Type keyword(s) to search

Show Analysis: Dr Huang Will See You Now

• Start Topic

(edited)

I shouldn't feel sorry for this perp but I do Emma Butler in Lost Traveler. I think she is an perfect example of the sheep that Merritt Root talked about in Authority.  She didn't have  a  single thought for herself. An a n example of this as when she was first questioned by Fin at the school all she said was like Courtney said we didn't see Nico  after school and she looked at her like asking if she did a good job?  She also kept on wanting to know what Courtney said when Nick questioned her at the station. I also don't think she knew that Courtney had no intention of letting the little boy Nico live after taking him to the construction site.

Edited by Redskinsfan

Judson Tierney Scheherazade-  Yeah he was a bank robber,kidnapper and a killer but he did love his daughter and he did what he had to do to save her from her biological dad who wanted to kill her too It was sad that he had died when she finally decide to see him.

(edited)

It was also a little frustrating the way Elliott was written out. It was a good shoot Jenna Fox killed 4 people in cold blood at the police station  he had no choice  but to shoot her and it seemed strange that he wouldn't fight for his job.

Edited by Redskinsfan
  • Love 2
(edited)
On 5/13/2017 at 10:58 PM, SerenityInSpace said:

I can't believe how nasty some peopleare about Mariska. She's either slated or for looks or slated for allegedly having a huge ego. Does anyone have any proof of the latter claim?

I highly doubt anyone here would have proof, but there is plenty of evidence that she has developed a huge ego. Not necessarily of the nasty Shatneresque sense where she's actively demeaning her co-stars and can't stand anyone else getting any attention, but certainly to the detriment of the show. Look at how Benson has been presented as she has gained more creative influence. She used to be a flawed hero and now she is always right. Watch the 400th episode which she directed and watch how she is even more at the center of things and glorified than usual (like the scene where she is lit and dressed to look literally angelic). There is the progression of quotes in publicity and articles over the years from network execs (which she could easily stop if she wanted to) which go from praising her as an actor and activist to talking about how she sees this show as a calling and herself as a "protector of women." There's no smoking gun, but there's more evidence than many of the cases that have gone to verdict this season.

Edited by wknt3
Forgot a few words
  • Love 1

It was probably easier to write out Christopher the way they did, with Elliott voluntarily retiring. They could not have written anything complicated to happen offscreen, and it sounded like there was some definite acrimony after Christopher's contract negotiations fell apart.

• Love 1
(edited)
On 5/16/2017 at 10:30 PM, ForeverAlone said:

It was probably easier to write out Christopher the way they did, with Elliott voluntarily retiring. They could not have written anything complicated to happen offscreen, and it sounded like there was some definite acrimony after Christopher's contract negotiations fell apart.

Your probably right about that.  I also can see Elliott being affected about having to kill a 16 year old girl who saw her mother get shot and probably not in her right mind at the time of the shooting.

Edited by Redskinsfan
  • Love 1
(edited)

Ideally, I would like to see Benson realize it's time for her to retire, so she can spend more quality time with Noah and maybe, you know, develop a life beyond work. Maybe it hits her after a surprise run-in with Stabler and she can see how happy he is to be off the job, and having had time to spend with Eli while he was still a child. Fin takes over the unit—in that the final episode could be his first case having to supervise the investigation. (And it would make my heart happy if that gave us an excuse for Munch to appear to congratulate him or to lend a hand, as an SI. Maybe it's somehow an old case come back into light.)

Carisi & Rollins can do the grunt work. Or maybe show them being introduced to two junior detectives they will now be breaking in.

At Benson's retirement party we'd get to see and catch up with any number of old familiar faces, so we know where they ended up: Cabot, Novak, Huang, Cassidy, etc.

That would be my near-ideal ending, but I know it's not likely to happen. Most likely it will just be another Benson-Saves-The-Universe glorification that ends with praising her up to the high heavens where she will don her halo and be officially canonized as the Patron Saint of All Rape Victims.

