Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E09: Ninety Degrees

Tensions boil over at 15th division after a heatwave hits town

This was my least favourite episode, possibly of the whole show. You know what? No, nothing can beat those Duncan-centric episodes. 

Ok, I am offiicially over the TV labour cliches. I actually hate them now, so much so that I wanted to change the channel so badly but I stuck through it.

Literally, Marlo went from ok to sudden pain to 4cm to 2cm to dilated to pushing to cord wrapped around the baby's neck to baby. Oh yeah, and somehow Sam beat the ambulance there from the time he took the call around the pushing part of the labour. And let's say the apartment from the police station is a good distance away, that still gives the labour time around half an hour. HALF AN HOUR from no contractions to baby. I know they could have attributed some signs to when Marlo was walking up the stairs, but that only adds an extra two minutes. I know shows aren't supposed to be realistic, but this is just stupid. It just gave Andy another stupid major plotline, and we even had to see Andy crying when she saw Sam, Marlo and the baby. My god, Andy, this is NOT about you. Go away.

I really, really am ok with not having Chloe/Dov be a thing again. Have their hate/break-up sex, but I'm more comfortable with them not being a couple. And speaking of, was Dov being a complete jackass to everyone because of Chloe? Or are they attributing this to him being angry about not getting into Intelligence and this is how he usually is? Because he's usually not this cold around people. Also, I will give them points for the asthma continuity. I genuinely thought they forgot about this plotpoint/throw away moment in the very second episode. But slight taking away of points for having it be a catalyst for Chloe/Dov to start kissing. I find them so much better as friends.

Traci/Gail only got two scenes. TWO SCENES. 

I kind of like new detective. And did I hear right? She's a lesbian? Hey, Katharine Isabelle, you're Gail's new girlfriend! Cool! I like Katharine Isabelle a lot so I'm cool with her sticking around (though...that reminds me....where's Luke?).

Oliver is back in uniform and trying so hard to fit back in, but he just doesn't. Poor guy.

Next week's preview looks like a waste. Things will obviously work themselves out by the finale, next season's premiere, tops. That is, if there is even a season 7. 

• Love 3
(edited)

Shouldn't have Marlo and Andy call the ambulance when she was in labor, instead they called when? After the baby was born? Sam got there before the paramedics. Of course they needed Andy to single handily deliver the baby though. I didn't think either Marlo or the baby would survive, or the bipolar lady would grab the baby and run. So when none of those things happened I was surprised. 

Liked Chloe and Dov's scene at the end. 

Poor Oliver he's still hurting. He's back to being back in Uniform and going backwards but he doesn't know how.

Edited by Artsda
  • Love 1

I'm so happy Marlo survived. I was worried they'd have her die in childbirth so Andy wouldn't have to deal with having the birth mother of Sam's baby around at all.

We needed more Gail, as always. I still miss Holly, but I do like Katherine Isabelle, so if she's going to be Gail's new girlfriend, I'll go along for the ride.

Also needed more Tracey.

• Love 2

They did call an ambulance. It just took 18 years to get there. When they came back from commercial, what sounded like Dov had a voice over on an ambulance saying woman in labour on the 7th floor.

I think the first time I smiled this season was when dov and Chloe kissed. I can't help it, I like them. Or I just like them happy/on screen.

I know they have limitd time to tell a story but there should have been more on traci and Gail dealing with the fallout. Instead gail got another forced love interest and track got....silence?

Where is Ward? She does show up next episode but she disappeared. So did Nick. I guess he got his fill of air time with his one episode earlier this season.

Are we supposed to feel bad for Andi? First with her banning Marlo from the wedding, then her making snide faces any time she's around her, including when she should be DOING HER JOB by going to a crime scene. Though it seems like tumblr is siding with her which shouldn't surprise me....thank god for you all.

