Type keyword(s) to search

Inside Out (Pixar 2015)

• Start Topic

I am very late to the party but I just watched this wonderful move On Demand. I loved it and especially loved the message it sent. We are a complex of emotions and sometimes a memory can be both happy and sad. I did love the message that sadness shouldn't be hidden, its a valid emotion that needs to be expressed

• Love 6

Disappointed that this movie didn't get a Best Picture nom. It's one of the more complex and thoughtful movies of the year that dealt and discussed the varying degrees of emotions of both children and adults delicately. I wonder if it got overlooked being an animated film (I know, I know, animated films have been nominated for BP in recent years). But there's only 8 BP noms this year and I'm surprised Inside Out wasn't able to sneak in there.

My favorite was the heartbreaking scene of Riley apologizing to both Mom and Dad for running away. I thought that was just perfectly done. A lesser movie maybe would have had Dad yelling at her. but they both just comforted her, implying that as much as Sadness has taken over Riley's emotions during that time, Sadness has taken over their emotions too, paving way for acceptance that all of them had made mistakes that led to Riley running away.

Or maybe I'm just an emotional dud lately because I have a two year-old and I can just imagine dealing with that soon enough.

• Love 2

I suspect it was submitted to the Animated category because it has a much much better chance of actually winning in that category.  It is highly unlikely that it would win in the Best Picture category, and if it were me, I'd rather have a win than just a nomination.

Of course, that's pure speculation, but that would be how I would approach it if I were attached to the film in any way.

I suspect it was submitted to the Animated category because it has a much much better chance of actually winning in that category.  It is highly unlikely that it would win in the Best Picture category, and if it were me, I'd rather have a win than just a nomination.

Of course, that's pure speculation, but that would be how I would approach it if I were attached to the film in any way.

But why couldn't it be submitted to both categories though? Both Up and TS3 were nominated for both BP and Best Animated category, so I didn't think it was a matter of choosing one category over another in which it would have a better shot at winning. I don't think there was anyone who thought that either Up or TS3 were serious BP contenders the year they were nominated. Plus, I don't think any animated film will win BP anyway. The closest was probably Beauty and the Beast.

But why couldn't it be submitted to both categories though? Both Up and TS3 were nominated for both BP and Best Animated category, so I didn't think it was a matter of choosing one category over another in which it would have a better shot at winning. I don't think there was anyone who thought that either Up or TS3 were serious BP contenders the year they were nominated. Plus, I don't think any animated film will win BP anyway. The closest was probably Beauty and the Beast.

First of all, I may have even said this earlier in this thread, Inside Out was easily the best movie I saw in 2015. 

I heard somebody say that the Animated Film category exists for the sole purpose of not having to include animated movies in the Best Picture discussion.  I am fairly certain that this is exactly where it stands right now, and that Up and the others you mentioned pretty much cemented this as a fact from now on.

And that is why the best picture of the year isn't going to win the best picture award.  

But why couldn't it be submitted to both categories though? Both Up and TS3 were nominated for both BP and Best Animated category, so I didn't think it was a matter of choosing one category over another in which it would have a better shot at winning. 

It's not.  You can campaign for both.  But the revised balloting procedures implemented after 2010 disadvantage Pixar (TS3 and Up probably wouldn't have been nominated under the current system; Inside Out was the notable test of that, since it's the first Pixar film released since TS3 to reach similar levels of acclaim.

I heard somebody say that the Animated Film category exists for the sole purpose of not having to include animated movies in the Best Picture discussion. 

More the reverse:  they weren't in the Best Picture discussion, but after Beauty and the Beast's nomination, the other Disney Renaissance-era films, and the rise of Pixar, the Academy's board of directors decided that they should have an animated feature category to reward those artists (akin to the documentary and foreign film prizes).

Edited by SeanC

I remember a lot of people freaking out when Beauty and the Beast got a Best Picture nomination back in the day. There were a lot of complaints that an animated production was put in that category and some actors started worrying that a drawing would suddenly start getting nominated for the acting awards. It's basically why we've never seen another animated feature get nominated for the major award despite the work and effort and storytelling that is just as effective as live action.

• Love 4

I read a lot of bad reviews but a lot of them came from people with young kids. I can see this not being for anyone who hasn't been thorough the harrows of childhood or recovered from it. Despite a lot of childish things a lot of concepts were too adult.

That being said I thought this movie was fabulous. I enjoyed it very much especially Joy and Sadness adventure through Riley's mind. I also liked the otger emotions in her head as well. I think that is my takeaway from the story. All emotions are valid and necessary.

I was not expecting this movie to be such a downer. It may have been complex but for an animated film, I didn't want to feel sad at the end. I'm sure others love it but for me, it's not one I need to see again.