Edited by sockii
  • Love 2

Gah, so so many sad moments it's hard to make a list.

As far as victims/criminals go, I always felt sad for the older boy in "Juvenile", whose mother wouldn't take the 5 to 10 deal believing the jury would find him innocent due to his mental deficiencies (and that the younger boy, who got off on juvenile charges, was really the instigator of the assault/murder). And then he ends up convicted and faces a possible life sentence.

"Nocturne" is an episode that just horrifies me and makes me feel sad for everyone. In fact I don't know that the show has ever done a more compelling take on child sexual assault and how a victim could end up becoming an assailant himself. And Munch having to watch all of those video tapes to try to identify the victims, and then showing Stabler that one tape of the gifted musician then assaulting another student...it's an amazing episode but not one I can watch very easily or very often.

(I tend to find a lot of the Munch-centric episodes very sad and tragic, I love them to death but Legacy, Painless, Uncle...)

• Love 4

That does sound good. I think the hardest part would be the retirement party; I would LOVE to see all the old faces (as you said), but I think it'd be difficult to write/act it without it being too cheesy/over the top. I like the idea of St. Benson running into Elliot and seeing how happy/less stressed he is after retirement. Throw in how he has gotten "help"- i.e. therapy or whatever, to show how he has grown and has been able to move passed some of the past, and I think that could show St. Benson that there is "hope" after retirement, and that she CAN be happy with what she has, and that there's more than her job.

• Love 1

I got another one Liberties. Judge Koehler discovering his son Marshall who he thought was dead was the defendant in a court case he was trying and to find out that he was sexually molested by the man who kidnapped him..

• Love 1

I definitely think Legacy was one of the saddest episodes, the ending with Munch reading to the girl and telling the story to Benson on the roof are definitely tearjerkers. Season 2 had a few of those, Taken was one, with the innocent guy getting killed in jail before his release and only Munch seemed upset, also Baby Killer and Noncompliance were very sad. All of them good episode but not easy to watch. 

• Love 3

I don't even remember the rest of the episode, but there was one that ended on two (adult) brothers who were so excited to go to Red Lobster with their mother, and Lake takes them himself because he didn't have the heart to tell them that she just OD'd.

• Love 7

I suppose I know too many down-on-their-luck people who legitimately get thrilled at the idea of a dinner as fancy as Red Lobster.

• Love 4

Ummmm....it IS a soap opera. Has been for years. That's why the stories are crap. Who cares? Just an excuse to throw these people together and heavily suggest they're all having sex with each other. That there....is a soap opera.

• Love 1
20 hours ago, Zoe said:

I don't even remember the rest of the episode, but there was one that ended on two (adult) brothers who were so excited to go to Red Lobster with their mother, and Lake takes them himself because he didn't have the heart to tell them that she just OD'd.

The name of the episode is Fight and yes the ending is sad.

(edited)

My finale prediction/proposal:

