Type keyword(s) to search

S07.E21: In Plane Sight

WendyCR72

I just remembered, didn't Amann say this episode focused on two female cast members? Who besides Alexis? Is he counting Beckett?

This was terrible timing (sweeps, renewal questions) to have a basically Caskett-less episode (the first ever where they don't have any scenes together not including Skype?). I wonder if they had no choice with Stana's vacation during this time or if they really thought this would do well in the ratings.

Yeah he said something about how they were going to do an episode that had then working with different partners, mix it up a bit, made it seem like it was going to be boys against the girls kind of thing? But as usual what they say during interviews doesn't seem to follow through in the actual episode. Unless you count Alexis and Lanie working together but it was only a brief moment.  Castle and Alexis working together which is a different partnership from the norm too as for Beckett she was hardly there.  

And if they thought this particular episode would do well in the ratings ABC are even more clueless than I thought, it was an Alexis-centric episode with Castle and Beckett separated - that's ratings suicide right there.

FlickerToAFlame. Okay found it. Here is that interview where he mentions this.

Matt's Inside Line: Different Dynamic

I’d love to read anything new you have for Castle! Please?! –M.

This is a bit interesting: I asked showrunner David Amann – on behalf of a reader, maybe? I forget – if there might ever be an episode that pits the men against the women, sort of how that one Lisa Edelstein episode did, but sticking with the regular cast. Think: Beckett, Lanie, Gates and Tori (and you could even throw in Alexis) vs. Castle, RySpo and a reluctant Perlmutter. And Amann said, “There may be something like that, where there’s a different configuration to the investigative team that emphasizes a couple of the women. That’s something to look for around [Episode] 21.”

Castle: In Plane Sight – A Good Cop/Bad Cop Review

Hey, whatever happened to these guys working typical NYC murders? Last week was Al Qaeda and this week an ISIS aspect?

Anyway, as far as the police procedure and forensics go…fuhgedaboutit and enjoy this episode for what it is…fiction.

Edited by verdana

I don't know if anyone wants no Beckett, but it is a very common criticism that we never see Castle do anything with Beckett.  And so is Alexis not having anything to do. Obviously balance is good, and the writers really need to work on that, but I don't think they could do anything that wouldn't result in criticism around here.

I think the lack of balance makes all the difference though. When people want to see Alexis used better, I think they mean to give the character an interesting B plot within an episode that would result in character growth or the strengthing of a relationship within the show(like having an meaningful scene with Beckett). Having Alexis go from having very little screen time to suddenly being heavily involved in the COTW and pretty much being the costar of this episode does not really acomplish anything longterm.

It is the same with how Castle was featured this season. I was hoping we would learn more about Castle as a character this season and see meaningful discussions between him and Beckett, but instead we had the PI arc which gave Castle more screen time, but didn't delve into his backstory in any way. Character development comes from the subtle moments and personal discussions that should take place multiple times throughout a season, not just thrusting a character into the spotlight to solve the COTW. This is the same problem the show has when they devote a whole episode each season to Ryan and Espo out of nowhere and expect the fans to get invested.

I feel like a lot of the creative choices TPTB made this season(like this episode) were just contrived ways to cut down on the filming hours for Stana and Nathan. They have managed to find ways throughout multiple episodes to keep Castle and Beckett apart, and IMO it has not worked well. Due to poor writing choices, the show has nothing to fall back expect the Caskett chemistry, and I don't think it is suprising when fans aren't happy with an episode like this one that involved a limited amount of Caskett interaction.

• Love 3

Have to agree with Matt about the motive when she started on about being pissed off about her pension.

I thought it was a pretty weak motive too. I like to think most people wouldn't jus turn to murder so quickly...
I was expecting her to say she didn't mean to kill him--that she just meant to knock him out--but that never happened.

And how much could she fence a hot, practically-one-of-a-kind (with a serial number), 3 mil watch for? And where would she fence it? I would think most shady people that could handle it would likely clunk her over the head for it since she doesn't have a history of building relationships with black marketeers (or else she wouldn't have cared so much about the pension).

And speaking of pensions getting axed--in most cases they at least partially grandfather-in employees who have been with the company for an extended time, right? Or did airlines not do that?

Vanarnd1, your post makes me so wistful for the missed potential of this show.

Don't get me wrong, I love the little moments like Beckett checking the flight status on her computer, Castle's doubts, Espo/Ryan working the case with urgency, the smitten flight attendant, etc.but your post reminds me of how much more it could be. I love this show, I really do, but sometimes, I wish it could be more. Sigh.

Speaking of more, I missed Martha and Gates this episode. Where were they?  

