Type keyword(s) to search

Becky Burgess: More Powerful Than A Locomotive. (Or A Tram, At Least)

Assuming she survives eviction tonight, I still give Becky a very good chance of going far in the game.  I think she's playing intelligently, although her emotional behavior this week may indicate she can't keep herself in check forever.  In fairness, though, she lost three comps in less than 48 hours and was reproaching herself for volunteering to go on the block.  But this will probably be helpful in keeping a target off of her back for the next couple of evictions.  Vanessa's choosing her for the food reward probably bespeaks good relations with that side of the house.

I still would like to know more about the animosity between her and Steve, though.  They're two of my favorite non-twin HGs, so I'm somewhat sad that they, apparently, have issues.  We'll see…maybe.

And how they didn't use Becky as a hook to have Amy Schumer do a Trainwreck-themed "takeover", I'll never know.  Or at least (as I semi-referenced with the title) the girl (Melissa Benoist) starring in the new Supergirl show.  Really falling down on the cross-promotion opportunities, folks.  Oh, well.

I still would like to know more about the animosity between [becky] and Steve, though.  They're two of my favorite non-twin HGs, so I'm somewhat sad that they, apparently, have issues.  We'll see…maybe.

Same here.

It may be a psychological "residual" from her accident, a simple association with the fashion emphases of her chosen profession, or a combination of the two - but I get the distinct impression Becky is VERY VERY image-conscious regarding looks and appearance, and extremely critical of anyone who is not. Whereas in contrast on this topic, I think Steve is barely conscious at all. :)

• Love 3
(edited)

This chick is seriously the most non-entity in the house.  When she got thrown up as a pawn the first time, I could not for the life of me remember anything about her.  What's more, LordRott and LordRottJr couldn't tell me anything about her either and those two obsessed with BB.  I STILL don't remember her backstory, although I gather from her comments in the squirrel comp that she is some type of soccer player or something

Edited by ladyrott
  • Love 1

Does anyone think Becky might be suffering some type of trauma from being hit by the train that could be affecting her judgement.

I don't know i just throwing this out here. CBS doesn't care but hopeful her parents are watching the live feeds and might see things may not be right with there daughter.

Does anyone think Becky might be suffering some type of trauma from being hit by the train that could be affecting her judgement.

I don't know i just throwing this out here. CBS doesn't care but hopeful her parents are watching the live feeds and might see things may not be right with there daughter.

• other than maybe a little snobbishness and narcissism, I haven't noticed any particularly deviant behavior out of Becky - and I'd be willing to bet those characteristics would be common to all serious BB applicants. ;)
  • I'd be more than a little worried about someone whose views on life didn't change to some degree after being tramsmacked.
  • Love 1

I STILL don't remember her backstory, although I gather from her comments in the squirrel comp that she is some type of soccer player or something

She mentioned soccer as one of her interests on her pre-show questionnaire, but I went a-Googling, looking for information on her college or beyond career, and all I could come up with is that she coaches a youth team.  Details are seriously missing.  I know more about her dating preferences than I do her athletic background.  It really doesn't seem as though she did a lot of press, pre-show.

Same here.

It may be a psychological "residual" from her accident, a simple association with the fashion emphases of her chosen profession, or a combination of the two - but I get the distinct impression Becky is VERY VERY image-conscious regarding looks and appearance, and extremely critical of anyone who is not. Whereas in contrast on this topic, I think Steve is barely conscious at all. :)

I only watch the show itself but to me she seems laid back about her image.  Does she wear any makeup at all?  She always looks so splotchy and unadorned compared to the other females, and I can't place anything's she's worn in memory, unlike some of the others girls' showy outfits.  I'm sure with more info you can see an entirely different person, though.  

From the show's bio page about Becky: 

On the outside, Becky is the "All American" girl next door who the men will fall in love with and the girls will want to befriend, but inside she's a strategic and aggressive competitor they should fear. Having grown up in Denver, she's always been athletic and outdoorsy. She's not afraid to get dirty and has been known to out-climb her dates while hiking 14,000-foot mountains in Colorado. She knows her looks give her an edge in life but doesn't rely on them because she's the total package.

