Type keyword(s) to search

The Wayward Pines Chronicle: WP in the Media

man, I wish I could watch these or read it or whatever it is.  My browser does not play nice with whatever plugins are involved.  I've tried both IE and Firefox, but admittedly I might not have the latest versions of anything.

I remember seeing that URL in the pre-publicity days and forgot all about it.  Good to have on the record.  (That doesn't talk about the past or my life before, does it?)

• Love 1
(edited)

FYI - the FX* Channel is airing the first 4 episodes tomorrow evening (Sat 6/6) .

* ETA: correction - it airs on the FX Movie Channel.  Sorry,  :-(

Edited by walnutqueen
  • Love 1

I'm not seeing this in my guide at all. 

OH DUMMY ME - it is actually showing up as the FXM (and FXM HD) channel on my guide - that is the FX Movie Channel, owned by Fox, of course.  So sorry for the confusion.  I didn't even realize I HAD this channel!

(edited)

Might as well use the "In the Media" thread to discuss ratings, right?  I ran across a tumblr which has the data for the first four weeks:

Wayward Pines Season 1 Ratings
(18-49 Demo),  (Viewers in millions), (Episode):
1.0, 3.76, #1.01 "Where Paradise Is Home"      
1.2, 4.58, #1.02 "Don't Discuss Your Life Before"
1.2, 3.97, #1.03 "Our Town, Our Law"
1.1, 4.20, #1.04 "One Of Senior Realtors Has Chosen To Retire"  

Originally posted at:
http://seriable.com/wayward-pines-ratings-table-nielsen-18-49-demo-numbers-season-1/

So viewership is holding steady, which is ALWAYS a good sign, even for a show on FOX.

(I'll try keeping this table updated for convenience.)

Edited by KDeFlane
  • Love 1

Might as well use the "In the Media" thread to discuss ratings, right?  I ran across a tumblr which has the data for the first four weeks:

Originally posted at:

http://seriable.com/wayward-pines-ratings-table-nielsen-18-49-demo-numbers-season-1/

So viewership is holding steady, which is ALWAYS a good sign, even for a show on FOX.

(I'll try keeping this table updated for convenience.)

So they could pull an Under the Dome if they wanted to.

So they could pull an Under the Dome if they wanted to.

If they wanted to lose their entire audience.  Plus this was filmed over a year ago -- many of the cast may have gotten other roles.

• Love 1

If they wanted to lose their entire audience.  Plus this was filmed over a year ago -- many of the cast may have gotten other roles.

I was just basing it on the ratings for Summer standards since I've seen other 'event' series get renewed, I don't want it to continue and stay self contained.

I was just basing it on the ratings for Summer standards since I've seen other 'event' series get renewed, I don't want it to continue and stay self contained.

Both Galavant and Extant were open-ended enough that new shows won't be unwelcome.  We'll have to see where WP ends, but I would prefer it to be a one-and-done, like you.

• Love 1

Both Galavant and Extant were open-ended enough that new shows won't be unwelcome.  We'll have to see where WP ends, but I would prefer it to be a one-and-done, like you.

Exactly, I think WP is doing all the books and the big twist happens in the next episode.

The upside to having good ratings on a show like this is that FOX may be more likely to approve *future* shows like this.

It depends, shows like these would work better as self contained stories, otherwise you'd end up with messes like Under the Dome.

(edited)

It depends, shows like these would work better as self contained stories, otherwise you'd end up with messes like Under the Dome.

I saw an interview with one of the WP creators where he swore that even if this show happens to get renewed, this season will still be a self- contained story that will answer all of our questions by the end of this season. So supposedly none of this Under the Dome BS.

Edited to add link to the article, it isn't spoilery: http://www.tvguide.com/news/wayward-pines-fox-premiere-matt-dillon/

Edited by Awesomesauce
  • Love 2
(edited)

I was scrolling thru my TiVo schedule for the upcoming weeks, and I had a momentary panic when i did NOT see WP listed to record next Thursday, June 18.  It turns out that some golf thing is being covered by FOX in primetime, and our little saga will be pre-empted. On one hand, "Waiting? Ugh!", but OTOH we'll have an extra week to dissect everything we learn in "The Truth".  Just wanted to prepare you for the shock.

and p.s. to the above discussion, I meant to emphasize that getting good ratings for a *limited-run and done* quirky show means we could see more networks take chances on both quirky AND limited-run.  While there is value in renewing a successful brand for a second season (in recognition, set-up costs, marketing, etc.), I think networks are going to learn that some shows are successful precisely because they are written and promoted with the promise of being a closed system. When such shows do get a renewal now, it is for a new cast of characters with a new story to tell, barely tied to the first season, sometime only using the feel of a universe or premise.  Think "True Detective" and "American Horror Story" and even "Fargo".  If they can bottle whatever makes WP a magical success, they'll use it, somehow.

Edited by KDeFlane
  • Love 2
(edited)

Think "True Detective" and "American Horror Story" and even "Fargo".

Those are anthologies, where it was planned to be a new story/characters each season.

