 gave us the morning after, but it's a bit of whether the glass is half full or half empty for me.  Glad we got to see it, but it could have been so much more.  An ongoing theme for all the subsequent seasons of Caskett together, I would say.  401 had some real emotion in the aftermath of Beckett's shooting, but it also marked the beginning of the stupid arc of them keeping secrets from each other.  601 wasn't bad from what I remember.  Terrible proposal improved with a bit of a re-do 2nd half, thankfully, and I thought the DC arc was fine.  Didn't wow me but nor was it terrible like people said it would be and Caskett was together a fair amount.  701 would probably rank bottom for me of all the premieres because I thought they hit all the wrong emotional notes with Beckett and the boys piling doubt on Castle, and the wrong mythology (ugh) notes with all those convoluted clues about Castle's disappearance.  And of course, we would still get no wedding after all that time.

One thing's that different about 801 is that it's a season opener that doesn't have to resolve much from the previous finale.  Other than Beckett's job decision but there doesn't seem to be much to resolve there.  A fresher start gives them more room for unburdened story, but it does look like they're turning to the past again for their new stories.

• Love 1

Hmmm, good question, madmaverick.

I liked 101 best because it set the tone.

Then, I'd put them as follows:

701 - I didn't mind this one, it was the season ender that was bad.

Edited by roamyn
  • Love 1
venturing in because I'm curious to know how people would rank the premieres over the seasons since the S8 premiere will be upon us soon, and we can have a measuring stick for comparison.

Yay---please venture in more often! I love when someone other than me asks Castle-related questions that I spend way too much time pondering :) 

Like everyone else who has chimed in so far, 1.1 is my favorite. Actually, it's not even a close call for me. I absolutely LOVE Flowers for Your Grave---it's not just my favorite premiere, but one of my very favorite and most rewatchable episodes of the whole series.

I think my rankings would go: 1.1, 3.1, 5.1, 2.1, 7.1, 4.1 and 6.1...which, interestingly, is not too different from how I'd rank my enjoyment of the seasons overall.  Overall, though, I'm surprisingly 'eh' on a lot of Castle season premieres and less than enthused about most of the season finales. As mentioned elsewhere, I tend to like the more charming, witty, joyful mysteries of the week over the 'time to raise the stakes', more (melo)dramatic and bigger scope episodes we often get at the very beginning and end of the seasons. 

Edited by amensisterfriend
  • Love 1

To Live and Die in LA 

Premieres

1.01 - perfect pilot 

Then after that meh. 5.01 was really enjoyable in some ways but like madmaverick said it could have been so much more, as soon as Martha came in and interrupted their kiss in the bedroom that was a sign of things to come. 

Edited by verdana

I'll cast my vote against To Love and Die (though I love that episode!), and we're officially down t our fabulous final four. 

Poof! You're Dead
Knockdown
The Final Nail
Knockout

Meanwhile, today's poll question: What were some of your favorite Alexis/Castle moments of the series? (And why do I sense that most of these will come from S1-S3?!) 

Knockdown

Best Castle/Alexis?

When Castle rescued Alexis from Volkov.

Alexis's HS graduation. He was do proud of her.

When she didn't get into early admission at Stanford. He couldn't take away her pain, and rather than try and reason with her, he let her go thru the motions and discover on her own that you don't always get what you want, when you want it.

The worst? When Castle acted like an ass at her & Pi's place. She was absolutely in the right.

The Final Nail (again)

Best Castle/Alexis

When Alexis came home from her first date and/or prom and Castle watched secretly, but closed his eyes when her date kissed her.  I thought it was really sweet.

Just for fun, worst is when Castle went to her apartment to apologize about Pi and she compared their relationship to his and Beckett's.