Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E12: The Audit Couple

(edited)

When the IRS decides to audit Oscar and his ex-wife Gaby, Felix offers to mediate between the contentious exes when he realizes that he might be the reason Oscar was audited in the first place.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Wasn't expecting Lauren Graham, so that was fun! She and Mr. Perry have a nice chemistry and comedic rhythm, so hopefully we will see her from time to time, like Brett Somers' Blanche.

IA with Dani-- go, Emily! Huzzah!  Hopefully, things will be delightfully dopey between Emily and Felix. For at least the next season.

"I am not saying 'Come in!!'" heh

Edited by Actionmage
(edited)

Wasn't expecting Lauren Graham, so that was fun! She and Mr. Perry have a nice chemistry and comedic rhythm, so hopefully we will see her from time to time, like Brett Somers' Blanche.

I'm the opposite. The one thing I remember from the pre series plugging is that Lauren Graham was going to be Oscar's ex. So I've been waiting and waiting.

Edited by GaryE
  • Love 1

They cribbed a bit from Mary, Mary or as they say these days, paid homage to it, otherwise I'd say good on them for finally coming up with an original premise.

I don't know, Oscar is still bad.  He shouts his lines, he doesn't seem to know what to do with his hands, his timing is off, and a hundred other things I can't describe but it all adds up to bad.  But I guess it got renewed so maybe he'll be better next year. 

• Love 1
(edited)

Oscar is still bad.  He shouts his lines, he doesn't seem to know what to do with his hands, his timing is off, and a hundred other things I can't describe but it all adds up to bad.  

Inside my head, during this show: "Has Matthew Perry always 'acted' by opening his eyes really wide? Does his forehead have whatever is the opposite of botox? Has he always done this on Friends, and I just never noticed? Should I go back and look for this on Friends? Why am I even contemplating ruining fond memories?"

nZleuZs.png

JgoL2vg.png

n85R3wW.png

xAauXMs.png

It's like watching a tarsier run lines.

Edited by Corgi-ears
  • Love 6

On Friends every one began with personality traits set on low, which were ratcheted up to the highest setting toward the end, especially with Monica, but if I recall correctly, Chandler did not do the wide-eyed thing or the spitting of lines he is doing here. It's as if he is in a race with the other actors.

Something about the show's legacy, the material or the atmosphere seems to be affecting him, because he was relaxed and great in both Go On and Mr. Sunshine.

Maybe he should model the character more on Walter Matthau's version.

Inside my head, during this show: "Has Matthew Perry always 'acted' by opening his eyes really wide? Does his forehead have whatever is the opposite of botox? Has he always done this on Friends, and I just never noticed? Should I go back and look for this on Friends? Why am I even contemplating ruining fond memories?"

nZleuZs.png

JgoL2vg.png

n85R3wW.png

xAauXMs.png

It's like watching a tarsier run lines.

• Love 2

I do the same thing! I'm so distracted by his bad acting that it overrides my thoughts about the actual show. He's just so unnatural, I can not forget for even a second that he's acting.  But I loved him in Go On, so I know he can do better.

• Love 5

Corgi-ears, your screen caps need to find their way to Matthew with the simple message of "Stop it!" If there's something to enjoy about this show (and I remain doubtful) his bizarre...I'll go with 'acting choices'...make enjoying it impossible. He's a deft comedic actor and something's gone way off the rails here.

• Love 4

Count me in among those who don't understand what's going on with Matthew Perry. Chandler was my absolute favorite character on Friends and I have watched the other projects he's done since then (I liked Go On; I watched every episode of that one and was disappointed when it was cancelled). I think he's a good actor, with a knack for both comedy and drama.

I saw the first episode of this show and thought he seemed off, but I chalked that up to nerves. Tried the second episode, but it didn't really hook me, so I tuned out. I chose to return for this episode because I enjoy Lauren Graham too, and I was surprised and befuddled by Matthew's acting. It's stiff and strained and it feels like playing to the back row. Could it still be nerves this far into the season? I don't really know, but I hope things improve. 

• Love 4
(edited)

I started making those screen caps idly because I wanted one to illustrate the wide-eyed Oscar look I meant, and, with minimal effort and before I knew it, I had 10+ from just the past episode.

If we want to cut him some slack (I too liked Go On, and even watched Mr Sunshine [yay]), it's possible that Perry just has a lot of trouble playing "irritated exasperation" -- even great actors can have trouble with specific affects. But if so, then we're in for a bumpy ride, given how exasperation is supposed to be Oscar's default reaction to Felix. Then again maybe the writers should course-correct (dramaturgically justifiable, given the "we've come to a new understanding" scene that ends Season 1), and try writing other reactions for Oscar in Season 2. May I suggest "bewilderment"? "Befuddlement"? Beyoncé? Or Perry might do well looking into hiring an acting coach (just for refresher lessons, of course). Well, as long as that coach isn't Joey -- Perry already looks like he smelt a fart in some of those screenshots.

Edited by Corgi-ears
  • Love 2

I actually thought this was one of Perry's best episodes. I laughed when he barked at Felix. I really liked this episode. Very sweet wrap up to the Felix/Emily story.

I always thought Jack Klugman was a bit of a shouter too. I remember Joe Flaraghty of SCTV doing a great impression of Klugman. "Quincy : Cartoon Coroner ". I've been watching Quincy on Netflix and I keep thinking of that SCTV skit.

I am a HUUUUUUGGGGE Matthew Perry fan girl, dating back to when he was Carol's boyfriend who died because of a drunk driving accident on a Very Special Episode of Growing Pains. I think I have watched every TV project he has ever done, and I have always thought he was pretty talented, so I'm baffled by what must be deliberate choices in how he plays Oscar. Because I love him so unconditionally (LOL) I actually find it really uncomfortable to watch at times, although I have stuck with it (mostly because Thomas Lennon is a FRICKIN' GEM) and it seems like he relaxed a little as the show went on, so hopefully he'll calm down even more next season.

• Love 4