I saw an interview with one of the WP creators where he swore that even if this show happens to get renewed, this season will still be a self- contained story that will answer all of our questions by the end of this season. So supposedly none of this Under the Dome BS.

I figured as much with them doing all of the books this season.

If they can bottle whatever makes WP a magical success, they'll use it, somehow.

That's what some of us are afraid of them milking/beating whatever's left of the series into the ground and then they'll have to make things up as they go along a la Under the Dome, except that already threw any book material out since S1.

Edited by Free

There are a lot of short stories and novels / novellas that would be great as "one-and-done" series, and as they would get a full-"season" pick-up and have no post-show crap, it would be a lot easier for people to get into them.  Ratings would be good, I think.

There are a lot of short stories and novels / novelas that would be great as "one-and-done" series, and as they would get a full-"season" pick-up and have no post-show crap, it would be a lot easier for people to get into them.  Ratings would be good, I think.

• Love 1

The way the books end, there is definitely room to continue a story if this was a big success.    It is a self-contained story, but it is left open ended what might happen after that.    Not saying I'd recommend it, but there is room for it if the show was a big success.   It would be a totally different story arc but that might be interesting to pursue.

It would be a totally different story arc but that might be interesting to pursue.

It depends on where it would go, presumably the twist would expose the mysteries of WP.

I'm still tracking the ratings numbers.  The table posted above was indeed just for "overnights", while the better numbers come from "live +3days" and "live +7days" -- viewership doubles when delayed DVR data comes in, but those numbers take longer to come in and then it gets complicated to post tables with columns here for comparison.  The real news is that the show has a strong audience that just doesn't care to stay up on Thursday nights.

I wasn't sure if anyone else is following the show's official Twitter account.  For weeks they were teasing images (some were mild spoilers) and using a weird font to tweet phrases that looked upside-down or mirrored.  At this point after the reveals in "The Truth", I'm thinking that was simply a ploy to appear mysterious, rather than being a specific clue.  Anyone else notice this?

(edited)

I wasn't sure if anyone else is following the show's official Twitter account.  For weeks they were teasing images (some were mild spoilers) and using a weird font to tweet phrases that looked upside-down or mirrored.  At this point after the reveals in "The Truth", I'm thinking that was simply a ploy to appear mysterious, rather than being a specific clue.  Anyone else notice this?

These types of shows do these kinds of mysterious things.  I think Lost did that with its' cast/promotional pics, I remember around S4/5 doing something similar to this.

I think what's important is what happens afterwards with the twist, it's like letting the air out of the balloon, which is why I worry about longevity especially for a series like this.  You can either take the Lost/PLL route, where you have to drag it all the way to the end or take the UTD route where you basically make up nonsense under the false pretense of any plan.  It took all 3 books to make a 10 episode season and so far there hasn't been much else so they would presumably have to make things up if they wanted to continue.

Edited by Free

WP managed to get referenced on The Daily Show on Monday June 16

Jon was doing a segment about the food monstrosity that is the Pizza Hut Hot dog Stuffed Crust pizza -- under the title 'Wayward Pies', and it was even in the WP title font.

• Love 1
(edited)

As of right now, yes it is a mini series. I haven't seen any news that they've received a second season. All 3 books in 10 episodes.

Actually, it's a limited/event series so that always leaves the possibility of another season, but still, it could go either way however they decide to.

Edited by Free

They don't have to worry about Terrance Howard's availability any more (which was a concern before the show started). I suppose, in theory, they could make more seasons, but I doubt I'd be back.

• Love 1

I suppose, in theory, they could make more seasons, but I doubt I'd be back.

Agreed, especially since the premise doesn't seem to be one that should be stretched that much further.

Actually, it's a limited/event series so that always leaves the possibility of another season, but still, it could go either way however they decide to.

Under the Dome was supposed to be a limited event to and it just started its third season.  If a show makes money, the network will milk it for all it's worth.

I don't know if this show gets decent ratings though.

• Love 2

Under the Dome was supposed to be a limited event to and it just started its third season.  If a show makes money, the network will milk it for all it's worth.

I don't know if this show gets decent ratings though.

Exactly, it could go either way.

It does get good ratings, and therefore there are indeed a rumblings about extending it.

http://deadline.com/...wal-1201452683/

From that article:

"I hear there is interest in another season of the mystery series. Because of the long time frame between the project’s pickup/production and its airdate, the options on all actors lapsed long ago. (Wayward Pines’ cast also includes Matt Dillon, Carla Gugino and Melissa Leo.) I hear the idea is to explore a potential second installment with different characters and cast but in the same world, which would not be a straight anthology format. I hear talks are preliminary, and Fox brass are expected to meet with the Wayward Pines creative team soon to discuss the possibilities."

How would they do this with a whole different set of characters if Wayward Pines is the only remaining human civilization on the planet after 2000 years ?  Would Pilcher have pulled a John Hammond from Jurassic Park 2 and somewhere there is a Site B ?

• Love 1

How would they do this with a whole different set of characters if Wayward Pines is the only remaining human civilization on the planet after 2000 years ?  Would Pilcher have pulled a John Hammond from Jurassic Park 2 and somewhere there is a Site B ?

