Type keyword(s) to search

Spoilers and Spoiler Speculation: Benchmarking

• Start Topic

Yeah, its tough when the info provided really only covers the first couple of episodes.  I think that the first part of this storyline (if they actually delve into like they should) will be about the aftermath of the Alex/DeLuca beating, with probably Maggie getting on Alex's case about it (and Owen as Chief).  Meredith will give a lecture and Steph and Cross may talk shit behind Alex's back, but beyond that I'm not sure who will care.  I do hope that there are some kind consequences, but again, this is a hospital where throwing punches means its Tuesday.  Then the storyline will move on to Jo and Alex and they will drag out her telling him probably until the husband conveniently and preposterously shows up at the mid-season finale.  In the meantime, Jo will once again become some kind of pariah and DeLuca will badger her to tell Alex the truth.

There may be a huge backlash if the writers make this all about Alex (like Downtown Abbey made Anna's rape all about Bates), but since this is Jo we are talking about fans may not be as outraged on her behalf.  And domestic violence is a hot button issue these days, so I hope that Shonda and the writers realize that they need to handle it with care.  I agree with windsprints that this is a story where we could potentially empathize with both characters.  Jo clearly loves Alex and didn't want to lose him, she knows him well and feels like she couldn't tell him, so I can't hate on her for that.  I also think that Alex beating up DeLuca was meant to reinforce Jo's reasoning.  But I also won't blame Alex for feeling lied to and betrayed because it is a huge thing and she could have found a better way to handle it.  But that is really on the writers for pulling this story out of their ass after so long.  

So while I am prepared to be extremely disappointed with this storyline, there is potential there and I am looking forward to seeing it play out.

• Love 2

'Grey's Anatomy' Season 13 to Open With (Emotionally) Explosive Drama

A lot of what we've heard already but it does have this:

For Alex, Jo and DeLuca, meanwhile, season 13 will begin with the wake of Alex's beat-down of DeLuca and Jo's decision about whether or not to tell her boyfriend that she's already married.

"Jo has got to decide whether she wants to use this opportunity to finally come clean to Alex about her past or if it's just too great and she'll keep burying the secret. But if she chooses to bury the secret, she chooses to lose Alex," Gianniotti says.

DeLuca, however, will have a more central role with Alex this season than ever after the brutal beating. "Because Alex misinterpreted the situation and beat DeLuca so badly, he's going to have a lot of legal consequences to deal with," he says.

I'm glad to see its not all being swept under the rug in the first episode. 

Edited by windsprints
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, windsprints said:

I'm glad to see its not all being swept under the rug in the first episode. 

Yeah, my guess is that the first couple of episodes will deal with the immediate aftermath of the beating (sounds like Alex will get taken to court) and then the stuff with the domestic violence and Jo will be explored.  They can't really do much with it until either Alex finds out or the husband miraculously shows up.  What are the chances that the lawsuit between Alex and DeLuca will somehow lead the husband to Jo?  Its bound to be  contrived and soapy, however he gets there.  Of course, there is always the chance that he never shows up.

• Love 2

"Jo has got to decide whether she wants to use this opportunity to finally come clean to Alex about her past or if it's just too great and she'll keep burying the secret. But if she chooses to bury the secret, she chooses to lose Alex," Gianniotti says.

Calling it now she chooses not to tell him and the break up in the premiere. 

At least DeLuca gets a central role though.. Eyeroll.

• Love 1
13 hours ago, Deanie87 said:

I do hope that there are some kind consequences, but again, this is a hospital where throwing punches means its Tuesday.

There may be a huge backlash if the writers make this all about Alex (like Downtown Abbey made Anna's rape all about Bates), but since this is Jo we are talking about fans may not be as outraged on her behalf.  And domestic violence is a hot button issue these days, so I hope that Shonda and the writers realize that they need to handle it with care.  I agree with windsprints that this is a story where we could potentially empathize with both characters.  Jo clearly loves Alex and didn't want to lose him, she knows him well and feels like she couldn't tell him, so I can't hate on her for that.  I also think that Alex beating up DeLuca was meant to reinforce Jo's reasoning.  But I also won't blame Alex for feeling lied to and betrayed because it is a huge thing and she could have found a better way to handle it.  

But that is really on the writers for pulling this story out of their ass after so long. 

I would hope that they would depict Jo being upset or disturbed that Alex has such a violent side, given that she is supposed to have run away from an abusive marriage, and show Alex, not just feeling remorse for misunderstanding the situation, but also feeling guilty about losing control like that and injuring another person.

You mentioned Downton Abbey's story about Anna getting raped and how the producers made this all about Bates. I hated that story and it really bothered me that the focus on the aftermath wasn't about Anna and her struggle. Since GA is a female-centric show, I think/hope that the show will handle this well and will explore Jo's perspective. 

