Type keyword(s) to search

Social Media and Behind the Scenes: AKA Everything Else Not "News and Media"

Zalyn
  • Start Topic

Oh, this info is not new at all. The EPs have been telling this story since ... I wanna say late Season 1. There's a much more detailed story from Marc Guggenheim about it from a Paste magazine interview last year. Apparently, their response to Roth was something like "Way ahead of you." 

Oh I know. But I think now that it's confirmed but the WB President of  TV really should just put a stop to it once and for all. I mean I still see those arguments around the interwebz.

Reading the comments was interesting.  One fan noted that the Felicity funko is sitting on the "F" while the Oliver funko is sitting on the "O".  Clever.  Another fan asked about the release date because GameStop was saying Dec. 15.  Funko's response: "It's possible that some stores may get her out on their shelves earlier, but she should be everywhere by early January!"

Oh, this info is not new at all. The EPs have been telling this story since ... I wanna say late Season 1. There's a much more detailed story from Marc Guggenheim about it from a Paste magazine interview last year. Apparently, their response to Roth was something like "Way ahead of you." 

Catching Up with Arrow Showrunner Marc Guggenheim

By Mark Rozeman  |  June 8, 2014  |  6:29pm

http://www.pastemagazine.com/articles/2014/06/catching-up-with-arrow-showrunner-marc-guggenheim.html

The news media was reporting EBR's promotion to series regular as early as February 12, 2013 (right before episode 1x14 aired):

http://www.etonline.com/tv/130456_Emily_Bett_Rickards_Arrow_Series_Regular_in_Season_Two/

The first mention of WBTV President Peter Roth noticing Felicity that I've found was during the March 9, 2013 PaleyFest panel (with GB, MG, AK, SA, KC, DR and ST):

Producers also confirmed that one minor character will become a regular in Season 2: Emily Bett Rickards as IT expert Felicity Smoak. The character’s bright future was ensured by two things: One, the positive Twitter feedback during her first appearance as well the reaction of Warner Bros. TV President Peter Roth who, Andrew Kreisberg reported, called to say: “I love the blond computer girl.”

http://deadline.com/2013/03/arrow-at-paleyfest-emily-bett-rickards-confirmed-as-regular-plus-trips-to-wondercon-comic-con-too-450047/

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 5

Jarett Wieselman tweeting about the Paley Center panel with Greg Berlanti and Peter Roth.

"We have to lock her up!"

I just like repeating that.

Here's the video of the Nov. 19, 2015 panel with Peter Roth and Greg Berlanti at the Paley Center, with moderator Debra Birnbaum (the actual panel starts at around the 55:30 mark, before that, it's just music) - really interesting behind-the-scenes stuff...

GB's comment about Felicity comes at around the 1:10:25 mark, when he's talking about casting and showing tapes to Roth (after he erroneously says that Felicity first appeared in the 4th episode of Arrow): "Peter called us up right away and said, 'Who's this girl?', you know, and 'We gotta lock her up'... Everyone has the same kind of visceral response."

Peter Roth and Greg Berlanti in Conversation

Streamed live on Nov 19, 2015, by The Paley Center for Media

Warner Bros. TV Head Peter Roth on ‘Too Much TV’ Debate: ‘Good Is No Longer Good Enough’ (Video)

Linda Ge on November 20, 2015 @ 6:37 am

https://www.thewrap.com/warner-bros-tv-president-peter-roth-too-much-tv-debate-quality-matters-now-more-than-ever/

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 3

I wonder if they'll air the 2 hours together, and this is a big 3 night event thing -- with Flash and Arrow returning from hiatus on the 19th and 20th respectively, and then launching LOT the next night.

Edited by dtissagirl
  • Love 1

Maybe Vampire Diaries is getting the extended hiatus? With Candice King's pregnancy and all.

Her pregnancy was written into the show though, and I think she's due around March, so I don't know what an extended hiatus would do for that show. I doubt they're bringing down either series' episode order, so...this is confusing.

Hmm, anyway, I'm glad LoT is starting back up around the same time TF and Arrow will be coming back. Things will just make more sense in my brain if they're all happening at the same time.

Interesting, they're not using Flash or Arrow as lead ins and putting it on Thursday night, they must have a lot of faith in the show.

Or they've really lost faith in either The Vampire Diaries or The Originals.

(checks the numbers)

The Originals, probably. 

Flash and Arrow both air at 8 pm, and the CW might not want to put what looks like its most expensive show up against Scandal, so, are we thinking another 8 pm timeslot, followed by The Vampire Diaries or The Originals? 

Not that Heroes Reborn was knocking it out of the park. But fans of comics and superheroes shows may be looking for something to fill their 8p Thurs slot, now that Heroes is done. Perhaps CW is taking advantage of that. I don't really think they are concerned about Scandal.