I guess if the main characters die, they could turn to other characters who were supposedly there the whole time but we didn't see them or focus on their stories.

I assume it'll be similar to Under the Dome and how characters suddenly appeared while being trapped under the dome.

• Love 1

Please no. Tell a good story in 8 to 12 episodes and end it. Find another good story and do the same. Don't just keep retreading the tires and showing us the same thing over and over. I liked Gracepoint for that very reason, it told the story, it ended the story.

• Love 4

Please no. Tell a good story in 8 to 12 episodes and end it. Find another good story and do the same. Don't just keep retreading the tires and showing us the same thing over and over. I liked Gracepoint for that very reason, it told the story, it ended the story.

YES, please adhere to the UK model of story telling TV! Not everything has to go on and on and on. Except Eastenders. ;)

• Love 1

Well Gracepoint actually got cancelled, but I agree, this isn't a series that should be dragged on too long.

I just meant overall UK style: shorter series (seasons) and not worried about throwing something out there for 8 -10 episodes and being done. 

I guess so, but there are already limited series that have done that, granted it more in the 10-13 episode range.

Presumably, Wayward Pines has 200+ residents at the time of the show. We've only seen approximately 20 at levels above extra (Ethan and his family, his ex-lover and her new husband, Pilcher, Pam, Terrence Howard's sheriff, Hypnotherapist, a few students, real estate agent guy and disgruntled assistant, come to mind).

So they could show what  is going on with the other 100+ characters.

Or they could do a prequel, showing what happened with the original Wayward Pines leading up to the mass hysteria that destroyed it. (Which, now that the cat is out of the bag, would probably be more interesting to me than anything going on in the present of the show).

I think there's a lot of options out there.

• Love 3
(edited)

Or they could do a prequel, showing what happened with the original Wayward Pines leading up to the mass hysteria that destroyed it. (Which, now that the cat is out of the bag, would probably be more interesting to me than anything going on in the present of the show).

I think there's a lot of options out there.

A prequel would probably be the better option as the show seems to be building to some kind of revolt/rebellion with the townspeople.  A prequel would be more interesting out of the choices even though Pilcher already gave us the general idea with the exposition episode.  While it's nice that they had the big twist in the middle of the 1st season, it's also a double edge sword, now there's not much left and the characters aren't really that interesting, they're more serviceable to the building plot/mystery and once the aftermath/fallout happens, and that's already happening with the last 5 episodes.

Edited by Free
  • Love 1

They could do the Nikki and Paulo perspective (Lost reference), lol. But agreed that a prequel or even different characters in the future world could be cool. Although considering that the big twists will have been revealed, I'm not sure what they could do for an engaging mystery. But I'm not a TV writer, so that's their problem to figure out.

• Love 1
(edited)

They could do the Nikki and Paulo perspective (Lost reference), lol. But agreed that a prequel or even different characters in the future world could be cool. Although considering that the big twists will have been revealed, I'm not sure what they could do for an engaging mystery. But I'm not a TV writer, so that's their problem to figure out.

Well that's a problem, seeing as how they were heavily criticized and promptly killed off.  That and Lost had the advantage of having more interesting characters and mythology/mysteries to explore which at the time was fresh.  As for a mystery, I guess they would have to make some things up, but it is a risk as they've been using the books relatively closely enough as an outline to format their series so far, something they won't have with a potential next season as they're doing all 3 books in this 10 episode season.

Edited by Free

Well that's a problem, seeing as how they were heavily criticized and promptly killed off.

That was my attempt at a joke. Yeah, everyone hated them, but burying them alive was a little harsh! ;-) Bringing it back to topic... It would be like if next season focused on Ben and the First Generation--but most fans find Ben annoying. A season on First Generation would be cool...but only if they reckoned Ben.

• Love 1

That was my attempt at a joke. Yeah, everyone hated them, but burying them alive was a little harsh! ;-) Bringing it back to topic... It would be like if next season focused on Ben and the First Generation--but most fans find Ben annoying. A season on First Generation would be cool...but only if they reckoned Ben.

Sorry about that, I wasn't sure if it was or not.

As for that, I thought it was an interesting death scene even if their characters weren't interesting enough.

• Love 1

A season on First Generation would be cool...but only if they reckoned Ben.

Since child actors can be expensive (in time and money), maybe a First Generation -- 10 Years Later.  The Pilchers are dead, Ethan and family are dead or have moved, depending on the outcome of this season.  Who runs the bunker and who runs the town?  Are new people defrosted, and if so, what do they tell them?  If the Abbies are sentient, has there been any effort to communicate with them?  All sorts of fun questions, and easy to make it a new cast. 

• Love 2
(edited)

TV Insider article on tonight's finale. No big spoilers, although Matt Dillon does promise all outstanding questions will be answered by the end of the episode. We can only hope!

ETA after the finale aired: Matt lied.

Edited by Ms Lark

Since child actors can be expensive (in time and money), maybe a First Generation -- 10 Years Later.

That would be terrible as none of the 1st gen characters are remotely interesting and we would be left with Ben as the main protagonist.