I wonder if this storyline was something they had planned earlier, but it's development was derailed by Patrick Dempsey leaving and the need to reframe Meredith's story. If Jo's backstory involving an abusive ex had rolled out in season 11 and 12, it wouldn't seem so out of the blue. It would make sense that she would not want to divulge her past if they had only been dating a year or so. At the end of season 9, she and Chest Peckwell beat each other up and she refers to a past abusive relationship, so maybe hiding from an abusive husband was part of her original backstory. Who am I to say? 

The part of her backstory that seems to definitely have been invented to service this plot point is her changing her identity. Also when would she have been married - in college or med school? It's hard for me to buy into this whole backstory as well as the abandoned baby/ foster child backstory because Jo seems fairly well-adjusted. 

I'm glad there will be consequences for Alex beating up DeLuca. There should be. Still, I'm going to need several characters to not say a word.

I'm with you. I don't want it swept under the rug but I also don't want Alex treated more harshly than everyone else has been for their missteps/crimes over the past 12 seasons. Fines, community service or mandated anger management/counseling would all have him have him facing consequences without being too harsh for a tv show where others have snipped LVADS, committed fraud, etc.  In the end I'd like to see some self reflection from him.

I also definitely don't want it to be all about Alex (even though he's my fave).  Jo's story deserves to be the bigger story at least initially. Domestic violence is too serious a topic to skate by without giving it proper attention (at least as much as Grey's will give stories involving characters other than Meredith). I want time given to it and not have it be "Jo is a lying bitch, poor Alex, everyone hates Jo, secret comes out/Alex forgives then Alex/Jo back together in the next episode and we find out when he tells Meredith".  I'm cautiously optimistic that it will be a decent storyline.  I am dreading the inevitable Alex living with the sisters while he and Jo are dealing with the fallout but overall I'm looking forward to it.

I have no idea if the story was planned earlier but I agree it would have been better a couple of seasons ago. The time jumps made it worse.

Edited by windsprints
  • Love 2

Also, what we've heard about Jo's abusive marriage has only been about physical violence. If Grey's wants to be relevant, the writers should step up and address other forms of abuse--marital rape, surveillance and control, gas lighting, power imbalance, depersonalizing emotional abuse. Experience with that would explain more about Jo and why her relationship with Alex was actually pretty healthy. 

On 8/26/2016 at 0:30 AM, mdw said:

Since GA is a female-centric show, I think/hope that the show will handle this well and will explore Jo's perspective. 

I disagree about the analogy to Anna and Bates on Downton: Anna and Bates were both beloved members of the original cast, but Anna was actually more involved in main plots than Bates. So, Anna was the Alex in terms of screen time, and only the Jo in terms of perspective.

And actually, I sort of hope Grey's takes a page from the Downton playbook, because (unlike Downton's Anna) Jo has been such a non-entity. I can't believe I'm saying I hope they tell the story from Alex's POV, but...I do. I would care about what happened to Jo, insomuch as it affects Alex, because I care more about Alex than Jo. I can also see Grey's using this platform as sort of a "teachable moment" about how men should react to women who were victims of domestic violence (kind of like how Maggie taught Amelia how not to be a racist last year with Stephanie's situation). It also gives them the opportunity -- which many may dread, but you know it's coming -- to bring Meredith in to the story as a sounding board or whatnot.

There are very few shows who I would trust to have a male POV character in a domestic violence story, but Grey's is one of them. I just think it would be a better story, because I think Alex is a better character. If we jump into "Poor Jo!", I'm going to feel awfully manipulated. Giving her a sad backstory didn't make me like her then, so giving her an even sadder backstory is not going to make me like her now. Seeing how Alex can help her through it though...now we're talking.

• Love 3
14 hours ago, Eolivet said:

I disagree about the analogy to Anna and Bates on Downton: Anna and Bates were both beloved members of the original cast, but Anna was actually more involved in main plots than Bates. So, Anna was the Alex in terms of screen time, and only the Jo in terms of perspective.

And actually, I sort of hope Grey's takes a page from the Downton playbook, because (unlike Downton's Anna) Jo has been such a non-entity. I can't believe I'm saying I hope they tell the story from Alex's POV, but...I do. I would care about what happened to Jo, insomuch as it affects Alex, because I care more about Alex than Jo. I can also see Grey's using this platform as sort of a "teachable moment" about how men should react to women who were victims of domestic violence (kind of like how Maggie taught Amelia how not to be a racist last year with Stephanie's situation). It also gives them the opportunity -- which many may dread, but you know it's coming -- to bring Meredith in to the story as a sounding board or whatnot.

There are very few shows who I would trust to have a male POV character in a domestic violence story, but Grey's is one of them. I just think it would be a better story, because I think Alex is a better character. If we jump into "Poor Jo!", I'm going to feel awfully manipulated. Giving her a sad backstory didn't make me like her then, so giving her an even sadder backstory is not going to make me like her now. Seeing how Alex can help her through it though...now we're talking.