We start in the squad room, but it looks different. Different furniture, layout etc. Liv is standing by a desk A young woman walks in crying a bit. "I was told to come here? Something happened to me.." "I'm Deputy Chief Benson. Why don't you sit down and tell me what happened." End of teaser cut to theme. When we come back we're in the CO's office. Fin is sitting behind the desk. He is made up to look older, even thought Liv looks exactly the same. The nameplate on the desk reads Lt. Odafin Tutuola. Liv starts talking "She says she was assaulted by Richard Whiteman" "Rich Whiteman? The banker lawyer politician athlete executive?" "Yep." "It's too bad we couldn't put him away all those years ago." Yeah that one always bothered me. I know we've worked a lot of cases since then." "Yeah a lot. So many stories. Enough for a USA TV movie or a limited series on a premium streaming video platform." "It's not about the stories it's about the victims." "Of course. You taught me that along with everything I know about policing." "Why did she come forward? His victims have always been too scared. And nobody else wants to challenge him." "She ran out of his penthouse in tears and a cop saw her. He knew what must have happened and told her to come here." "That's some fine police work." "I think so." Benson has a smile on her face her and hands Fin a card. It reads Officer Noah Benson. After a commercial break we come back to see Benson doing interviews and other routine police work with Noah and a detective played by Jason Priestley. The scenes are intertwined with flashbacks to the present day where we see Liv doing everything while Rollins/Carisi/whoever is left in the cast by this point tags along. Eventually they make an arrest. Mr. Whiteman threatens Benson and tells her the DA will never prosecute. She makes a reply that she knows one who will. Cut to the office of ADA Carisi. He tells her that they are getting a lot of heat from VIPs and they have no evidence. She tells her they have to take the case to court for all the women out there who aren't believed. He nods and agrees. We then see the case in court with flashbacks to the present day case. Lots of scenes of the squad then and now sitting in court making concerned faces. The victim recants in both time frames. Benson convinces both victims to testify, but this time Carisi presents Bensons words as the closing argument. This time there is a conviction. We flashback to a hung jury in the present day and Benson vowing to bring down Rich Whiteman even if it takes 20 years. There is a celebration at a bar/restaurant afterwards. Stabler is there and has maybe two lines although the promos have suggested that it would be all about a resolution for Benson and Stabler. Benson gives a speech and ends with how they still have work to do, but luckily there are great cops out there like Noah. We fade out on her looking wistful and determined. We follow with a special Dateline with the cast and DIck Wolf which is mostly Mariska talking about her foundation and Dick Wolf talking for his new idea for a series about emergency personnel and lawyers in Houston coming to NBC this fall.

Edited by wknt3
accidentally deleted a few words when posting
  • Love 1
On Saturday, May 13, 2017 at 8:36 AM, 25thID said:

Nice. That would be a nice send off.

On Saturday, May 13, 2017 at 8:18 AM, Gigglepuff said:

Survivors honoring NYPD Chief of Police Benson with a ticker-tape parade. 

Not for the city of NYC, leaving her in charge would not be good.

My frustrating moments include how any old attorney can just waltz into the police station.  All of the real life departments that I know, have tight security and you have to enter through a secure door, providing ID, who you are supposed to see AND GET AN OKAY from the person you are meeting that it's okay to let you in.  You can't just walk into the detective's office area, Holding area NOR interrogation rooms.  Even if an attorney suspected that a person might be being interrogated, the attorney does not have the right to insist on entry. At least that's how it is in my state.  The police don't even have to inform the perp that his lawyer is outside waiting.  ON SVU, it's as if the lawyers have as much access to the police station as the police.  It's bizarre.

Also, I've never been in a NY courtroom, but, in NC, judges don't use gavels.  I've never seen one used in a court room.  They are mainly novelty gifts for judges and they keep them in their office on a shelf.  On this show, the judge uses it like punctuation.  So odd. 

One episode that really pissed me off was Legitimate Rape from season 14, that one was on today. The fact that the jury bought that argument from the fruitcake congressman ( who was an amalgamation of several dumbass real life right wing politicians ) was so stupid, and then the judge agreeing to give visitation rights to that creep who had been convicted of stalking the victim was really stupid. I still think Benson was wrong to help Avery flee the country as it was against the law but that episode was really frustrating cause that creep should've been locked up. I would love to know how St Olivia got out of that one, I know she gets away with everything but I'm surprised Purcell didn't make a complaint to internal affairs. 

• Love 1

Only the stern faced older lady with the crucifix bought the "legitimate rape" argument. The other jurors didn't buy it, but couldn't convince her otherwise. So it was either acquit on that charge  and convict on the stalking (which she could agree on), or cause a mistrial with a deadlock. 

Considering how some states are with their laws and rapists' parental rights, I can't say I was surprised the judge allowed minimal supervised visitation. It was about his right (however minimal) to see his kid, and Avery would not be present for said visits. It would be no different if Johnny D hadn't committed suicide by cop and enforced his parental rights to force Olivia to bring Noah to him for occasional visits while he was in prison.