Did anyone here used to visit the old TWoP ANTM forums? We used to use the word "Becky" to refer to a contestant who didn't contribute anything to the show. Eventually, she would be eliminated and no one would notice.

• Love 1

Does anyone know the circumstances behind Becky getting hit by a train? What was she even doing on (or near) train tracks? And how did she survive?

I've heard that people risk their lives trying to take selfies in front of a moving train, and just wondering if she was stupid enough to try that.

This post from the feeds thread explains the 'hit by a train' situation.

The confusion comes from the fact that she was hit by a TRAM, not a train, But trams are basically trains, so people just say "train," Becky included. She was, indeed, hit directly in the face by the tram. She was sticking her head out around a truck to see if the tram was coming (so her view of the tram was blocked) and it hit her in the face. She was in Germany at the time managing a Hollister there. The tram driver went into shock after it, so it was pretty hardcore stuff. But while trams are LIKE trains (they run on tracks, etc.) they obviously don't move with the same force, so getting hit by one is not automatically fatal. It's more like getting hit by a car - it's not GOOD, but it's not necessarily fatal.

• Love 3

One of the things that keeps me from liking Becky, is how convinced she is that everything that's "hers" is superior. For instance:

Germany is superior to all European countries, and probably the U.S. as well. Germany's healthcare is cheaper and better than ours. Germany's trains are so much better than those smelly French.

A & F is only frequented by "the good looking people". Not only that, but struggling workers are sent to be trained by Becky, and when she's finished with them, they are automatically assistant manager material.

Her city in Colorado (Denver?) only allows healthy franchises. McDonalds and Taco Bell go to the poor fat areas.

Becky was hit in the face with a train. But she only missed six weeks of work, and she looks like this with no plastic surgery.

These are things off the top of my head. I'm pretty sure that her apartment is the best in the city, but I blocked out the story.

• Love 6

One of the things that keeps me from liking Becky, is how convinced she is that everything that's "hers" is superior. For instance:

Germany is superior to all European countries, and probably the U.S. as well. Germany's healthcare is cheaper and better than ours. Germany's trains are so much better than those smelly French.

A & F is only frequented by "the good looking people". Not only that, but struggling workers are sent to be trained by Becky, and when she's finished with them, they are automatically assistant manager material.

Her city in Colorado (Denver?) only allows healthy franchises. McDonalds and Taco Bell go to the poor fat areas.

Becky was hit in the face with a train. But she only missed six weeks of work, and she looks like this with no plastic surgery.

These are things off the top of my head. I'm pretty sure that her apartment is the best in the city, but I blocked out the story.

Dining options at the Cherry Creek Shopping Center, home to the Denver branch of Abercrombie.  Yes, no McDonalds, and there is a Fresh & Healthy, but not exactly blowing me away with the awesomely healthy cuisine there.

And why shouldn't she have had plastic surgery?  It was free in Germany, right?  Doesn't seem as though it would be that difficult to thin out that bump in her lip or to deal with the vertical line above it.  It's not as though she's morally opposed to cosmetic procedures, as Basic Becky's Bolt-on Boobs attest.

Still, it's her choice.  Now back to Folding Shirts, with Basic Becky.  Brought to you by Sominex™.  If Becky can't put you to sleep, Sominex can.  (Maybe.)

And her practically spitting in Vanessa's face after the backdoor was just stupid.  Contrast this with the polite conversation Vanessa has with Jason in 17.17, after his backdooring and then consider:

•  Becky knew that Vanessa (if evicted) was going to be on Jury; Vanessa knew Jason was headed straight back to Swansea.  Yet it's Becky who can't even feign civility.

• Becky knew that Vanessa (even if evicted) might return to the game.  Vanessa knew that Jason's fate would be final.