Jo is never going to get beyond non-entity status unless she gets some decent and consistent writing that actually shows and not tells her story, and does it in a way that puts her character in some kind of context other than Alex's girlfriend and whiny intern/resident who reminds everyone that she lived in her every other episode.  As soapy and as unthought-out as this story sounds like it will be, I think its her story to tell.  And, like you, I don't want it told in a way that makes it "poor Jo, yet again the victim."  I hope it helps her revert back to the stronger, snarkier woman that was originally introduced in season 9.  I want it to be more of a story about what she has overcome than a continuation of her sad-luck victim narrative and I really don't want it to come from the angle of "damaged, lying bitch who doesn't deserve Alex" either.  These writers have been known to redeem/re-calibrate a character in the past (and also to destroy them), so its possible that Jo can get a well needed and much deserved do-over if the writers just pick a lane and write her consistently and realistically, and with empathy and humor.  It doesn't have to be manipulative and she doesn't even need to be written over sympathetically, but she does need to be written in a way that makes sense and that we understand why she made the choices that she did, even if we don't like them or "approve" of them.

Of course I want to get Alex's perspective in all of this, but I don't think that it needs to be at the expense of Jo's point of view or her characterization. The story will probably ultimately be about them as a couple and how they work through this together, and hopefully the writers can do it without making one person act completely out of character with no context whatsoever (ahem...Japril), or skip over huge moments of the story.  Of all of the characters, Alex has the most experience with domestic violence and I think it could be interesting if they find a way to do it without going the predictable Alex the Woman Saver route.  And Meredith can just stay the fuck out of it as far as I'm concerned, same goes for Maggie.  YMMV, but I ended up LOATHING both Anna and, especially Bates, by the end of DA, so I want to see something different here.  

I mean to reply to this earlier:  In her post finale interviews, CL mentioned that she was told that the husband was powerful and charismatic, which is more interesting to me than a TV run of the mill low-life abuser.  Knowing Grey's he is probably someone big in the medical field or something like that and that will be the connections to Seattle Grace, just to make it soapier.  That is if the writers have really thought it through and give some depth to the story.  With so many characters, though, I"m not sure it will be as well thought out and detailed as I would like.

8/26/2016 at 5:49 PM, Pinecone said:

Also, what we've heard about Jo's abusive marriage has only been about physical violence. If Grey's wants to be relevant, the writers should step up and address other forms of abuse--marital rape, surveillance and control, gas lighting, power imbalance, depersonalizing emotional abuse. Experience with that would explain more about Jo and why her relationship with Alex was actually pretty healthy. 

Edited by Deanie87
Forgot to reply to other comment
  • Love 2

I want it to be more of a story about what she has overcome than a continuation of her sad-luck victim narrative  

This, 100%. I think in order to get this started they can't drag out Jo not telling Alex about her past. If she doesn't then it just adds "Alex dumped me" to her sad list.  I want to see her tell Alex and for both of them to work through it and fight for their relationship. Jo would have had to have left her abusive husband at a young age.  A young woman having come from nothing (as she's told us 300x she lived in her car) being brave enough to leave and start over on her own could be a decent story for Jo who desperately needs some development. 

Of course I want to get Alex's perspective in all of this, but I don't think that it needs to be at the expense of Jo's point of view or her characterization. The story will probably ultimately be about them as a couple and how they work through this together, and hopefully the writers can do it without making one person act completely out of character with no context whatsoever (ahem...Japril), or skip over huge moments of the story.  Of all of the characters, Alex has the most experience with domestic violence and I think it could be interesting if they find a way to do it without going the predictable Alex the Woman Saver route.

I definitely don't want it one sided either. I just want Jo's side to get some focus since its an important issue and she hasn't had any focus in seasons. I also want to see how Alex deals with it all and how he can come to terms with Jo having not have told him. Alex's background should come into play but I don't think Alex the Woman Saver will mainly because Jo already saved herself from the abuse by creating an entire new life.

And Meredith can just stay the fuck out of it as far as I'm concerned, same goes for Maggie.

+1

The potential is there for it to be a balanced storyline that can make both characters and the couple stronger.  I'm hoping they do it justice and it doesn't turn out like Japril losing the baby. I thought that storyline had so much potential but all the time jumps and April running multiple times pretty much ruined it.  We'll see in a few weeks!

• Love 3
On 23. 8. 2016 at 9:45 AM, Chas411 said:

I don't know while I can see my be one or two characters giving him crap for his actions I reckon the rest (Meredith namely) will just blame Jo because she LIED and Alex hates that because he's had a bad childhood.

i mean that seems to be the main message of the storyline so far. Not that Jo is actually the victim of domestic abuse and was rendered so terrified that she felt she had to change her name and delete her past. No the real point is that she lied rendering her unworthy of Alex and finally giving Meredith (and various Jolex, jo haters) an actual solid reason  to say she's not good enough for Alex.

