Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E04: Heads Will Roll

This was the first episode I actually enjoyed.  I found myself caring a  bit about the characters, especially Spencer.  Although I definitely could have done without the Charles being pursued by the ultra hot masturbating babe.  That seemed like pure fantasy fulfillment on the part of the writers.  

• Love 3

Spencer finally having enough and telling Vernon that he is going to deal with him until he wises up, was probably the most satisfying moment of the series so far.  Certainly the first time I actually felt like Spencer is actually bringing something here, besides Dwayne Johnson's natural charisma.  I hope he succeeds, but the only way I see that ever happening is he has to find some way to get rid of the cancer known as Reggie.  Reggie is so over-the-top.

Joe at least seemed to make some headway with those other two players (I'm assuming they were real NFL guys?), although he probably pissed Richard Schiff off.  But I guess something could happen.

Of course Ricky vs. Alonzo is far from over.

Are they really going to go down the "Charlie is tempted to cheat" story-line?  Why, yes they are!

• Love 2

It seems like the episodes preceding this one were mostly about establishing characters and relationships and that this was the first one that really started advancing the plot.  Spencer's potential neurological issues could have been a Very Special Afterschool Episode, but I think it's being handled well thus far.   It was also time for the Spencer-Vernon-Reggie stuff to come to a head and I'm glad that point was Spencer dealing with it like an adult after way too much playground maneuvering.  

• Love 3
(edited)

I'm surprised that I like this show, it isn't as bad as I was expecting it to be.

It is hard not to like Dwayne Johnson, the guy does have a truckload of natural charisma as someone posted above.

I like the plot lines and I'm looking forward to see if they are going to show any on-field action once football season starts.

I hate Reggie. I want to see him fall. Hard.

Of course he will, but probably not after pulling his meal ticket with him.

I think real-life Micheal Vick had a posse of Reggie type characters around him.

Edited by ToastnBacon
  • Love 4

Caught up on the series this weekend after being away through the first three weeks. It's not groundbreaking TV but it's fun.

Victor Cruz and Lamar Woodley are indeed real NFL players. Victor seems like a great guy and has lots of natural charisma, and I could see him staying with acting after his career. I figured it was pretty telling that he did all the real acting. 

Charles is an interesting case. Obviously a smart guy, but he's still missing that feeling of being told you're the greatest and someone's idol. He legitimately misses the football too as we saw last episode. Definitely the most interesting character for me.

I would not mind seeing Reggie being delivered a Rock Bottom, with his damn phone is his back pocket.

• Love 4

Caught up on the series this weekend after being away through the first three weeks. It's not groundbreaking TV but it's fun.

That's a pretty good description of the show, not ground breaking but fun TV.

HBO's Sunday night lineup has had me watching these past few weeks of the summer.

• Love 3

Of all the episodes, this one was the best, I think.  The Charles story line with the lady that's ready to mingle might be a trite one, but those situations do happen.  I thought his reactions were so real - calling his boy about it, getting laughed at when the "problem" is explained, and making an possible mistake by apparently going to see this woman.  Can't wait to see what happens with that.

I was surprised to see Spencer and his ex together again.  I must have missed something from the last episode?  At least she pushed for him to attend the doctor's appointment.  Spence not taking the appointment seriously and then ducking out before the MRI also rang true to me.  Many folks don't want to confront those types of medical issues, especially athletes. 

Spence's handling of the Vernon/Reggie situation was probably the only move he could make.  Vernon is drinking all of the Kool-Aid Vernon's serving him.  It's a shame that nothing good will likely come of that situation.  However, I am curious to see how badly Vernon's career goes down in flames.  Seems like he needs to be taught the mantra that Ricky took up.  Vernon truly needs to be bigger than his problems to not have his career and livelihood severely compromised because of a knuckleheaded friend.

• Love 1

The thing that gets me double back a bit is Spencer waking up and goes straight to his shirt from the bed. No shower, no teeth-brushing, no relieving oneself, just a quick splash to the face. I can not do that myself. Can not start my day without freshening up. 

What is the time setting of this show? Off season? Training camp? We see Ricky and the rest of the Miami Dolphins practicing, and on the other hand we see Vernon hangin' and chillin' in Miami instead of being in Dallas with his team. Vernon is not even training or working out as a "top defensive player".

This was the first episode I actually enjoyed.  I found myself caring a  bit about the characters, especially Spencer.

Agreed. It looks like the show is setting Spencer up to be a success in the long run by sticking to his principles. When Vernon fails, and admits Spencer knew the right call and Vernon should have listened, that will be a turning point for Spence's career I think.

This show is not a comedy, no matter how much the show runners say it is. There are funny moments, but they are the exception. I wonder if all the pre-show interview stuff about it just being a half-hour comedy was for the sake of calming the NFL, which basically ordered ESPN to stop a similar show a few years back (Playmakers)?

• Love 2

What is the time setting of this show? Off season? Training camp? We see Ricky and the rest of the Miami Dolphins practicing, and on the other hand we see Vernon hangin' and chillin' in Miami instead of being in Dallas with his team. Vernon is not even training or working out as a "top defensive player".

In the timeline of the show they're in the middle of OTAs (Organised Team Activities) Which usually fall in June. A lot of times these are "voluntary" as dictated by the bargaining agreement. But coaches expect their players to be there for them. Ricky obviously is working to put his best foot forward and his previous reputation behind him. Vernon not attending OTA's would not be that unexpected if he's angling for a new contract. He's been shown to be working out on his own, in Miami. Some (University of) Miami players have a reputation for going back to Miami and working out there in the offseason as opposed to working out with their teams during voluntary OTAs.

• Love 1

This show is not a comedy, no matter how much the show runners say it is. There are funny moments, but they are the exception. I wonder if all the pre-show interview stuff about it just being a half-hour comedy was for the sake of calming the NFL, which basically ordered ESPN to stop a similar show a few years back (Playmakers)?

Didn't they classify Nurse Jackie as a comedy?? No one knows WTF they are doing in TV classification. I know for the Emmy's they changed the rules so that you can't call something a comedy unless it's a 30 minute show. 

The thing that gets me double back a bit is Spencer waking up and goes straight to his shirt from the bed. No shower, no teeth-brushing, no relieving oneself, just a quick splash to the face. I can not do that myself. Can not start my day without freshening up. 

That always drives me nuts.  I understand they don't want to waste time showing him brush his teeth, but can't they find some way to imply he did more than roll out of bed into his clothes and headed out the door?  

• Love 1
I hate Reggie.  I want to see him fall.  Hard.

I despise him too! Though, I really appreciate the "After the Show" segment where they talk with the actor who plays Reggie. It's interesting seeing the dichotomy between the actor (who seems cool) and the character (who's a dick).

This was the best episode so far.  I actually felt invested in the characters and caring about the outcome. 

Vernon and Reggie are stupid.  Will be interesting to see how that turns out, but my guess is not good for them. 

I think I could take care of my family and friends and make some nice donations for $40 million, let alone $70 million.