Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E12: Moving On

A boy is suffering with a serious fever and his high-strung mother begins to show signs of distress.

Did my brain stroke off for a minute, or did that preview actually happen?

Each week I wonder if it will be different, but each week it's the same -- I feel preached to about so many topics. Everything from the military to child abuse to drug use to PTSD to medical bureaucracies and everything in between. They're really not subtle at all.

• Love 2

Oh, Show, you were doing so well until the end when TC was aiding and abetting insurance fraud with the ALS patient. Good way to turn your life away from crime! It would have been much better if he realized that all his son would want is some time with him before the disease takes over.

Each week I wonder if it will be different, but each week it's the same -- I feel preached to about so many topics. Everything from the military to child abuse to drug use to PTSD to medical bureaucracies and everything in between. They're really not subtle at all.

I agree.  I'm especially tired of the military worship and the PTSD.  Yes, I am truly grateful for their service, but it's been overdone on this show.

I don't like the EMT whatshername and she was way out of line trying to attack the husband because she thought he was abusing his wife.  Of course, she turned out to be right, but she was still out of line.  I don't care about her storyline either.  

On a shallow note, TC looks much better with the haircut.  It does wonders for him, not having that shaggy hair down around his ears.  I'll have to start calling him McDreamy lite. 

Michelle Obama and Jill Biden

What was with that? Two very real and very important people thanking a bunch of actors on a low-rated tv show? It was just so ... so, I don't know ... incongruous. It's one thing to go on a real talk show or newscast, but Night Shift? It made me question their credibility.

I don't like the EMT whatshername and she was way out of line trying to attack the husband because she thought he was abusing his wife.

This. We already saw the wife pass out against a wall. But the husband was attacking and abusing the wife in a hospital corridor? The EMT was way out-of-line. But on this show, one of the leads attacks someone every week, like it's okay.

Where did TC come up with the money to give the ALS guy? Did he sell his motorcycle AGAIN? And LOL that money was in a legal-sized BROWN envelope. That's the only kind of envelope money ever goes in, no one uses white ones.

I couldn't figure out why the ALS guy was so bent about not being able to put his son through college so now he's failed the son and life was pretty much over. The heck? What's wrong with him trying to connect on a human father/son level, not a "I have money so can do something for you" level? Maybe the son would like to be with his father in his last days. If not ... well, then, paying for college won't make him like you better. Plus there are hardship grants and scholarships available for kids in need. And what about his wife/ex-wife? She wasn't mentioned. 

I just thought the whole ALS guy thing was pretty much out-of-whack, story-wise.

And why was fever-kid mom so panicked to get her kid to the hospital via EMT? She was portrayed as a whack-o, but she knew the kid was being abused? So much confusion.

Not that it matters.

What was with that? Two very real and very important people thanking a bunch of actors on a low-rated tv show? It was just so ... so, I don't know ... incongruous. It's one thing to go on a real talk show or newscast, but Night Shift? It made me question their credibility.

The whole presentation of it was stilted and lame. The only reason I could see them trying to bring attention to this particular cause is because it really is important that returning soldiers get the physical and mental health therapy they need, and they need to not see it as a weakness or something not available to them. 

But within the context of this show, it felt preachy. Again.

At the risk of getting myself banned from these boards, why do you all continue to watch a show you do not like any part of? I'm just curious, but perhaps this is troll-territory. Ah well, good luck to each of you in finding something fulfilling for you in life! 

I love this show. It 's just a medical drama - I don't expect Emmy worthy stuff. 

Loved the competition on the weirdest case and I wasn't bothered by TC "losing" the ALS paperwork so the guy could get insurance. He screwed up with his kid and for whatever reason this is how he feels it will be repaired. And he's going to die soon so...

So the husband abused the wife but not the son right? The son just was freaked out and would hold his pee so he wouldn't wet the bed, which would spark his father to hit his mom right? Didn't understand the biker/thug guys. She hired enforcers to keep the wife safe? Is that a real thing?

Continue to love watching TC do just about anything. So hot. 

Hacerry, there are plenty of things I've talked about in regard to this show in other episode threads, where I talked about things I liked: I've enjoyed stories involving Paul, I love Topher, I'm impressed with the way Ragosa has grown as a character since he left the administrative side of things, and I find the Drew character to be interesting (especially because a gay military character is unusual in mainstream TV).

But I do think the show can be heavily preachy when it comes to the way it talks about various topics. It makes me feel like I'm being lectured to, and that if I disagree in any way with their presentation of it I must be one of those "un-Americans." That's how the show comes off sometimes, and it bothers me. I think they could do it better. And there are some topics I think they could lay off of for a while. So I decided to talk about that. 

I wouldn't say your comments were troll-territory, so don't worry about that. I understand your question came from curiosity, which is why I'm answering it as honestly as I can. But this part did come off as a bit condescending: "Ah well, good luck to each of you in finding something fulfilling for you in life!" Mainly because it's presented as if we don't have fulfilling lives because we have critical things to say about a show. And that's not true or fair. I have just as much right to talk about the things that I don't like as I do about the things that I do like about a show, and none of those opinions have anything to do with whether or not my life is fulfilled enough.