I so agree.

I only hope ther won´t be a law trial for ???? episodes between Alex and Deluca, just like they did for the plane crash, fiasco in S9 which was terrible to watch.

It seems to me that Jo and her story will get lost amidst Alex and Deluca drama who will both become front and central. I fear the writers will fail Jo again and only make her a liar.

Edited by Nobodysfan

I agree that a trial would be too much, but an arrest and some court-ordered therapy for Alex would be a juicy storyline. And if at the same time Jo gets it together and fights her way into divorce court, that would be great. I like both actors and their characters; I just want them to have good, coherently written storylines. 

• Love 2

I like Arizona, but two episodes away right off the bat is a good thing to me. Caterina said that Amelia and Owen aren't in the premiere much, and now we know that Arizona isn't there at all - so that means a lot more time to focus on Alex / Jo, etc. I also hope they stick with that they're promising and have a real focus on our four original characters early in the season. Bailey has been used as a prop for other characters for so long that she's turned into a cliched (and often annoying) version of her past self... and she was one of my favourite characters for many, many years. I want a story that really shows us how she feels and what she's been going through. Give her a real point of view again. No more attention-grabby 3-episode arcs where she suddenly has OCD or her husband likes to cut open pregnant women. 

Edited by BaseOps
  • Love 2

Official synopsis for 13x01: 

When one of Grey Sloan's own becomes a patient in the hospital, Bailey tries to figure out what happened; Meredith struggles with secrets that impact her relationships with Alex and Maggie; April and Catherine are at odds over the new baby.

There's also a brief promo airing on ABC showing DeLuca coming out of an ambulance and Meredith telling Alex "You could go to jail!" 

I'm hoping we see all of the originals sort of band together here around Alex, and then Jo too. Perhaps at first Alex will tell Meredith that he caught DeLuca with Jo, so they'll assume she was in the wrong. It sounds like Meredith is keeping his 'secret', AKA not telling anyone that he's the one who beat DeLuca. But I like that Bailey is the one trying to figure out what happened because I'd love to see her find out and have a real talk with Alex. I miss the exploration of Bailey's relationships with her original interns (they did a bit with Bailey / Meredith early last year, which I really liked). Anyway, I hope that by the end of the premiere everything is out in the open and Alex knows about Jo's past, etc. I'm excited about this storyline. 

I'm also very glad that they're doing this story at all; at the end of last year a lot of people were expecting the premiere to pick up with DeLuca having a little bruise but not making anything of his beating. It seems that they're really following through and going to explore the consequences of Alex's actions rather than glossing it over and moving on. 

Edited by BaseOps
  • Love 2
4 hours ago, BaseOps said:

There's also a brief promo airing on ABC showing DeLuca coming out of an ambulance and Meredith telling Alex "You could go to jail!" 

4 hours ago, BaseOps said:

Thanks for posting the synopsis and the links to the promo clips on the media board.  I like the episode description and the focus on the three storylines (Meredith/Riggs/Maggie, Jolex, Japril). I really liked the finale. It was dramatic and emotional without having any gut wrenching tragedies. 

It seems that the focus on Jolex will be the repercussions of Alex beating up Deluca. I hope that Jo tells Alex about her past sooner rather than later. If she doesn't tell him right away, I can't see them staying together. I think in the season that Jo will sue for divorce and we will see her husband. Assuming the other characters learn about Jo's past, I hope that some of them, like Bailey and Webber, are supportive of her.

It looks like and hopefully it will be that the Maggie/Meredith/Riggs story will be light-hearted and Maggie will be let down gently from her crush at the wedding.

Hopefully, April and Catherine will clear the air, or Jackson will run interference. 

32 minutes ago, mdw said:

It looks like and hopefully it will be that the Maggie/Meredith/Riggs story will be light-hearted and Maggie will be let down gently from her crush at the wedding.

It seems it will be played for laughs indeed.

I get the impression from how they are writing the story like two high school girls and a boy in between. And the wedding reception like a high school prom dance. Who will dance with whom? Seeing the short footage from the premiere, I feel like the writers could have done a better job and overall how they made Meredith and Nathan sleep with each other, then we find out Maggie has a crush on him.  The whole storyline seems so immature to me.  Really stupid.

We will see whether the writers come up with something worth watching. But seeing awkward Maggie hopping in front of Nathan probably asking him to dance with her in front of Meredith is totally weird for an adult drama. But it is what it is - Greys Anatomy style.

My expectations for this show are probably too high.  

Edited by Nobodysfan
5 hours ago, Chas411 said:

Who wants to bet money that this ends up being all Jos fault. I can already hear the self righteous rant Meredith or someone will be throwing at her.

I won´t bet money, but I agree, Jo will be the one blamed for everything.  