• Becky's preliminary vote count was 4-4, with her breaking the tie.  Vanessa's was 7-2 or at worst 6-3, and James/Meg/Jackie had already pledged their votes to Becky.  Granted that in either case the opposing side might collapse and "go with the House", but Vanessa only really needed to flip one vote to stay, whereas Jason needed to flip two or three or all five, depending on how committed one viewed James/Meg/Jackie to keeping Becky.  (I think that Jackie was originally on Becky's side, so Jason needed three new votes.  He got one in Jackie, then released her to go back and stay on Becky's good side.)  And yet it's Becky who was the walking epitome of hubris.  Way to go, Trainiac.  Sheesh.

• Love 3

Her calling it a train kind of rubs me wrong but I'm sure BB asked her to.  I wonder if they also asked her not to mention that she was cited for the accident, because the authorities said it was her fault.  

That Instagram pic of her '12 days later' if true is kind of odd.  She looked better then than now.  I see zero sign of injury in that photo but she has a lot of makeup on. 

It is obvious the caption of that photo is a mistake.

She said she had some necessary reconstruction done to her face after the accident. Her upper teeth tore through her lip for so that had to be fixed for example. She just opted out of comestic surgery that wasn't neccessary, hence the visible scars.

While her HOH was fan watch, she handled the aftermath of POV poorly. She overestimated her "team's" loyalty and underestimated James' need to rid of Shelli.

She has since conceded that she lost the game the moment she failed to evict Vanessa. She's just playing along right now but she knows exactly when it went to shit.

• Love 1

While her HOH was fan watch, she handled the aftermath of POV poorly. She overestimated her "team's" loyalty and underestimated James' need to rid of Shelli.

She has since conceded that she lost the game the moment she failed to evict Vanessa. She's just playing along right now but she knows exactly when it went to shit.

It wasn't just that she failed to evict Vanessa, though. She literally refused to speak to Vanessa, and couldn't keep Vanessa's name out of her mouth all week when talking to others. That's just poor jury management, but more importantly this is someone who might return to the game. Contrast with James' HOH: he puts up Clay and Shelli after explicitly breaking a deal he made with them just hours earlier and yet not only is he still standing, but virtually all of Clelli's allies want Becky gone before James - even though he was arguably responsible for BOTH of their evictions (Meg would have voted however he told her to, and he and Meg were the ones to go to Austwins about flipping the vote from Vanessa to Shelli). To add to that, James has won more comps than Becky and has a much better social game. Camo boy is a HUGE endgame threat, yet he's backburner-ed and will probably stay if he's on the block next to anyone but Meg and MAYBE Steve at this point.  

Point being, Becky may know she's toast, but she certainly didn't have to be. And she hilariously blames Vanessa and only Vanessa for her fate. The reality is, spilling info to Clelli during James' HOH (not subtly either) and then going all power hungry and refusing to talk to Vanessa/listen to ANYONE at all when she was HOH sunk her. Had she remained Basic (Invisible) Becky, even having won that HOH, James and JMac (not to mention Vanessa, and maybe even an Austwin or two) would all likely be leaving before her. I just think it's hilarious that in Becky's mind Vanessa is responsible for literally EVERYTHING. In reality, absolutely no one trusts Vanessa, but apparently she still has the power to manipulate everyone and everything. I guess she made Steve win HOH by accident, and she had a gun to Liz's head for noms this week (even though Liz threw Becky's name out before Vanessa did and Austwins talked of wanting Becky and JMac as noms when planning ahead last week). Hell, Vanessa didn't even save HERSELF - Austwins and Goblins did. Soon Becky's going to say it's Vanessa's fault that damn train hit her. 

Edited by yankee1151
  • Love 3

Quoting the first post in the thread, by one of my favorite posters ;)

Assuming she survives eviction tonight, I still give Becky a very good chance of going far in the game.  I think she's playing intelligently, although her emotional behavior this week may indicate she can't keep herself in check forever.  

Less than three weeks ago…geez, where did that Becky go?  I'll give myself a small pat for noticing Becky's burgeoning emotional play, but I certainly didn't see anything like this coming.  No more than Becky saw… [obvious joke omitted]

• Love 2

It is obvious the caption of that photo is a mistake.

She said she had some necessary reconstruction done to her face after the accident. Her upper teeth tore through her lip for so that had to be fixed for example. She just opted out of comestic surgery that wasn't neccessary, hence the visible scars.