• Love 8

Speaking of Topher, if the show kills him off, I will have lots of snark to write here next week. I love me some Topher, best actor on this show. And Drew ... hot eye candy.

I watch this show because there is nothing better on in this time slot on my cornfield-fed antenna tv. I also watch to be entertained by these boards. Night Shift isn't the only show I watch for the eye candy AND the snark. Good things are rewarded here; bad thing are rewarded in other ways. Night Shift is about the same as any show if you read all the boards. And all viewpoints are always welcomed.

But I do think the show can be heavily preachy when it comes to the way it talks about various topics.

It's just like Grey's Anatomy (when I used to watch that). Whatever problem a lead actor was having that week would be echoed by an admitted patient so that the Grey's doctor would be told that way how to solve his/her problem-of-the-week. Lots of shows have anvils; Night Shift is just one of them. Doesn't mean we all have to like it though. It would be fun to watch a show that doesn't try to teach us something. Like if we see TC say or do it, it's okay for us to say or do it.

• Love 1

Speaking of Topher, if the show kills him off, I will have lots of snark to write here next week. I love me some Topher, best actor on this show.

They would be fools to kill him off, so they better not! He's an interesting character who grounds everyone else, and I really like him.

I watch this show because there is nothing better on in this time slot on my cornfield-fed antenna tv. I also watch to be entertained by these boards. Night Shift isn't the only show I watch for the eye candy AND the snark. Good things are rewarded here; bad thing are rewarded in other ways. Night Shift is about the same as any show if you read all the boards. And all viewpoints are always welcomed.

Hee... well said. (especially the part about eye candy + snark)

At the risk of getting myself banned from these boards, why do you all continue to watch a show you do not like any part of? I'm just curious, but perhaps this is troll-territory. Ah well, good luck to each of you in finding something fulfilling for you in life!

I just wanted to say that, while I don't think your post was intended to be mean-spirited, someone on another thread got dinged by a mod for questioning why people watched shows they had issues with.  We can watch what we want, why we want.  Just a heads up...

• Love 1

The Bunk!  Wendell Pierce is always a welcome sight, but he will always be The Bunk from The Wire.  Of course, his character had to have the worst luck possible.  I know ALS is a horrible disease and I'm glad it is getting recognition, but when TC said it, I totally start thinking about Empire, and the role that disease played in that show.  At least it sounds like the patient just wants to see his son and make peace with him.  None of that "Pit everyone against each other, so they can take over my record label!" craziness that Lucious Lyons was all about!

Total knew that Gwen would end up being proven right, but I still thought she crossed the line, and didn't blame Topher for giving her the third-degree.  But, I guess since she was victim of abuse, it was one of those cases where I'm suppose to forgive since it was "personal" for her.

The contest was fun, even if it just boiled down to Drew and Ragosa bribing Kenny and Molly to get the craziest cases.  Sounds like Krista lost, but judging from their reaction to that last case, I think everyone lost on some level.

Topher and TC are now off to Afghanistan, to help Topher's buddy.  I'm sure that is going to end in a firefight.

The Jill Biden/Michelle Obama stuff ended up just being a PSA, pretty much.  It was weird seeing Trace Adkins playing an actual character.  He's always going to be Trace Adkins: country singer and Apprentice finalist.

They would be fools to kill him off, so they better not! He's an interesting character who grounds everyone else, and I really like him.

When Topher flew off to Afghanistan, I wondered if the actor had another show lined up and so would be killed to get off of Night Shift. Happens elsewhere.

Thinking again why I watch: Because this is a "dead" hour on antenna tv, I watch the first eps of all the new shows to see if I can get involved in them. I've stuck with all (and snark about every one of them here!) except two that I turned off before they were even over, they were so horrible. Some shows are so bad they aren't even tolerable for hate watching!

Yes, that was Trace Adkins. I watched the star/guest star listing at the beginning of the show so I would know who he was for sure.

But isn't it the best at providing both? :)

Yes, it is! As are a couple other shows I watch for the exact same reasons!

(edited)

I've stuck with all (and snark about every one of them here!) except two that I turned off before they were even over, they were so horrible. Some shows are so bad they aren't even tolerable for hate watching!

With a comment like that, you have to tell us which two you ditched! Which ones were that bad?  :)

Edited by sinkwriter

To me is boils down to three things:

1) Moreso last summer, the show was just so over-the-top ridiculous that it was really fun to hatewatch.  They have toned that down somewhat this season, although next week's episode looks like a return to form.

2) As much as some of the characters (*cough*TCandJordan*cough*) annoy the hell out of me, I do find Topher, Drew, Krista, Michael (and Landry before she was killed on the way back to her home planet) very appealing.  That's probably a higher ratio than a lot of shows.

