Type keyword(s) to search

Social Media and Behind the Scenes: AKA Everything Else Not "News and Media"

Zalyn
  • Start Topic

Yeah, I took it as he meant Flash is a bigger production than Arrow [which it is], and that Supergirl is gonna be even bigger than Flash.

But then again, I don't feel particularly defensive about Arrow like a lot of people here. I don't even mind Flash taking potshots at Oliver? I end up finding them funny because people on the internets get ~so super insulted~ on behalf of Oliver, and write "IN DEFENSE OF OLIVER QUEEN" posts, and hi, free entertainment.

• Love 4

LOL to be honest I wouldn't put it past AK to say something like that (the way I saw it out of context) because of just how much the show rags on Oliver... lmao

Yeah, I took it as he meant Flash is a bigger production than Arrow [which it is], and that Supergirl is gonna be even bigger than Flash.

But then again, I don't feel particularly defensive about Arrow like a lot of people here. I don't even mind Flash taking potshots at Oliver? I end up finding them funny because people on the internets get ~so super insulted~ on behalf of Oliver, and write "IN DEFENSE OF OLIVER QUEEN" posts, and hi, free entertainment.

I get SUPER defensive lmao Shhh don't judge me

• Love 3

My anger from the potshots isn't really even about Oliver, it's because it's to build up Barry, who IMO isn't shit, haha. I have such terrible feels about that dumbass Barry Allen and his Flash Day, ugh.

Edited by apinknightmare
  • Love 8

I get SUPER defensive lmao Shhh don't judge me

No judgement here, just endless amusement. :) Also, it sounds so super stressful? Being defensive gives me too much anxiety, so I pick my battles. This one is definitely NOT IT. [but then again, I truly adore The Flash because that show is written specifically to the seven year old me who lives in my brain, so.]

Could also be a general statement that means absolutely nothing in regards to projects he's personally worked on. He could just mean that you can really mess up casting someone, but Melissa IS Supergirl!!! #everyonewatchourshowpls

Debating what he COULD be talking about is kinda pointless. 

Edited by apinknightmare
  • Love 4

The WBShop (official store of WB Studios) is selling this Arrow Cast Collage Adult Ash Grey T-Shirt that "features a collage of cast members from the hit television show, including Oliver Queen, Black Canary, Felicity Smoak and Diggle", but the BC shown is Sara...

tumblr_inline_nwsa12YqUd1rkf4dx_500.png

http://www.wbshop.com/product/arrow+cast+collage+adult+ash+grey+t-shirt+arwezpatcolg.do

So no LL? But QL is still on the shirt. Interesting... It does all look like s2 promo shots, but why are they marketing the shirts now?

Regarding the question of production dates which just popped up on the spoiler discussion thread: on the commentaries for the season three DVD/Blu-rays MG mentioned that they'd had to do a couple of pick-up shots for a few scenes here and there - there's a few shots in "The Calm" that were filmed during the filming for "Corto Maltese," and there's an scene in "The Climb" that was filmed during "Left Behind," for what MG called "production reasons." Ordinarily I would mutter something about the sets here, but I think it may have had more to do with filming around Amell's schedule - he apparently spent a lot of time on "The Climb" on a fake wall on the set, but didn't have to do that much during "Left Behind," so he could add in a scene during that filming period.

That suggests that Arrow has gotten slightly more flexible with some production issues - MG specifically thanked the directors involved for working around these issues. It's also quite possible that this was happening in previous seasons and we just weren't told about it.

Edited by quarks
  • Love 4

No, to be clear:

They filmed a few pick up shots for episode 1 (the Oliver versus Oliver fight scene) when they were shooting episode 3. 

They filmed an entire scene for episode 9 when they were filming episode 10.

Which makes it all the more odd that they couldn't film a quick pick up shot for episode 17, the one episode that really needed an extra moment to keep Oliver and Ray from looking like total jerks. 

• Love 3

I feel like they can do more with Amell and be flexible with his schedule because he floats from PD to FB, so they can move more stuff around. Beyond him, there are not a lot of character overlaps from FB to PD in recent seasons, so it might work. I wonder if they couldn't do more pick up stuff for e17 because of BR's availability. SA is invested in the show and willing to be flexible. Some of the other talent may not be as invested, no judgment or insult meant. SA is the ARROW, if the show tanks it directly impacts him, not so much some of the others.