How is it obvious it's a mistake?  Why would she post a close up of her face and accidentally label it "12 days later", and "#solucky", and leave it there for over a year?  She looks like that in all her pics.  

I don't think the things she's said on the show prove she's not exaggerating the whole thing.  No cosmetic surgery is necessary.  If it was it wouldn't be called cosmetic.  

So there was a bit of a debate in the episode thread about Liz's academic credentials.  (Even though, for purposes of BB, such things are rather…academic, anyhow.)  Did she only have that one semester of a 3.52 GPA, earning the Dean's List honors, and her BB bio has exaggerated it into an overall "cume" of the same and given her cum laude status which she didn't actually earn?  (Do the people who write the bios even know what the cum laude standards are at Loyola-New Orleans?)  Did Liz, er, "exaggerate" for purposes of her interview (hey, it's practice for the game, right?) but she was afraid to do the same on her LinkedIn page, which doesn't list the cum laude honors, because that's for professional purposes?

Or did Liz in fact graduate with the honors but she didn't want to overload her LinkedIn by going on and on about every little thing?  Don't know.

What I do know is that this brings us to Becky (or rather, "Rebecca"), who was clearly under no such compunctions.  Enjoy a healthy dose of "STFU, Becky!", as I present her LinkedIn Summary:

I am a dynamic and competitive sales manager that is goal driven and constantly produces results. My strengths include sales, business analysis, and management. I am currently seeking a new position that will allow me to apply these strengths.

After completing college with a degree in finance and economics, I had a relentless passion to run a business in a foreign country. In order to achieve this goal, I had to focus on the local Denver market first. I oversaw and operated several store locations. Upon arrival, each store was initially not meeting its sales plans. I was able to improve each store by:

1) Analyzing past business trends and identifying the store specific opportunities
2) Recruit, hire, train the right managers and associates for the positions
3) Adjusting business needs to overcome internal/external, and economical obstacles
4) Understand my customers needs based on the specific market

After following these four steps, I was able to increase sales by 10-25% in comparison to the prior years sales. After succeeding in the Denver market, I was selected by corporate to open the largest location in Munich, Germany.

Upon arriving in Munich, I submerged myself in the German culture by learning the language, customs, and studying their markets. The location opened in May of 2013 and proved to be incredibly successful. Buying power was strong in Munich and the store ran at optimal efficiency with the right individuals and training. After promoting local managers, I completed my contract in Germany and have returned to Denver where I currently reside.

"Also, there was this train…"

Yeah, Basic Becky wasn't just interested in a post-grad equivalent to that semester abroad she never had, nope!  She had a relentless passion!  When she was training managers at the Denver-area branches of The Buckle, Hollister, Victoria's Secret, and Abercrombie, all she was thinking was "Germany, Germany, Germany…"  (Or "Deutschland, Deutschland, über alles, über alles im die welt…")  That's our Rebecca!  Relentless Passion…damn, that sounds like the name of a collection at VS, now that I think about it.

Well, while her Relentless Passion may not have extended to proof-reading that summary before she posted it (I particularly enjoy the on-again/off-again gerunds…perhaps she thinks grammar is only for nerds?), she did at least get her year in Germany, so that's something.  And if she wins the $500K, she'll never have to worry about "economical obstacles" again.  

• Love 2

Upon arriving in Munich, I submerged myself in the German culture by learning the language, customs, studying their markets…

"…and merging with a train."

However, if she able to back up those claims with sales results, it is a very impressive résumé. A bit pompous when it comes to the Germany section, but still impressive.

There, I've said something nice about Becky this week, so I can check that off my list with 100% of my goals met. An unheard of achievement!

Edited by Kris117
  • Love 2

Well, while her Relentless Passion may not have extended to proof-reading that summary before she posted it (I particularly enjoy the on-again/off-again gerunds…perhaps she thinks grammar is only for nerds?), she did at least get her year in Germany, so that's something.

I take it you've never had the task of weeding through a stack of resumes. What she wrote is pretty good except for the bit about being "goal driven". That can refer to someone who needs a "get this much done or be fired" environment to get anything done (i.e. they're lazy).