I do wonder if VD is just getting old and the CW sees this as an opportunity to move it around, so they can politely shrink its episodes next year when they get the evidence to a possible decline in viewership.

Or they've really lost faith in either The Vampire Diaries or The Originals.

(checks the numbers)

The Originals, probably.

Flash and Arrow both air at 8 pm, and the CW might not want to put what looks like its most expensive show up against Scandal, so, are we thinking another 8 pm timeslot, followed by The Vampire Diaries or The Originals?

Oh absolutely, the CW definitely needs to do something about TVD/Originals.

So, I guess I didn't win that contest, huh?

Very, very weird. Think the Con has anything to do with this? /conspiracytheory

I can't see the con stopping WB/CW from doing anything. This is an extremely tiny Con so the CW/WB would easily crush them plus all appearances always have the potential to be cancelled.

The only thing I could think of would be if SA actually refused to go because he has a stake in the con. However even that seems a stretch since his WB/CBS contract would always take priority and you really don't want to fuck over a studio/network head

• Love 1

It did seem a little like wishful thinking that they thought the editing would be done so far in advance. Those special effects take time. They should have just put it the Sunday (11/29), but that would interfere with the holiday.

I bet the special gift will be DVDs of the s3A & s1F. Feel bad for people that made arrangements to get there.

Edited by kismet

I complain about CW's marketing and promo but this is pretty amazingly bad.

That said I love the CW for giving me Supernatural, Arrow and Nikita (RIP) They take chances on shows other networks apparently won't. I'd be sad to see it go away because my two favorite shows would just cease to exist unless CBS or some other network picks them up.

Edited by catrox14
  • Love 5

I'm all for jumping on the CW, but this doesn't sound like a CW problem - it's a WB Television problem.

And yeah, I do think it's a post-production issue involving Hawkgirl and Hawkman. I mean, I'd like to think that the only reason we've had a grand total of three seconds of Hawkgirl flying is that the CW wants to surprise us, but that's putting more faith into the CW's marketing than I have. This isn't Arrow's usual trick of throwing in static CGI backgrounds or little animated arrows and planes, or Flash's LOOK COMPUTER LIGHTS ARE ZIPPING THROUGH THE STREETS - it's animating people with wings that apparently have feathers.  I know we all speculated about why Legends of Tomorrow started filming in August given that it was ordered as a mid season replacement, and I think we're seeing why.

• Love 13

Uh, everything, seeing as it's the network the show is on…and clearly they can't afford to do stuff on time or whatever.

I seriously don't even care.

The CW has nothing to do with post production delays/issues, that's on Berlanti Productions and WB Studios.
  • Love 5

I complain about CW's marketing and promo but this is pretty amazingly bad.

That said I love the CW for giving me Supernatural, Arrow and Nikita (RIP) They take chances on shows other networks apparently won't. I'd be sad to see it go away because my two favorite shows would just cease to exist unless CBS or some other network picks them up.

Agree... Although its probably a post-production thing which is nothing related to CW marketing & promoting. Poor dept is strapped, but its not their fault they were promised a product and it was not delivered to them.

I hope the CW has a long life... Because if not, I don't think any of the CW shows I enjoy or have loved would make it onto another network. The only show that I think has potential to flip is the FLASH. And I say this as someone who loves ARROW and doesn't even find the FLASH all that good of a show. But it has the mass appeal that would work on another network. And numbers that are comparable to a main network.

• Love 2

I'm all for jumping on the CW, but this doesn't sound like a CW problem - it's a WB Television problem.

And yeah, I do think it's a post-production issue involving Hawkgirl and Hawkman. I mean, I'd like to think that the only reason we've had a grand total of three seconds of Hawkgirl flying is that the CW wants to surprise us, but that's putting more faith into the CW's marketing than I have. This isn't Arrow's usual trick of throwing in static CGI backgrounds or little animated arrows and planes, or Flash's LOOK COMPUTER LIGHTS ARE ZIPPING THROUGH THE STREETS - it's animating people with wings that apparently have feathers.  I know we all speculated about why Legends of Tomorrow started filming in August given that it was ordered as a mid season replacement, and I think we're seeing why.

More reasons it totally baffles me that they centered the crossover around them.  I mean I am truly, truly baffled.  We've barely seen one, we've never seen the other, but we're supposed to be concerned about their peril?  And yeah, wings, on a CW budget.  If they'd been minor characters at most (esp Hawkman, seriously, who cares about him when we haven't even seen him), they could have done quick, comparatively cheap glimpses. 

• Love 1

I can give the poor suckers in FX and post-prod a break, because their deadline was like, November 30. And then mid-way through the process, the network goes and schedules a special screening  ten full days before air date... they need those days.

But also, they use the exact same visual FX supervisor on Arrow that they did on the latter seasons of Smallville, so maybe he could borrow all the wing work he did for Hawkman back then? Nobody but me will notice.

Edited by dtissagirl
  • Love 6