3) Since I am medical-adjacent (if I live through my boards in six weeks, and move to become less adjacent), I find the liberties this show takes with medical science hilarious.  Even good medical shows like House and ER would bend things for dramatic purpose, but TNS ups that by a factor of approximately infinity.  It's also weird, because there was at least one practice question I got right today because of something I saw on the show, although I don't remember what it was.

As for the current episode...there's an episode of Scrubs which includes the punchline "There's no lost and found box....there's an ASS box..." which is, in my experience true, and seemed completely within the spirit of the "weirdest patient" contest.

Gwen can go away now please.

I know I'm one of those bad America-Hating-Liberals, but if they could maybe go, say...30 minutes without some kind of military hero worship, that would be awesome.

• Love 1

As for the current episode...there's an episode of Scrubs which includes the punchline "There's no lost and found box....there's an ASS box..." which is, in my experience true, and seemed completely within the spirit of the "weirdest patient" contest.

Ewwwwwww...   *GRIN*  

I did like the betting on "weirdest patient" contest. Kenny and Molly really cleaned up, getting that extra money on the side for bribes. LOL.

When Topher flew off to Afghanistan, I wondered if the actor had another show lined up and so would be killed to get off of Night Shift. Happens elsewhere.

That tends to be recurring guests (ala Adam Rodriguez on this very show), not actors in the main credits. They sign contracts. I highly doubt Topher/ Ken Leung is going anywhere. (Plus this is The Night Shift, which likes it's HIGH DRAMA. I'm sure we'll get some scares next week, possibly even an injury, but no deaths of main characters.) 

• Love 2
(edited)

With a comment like that, you have to tell us which two you ditched!

Backstrom and Last Man on Earth. Both I found intolerable, couldn't even make it through a full first episode of either. And I refuse to go back.

Since I am medical-adjacent (if I live through my boards in six weeks, and move to become less adjacent), I find the liberties this show takes with medical science hilarious.  Even good medical shows like House and ER would bend things for dramatic purpose, but TNS ups that by a factor of approximately infinity.

This reminded me of the episode where the drunken frat boy got tangled up in the barbed wire and gutted himself wide open with intestines practically falling out of his body. I didn't bother to post about it here, but that was so far from what would have happened, it wasn't a fraction of a particle close to real world. I was hung upside down, caught in a barbed wire fence after getting tossed head first from a horse, and all I incurred was ... pretty much nothing. Even if that guy was naked and jumped into barbed wire, no way would  barbs one-quarter-inch long rip him open, even if he was struggling and fighting it. Which he wouldn't be, it would hurt being stuck by a zillion barbs and he would make a decision to hold still and call for help, even if he was drunk out of his gourd.

Whew, glad that rant is over. Good luck on your boards, starri!

Edited by saber5055
  • Love 1

I think I already know the answer to this (which is "The show doesn't care, why should I?"), but how much time has passed this season?

Rick's departure and return had to be a least a few months, Jordan found out she was pregnant around the midway point so she'd have to been about a month late when that happened, and yet she still appears to be about six hours pregnant.  

yet she still appears to be about six hours pregnant

LOL. Did I miss an episode where she told everyone she was pregnant? Because I thought she had only confided in Gwen (and of course TC) but she seems to just talk about it in some scenes as if everyone knows. I don't get it.

I never saw a scene where Jordan told the world she was pregnant either, I just assumed my brain drifted off when that happened, it tends to do that during this show. Most women I know keep their pregnancy quiet until they are far enough along to know (cross fingers) that everything is okay.

I could have sworn TC at least told Topher, but maybe I'm remembering wrong.  I thought that was part of their discussion about TC buying a new bike without telling Jordan while Topher was failing to tell Janet about Dubai.

Also, has the show completely forgotten about the Doctors Without Borders heart surgeon who put TC's brother's heart into their Army buddy who just so happened to live in San Antonio?  I mean, I guess the answer is "Of course they did," and while I promised to stop nitpicking the medicine as much, TC and Topher ARE. NOT. SURGEONS and I don't care how good battlefield doctors they are, they have no business trying to put in an LVAD at a field hospital.  And I'm sorry, there's no way the military doesn't have a cardiothoracic surgeon at Rammstein in Germany who would be better suited to doing something that complex.

It's just a show, I should really just relax.

• Love 2

I never saw a scene where Jordan told the world she was pregnant either, I just assumed my brain drifted off when that happened, it tends to do that during this show. Most women I know keep their pregnancy quiet until they are far enough along to know (cross fingers) that everything is okay.

I'm surprised they didn't turn it into a big scene where everyone finds out some early morning after the shift is over and people are gathered on the roof or in the break room. It just seems like the kind of thing this show would turn into a celebration, with manly back-patting for TC and a lot of "Congratulations, bro!" LOL.

• Love 2
(edited)

It's just a show, I should really just relax.

No, please don't!

has the show completely forgotten about the Doctors Without Borders heart surgeon who put TC's brother's heart into their Army buddy who just so happened to live in San Antonio?

Well, I did.  Not that that means anything important!

Edited by saber5055