• Love 1

That was meh at best. At least bipolar lady wasn't going after pregnant Marlo with the knife - I fully expected that to happen. Of course Andy had to deliver the baby. Nevermind that Marlo had the best relationship with Dov this season. Not that I want to see those two as a pair but they had such a great friendly chemistery together and now that the bombing plot is over that's just dropped.

Chloe was annoying and I'm not really interested in Chloe and Dov anymore. Not if the price of them getting back together is that they both behave insufferable like in this episode. And that guy's behavior was not sweet or romantic but creepy, looked like a stalker in the making but the two police officers who should have noticed were too embroiled in their own drama.

I can't stand Gail's supposed new love interest. And Gail just sitting there and not retaliating was completely OOC. Traci and Gail deserved more scenes to deal with the aftermath of last week's episode. Next week looks sigh-tastic.

• Love 1

I liked Dov's partnership with Marlo, too. Marlo's kind of been growing on me. I'll give Andy a pass this time, since it was a pretty emotionally brutal day overall -- but of course McNally had to be the one to deliver Marlo's baby. We get it, show, Andy's life is inextricably tied to Marlo's now! Enough already with the emergency birth anvils, geez.

I don't really buy Dov and Chloe together -- I like them as friends, but I don't think their romantic chemistry is overwhelming or anything.

I'm calling shenanigans on Detective Isabelle being moved to the 15 -- if she's close enough to Other Peck to know all those details about Frosty, and she and Peck(er) were partners long enough for her own record to be thrown into question because of his corruption and/or ineptitude, why move her into Other Peck's division? (Especially since, given the preview of next week, members of the 15 are being moved out because of the scandal.) Find some other way of hooking Frosty up with a snarky hottie.

• Love 2

When Frankie said Gail should come to homicide, my first thought was "she could work with Luke again!". I enjoyed Luke and Gail's interactions in the second season. Was Traci supposed to be on leave because she was stressed about Steve? I would wonder why Gail wasn't also on leave, having known Steve longer, and actually being related to him, but I can see her insisting on working to prove that she's not affected by it.

I did think it was unfair of Traci to tell her that no one feels sorry for her, they can't all be giant assholes who think she doesn't have feelings and/or deserves to be though of as suspect because of Steve's actions.

That new detective is so irritating. I wanted Gail to fight back with more snark and snap! 

I enjoyed seeing Marlo and Andy together, even during the very unrealistic delivery. I felt there was a bit of mutual appreciation between the two women. I also liked that the woman with the knife softened up as the delivery progressed and seemed genuinely happy for Marlo.

I think Andy's reaction at seeing Sam and Marlo and baby all together was so realistic. I know many people think Andy is being selfish, that she should stop making it about herself but really, I feel she's portraying her feelings realistically. She probably feels threatened in her relationship which is totally legitimate in my opinion. Sam seems to be balancing it all pretty well. I know a show like Rookie Blue needs drama to make the show interesting and progress, but I hope things between Sam, Andy, Marlo and now baby remain peaceful. No drama. I know it won't last but...

I've always found Ben Bass physically attractive. Add a baby in his arm? Holy Moly it's hot in here.

Oliver. Dear Oliver. I hope he recovers from this and comes back stronger than ever. I like him better as a cop than as the staff sergeant (although he was a good one). I liked his little remarks at the beginning of the episode.

• Love 1

I liked Dov's partnership with Marlo, too. Marlo's kind of been growing on me. I'll give Andy a pass this time, since it was a pretty emotionally brutal day overall -- but of course McNally had to be the one to deliver Marlo's baby. We get it, show, Andy's life is inextricably tied to Marlo's now! Enough already with the emergency birth anvils, geez.

I don't really buy Dov and Chloe together -- I like them as friends, but I don't think their romantic chemistry is overwhelming or anything.

I'm calling shenanigans on Detective Isabelle being moved to the 15 -- if she's close enough to Other Peck to know all those details about Frosty, and she and Peck(er) were partners long enough for her own record to be thrown into question because of his corruption and/or ineptitude, why move her into Other Peck's division? (Especially since, given the preview of next week, members of the 15 are being moved out because of the scandal.) Find some other way of hooking Frosty up with a snarky hottie.

