Type keyword(s) to search

S17.E07: George Clooney, Dwayne 'The Rock' Johnson, Hugh Laurie, Jessica Hynes, Britt Robertson, Snoop Dogg

• Start Topic

Among the guests on Graham's sofa are the one and only George Clooney in a rare UK appearance, talking about his new movie Tomorrowland, wrestling legend turned movie star Dwayne 'The Rock' Johnson, House star Hugh Laurie, from Twenty Twelve and W1A Jessica Hynes and actress Britt Robertson. Plus music and chat from Snoop Dogg.

(edited)

I'm a little disappointed that Dwayne Johnson and George Clooney weren't on the couch together.  I was quite looking forward to that.

(Also, when they showed a picture of him from his WWE days and I just must note somewhere how funny I find it that he is SO MUCH LARGER now than he was then.  I particularly noted it because they talked about his size last week when Kylie Minogue was on and he's a giant next to her.)

Edited by dusang
  • Love 1

You know its a big episode when they don't even get around to admitting Hugh Laurie is on.

Changed to add Hugh.

I put these threads up before the episode airs in the UK, and I find that often the number of guests / synopsis changes after the episode airs. I don't think BBC's official press office even know how many guests Graham has on now. He's got too many on these days.

• Love 1

I was surprised and delighted by the one hour and fifteen minute show.

More commercials? No "crossing the pond" snippage?  I was really happy with more Graham.

I used to have a huge crush on The Rock, so it was nice to see Dwayne Johnson be as funny and engaging as he was.  I literally snorted so loud I scared my dog when he said the early photo of him looked like a butch lesbian.

• Love 1

I wanted to shoot Jessica Hynes (whoever she is).  She was a pathetic fan-girl, laughing too loud, repeating Clooney, trying to get in on his anecdotes.  I prefer the old set-up of three on the couch and a musical number, but she totally broke up what could have been a hilarious double-act of Clooney and Laurie.  You could tell Clooney was trying to interact with Laurie and involve him, but she just kept getting in the way.  Ugh.

• Love 1

I didn't know they did a follow-up series to 2012. I will have to seek that out, because that show was really good. (Plus, it's nice to see Hugh Bonneville having more fun than poncing around losing all of Elizabeth McGovern's money...) Anyway, my first exposure to JH was when she played David Tennant's wife in a Martha Jones-era Doctor Who.  I do not know what she was doing with that particular hair configuration tonight, but other than that, I liked her fine. (She was on with Rock and Snoop -- the girl on with Clooney was his costar in Tomorrowland, Britt Robertson. Who might have paid more attention to how she was sitting in that skirt, bee tee dubs.)

I find it fascinating that Hugh Laurie doesn't remember the material from House. Different people have completely different memory systems, don't they? Me. I can still remember all the lyrics to thousands of pop songs, but alot of stuff I learned for school was flushed the minute the exam was over.

And wait: didn't Snoop change his spirit animal to Lion? When did he go back to Dogg?!

Johnson and Clooney were as charming and suave as ever. You can't go wrong with them.

• Love 3

I didn't know they did a follow-up series to 2012. I will have to seek that out, because that show was really good. (Plus, it's nice to see Hugh Bonneville having more fun than poncing around losing all of Elizabeth McGovern's money...) Anyway, my first exposure to JH was when she played David Tennant's wife in a Martha Jones-era Doctor Who.  I do not know what she was doing with that particular hair configuration tonight, but other than that, I liked her fine. (She was on with Rock and Snoop -- the girl on with Clooney was his costar in Tomorrowland, Britt Robertson. Who might have paid more attention to how she was sitting in that skirt, bee tee dubs.)

I find it fascinating that Hugh Laurie doesn't remember the material from House. Different people have completely different memory systems, don't they? Me. I can still remember all the lyrics to thousands of pop songs, but alot of stuff I learned for school was flushed the minute the exam was over.

And wait: didn't Snoop change his spirit animal to Lion? When did he go back to Dogg?!

Johnson and Clooney were as charming and suave as ever. You can't go wrong with them.

Thanks for the correction - didn't know either of the women.  And yes, her skirt was very distracting!  It never fails to amaze me what ridiculous clothes women wear on talk shows - they're constantly tugging up or down or flashing.  Though given how tight men's trousers have got in the past couple of years, they can be equally distracting!

I preferred the second set of guests. George Clooney's self-deprecation is wearing on me, a sentence I never thought I'd ever write. His crack about his mother was extremely rude. I also think writing celebrities on stationery with another celebrity's name on it goes way beyond the realm of "practical joke." But maybe I'm getting cranky in my old age. Hugh Laurie didn't get enough time, but that's not his fault. Graham tries, but he does tend to tilt toward the biggest star on the couch.

Dwayne Johnson's self-deprecation feels more genuine at this point. Maybe because he hasn't been at it as long as Clooney.

• Love 1
(edited)

I wanted to shoot Jessica Hynes (whoever she is).  She was a pathetic fan-girl, laughing too loud, repeating Clooney, trying to get in on his anecdotes.  I prefer the old set-up of three on the couch and a musical number, but she totally broke up what could have been a hilarious double-act of Clooney and Laurie.  You could tell Clooney was trying to interact with Laurie and involve him, but she just kept getting in the way.  Ugh.

That was Britt Robertson, Clooney and Laurie's costar in Tomorrowland. Jessica Hynes was in the second segment with Dwayne Johnson and Snoop.

ETA: Sorry, I was scrolling a bit faster than I realized and didn't see your conversation with attica.  My bad.

Edited by dusang
  • Love 1

I loved that George Clooney gave a shout out to my favorite Graham episode ever - Matt Damon, Bill Murray and Hugh Bonneville.  I was worried for second that he was going to launch into some promo for his tequila brand after he asked Graham what was in the glass and Graham said "it's your tequila."  Thankfully he didn't.  I'm overly sensitive to it, I guess, because the restaurant company I work for just started a partnership with the brand and it cracks me up how many references to George Clooney we are trying to toss out.  

Both he and Hugh Laurie got the full name treatment from Graham.  After the Kylie Minogue conversation, this is going to be my new game while watching - who does Graham always call by their full name?  I would make it a drinking game but it might get dangerous with his crowded couches.

• Love 1
(edited)
Both he and Hugh Laurie got the full name treatment from Graham.  After the Kylie Minogue conversation, this is going to be my new game while watching - who does Graham always call by their full name?  I would make it a drinking game but it might get dangerous with his crowded couches.

I noticed that too, and precisely because Kylie Minogue pointed it out previously.

I understand that George Clooney is handsome and charming and self-deprecating, but there's something about him that just smacks of smarmy to me. 

I fast-forwarded through Snoop Dog's performance, but he turned out to be pretty funny on the couch, and I liked how he encouraged the rap Jessica Hynes performed.

Edited by SmithW6079
  • Love 1

Fun show. George Clooney and Hugh Laurie were great. Dwayne Johnson didn't disappoint either. He's just loaded with charm. I couldn't get over that pic of him at 15. Those shoulders were unreal!

• Love 1