Which makes it all the more odd that they couldn't film a quick pick up shot for episode 17, the one episode that really needed an extra moment to keep Oliver and Ray from looking like total jerks. 

I also think they intended to make RP that big of a jerk in e17, it was just too intentional some of the writing. Which is why I believe he was meant to be like that, the writer had no love lost for RP (which in retrospect was very cathartic for me to be able to finally hate him). But the writer could also lack some awareness in how the characters come off, which is something I have noticed about this writer's previous episodes. Great plots but not so great on the characterizations, esp for some characters more than others. That being said, she did nail the Deadshot moments both in PD & FB in that episode, which were amazing and the best part of that episode hands-down. 

The pickup scene I was specifically thinking of would have involved Roy/Arsenal. Both MG and Amell are on record as saying that what we saw - Ray electrocuting Roy, and then both Oliver and Ray just leaving poor Roy in a puddle, wasn't supposed to end that way and was a production error. I'm sort of mystified that Arrow took the time to insert a few seconds of footage into the Oliver vs. Oliver scene, but didn't take the time to film Oliver realizing, "Oh, crap, I left Roy in a puddle! I should take care of that before the entire internet points out that I'm a selfish jerk again!"

• Love 3

The pickup scene I was specifically thinking of would have involved Roy/Arsenal. Both MG and Amell are on record as saying that what we saw - Ray electrocuting Roy, and then both Oliver and Ray just leaving poor Roy in a puddle, wasn't supposed to end that way and was a production error. I'm sort of mystified that Arrow took the time to insert a few seconds of footage into the Oliver vs. Oliver scene, but didn't take the time to film Oliver realizing, "Oh, crap, I left Roy in a puddle! I should take care of that before the entire internet points out that I'm a selfish jerk again!"

Although I think they probably already considered Roy off the show, so it probably didn't matter in their minds. It sorta like the last papers you write before you graduate, if they don't impact your grades why bother putting the effort into it. Like a form of Senioritis.

Totally agree though it would have been a good scene to add. But I also believe them when they say they didn't even realize it happened.

Edited by kismet
  • Love 1

I honestly think that maybe no one involved noticed until it aired.

Very possible, though again I'm slightly puzzled - an early cut of each Arrow episode goes to the CW, WB television, DC, some of the CW affiliates (the Tribune ones, and apparently a few others) and apparently CBS at least a couple of weeks before airing.  Everyone involved in Arrow has said that the CW, WB, and DC send feedback on both the script and the episode before it airs, and the CW affiliates are telling Forbes and The Wall Street Journal that they also send feedback/input.  

I realize that March is when the filming/airing schedules for Arrow get very tight, and I also believe that no one noticed this during filming - that sort of stuff happens all the time. I'm just surprised that with at least 30 people presumably watching this episode beforehand, no one noticed this.

Although I think they probably already considered Roy off the show, so it probably didn't matter in their minds. 

True, but that moment didn't matter to Roy's character at all - he was just in a puddle. It made Oliver and Ray look like jerks, though, and although that's fairly typical of Oliver, it's a little odd for a character that's supposedly going to be the heroic lead of an expensive new spinoff Arrow is/was trying to launch.

• Love 1

True, but that moment didn't matter to Roy's character at all - he was just in a puddle. It made Oliver and Ray look like jerks, though, and although that's fairly typical of Oliver, it's a little odd for a character that's supposedly going to be the heroic lead of an expensive new spinoff Arrow is/was trying to launch.

RP had been a written in way that a good portion of the audience perceived him as a jerk (if not worse) for many months. And he was at his highest Jerk level that episode, so I don't think anyone would have noticed that him leaving RH puddle and any more jerky than some of the stuff he said to FS that episode. After all, he put RH in the puddle, it would have been OOC for him to then rush over to help the guy.

I didn't see OQ leaving RH behind as jerky thing to do. I honestly just thought he forgot about him because of the stress of the moment. I haven't watched the ep recently, so I can't remember how it all went down and how OQ left. I just remember feeling really bad for RH that he was left alone. But that happens, I've left my friend behind in places that are non-stressful situations. Literally a group of us drove away from the convenience store, it was a few moments before we noticed she wasn't in the van. Parents even forget their children behind in places when they are under extreme stress, so I could rationalize why it might have happened and OQ was not a jerk.