54 minutes ago, mdw said:

It seems that the focus on Jolex will be the repercussions of Alex beating up Deluca. I hope that Jo tells Alex about her past sooner rather than later. If she doesn't tell him right away, I can't see them staying together. I think in the season that Jo will sue for divorce and we will see her husband. Assuming the other characters learn about Jo's past, I hope that some of them, like Bailey and Webber, are supportive of her.

I would think that Jo would have to tell Alex ASAP, now that Deluca knows (by the way, does he have a first name?  I mean, I'm sure they've said it at some point but I can't remember it for the life of me...).  I'm not a huge Jolex fan (well, more of not being a huge Jo fan), but what I DON'T want to see is Deluca telling Alex. I think that would just amp up a situation that is pretty much already at a fever pitch.

• Love 1
11 minutes ago, Nobodysfan said:

It seems it will be played for laughs indeed.

I get the impression from how they are writing the story like two high school girls and a boy in between. And the wedding reception like a high school prom dance. Who will dance with whom? Seeing the short footage from the premiere, I feel like the writers could have done a better job and overall how they made Meredith and Nathan sleep with each other, then we find out Maggie has a crush on him.  The whole storyline seems so immature to me.  Really stupid.

We will see whether the writers come up with something worth watching. But seeing awkward Maggie hopping in front of Nathan probably asking him to dance with her in front of Meredith is totally weird for an adult drama. But it is what it is - Greys Anatomy style.

My expectations for this show are probably too high.  

There is a deleted scene on YouTube or GA's Facebook page of Alex and Maggie driving where she talks about her burgeoning crush on Riggs to Alex. The scene is from the episode before the finale. It puts her confession to Meredith at the wedding into context so it doesn't seem so out of the blue. This SL does seem immature for an adult drama but didn't they write the character of Maggie as someone who is socially immature, especially with relationships. I think her backstory is that she was gifted growing up and was several years younger than her classmates so she never really dated.

I agree with you about having high expectations of GA that may be too high. I have taken breaks from watching it at different times. When I've come back to it, I realize how good it can be, but the things that irked me before come up and bug me again. The thing that has bugged me most this season is Rigg's backstory with Owen's sister. I like that Meredith has a love interest who has also lost the love of his life. I like the fact that Owen and Riggs have a dark backstory for them to explore-that they once were best friends and that something happened that made Owen hate Riggs. I don't like that GA invented a sister for Owen, whom Riggs cheated on and who then died. I wish that Riggs's dead fiancée had no connection to Owen and that Riggs' falling out with Owen had something to do with a failed mission in the war that Owen blamed Riggs for. But Grey's is Grey's.

• Love 1
9 minutes ago, OtterMommy said:

I would think that Jo would have to tell Alex ASAP, now that Deluca knows (by the way, does he have a first name?  I mean, I'm sure they've said it at some point but I can't remember it for the life of me...).  I'm not a huge Jolex fan (well, more of not being a huge Jo fan), but what I DON'T want to see is Deluca telling Alex. I think that would just amp up a situation that is pretty much already at a fever pitch.

No way do I see Alex finding out any time soon. I'm pretty sure the only reason they had Alex beat DeLuca up, especially badly enough to put him in the hospital, is to drag out the secret. 

• Love 2

I call it that because of Alex's violent reaction to DeLuca Jo won't tell him about her secret in the premiere and as a result Jolex will break up and the secret will be dragged out until probably midseason. 

• Love 3
18 hours ago, mdw said:

There is a deleted scene on YouTube or GA's Facebook page of Alex and Maggie driving where she talks about her burgeoning crush on Riggs to Alex. The scene is from the episode before the finale. It puts her confession to Meredith at the wedding into context so it doesn't seem so out of the blue. This SL does seem immature for an adult drama but didn't they write the character of Maggie as someone who is socially immature, especially with relationships. I think her backstory is that she was gifted growing up and was several years younger than her classmates so she never really dated.

I agree with you about having high expectations of GA that may be too high. I have taken breaks from watching it at different times. When I've come back to it, I realize how good it can be, but the things that irked me before come up and bug me again. The thing that has bugged me most this season is Rigg's backstory with Owen's sister. I like that Meredith has a love interest who has also lost the love of his life. I like the fact that Owen and Riggs have a dark backstory for them to explore-that they once were best friends and that something happened that made Owen hate Riggs. I don't like that GA invented a sister for Owen, whom Riggs cheated on and who then died. I wish that Riggs's dead fiancée had no connection to Owen and that Riggs' falling out with Owen had something to do with a failed mission in the war that Owen blamed Riggs for. But Grey's is Grey's.

I agree 100%. Nothing more to add really, just that I think that in season 13 finale (the probability is high) Owen´s sister will be miraculously revived and a similar situation like when Addison appeared in S1 finale once Derek and Meredith were a sort of couple, so this will happen again with Nathan on Meredith´s side and Megan instead of Addison will come out of nowhere. I would bet anything on this.