And Amann said, “There may be something like that, where there’s a different configuration to the investigative team that emphasizes a couple of the women. That’s something to look for around [Episode] 21.”

Possible explanations: 

1. The episode order got jumbled and we'll see this next week.  Unlikely since next week is the big 150th episode.

2. The storyline changed for some reason (Stana needing time off, network interference, etc).

3. TPTB have gone from exaggerating to out right lying.

4. Amann is actually delusional and that's why he's leaving the show.

5. He doesn't know how to properly speak when the word "mythology" isn't in the sentence.

I think the lack of balance makes all the difference though. When people want to see Alexis used better, I think they mean to give the character an interesting B plot within an episode that would result in character growth or the strengthing of a relationship within the show(like having an meaningful scene with Beckett). Having Alexis go from having very little screen time to suddenly being heavily involved in the COTW and pretty much being the costar of this episode does not really acomplish anything longterm.

Oh, I agree about their mis-use of Alexis and that separating Castle and Beckett doesn't work.  But I do stand by my statement that some viewers are always going to find something to complain about.  That's not to say there will be no valid criticisms, just that there will always be complaints.

And speaking of pensions getting axed--in most cases they at least partially grandfather-in employees who have been with the company for an extended time, right? Or did airlines not do that?

Yeah, I think most places would grandfather people in. My company gave up pensions ages ago, but people who've worked there 30+ years still get it.  But I'm sure there are companies that don't, or maybe she just missed the cut off.  Very few private companies give pensions anymore, so I really felt no sympathy for her.

• Love 1

Anyway, as far as the police procedure and forensics go…fuhgedaboutit and enjoy this episode for what it is…fiction.

I've taken to ignoring Lee of Loftland's reviews, but I've always thought he should take his own advice.

I was expecting her to say she didn't mean to kill him--that she just meant to knock him out--but that never happened.

Did I imagine it? Maybe I just assumed, because I think one would have to be really dumb to kill an air marshal, especially someone that's spent their career in the airline industry.

Martha is either loved up with her new beau in the loft or out flat hunting and Gates is her usual MIA. They've hardly used Penny at all this season, another wasted opportunity. I'd have liked to see her interact with Beckett more.  

They used up all of Martha's concern for Castle - or apparently her granddaughter - last week, so you know, she had this week off.  

5. He doesn't know how to properly speak when the word "mythology" isn't in the sentence.

Hahahahahahaha. On. POINT. 

Edited by S55

Martha is either loved up with her new beau in the loft or out flat hunting and Gates is her usual MIA. They've hardly used Penny at all this season, another wasted opportunity. I'd have liked to see her interact with Beckett more.  

I think if they want to do a storyline of Beckett exploring her career, they should have her talking to Gates about it.  I like when they've shown respect for each other, and it makes sense that Gates would act as a mentor when Beckett is considering following in her footsteps and becoming captain.

I think if they want to do a storyline of Beckett exploring her career, they should have her talking to Gates about it.  I like when they've shown respect for each other, and it makes sense that Gates would act as a mentor when Beckett is considering following in her footsteps and becoming captain.

Not to mention they've done that before (in Watershed), so we know the writers are capable of including her as part of Beckett's decision-making journey. Let's see if they remember that come the finale, though I'm not holding my breath considering the memory lapses we've already seen this season. 

I liked the episode okay, but I was disappointed that the murderer turned out to be the flight attendant that Alexis had talked to in the cargo hold.  I thought it was going to turn out to be one of them, but I suspected the male flight attendant.  I'm not sure why--I think he just seemed to be extra nervous, what with his constant babbling about airline cutbacks. 

I thought it was funny when Castle thought the phone was in the snake and how relieved he was when they found it under the cage.

Alexis' hair was pretty this episode.  I liked the way it was fixed in the back.

• Love 1

That's exactly the sort of relationship I envisaged they would have eventually once they warmed to each other. Gates has the similar high flying trajectory (didn't she say Beckett beat her by a few weeks as the youngest detective in the NYPD?), she's also married with a family and has experience of the stresses and strains of her job and how that affects your personal life which could really come into play at this point. They've had the odd nice moment but they could have done so much more. 

Not to mention they've done that before (in Watershed), so we know the writers are capable of including her as part of Beckett's decision-making journey. Let's see if they remember that come the finale, though I'm not holding my breath considering the memory lapses we've already seen this season. 

I thought the scene in Watershed like so much of that episode was disappointing and a waste of time, they might as well have cut it out. They had very little meaningful discussion about what she was going to do, the pros/cons of her leaving for DC etc. It was just more of the same "oh this is such an amazing job" yeah I already gathered that but what about the other aspects of what could this mean for Beckett? That was never touched upon. And when they gave Penny her own episode about her sister, once again when Kate goes to Gates I thought finally a meaningful moment between them but they quickly cut the conversation off and went back to the case again. 