Also, I've never been in a NY courtroom, but, in NC, judges don't use gavels. 

It's been a while since I was on an NYC jury, but there was no gaveling. Pretty cazh generally compared to TV. (And certainly no detectives pulling faces in the gallery.)

• Love 1
11 hours ago, Gigglepuff said:

I don't know which thread to ask this in but how many courthouse or steps of courthouse shootings have occurred on SVU? Seems like an awful lot. 

Enough, that I'd make sure to wear my bullet proof vest when going into that building. Of course, IRL most DA's, judges and defendants who are in custody, enter/exit through a SECURE garage that is in the back or underground for security purposes. They may come out the main door to go to lunch, but, I would imagine that due to the potential for violence from hostile defendants, gangs, etc.  some judges/da's may fear, they would make arrangements to avoid a schedule of where they could be targeted daily and likely make arrangements to enter/'exit in a more discrete way.   

• Love 1
On May 19, 2017 at 1:05 AM, Zoe said:

I suppose I know too many down-on-their-luck people who legitimately get thrilled at the idea of a dinner as fancy as Red Lobster.

Hey, I love Red Lobster! 

Getting back to subject, there are too many sad moments on this show. But one I just saw was the end of "Decaying Morality" where Barba had to explain to the mother of the innocent boy framed for rape then murdered by the victim's angry father that they had to plead him down to manslaughter. Barbra's sad and weary "I'm sorry, but this is where we are now" was so effective.

Technically he was more of a perp than a victim, but Hector, the man that helped the two assholes break into that Muslim family's restaurant in the season finale. Maybe he wasn't the one that raped and killed them, but as Olivia said: he let it happen and he didn't even have the decency to hand over the actual killers until they threatened his wife with ICE. Had he done the right thing and testified sooner, he might not have gotten shot.

When his wife was blaming the cops for his death, screaming about how he "didn't deserve this", I just went, "Neither did the Muslim family."

• Love 2

Agreed, I didn't feel anything for Hector. He conspired with the 2 racists to break in and rob the store and he just watched while they raped the 2 girls and killed 2 people. I felt nothing for him. He was almost as responsible as the others IMO, he was garbage. 

• Love 2
(edited)

I didn't feel sorry for Clare Wilson from Jersey Breakdown and Gambler's fallacy because you thought that she would have learned her lesson and not go to work at a very shady place after she had been raped but she didn't  and she ratted Amanda out telling Declan she was a cop of course she didn't know he was one too .

Edited by Redskinsfan
On 2017-3-8 at 4:30 AM, QueenMab said:

Another for me was "Mr. Jackie" the gay music coach. Benson ruined his life, career, his teaching rep, everything because all the way through the show it was like "he's gay, so he must be a pervert with children". I was hoping the Gay Rights or LBGTQ community would crucify Benson for that but as usual she was absolved because she was "doing her job". HE WAS INNOCENT !

Olivia is homophobic now?

Olivia/Mariska really does get a lot of random accusations thrown her way.

I don't remember anything that insinuated she thought he was guilty because he was gay. She believed a child's accusation and believed the DNA evidence. Obviously, we know she was wrong, but nothing suggested she thought he was guilty because he liked men.

I don't think Benson thought that, she's always been pro LGBT rights. If it was Stabler yeah I would agree, he was a homophobe, Amaro was as well. But Benson wasn't, she just thought Mr Jackie was guilty because of the kids' stories and she rushed to judgment and because of that she ruined his career. She's rushed to judgment on many straight guys as well, homophobia wasn't a part of it. Rollins was the only one who believed in Mr Jackie's innocence, so does that make the rest of SVU homophobes as well? The only homophobes were Stabler and to a lesser degree Amaro.

• Love 2

Maybe Stabler was a homophobe early in the show, but in the "Transitions" episode you could see that he was trying to be open minded.

Speaking of that episode, the transgender guidance counselor that assaulted the transgender student's dad because he wouldn't let her take the hormones she needed was sympathetic as well. I don't agree with what she did, but she did care for Hayley.