Edited by Nobodysfan
5 minutes ago, Nobodysfan said:

I agree 100%. Nothing more to add really, just that I think that in season 13 finale (the probability is high) Owen´s siter will be miraculously revived and a similar situation like when Addison appeared in S1 finale once Derek and Meredith were a sort of couple, so this will happen again with Nathan on Meredith´s side and Megan instead of Addison will come out of nowhere. I would bet anything on this.

I think you're right about this, though I hope they don't do this. 

3 hours ago, Nobodysfan said:

I agree 100%. Nothing more to add really, just that I think that in season 13 finale (the probability is high) Owen´s sister will be miraculously revived and a similar situation like when Addison appeared in S1 finale once Derek and Meredith were a sort of couple, so this will happen again with Nathan on Meredith´s side and Megan instead of Addison will come out of nowhere. I would bet anything on this.

I don't know if it just happens to be a theory that's run rampant through the circles I seem to speculate in, but I keep seeing people think that Owen's sister will be Arizona's new girlfriend. Which I would hate.

• Love 2
36 minutes ago, CED9 said:

I don't know if it just happens to be a theory that's run rampant through the circles I seem to speculate in, but I keep seeing people think that Owen's sister will be Arizona's new girlfriend. Which I would hate.

I agree that's pushing it...I'm not ready for a Sister-Arizona-Riggs-Meredith-Maggie love pentagon....

• Love 5
1 hour ago, CED9 said:

When I read the article about Arizona's new love interest, it sounded to me like it may be a current character.  Which...meh.  There are enough characters as it is, but that would kind of come out of nowhere as far as I'm concerned.  

No way do I see Alex finding out any time soon. I'm pretty sure the only reason they had Alex beat DeLuca up, especially badly enough to put him in the hospital, is to drag out the secret. 

I agree.  I'm guessing he will somehow find out in the mid-season finale.  Either someone will tell him or the husband will conveniently show up at just the right moment.  The beatdown was so that Jo will see what Alex is capable of (even though she kind of already knew.)  I'm cautiously onboard with this, unless they somehow have Jo cringe in terror every time Alex is near.  Alex has temper, and has lashed out before, but he has never been portrayed as kind of violent woman abuser so if they go that way with it, I'm out.  Unfortunately, it won't shock me if somehow Jo tries to pull Alex off of DeLuca and she gets hit in the process by accident.  Just to up the already soapy drama.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, CED9 said:

What???

I would not have thought of this idea. I need to do more practice on speculating since it seems I am still only a beginner, some people are quite proficient.

Never ever would I have thought of this.

Possible, possible. A woman with amnesia who comes with a new identity not Megan. A myriad of possibilities....

But I feel Megan will reappear in whatever identity shape in S13. I saw Kevin McKidd tweeted to Sasha Alexander some time ago, something along the words like come to the show and be Owen´s sister. He must now this idea of the sister coming is being talked about in writer´s room. Proof: "Hey Sash ! Your the best - come over here and be my on screen sister ! #bypopulardemand" 

To be honest I like Sasha, a lovely actress. 

In my humble speculatory ideas I see Maggie turning to be bisexual, after the fiasco with her first ex, then another man that radiologist, then Nathan debacle which will most likely happen, so she will turn to ladies - Arizona. 

But again I can be wrong.

I once thought Amelia would be bisexual and start a thing with Arizona. 

Edited by Nobodysfan
1 hour ago, OtterMommy said:

I agree that's pushing it...I'm not ready for a Sister-Arizona-Riggs-Meredith-Maggie love pentagon....

Love pentagon, haha, triangles are already cliché, right?

Edited by Nobodysfan
  • Love 2
19 minutes ago, Nobodysfan said:
1 hour ago, CED9 said:

19 minutes ago, Nobodysfan said:

What???

I would not have thought of this idea. I need to do more practice on speculating since it seems I am still only a beginner, some people are quite proficient.

Never ever would I have thought of this.

Possible, possible. A woman with amnesia who comes with a new identity not Megan. A myriad of possibilities....

But I feel Megan will reappear in whatever identity shape in S13.

In my humble speculatory ideas I see Maggie turning to be bisexual, after the fiasco with her first ex, then another man that radiologist, then Nathan debacle which will most likely happen, so she will turn to ladies - Arizona. 

But again I can be wrong.

I once thought Amelia would be bisexual and start a thing with Arizona. 

I thought the same about Arizona and Amelia back in the day when I thought the writers paid attention to their timeline which would've put them at Hopkins at the same time.

• Love 2
6 minutes ago, CED9 said:

I thought the same about Arizona and Amelia back in the day when I thought the writers paid attention to their timeline which would've put them at Hopkins at the same time.

Really? Nice. I wanted this selfishly so that Owen does not end up with her but now I really do not care about Amen or Omelia or whoever they are.

Edited by Nobodysfan

I really don't know which current character could be Arizona's love interest. Amelia would have maybe made sense back in the day, but that ship has long sailed. Maggie? God no. April? LOL. Bailey? Well, for the lulz, why not. Unless it's someone really minor, like that hot biracial (?) intern who appeared in a few episodes. Heh, why not her. 