• Love 2

Or procrastinators. Whereas people like me write, "problem solver" which can also mean "perfectionist" or "so focused on the problem tree that I can miss the forest."

Ah, the fine art of résumé writing.

• Love 1

I take it you've never had the task of weeding through a stack of resumes. What she wrote is pretty good except for the bit about being "goal driven". That can refer to someone who needs a "get this much done or be fired" environment to get anything done (i.e. they're lazy).

Oh god - you just triggered a memory flashback to a conversation i had a while back with a friend who asked me to look over his resume before he submitted it somewhere:

Me: You do know you're not supposed to lie on your resume, don't you?

Him: What lie?

Me: This "goal driven" crap. The only "goal" you ever had in your life was getting in <redacted>'s pants, and you didn't even get close.

Him: Oh, that. I just figured I'd give them a heads-up I'd be skipping work during Stanley Cup playoffs. This way, they can't say I didn't warn them.

• Love 1

If BBecky's looking for a medivac as an alternative to eviction, I think she's SOL this season. If they didn't pull Steve for an infected wisdom tooth (no pun intended), I doubt an infected toe is going to give her much traction (ok, a little bit intended there).

ETA: getting all spoilery up in here

Edited by Nashville
(edited)

Do you know my brothers?

And now, we can add to the calamities befalling Becky: her pus-filled toe! Discuss.

Hey, this is a non-spoiler thread!  (I think.  Is it?) And if that's what you've got for spoilers…please spoiler it!  Eww.

I mean, poor Becky.  But still, ew.

(And I was imagining that "economical obstacles" are what you buy when you want to build an obstacle course, but can't afford the good stuff.  "Damn, Becky, it looks like you got this obstacle course at Wal-Mart."  "Oh, shut up, I've got enough problems.  Wanna see my toe?")

Edited by DAngelus
  • Love 3

I might be in the minority but Becky was my favorite all season. I thought she had more game that she was allowed to play.

She said it herself in her post interview with Jeff. Besides Jackie and John, she failed to make connections earlier on in the game so she didn't have the support to back her up when she needed it the most. She said she wished she'd worked on that the first few weeks when she was flying under the radar.

I loved her enthusiasm during the interview. She had so much fun energy compared to Vanessa's manic. 

• Love 3

Becky probably would've gone deep in the game if the week she backdoored Vanessa went differently. Shelli wins that veto, Vanessa is gone, and she's set up pretty well.

Then again she kinda did herself in with her inexplicable rat game for Clelli the prior week.

Edited by Cutty
  • Love 1

Then again [bBecky] kinda did herself in with her inexplicable rat game for Clelli the prior week.

BBecky did do herself some damage with the ratpacking, but I don't think it would've been an insurmountable amount.

ETA: Correcting M**********G AUTOCORRECT.

Now THAT part I *won't* miss.

Edited by Nashville
  • Love 1

Becky probably would've gone deep in the game if the week she backdoored Vanessa went differently. Shelli wins that veto, Vanessa is gone, and she's set up pretty well.

Then again she kinda did herself in with her inexplicable rat game for Clelli the prior week.

I agree and she knew it too and decided to put a stop to it but the damage was already done. Her ability to see her flaws almost right away is why I liked her so much. She did the ratting thing for what, 24 hours before gaining perceptive. I will always maintain that she wasn't wrong to feel indebted to Shelli and Clay or betrayed by Jackie and co.

The irony of that week is that Shelli, by giving Vanessa all the info Becky gave her felt the repercussion immediately. James just needed a teeny tiny bit of excuse to evict her and she handed Vanessa the dynamite that sent her own behind packing. Vanessa lucked out by Shelli's inability to play a separate game from Vanessa. 

• Love 2

I might be in the minority but Becky was my favorite all season. I thought she had more game that she was allowed to play.

Me too. Honestly, as much as I actually like most of this cast, I think Becky is probably the only one I'd want to see get another chance.

She's actually so funny and smart and played well and she's so pretty!

• Love 1