• Love 2

No, to be clear:

They filmed a few pick up shots for episode 1 (the Oliver versus Oliver fight scene) when they were shooting episode 3. 

They filmed an entire scene for episode 9 when they were filming episode 10.

Gotcha, I screwed up the names,  The Calm was 301, The Climb was 309.  D'oh

Edited by Morrigan2575
I think it was pretty clearly an oversight. Roy got electrocuted pretty early in that fight, and whoever was editing probably forgot that he was even there (LMAO @ typing that sentence).

Yeah, I think it's pretty easy to screw that bit up, honestly. The character was removed from the action; it's easy to forget to deal with them again after that. It could have started all the way back at script level, which wouldn't surprise me at all, and it would be easy for anyone at the network/studio to miss it as well, because I don't think they're really reading for that type of detail. Usually, they want writer's assistants to catch that stuff, but everyone makes mistakes.

Or it could have been an error in the directing. The director chose to have OQ walk away from RP after the fight--maybe that wasn't in the script, and the scene ended on the RP/OQ handshake, so you would just infer that Oliver went to Roy after that--or he just walked the wrong direction. Or lastly, it could have been an error in the editing room. The only reasons I kind of don't think it was just edited wrong is that Oliver walks away and would basically have to U-Turn back to get Roy, AND I think that if you had footage of Oliver getting Roy, an editor would not have cut it out because they would have realized it was necessary. But certainly, anyone along the way could have noticed that Roy wasn't dealt with properly, and no one did.

Anyway, that is all still pretty hilarious to me, especially because SA seemed preeeeeeetty annoyed about it and I like when perfectionists get a little ruffled.

Edited by Carrie Ann
  • Love 5

I like to imagine someone in post noticing it, and TPTB realizing it was a screw up but letting it pass, hoping nobody would notice. And then Twitter exploded on their faces. The way Guggenheim took to Tumblr so quickly after the episode to explain it was a fuck up was the BEST PART.

• Love 5

This whole discussion reminds me of the trivia about Kate & Leopold where they had to re-shoot and edit the movie after it was completed because no one realized that making Kate Stuart's ex-girlfriend and his great-grandmother was kind of icky until they did the first screenings and the audience kept focusing on the incestuous relationship and not on the romance/epic/destined love of Kate & Leopold

• Love 4

This whole discussion reminds me of the trivia about Kate & Leopold where they had to re-shoot and edit the movie after it was completed because no one realized that making Kate Stuart's ex-girlfriend and his great-grandmother was kind of icky until they did the first screenings and the audience kept focusing on the incestuous relationship and not on the romance/epic/destined love of Kate & Leopold

That was all I could think about when I first saw the movie. 

How do you go wrong with Meg Ryan and Hugh Jackman? Add INCEST.

• Love 2

I popped on over to Twitter to see what folks were saying about the Spring Valley video, and found EBR has been live tweeting an episode of the Originals. I don't know why I enjoy when my fave celebs are dorks, but boy do I. 

Summary of EBR's tweets while watching The Originals...

When fandoms collide: An ‘Arrow’ fan-favorite watches ‘The Originals’

10:00 am, October 27, 2015

http://www.hypable.com/when-fandoms-collide-an-arrow-fan-favorite-watches-the-originals/

• Love 1
BTW, I noticed that AK and SS (Sarah Schecter) were included among the EPs listed in the opening credits (in addition to MG, WM and GB).  When did that start happening?  And are MG and WM now included in the opening credits for The Flash?

AK and SS were listed among the EPs in the opening credits last season; the change there was adding WM.  MG and WM both state that they aren't working on The Flash, so they aren't listed there, or on Supergirl (which does list AK), Mysteries of Laura or Blindspot (which at least for now doesn't seem to be involving AK, MG or WM.)

Sarah Schechter, though, is credited as EP on all five shows: Arrow, Flash, Supergirl, Mysteries of Laura and Blindspot. She also got an EP credit for Pan although I suspect she would rather nobody brought that up. I think the main reason she doesn't get mentioned by fans much is that she doesn't seem to do many interviews (if any). I've seen some speculation is that her role is largely financial, since she seems to get credited for production, not story or "created by" on all four shows, and previously worked as an executive over at WB, but as far as I know that role was never clarified by anyone on any of these shows.

• Love 2