I just hope it's not something totally outrageous, like Owen's sister with a new face after the accident and amnesia. And who also happens to be the new chief of ortho. 

• Love 3
17 minutes ago, Joana said:

I really don't know which current character could be Arizona's love interest. Amelia would have maybe made sense back in the day, but that ship has long sailed. Maggie? God no. April? LOL. Bailey? Well, for the lulz, why not. Unless it's someone really minor, like that hot biracial (?) intern who appeared in a few episodes. Heh, why not her. 

I just hope it's not something totally outrageous, like Owen's sister with a new face after the accident and amnesia. And who also happens to be the new chief of ortho. 

I hope AZ's love interest is not a character who is already on the show. I think it would be better if it were someone new who is out as a lesbian and not someone who discovers she's bisexual as she falls for AZ. They've already done that story with Callie and Erica Hahn. Also, all the established female characters know AZ. Why would they all of a sudden want to get together with her?

If Owen's sister comes back, where has she been all this time? When is she supposed to have disappeared anyways? Owen came on in s5 as Cristina's new love interest. His backstory was that he had served in the Iraq War and suffered from post-traumatic stress. He had a close friendship with Teddy that had some romantic undertones. I think he was engaged to a woman who was kind of traditional before he left for Iraq. I know that they made up this backstory with the sister for s12, but what I don't get is when all this stuff with his sister and Nathan was supposed to have happened and wouldn't he have told Cristina about it? I don't mind some inconsistencies and holes in my favorite dramas, but this one and the appearance of Meredith's secret illegit sister goes too far into daytime soap territory. It's one of those things that bugs me.

• Love 3

Arizona needs a fresh, new, drama-free relationship. At least to start off. Sticking Callie with Penny just to shoe-horn that red devil into the story was a giant mistake and it really hindered Callie's storyline (and, sadly, her exit). I hope the writers saw and noted the reaction to that. If they do something as contrived as sticking Arizona with Owen's sister, it would be too implausible and just plain soapy. As @mdw noted, they've already started pushing into the overly-soapy storylines in the past year or two, so I hope they stay away from more contrivances like that. 

• Love 2

This was the part of the EW article that made me think that Arizona's new love interest was someone that we have already met:

While Rhimes stays coy on who the love interest might be, the Shondaland boss stresses that she doesn’t want to force the relationship. “You don’t want to just stick two people together,” Rhimes says. “I want to do it organically and I want the audience to be rooting for it. So I think we’re going to have fun with it.”

If its someone who who is already a regular on the show, the obvious choice(s) would be Maggie or Stephanie, simply because they aren't currently paired up with anyone.  But both of these options seem kind of contrived, not to mention unoriginal, as Arizona has already dealt with someone just discovery their bi-sexuality, unless of course either character mentions that they have been bisexual forever and just never mentioned it.  The same would be true for Megan since she was in some kind of long term relationship with Riggs.  It could also be a character who has been on the periphery who we don't know much about (some random intern, the patient who Arizona treated a couple of seasons ago or Nicole the paramedic or something.)  The way the article is worded, just sounds like Shonda knows who it will be and that leads me to believe it isn't just some new character  yet to be introduced.

• Love 1

The full press release adds a small tidbit; 

“Undo” – When one of Grey Sloan’s own lands in the hospital, Bailey tries to figure out what happened while the rest of the doctors jump in to help. Meredith juggles huge secrets that affect her relationships with Alex and Maggie. While Richard helps Jo with a big decision, April and Catherine clash over the new baby, on the season thirteen premiere of “Grey’s Anatomy,” THURSDAY, SEPTEMBER 22 (8:00-9:00 p.m. EDT), on the ABC Television Network.

Nice to see all four originals involved in the premiere, and it's pretty cool that they all sort of centre around the Alex / Jo story. 

Edited by BaseOps
16 hours ago, Joana said:

This is the scenario which is possible in Shondaland. I think the chances are pretty high for this to happen. I definitely believe Megan will come back as a doctor with amnesia and different facial features after her face has been remade following severe burns/fractures on her face which she must have suffered in the plane crash. Typical soap opera plot and Greys is one. 

There will have to be a new chief of Ortho but no name has been announced yet who will fill up Sara´s shoes. Odd.

16 hours ago, mdw said:

I hope AZ's love interest is not a character who is already on the show. I think it would be better if it were someone new who is out as a lesbian and not someone who discovers she's bisexual as she falls for AZ. They've already done that story with Callie and Erica Hahn. Also, all the established female characters know AZ. Why would they all of a sudden want to get together with her?