Ditto. Have her lead an undercover at a lesbian bar looking for violence against queer women. Something.

Hey...did you know there's a character named Andy on the show?

• Love 3

I enjoyed seeing Marlo and Andy together, even during the very unrealistic delivery. I felt there was a bit of mutual appreciation between the two women. I also liked that the woman with the knife softened up as the delivery progressed and seemed genuinely happy for Marlo.

I think a genuine friendship between them could be interesting. I thought one of the nicer moments of the episode was their conversation in the car, especially when Andy said "Marlo, listen to me ... I would totally make you a casserole."

• Love 4

I kept expecting Traci to confess to Gail that she had her suspicions, that this wasn't the shattering surprise to her that it was to others. Also, Chloe and Dave were awful cops during the entire episode - if this is what it takes to solve your issues, maybe stay broken up! Maybe even transfer.

The new chick is Gail 2.0 which was mildly interesting until I realized she out-Gailed Gail in their scenes, then remembered that we now have a milder, mommy-to-be Gail. No, show! No.

I haven't enjoyed any episode this season. I'm just hanging on because it will soon be over.

• Love 1

Here's TVLine's recap: http://tvline.com/2015/08/20/rookie-blue-marlo-gives-birth-season-6-recap/

My DVR crapped out just as Gail and Traci sat down in the living room. What happened in the last 60 seconds? 

My feelings for Andy run parallel to my feelings for Dawson on CF, which is to say: #OVERIT, but she didn't bother me so much this ep. Other than the obvious birth, I thought she did ok. She was empathetic and supportive and cheered her on in the end. I'm with @Bouffe - I think Andy's reaction was normal. If nothing else the three of them are going to have to co-parent for the rest of the kids lives, so it's nice to see them at least trying to tolerate each other.

I thought new Detective girl was way too harsh, Tai. I thought it was a joke, and then I thought she was flirting and it wasn't until she said what the problem *really was - her former convictions are in jeopardy - that her anger made sense to me.

Things I wish had been shown: Gail and her parents  - post arrest. Traci telling Leo that Steve let them down. An explanation as to why Traci is on leave - she gets to take vacation because her boyfriend is a dirtbag? (I'm not arguing that she doesn't *need a little down time, but rather that the department would grant it!! Unless do we think she's been suspended or anything??)

Random costuming Q - it was 95 degrees out, necessitating cooling stations. But all of the women were in long sleeve shirts. And then Oliver, Nick and Diaz were in short sleeves (not that I don't appreciate a good gun show) while Epstein & Duncan were in LS. Actually, I guess I don't have a question, just making that observation is all. Looked silly to me.

Did I hear correctly, and Andy called the impending baby "Little Marlo or Milo or Maya or whatever"? Um, Sam told her it was a girl. Was he not supposed to tell her and the insertion of "Milo" was Andi quickly saving herself from letting Marlo know Sam told her (in which case that may be the smartest thing Andi has ever accomplished on this show), or could Andi just not be bothered to remember her future step-child's sex?

I like Katharine Isabelle, but her character just came across as all kinds of awkward and wrong this episode. 

Did I hear correctly, and Andy called the impending baby "Little Marlo or Milo or Maya or whatever"? Um, Sam told her it was a girl. Was he not supposed to tell her and the insertion of "Milo" was Andi quickly saving herself from letting Marlo know Sam told her (in which case that may be the smartest thing Andi has ever accomplished on this show), or could Andi just not be bothered to remember her future step-child's sex?

I like Katharine Isabelle, but her character just came across as all kinds of awkward and wrong this episode. 

I think she said "Little Marlo or Mila or Maya or whatever."  Marlo knew that Sam was going to tell Andy that it was a girl, even though she wasn't happy about it.  Sam was pretty adamanent about not keeping any secrets from Andy because she was part of his family too.

• Love 1