Type keyword(s) to search

Sobstories/Hyped "Inspiration" Stories: The OTHER Scourge of ANW?

• Start Topic

This one is a lot less certain than Showboating as a Scourge, because a.) inspiration is a real and powerful thing as a motivating force and b.) the show executives control this a lot more usually than the contestants.  But I figured if we have a topic for Showboating, then maybe one for this should exist as well.  

Like there, I guess the idea is to talk about if there ARE actually valid reasons for it, although in contrast talking about the instances we hate and why should be explored too.  As I've already mentioned, we do see a real world "benefit" of the sob stories in how it motivates other people to participate, but on the other hand, sometimes too much is too much.

I also, by the way, include straight up "inspirations pimping" in this too, even if it's not really a sob story.  By that I mean something like the whole "Might Kacey = Inspiration for Every Woman" thing, and similar stuff.

(edited)

I don't mind the fluff when it serves to introduce us to a) new, competent, competitors [Opera Guy,] b) truly inspirational folk [the free-in-the-parks trainer from last week,] or even c) the semi-inspirational [this weeks amputee.]  I don't need, want, or like puff pieces that showcase someone who flames out on the first or second obstacle because they are [heteronormatively] hot.

Edited by Way Wes Jr
  • Love 2

My issue with the fluff pieces is the enormous amount of screentime devoted to them. NBC is known for this during their Olympics coverage, but still. If I FF through storytime, I can get through a 2-hour episode in 45 minutes to an hour. Meanwhile, coming back from each commercial break are 5 second recaps of 2 or 3 competitors, most of whom fall somewhere along the course, but several who actually finish the course. Why are their 1-2 minute runs not worthy of being shown, just because they're not related to/dating/BFF with another competitor?

With the newbies I don't mind so much, or if there are significant/touching stories like the guy with the dying wife or the amputee -- I get that. But I don't need an expose on Paul Kasemir and "The Adonis" every year, much less every round they appear in. Most of the viewers know by now that these guys all have replica courses that they shirtlessly train on when they aren't busy rock climbing or doing parkour.

• Love 2

[heteronormatively]

Speaking of this.  I'm thinking this thread is appropriate-ish since a frequent theme of the "inspirational" stories is the supportive partner/spouse, all of whom seem to be opposite-sex.  I won't swear to this because I don't actually KEEP TRACK.  I'm not sure I have a point, and upon reflection this show isn't that "edgy" but it seems like there could be room for some inclusiveness.  Although the LAST thing I'd want to see is a whole "OMG he's tough AND he's GAY" segment.  So maybe I should be careful what I wish for.

• Love 1

This may not be popular opinion, but that's okay.  I miss the crazy contestants on the original show who pretty much knew they weren't going to make it.  The ones dressed in costume, etc.  I always thought they brought fun and lightness to the show and acted kind of like a palate cleanser in between the serious runs.  I find all these stories and, frankly, the competitors themselves often run together for me.  Boring.  Although I do enjoy watching the actual runs.  I just miss the charm of the original. 

I actually don't mind the costumed people.  To me that's different from the inspiration or sob stories, and isn't the same as straight up showboating either.  Those folks actually WERE just having fun--whereas the showboaters are showing off/boasting and the sob/inspiration people have become tools of the show to boost viewer appeal/ratings.  The costumers usually had a kind of innocence to them that's gone from the show now.

I actually don't mind the costumed people. To me that's different from the inspiration or sob stories, and isn't the same as straight up showboating either. Those folks actually WERE just having fun--whereas the showboaters are showing off/boasting and the sob/inspiration people have become tools of the show to boost viewer appeal/ratings. The costumers usually had a kind of innocence to them that's gone from the show now.

I'm the opposite. I disliked the costumes -- maybe Captain NBC or the gal in the duck? goose? costume -- but it got ridiculous, like the guy running in the diaper. I thought the costumes threatened to make ANW more a freakshow joke than a serious athletic competition.
  • Love 1

I skip the pre-run stories every time, unless it's one that I find particularly interesting (amputee) or if I've seen the person in another context (sports or some such). Even then, it's a cursory glance and then I usually skip it anyway. I don't particularly care about your story, I just want to see you compete.

What really annoys me is when they show a back story, sob or otherwise, about someone who gets eliminated on the third obstacle and then they show a few seconds of someone who completed the course "while we were away" and will appear again.  I want to see the best runs, not the failures unless there's something notable about them like a favorite not succeeding.

Oh, and the guy in the diaper.  Beyond annoying.

• Love 1

What really annoys me is when they show a back story, sob or otherwise, about someone who gets eliminated on the third obstacle and then they show a few seconds of someone who completed the course "while we were away" and will appear again.  I want to see the best runs, not the failures unless there's something notable about them like a favorite not succeeding.

Yeah, I really noticed the weird distribution of time last episode. Where the walk on guy didn't even get an interview by the blond, for example.

Although it was worth noting they sent a camera crew with him to shoot a taped "back home" intro (actually was that mostly in his car?) after the fact and pretended like it was magically there from before he ran the course.

• Love 1
On ‎6‎/‎9‎/‎2015 at 0:25 PM, dmeets said:

My issue with the fluff pieces is the enormous amount of screentime devoted to them...

With the newbies I don't mind so much, or if there are significant/touching stories like the guy with the dying wife or the amputee -- I get that. 

Two years later, she's not dying anymore.

• Love 1
11 minutes ago, eel2178 said:

Two years later, she's not dying anymore.

She's doing pull-ups and jumping up and down on the sidelines.  Given what her disease was supposed to have done to her, that's pretty weird.  Once those joints and tissues are "destroyed," I doubt they would regenerate to the level of activity she's doing so soon after coming out of a wheelchair.  Maybe they're building the scenario of her becoming a competitor on ANW.

• Love 2

I think there is a middle ground.  I don't want to see people run who I know aren't going to get passed the floating steps. I think its a waste of time and that time should go to someone who is willing to wait on line for two weeks and has a snowballs chance in hell of getting through.  The "joke" runs are the run the annoy me.   Every so often the are ok.  Like the family that ran in Denver Qualifying.  Six people in the same family.  I think maybe one of them made it past the second obstacle.   I actually prefer the "inspirational" runs like the wrestler with one leg who made it pretty far a couple years? back.  And the old guy who does pretty well.   I mean yeah they are never going to make it to the end but they are still awesome to watch,     Like I said a middle ground.  I don't ever expect to get rid of the crazy people or the pre-run stories.  Its TV and some of the stories are actually fun.  Like the one again Denver with the kid with the mother who seems like she drinks waaay to much caffeine.  And he made it to the buzzer.