Beckett has been a well developed character pity I can't say that about the rest of the women on this show and their relationships with each other - Beckett/Gates, Lanie/Beckett, Beckett/Martha, Beckett/Alexis - in fact the only one that feels real is Martha/Alexis. They've had the odd great moment with Beckett and Martha but they always tend to occur during shitty episodes like 6.23.

If Kate gets the chance to be a Captain and this comes to a head in the finale you would hope Gates would have something more to say than congratulations and good luck and that Beckett would want to seek her out for advice but I doubt they'll have a proper discussion - but they should.  

Edited by verdana

The wi-fi works in cargo hold and in lavatory? And it allow high definition, real-time video telephony? Okay then...

Whoah. I hope that question isn't directed at me. I know nothing about in-flight wi-fi since I can generally amuse myself on long-haul flights without Internet access and it only crosses my mind when I'm appreciating the blessed respite from idiotic mobile phone conversations. Considering the cost, I'd be somewhat intrigued to find out that it sucks.

More random observations:

- Castle knows his watches.  Nice, rare bit of continuity.  If they actually had that in mind.

- As a fellow Sherlock geek, I liked the shoutout to 221B Baker Street.

- So Castle wrote his first book to impress a girl?  That would have been Flowers for your Grave, right?  Would the girl have been Kyra?  Although I thought the dedication to her was from a later book? 

- Liked seeing that bit of physicality from Castle when he grabbed the guy from the restroom since we don't see him like that much.  I think Nathan did that bit himself.  He worked well as an authority figure in the episode especially as all the other male actors were a head shorter than him.

- Not entirely comfortable with the idea of there being firearms in a pressurized cabin even with an air marshal.  You never know what can happen.

- Snakes on a mother flying plane is still a cool line.

Character development comes from the subtle moments and personal discussions that should take place multiple times throughout a season, not just thrusting a character into the spotlight to solve the COTW.

Agreed.  But the show hasn't done that for a long time, not since S1-2, when you could really chart the gradual blossoming of the Caskett relationship, the slow unpeeling of both characters.  The show's lost a lot of nuance and subtlety along the way.  Don't know why.  Poorer caliber of writers?  Any "character development" that's come in the past few seasons come from a generally forced arc of 2-3 eps and they have been mostly horrifically done.  Douchebag arc.  Pi arc.  Beckett's career and insecurity with Castle arc starting with TS&TQ.  Secondary characters basically have arrested character development except when they get their rare spotlight episodes, which don't generally work to get me very invested either unless the storytelling is very strong.

Don't get me wrong, I love the little moments like Beckett checking the flight status on her computer, Castle's doubts, Espo/Ryan working the case with urgency, the smitten flight attendant, etc.but your post reminds me of how much more it could be. I love this show, I really do, but sometimes, I wish it could be more. Sigh.

I wish it could be more all the time, that it could recapture the creative heights of the early seasons, but I'm resigned to the fact that it won't by now.  I had hoped after resolving WT/WT that there would be new life to the show, but the problems that had plagued it at that stage didn't magically disappear and just continued.  So much lost potential in the "honeymoon period" right after Caskett finally got together.  And the lost potential of an unblemished and completely romantic proposal and wedding.

Beckett has been a well developed character pity I can't say that about the rest of the women on this show and their relationships with each other - Beckett/Gates, Lanie/Beckett, Beckett/Martha, Beckett/Alexis - in fact the only one that feels real is Martha/Alexis.

They have made a tiny teeny bit of headway with Beckett/Martha and Beckett/Alexis this season in that their familial relationship feels a bit more organic and natural.  But their interactions are still mostly shallow and a far cry from the kind of natural depth that I felt shortly into the show with Martha/Alexis/Castle where you could easily understand the family dynamic and immerse yourself in it.  Martha/Alexis still feels very real to me although sadly they still haven't had a standalone storyline (or even scene?) of their own in 7 seasons!  What a missed opportunity.  Are grandmother/granddaughter relationships not interesting enough to explore for the writers, along with all the other female relationships mentioned?  Beckett/Lanie is the one that's definitely regressed since S1/2.

I would add that Castle's male relationships haven't been allowed to be developed either, not much with Esposito or Ryan anyway.  Still don't know why Esposito acquired his hardass attitude towards Castle. ;) Ryan/Espo bromance gets some limited development.

Basically the show just does Caskett + COTW.  Occasional Castle/Alexis and a bit of Castle/Gates which I've liked, and that's it.   The show hasn't made it a priority to invest in deepening relationships beyond Caskett.

