Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E07: I'm Ready to Explore Boys

• Start Topic

Wow. This episode was pretty intense. I was impressed by how honest Jazz's mom, dad and friends were in talking about the difficulties they see in her future with regard to dating. I kept expecting to hear someone sugar coat their response, but no one did. Difficult as that must have been for Jazz to hear, especially from her friends, I do think their honesty shows not only their respect for her but also their faith in her ability to handle what they perceive to be the truth. It would be so much easier, and more politically correct, for any of them to say, "Oh, I'm sure you'll find someone" but no one took the easy way out.

I did, however, take issue with grandma's declaration that Jazz having children was a "fairly tale" and never going to happen. Not only do I disagree with that, I also didn't like her going along with the conversation with a big smile on her face and then pooh-poohing it behind Jazz's back.

• Love 1

I think the stakes are too high for them to sugarcoat this issue. Transgender people get killed all the time if they don't disclose or if someone decides that they don't like that their transgendered.

I'm glad that she has her family to guide her and her support group to give her useful, empathic advice.

I've been following Jazz since her first interview, I'm glad that she is flourishing and still sharing her story the way she wants to. So many sad stories about lgbt kids that it's nice to see a success story.

Wow. This episode was pretty intense. I was impressed by how honest Jazz's mom, dad and friends were in talking about the difficulties they see in her future with regard to dating. I kept expecting to hear someone sugar coat their response, but no one did. Difficult as that must have been for Jazz to hear, especially from her friends, I do think their honesty shows not only their respect for her but also their faith in her ability to handle what they perceive to be the truth. It would be so much easier, and more politically correct, for any of them to say, "Oh, I'm sure you'll find someone" but no one took the easy way out.

I did, however, take issue with grandma's declaration that Jazz having children was a "fairly tale" and never going to happen. Not only do I disagree with that, I also didn't like her going along with the conversation with a big smile on her face and then pooh-poohing it behind Jazz's back.

The discussion that we saw the grandmother call a "fairy tale," had Jazz saying that she wanted 8 or more children for Ari to carry and than for Ari to be her nanny, it was Grimm levels of dark fairytales not about the fact that in the future Ari might carry one child for Jazz.

• Love 1

Were all the people at the support group quite a bit older than her? It seemed like a couple of them might have been in their 20's but the rest were older. It would have been nice to see at least one other teen though I guess it might also be hard for them to appear on camera as well. 

The leader seemed really great, though it was a shame as to how her plastic surgery went, and wonder if there is anything she can do about it now. 

The leader seemed really great, though it was a shame as to how her plastic surgery went, and wonder if there is anything she can do about it now.

She was on an episode of Botched and no, there is nothing that can be done for her right now. The materials that are in her face are basically solidified and too difficult to remove. But the docs on the show say if she develops complications in the future, they want to be the ones to work on her. She is a doll, so sweet and wonderful.

I am impressed with the progress of the show so far. They are addressing the various issues discussed in the forums, like the topic of why Jazz could not be a biological parent vs a person who transitions later in life. There is a slight glimmer of hope for TLC.

I liked that one of the support group folks asked Jazz if she was really concerned about dating right now or if it was just peer pressure. So cute too when Jazz joked with her posse that they better watch out, she might be crushing on them!

Edited by Galloway Cave
  • Love 1

As another poster above noted, I believe that referred to Jazz’s specific scenario of 8+ kids, all carried and birthed by Ari, who would then serve as the nanny.  The issue of how Jazz might go about having children in the future was serious, but that little interlude was just for fun and got wackier as it went on.  Like when a kid tells you how many kids they’re going to have, what their names will be, etc.  You smile, nod and move on.

• Love 1

Setting aside the transgender part, fourteen is just too young in the first place.  Most that age aren't dating yet, their parents won't let them.  And I know when you're that age it seems like everyone else in the world has a special someone except you, but the reality is that a large number of kids go all through high school without getting a single date.  I know her high school years are going to be tough, but hopefully college will be that light at the end of the tunnel where she can start to experience the things she wants.  In the meantime there are a lot of positive things she can experience in high school outside of romance.

• Love 4

The discussion that we saw the grandmother call a "fairy tale," had Jazz saying that she wanted 8 or more children for Ari to carry and than for Ari to be her nanny, it was Grimm levels of dark fairytales not about the fact that in the future Ari might carry one child for Jazz.

Grimm, or Duggar...

• Love 3