If Owen's sister comes back, where has she been all this time? When is she supposed to have disappeared anyways? Owen came on in s5 as Cristina's new love interest. His backstory was that he had served in the Iraq War and suffered from post-traumatic stress. He had a close friendship with Teddy that had some romantic undertones. I think he was engaged to a woman who was kind of traditional before he left for Iraq. I know that they made up this backstory with the sister for s12, but what I don't get is when all this stuff with his sister and Nathan was supposed to have happened and wouldn't he have told Cristina about it? I don't mind some inconsistencies and holes in my favorite dramas, but this one and the appearance of Meredith's secret illegit sister goes too far into daytime soap territory. It's one of those things that bugs me.

Greys writers´  inconsistency at its best. They just make up stuff out of nowhere, literally nowhere. Illogical and irrational. We would have seen a scene if they ever knew Owen had a sister him talking to Cristina about Megan´s fate in S5 or S6. He would have told her such  a huge thing like he told her about the death of his platoon. Writers just made up Megan and Nathan so that Hunt has something to do once Cristina has left. The same for Maggie´s introduction, just to fill in the space after Cristina left.

Edited by Nobodysfan
  • Love 1
5 minutes ago, Chas411 said:

Excited for Richard/Jo scenes. It's nice to see that someone will be supporting her. What's the big decision though? 

I'm guessing it's whether or not to tell Alex? Or considering filing for divorce? 

• Love 1

I think it will be whether to turn Alex in for assaulting DeLuca. She is a witness and DeLuca will most likely spill eventually so she doesn't have much choice. 

I think they are going to drag the secret, the husband, the breakup,  the misunderstandings, etc., out for the majority of the season.  But hey - something, however contrived and soapy, is better than nothing!  I'm very, very psyched about a possible Richard/Jo friendship.  If someone has to be involved he is a better choice than most!

• Love 2
2 hours ago, Deanie87 said:

The way the article is worded, just sounds like Shonda knows who it will be and that leads me to believe it isn't just some new character  yet to be introduced.

The way I interpret it is that it's a new character, but one who won't be immediately introduced as Girlfriend of Arizona (a la Penny/Callie) and instead we'll see the inception of the relationship play out. 

• Love 2

I think it will be whether to turn Alex in for assaulting DeLuca. She is a witness and DeLuca will most likely spill eventually so she doesn't have much choice. 

If she turns him in I think it could be the end of Jolex. I can't see how he could forgive her for turning him into the police and I certainly can't see fans ever forgiving her for it given how harsh they are on her at the best of times.

• Love 1
10 minutes ago, Chas411 said:

If she turns him in I think it could be the end of Jolex. I can't see how he could forgive her for turning him into the police and I certainly can't see fans ever forgiving her for it given how harsh they are on her at the best of times.

I don't think so, though it will add yet another dimension of soapy drama.  Why would Alex need to forgive Jo?  He is the one who beat DeLuca to a pulp for no reason, without waiting to get the facts.  He walked in, made an assumption (one which doesn't say the best things about Jo, by the way) and lost control.  That isn't Jo's fault, its his.  But I don't think that she will turn him into the police.  I think that Bailey will want to know who beat DeLuca, Webber will have some kind of idea considering Alex showed up with him and will probably look disheveled/worried at the very least and then sort of figure out that he needs to get the truth out of Jo.  Should Jo flat out lie?  Especially when DeLuca will spill the beans eventually?   Just as many people are going to hate Jo for telling the truth about the beating as they are if covers for him.  When Alex turned Meredith in, everyone hated him even though it was the right thing to do (just not necessarily for the "right" reasons).  Once again, she is in a no-win situation.  Things will get very, very messy between Alex and Jo (and others if they get involved) but eventually the husband will show up, blah, blah and they will reconcile by the end of the season.  That's my theory anyway.

• Love 2
3 hours ago, Nobodysfan said:

This is the scenario which is possible in Shondaland. I think the chances are pretty high for this to happen. I definitely believe Megan will come back as a doctor with amnesia and different facial features after her face has been remade following severe burns/fractures on her face which she must have suffered in the plane crash. Typical soap opera plot and Greys is one. 

There will have to be a new chief of Ortho but no name has been announced yet who will fill up Sara´s shoes. Odd.

Greys writers´  inconsistency at its best. They just make up stuff out of nowhere, literally nowhere. Illogical and irrational. We would have seen a scene if they ever knew Owen had a sister him talking to Cristina about Megan´s fate in S5 or S6. He would have told her such  a huge thing like he told her about the death of his platoon. Writers just made up Megan and Nathan so that Hunt has something to do once Cristina has left. The same for Maggie´s introduction, just to fill in the space after Cristina left.

They already did amnesia/facial reconstruction SL with Alex and whatsherface ferry crash girl.

• Love 1

I hope Alex turns himself in by the end of the episode. IMO the beating was so OTT. I'd at least like the aftermath to feel right to me. Alex confessing feels right for the character IMO.

Honestly though it will be beyond dumb if they play this as some secret. The why of it, okay, but Alex's hands would realistically answer the who.

• Love 4