• Love 2

Yeah I agree about the perp is Transitions, she was sympathetic, I was glad they were able to work out a plea deal for her, she did it because she thought it would help Hayley. 

Stabler was more open minded in that episode, I think he softened over the years, but he was a homophobe in the early years and he was always a rather narrow minded prick. Amaro was somewhat homophobic as well though it wasn't as blatant as Stabler. While I'm glad there is no more angry cop like Stabler or Amaro, I wish that there was a bit more political debate in the show now instead of all the characters expressing the same view like in the season finale. This is where I miss Munch, as he could provide alternative viewpoints and saw shades of gray in things and could debate with the black and white Fin, and Huang, who could provide unbiased opinions and wasn't afraid to say something different from what Benson/SVU wanted to hear. 

(edited)

I know there is already a villain thread but I thought I would make one about the female villains on the show. I  fins them more fascinating to watch then the male. one some times. This are my favorites.

1.-Courtney Lane"Lost Traveler"- I put her first because not only was she a child killer she also was just a 14 year teenage old girl herself. I also found her to be the most creepy and scariest of the teen killers because she seemed to be so nice and caring . There were no warning signs about her.

Anne Gillette "Shadow"-Sarah Paulson was brilliant as the coldblooded sociopath who not only killed her parents but put out a contract on 3 cops.

3 Missy- "Damaged"-- Raped her adopted sister and said you can't kill me because I'm already dead.

4.Brittany O" Malley "Mean"- She was a mean,nasty, vicious teenager and oh yeah she killed her best friend too.

5.Dana Lewis.- FBI agent who was able to hide her murderous secret for almost 30 years.

Edited by Redskinsfan
(edited)

Paula Marshall in "Imposter".   She pretty much prostituted herself to get her son into college, then cried rape.  THEN her son commits suicide from the pressure and embarrassment.  I felt more for her son.

Edited by angel1008
  • Love 1
(edited)

I didn't feel much for Brett Morton from "Conscience" yes Jake O'Hara was a teenage sociopath but wha the did was just as bad he killed Jake in cold blood in a a courthouse for revenge and got away with it because he was a "grieving" parent.

Edited by Redskinsfan

The bitch grandma in Care, who abused foster kids and beat the little girl to death. She was pure evil, a heartless piece of shit who masqueraded as a caring, sweet granny type. Too bad she died of a heart attack while in jail, she deserved to be fried or tortured to death.

The batshit crazy woman in Surveillance who attacked the musician because the equally nuts guy she was obsessed with was obsessed with her. 

The parole officer who raped Carisi's brother in law, she was really creepy and one very nasty, cold, controlling bitch. Very creepy perp. 

I think Missy Kurtz may have been the most evil and chilling female perp ever on SVU. 

• Love 3
(edited)

I still think Courtney is more evil then Missy because she tried to get Nadia Gray to kill Mark an innocent man by telling her Nico was tortured  by being burned by a cigarette before being strangled. The episode about  Carisi's brother in law is on Sunday I'm going to watch it then.

Edited by Redskinsfan

Yeah Courtney was an evil psycho as well, but Missy Kurtz was just really scary how evil she was and how she created such a diabolical plan to kill her sister. Also the grandma is Care, what an evil bitch who had such a king facade, I hated her.

Have you ever seen the episode with Carisi's brother in law? 

(edited)

I may have seen it but I don't remember it. That is why I wan to see it Sunday

1 hour ago, Xeliou66 said:

Yeah Courtney was an evil psycho as well, but Missy Kurtz was just really scary how evil she was and how she created such a diabolical plan to kill her sister. Also the grandma is Care, what an evil bitch who had such a king facade, I hated her.

Have you ever seen the episode with Carisi's brother in law? 

ITA Missy was scary evil too, both her and Courtney were scary for 2 different reasons  IMO. The grandmother that Cindy Williams played in "Sick" was evil too she faked her granddaughter's illness for money. I may have seen the episode with Carisi's brother in law but I don't remember it.

