Type keyword(s) to search

S10.E21: The Life In The Light

When the remains of an ex-con and biker gang member-turned-yoga instructor is found in the aftermath of a forest fire, the team must navigate both worlds from the victim’s past to find the killer. Meanwhile, Booth continues working hard to beat his gambling addiction and regain Brennan's trust, and Angela and Hodgins make a big decision that will impact their future at the Jeffersonian.

*Note: This is not the finale; it airs on June 11th.

I know a lot of people have been hating on Booth for this storyline, but I think DB has done a great job with this, and I don't usually comment on the acting on this show.  He has seemed contrite and determined and frankly I have enjoyed seeing him taken down a notch after how smug he has been all season.  When Bones said she thought he should stay the night and he said, "I think I should too" it was adorable. Sweet and excited and happy.  Where has this emotion been since the wedding?

It was no secret they'd get back together, but it's still satisfying.  Paris, don't care.

Emily's eyes welled up twice and it's so weird that someone was chopping onions in my living room at the same time and my eyes welled up too.

And that look Cam made when she was given her beaker of wine made my allergies act up. Tough night for the ol' tear ducts.

It seems like this was written with the possibility there would not be another year.

Is giving a degenerate gambler a poker chip to remind him of his sobriety supposed to be a test or something?

Christine might very well be the happiest little girl in the world and being part of a broken home has only seemed to make her more cheerful.  It's almost sickening.

(edited)

She got married as Angela Pearly Gates Montenegro but if she didn't legally change her name from Pookie Noodlin, how is the marriage certificate legal?

"Pearly Gates"? Sounds like a retcon to me. I eagerly await any show Twitter explanations that might be posted on the boards. I use Twitter, but do not follow Bones stuff. Edited by shapeshifter

As I watched this show, I had a question that amazed me - actually, what amazed me is that I've been watching this show all along and didn't think of it until now. How in the world can you get trace evidence from a skeleton that's been cleaned? I mean, wouldn't bamboo come off in that wash they do?

Did they always do this and I just had my mind turned off (not an unlikely scenario), or are they just getting sloppy these days?

• Love 1

Except for the Gambling Addiction element, this episode felt like a retread of the usual Bones tropes:

• The gang is breaking up as the season ends.. (only to return next season).
  • Bones and Booth are kept apart by ... stuff. 
  • Booth and not-Sweets half-heartedly  chase down red herrings, accusing everyone of being the killer. 

The whole Gambling AA stuff felt forced and it was irritating to have everyone say "Booth has worked so hard for this".   He lost 30K, got caught lying and was kicked out of the house for a couple of weeks -- that's not exactly rock bottom when it comes to an addiction problem. 

• Love 1

As I watched this show, I had a question that amazed me - actually, what amazed me is that I've been watching this show all along and didn't think of it until now. How in the world can you get trace evidence from a skeleton that's been cleaned? I mean, wouldn't bamboo come off in that wash they do?

Did they always do this and I just had my mind turned off (not an unlikely scenario), or are they just getting sloppy these days?

In the early seasons they focused a lot on the processes that they used in the lab. There was a time when the bath they use to clean the bones was a novel thing, and they were concerned about things like not destroying evidence and the chain of custody. Now it only comes up when the writers need to slow down the case, otherwise they use hand wavy magic to explain it all away. 

I'm not saying there were better options - 10 seasons of the same repetitive processes for every case would just get old. (As with any job, I'm sure a crime lab's daily duties are not nearly as glamorous as portrayed on TV.) But they're very inconsistent about it.

Sometimes Angela can reconstruct a face from an eyelash, other times missing a tooth makes it impossible to get an identity.

The body last night had a gigantic titanium plate on his head that was barely mentioned - you're telling me breast implants have unique serial numbers that are tracked in a federal database but skull plates don't? Meh.

How about the time where the forensic anthropologist suddenly notices the giant indentation on a bone that they missed the first three times they pored over the remains? Oh? That happens every episode? Hm.

Anyway, yeah, I'm sure the cleaning process would have destroyed most of the evidence in the bones. But for a team with a street artist who can find all social media posts from a certain location and a certain time and quickly do facial recognition on all those photos, and also create 3D model rendering of exactly how murders were committed based on a knife mark in a bone, (not to mention all the Pelant magic crap, blah), what's a little trace evidence from a cleaned skeleton?

This blog reviews each episode of the show from a forensic standpoint and gives interesting insights into the actual procedures and terminology they use. There's another one out there that does the same thing that I couldn't find right now.

Sorry for the vitriol, but I really hated the entire Pelant story and the preview for next week's episode has me in a really bad mood about this show :)

• Love 4
(edited)

Mostly what I got from this episode was the meeting where Booth was introduced as Seely Booth - what part of Anonymous are they not getting?

I don't even care if Hodgins and Angela leave.

but I really hated the entire Pelant story and the preview for next week's episode has me in a really bad mood about this show :)

Good grief! They're not resurrecting Pelant are they?

Edited by Trey

In the early seasons they focused a lot on the processes that they used in the lab. There was a time when the bath they use to clean the bones was a novel thing, and they were concerned about things like not destroying evidence and the chain of custody. Now it only comes up when the writers need to slow down the case, otherwise they use hand wavy magic to explain it all away. 

I'm not saying there were better options - 10 seasons of the same repetitive processes for every case would just get old. (As with any job, I'm sure a crime lab's daily duties are not nearly as glamorous as portrayed on TV.) But they're very inconsistent about it.

Sometimes Angela can reconstruct a face from an eyelash, other times missing a tooth makes it impossible to get an identity.

The body last night had a gigantic titanium plate on his head that was barely mentioned - you're telling me breast implants have unique serial numbers that are tracked in a federal database but skull plates don't? Meh.

How about the time where the forensic anthropologist suddenly notices the giant indentation on a bone that they missed the first three times they pored over the remains? Oh? That happens every episode? Hm.

Anyway, yeah, I'm sure the cleaning process would have destroyed most of the evidence in the bones. But for a team with a street artist who can find all social media posts from a certain location and a certain time and quickly do facial recognition on all those photos, and also create 3D model rendering of exactly how murders were committed based on a knife mark in a bone, (not to mention all the Pelant magic crap, blah), what's a little trace evidence from a cleaned skeleton?

This blog reviews each episode of the show from a forensic standpoint and gives interesting insights into the actual procedures and terminology they use. There's another one out there that does the same thing that I couldn't find right now.

Sorry for the vitriol, but I really hated the entire Pelant story and the preview for next week's episode has me in a really bad mood about this show :)

You've hit the nail on the head (which the lab might miss, given that it's smaller than a metal plate).  Thanks for the link to the blog. I like it.

I agree regarding Pelant. I hated his character and story arc.

I have issues with Bones showing up at the GA meeting. That's not how it works. Booth's sponsor needs to have a little chat with her about that. I don't know if there's a GA Anon for family and friends, but she needs to go to those.

I don't think I can take another season of this, especially without Angela and Hodgins. BTW, I also don't think they're legally married if her real name isn't on the license. Maybe that will be a plot point coming up?