Edited by Redskinsfan

Yeah I forgot Granny from Sick, she was truly dispicable and evil. Also what about the creep granny from Privilege, who abused her son and grandson and said she had "made her grandson into a man". What a fucking fruitloop, she was vile as well. There have been a lot of nasty older women on SVU. 

I miss the female perps, we have barely had any in recent years, it's all rich arrogant white guy who are rapists, but Nicole Keller from Motherly Love was a master manipulater. 

Let's not forget about Emma Brooks grand

3 minutes ago, Xeliou66 said:

Yeah I forgot Granny from Sick, she was truly dispicable and evil. Also what about the creep granny from Privilege, who abused her son and grandson and said she had "made her grandson into a man". What a fucking fruitloop, she was vile as well. There have been a lot of nasty older women on SVU. 

I miss the female perps, we have barely had any in recent years, it's all rich arrogant white guy who are rapists, but Nicole Keller from Motherly Love was a master manipulater. 

I miss the female perps too I got one more despicable granny Emma Brooks's grandmother from "Wet"' she cared more about the woman that Emma killed then her grandchild she went took the neeckace from her to give it to the woman's 9 year old daughter..

On ‎5‎/‎28‎/‎2017 at 8:01 AM, Xeliou66 said:

While I'm glad there is no more angry cop like Stabler or Amaro, I wish that there was a bit more political debate in the show now instead of all the characters expressing the same view like in the season finale. This is where I miss Munch, as he could provide alternative viewpoints and saw shades of gray in things and could debate with the black and white Fin, and Huang, who could provide unbiased opinions and wasn't afraid to say something different from what Benson/SVU wanted to hear. 

I agree. Not only was the ensemble just better in general, for our viewing pleasure, and to give us an idea of all (although watered down/abbreviated) the work that went into a case, everyone seemed to have their own points of view, and some (Munch) could even see more than one side, but, once he made up his mind, which was usually AFTER he got the facts, he went after the perp balls out, which I liked; he tried to be somewhat objective, THEN acted once he had the facts.

I also like how Dr. Huang would offer a pretty damn objective opinion, even if it didn't support the squad and/or their theories; he was showing facts/evidence in a different light, and it eventually helped the squad out, even if it took ALL episode for them to understand where he was coming from. Also, it was great to get a differing opinion, one that was based on study, observation, science, et al, and not on people just not liking it, etc. He often was the voice of  reason, and often was a lone dissenter, which was refreshing. Now, everyone agrees on everything, and everyone is an echo. No one has any dissention, other thoughts, different opinions, and don't dare to speak up if they do. I mean, if anyone tried to offer differing opinions from St Benson, there'd be hell to pay, but, luckily, everyone has the exact same opinion, no matter what. Dr. Huang could do what he wanted (in a sense) without fear of punishment from St Benson, or NYPD; now its one big echo chamber, for better or worse...usually worse.

• Love 1
On 5/30/2017 at 7:10 PM, Xeliou66 said:

The bitch grandma in Care, who abused foster kids and beat the little girl to death. She was pure evil, a heartless piece of shit who masqueraded as a caring, sweet granny type. Too bad she died of a heart attack while in jail, she deserved to be fried or tortured to death.

The batshit crazy woman in Surveillance who attacked the musician because the equally nuts guy she was obsessed with was obsessed with her. 

The parole officer who raped Carisi's brother in law, she was really creepy and one very nasty, cold, controlling bitch. Very creepy perp. 

I think Missy Kurtz may have been the most evil and chilling female perp ever on SVU. 

ITA about the female parole officer who raped Carisi's brother in law she was very nasty and creepy.

• Love 2
(edited)

I know there is a Barba thread thread, but I thought I would make one asking which ADA did everyone like better Alexandra Cabot or Rafael Barba? I like both of them the best of all the ADAs that have been on the show..

Edited by Redskinsfan