Edited by madmaverick
  • Love 1

Whoah. I hope that question isn't directed at me. I know nothing about in-flight wi-fi since I can generally amuse myself on long-haul flights without Internet access and it only crosses my mind when I'm appreciating the blessed respite from idiotic mobile phone conversations. Considering the cost, I'd be somewhat intrigued to find out that it sucks.

No, it is not towards you personally. It is more to my frustration watching this show that steers more and more as police procedural as The Flash. And do you know the punchline of the episode? Alexis bravely face the muzzle of a loaded pistol and got the murderer to lower such pistol just by saying "This is not who you are," even though such murderer has successfully murdered the Air Marshal and managed to stuff his body in a suitcase. She just melts in front of Alexis. What about that?

• Love 1

The wi-fi works in cargo hold and in lavatory? And it allow high definition, real-time video telephony? Okay then...

But phones can't call 911 if they're locked (remember that Season 5 episode?).  Strange things with cell phones happen in the Castle bizarro world.

But I have an explanation for your point.  The plane belonged to the same airline  (Oceanic) as the one that went down in Lost.   Oh, and the flight number was 57, kind of a reverse engineered version of the Lost flight 815.  Thus, the plane was magical, and with magic, all bets are off  So there you have it.

I thought the episode was entertaining from beginning to end and even a trial balloon for a Castle without Beckett.  As such, I thought it went extremely well.  Castle didn't beat NCIS LA, but the rating number was up.  More people watched.  It was fine. 

Edited by TVWithPity
  • Love 2

From what I understand, it's basically wifi that has to bounce from tower to tower as the plane moves. Which means that the signal is decently spotty ... and decently slow. It's good enough to check your email, but not to stream video. (My cousin spent money on in-flight wifi to watch the NCAA championship game and it failed miserably.) Good news is that it's pretty easy to get reimbursed from the airlines if you're dissatisfied with it and want to spend a little time chasing down the right people.

That said, I agree with pepper. This is fiction. In a world where Castle can follow around a cop for fun (or "work") and then marry her and STILL follow her around and act as her partner, the speed of in-flight wifi isn't the biggest problem. This is a scenario where you just have to suspend disbelief, because otherwise this is just nitpicking to nitpick.

From what I understand, it's basically wifi that has to bounce from tower to tower as the plane moves. Which means that the signal is decently spotty ... and decently slow. It's good enough to check your email, but not to stream video.

Isn't that the cellular service not wi-fi? Conspiracy theorists have always argued that the inability to bill for that is why they've always asked us to turn off our phones... The wi-fi would be from a hot spot inside the plane itself, but there would be no need to offer the fastest available speeds to people with no other options. 

Communication on trans-Atlantic flights are either satellite based or use the older HFR (High Frequency Radio). I would suspect that any wifi would have to be by satellite. Which would have a time delay built in that would be noticeable on video communication. Probably in the neighborhood of 1 to 2 seconds each way. My satellite TV runs about 11 seconds behind local television or radio.

Isn't that the cellular service not wi-fi? Conspiracy theorists have always argued that the inability to bill for that is why they've always asked us to turn off our phones... The wi-fi would be from a hot spot inside the plane itself, but there would be no need to offer the fastest available speeds to people with no other options.

According to this link, there are two types of in-flight wifi. Row44 is satellite based, so it would go from the airplane, to the satellite, to the receiver on the ground. The other (and most common, based on my experience on flights with in-flight wifi) is GoGo, which is tower based and basically like a flying 3G hotspot, so it would go from the airplane to towers on the ground.

Both seem like they would be incredibly slow, just because you're daisy-chaining together a bunch of wireless signals.

I always thought that the reason they asked you to turn off electronics was because in the beginning they were afraid that the signals would interfere with plane controls (well, not the actual controls, but all the equipment), but as they found that not to be true they kept the policy because it was safer in the even of an accident. If something went wrong they don't want a bunch of 3 - 5 pound flying projectiles. That's why they have you turn off all electronics, not just the ones with wifi capabilities. (Of course, I always wondered why that didn't apply to something like books, too, but I figure it's because people are more attached to their phones.)

Besides, I think the airplane is moving too fast to establish a cellular connection for any meaningful amount of time. You'd be able to connect to a tower, but with the speed of the plane it would be a minute or two before you were out of range and the call dropped. Not worth it.

For some reason, I was shocked that no pilots were apart of the storyline. It appears (IMO) it was done on purpose. I guess it's too soon to involve pilots in a plot involving murder, crime & violence. That said, I might have totally missed it. Were pilots even mentioned?

For some reason, I was shocked that no pilots were apart of the storyline. It appears (IMO) it was done on purpose. I guess it's too soon to involve pilots in a plot involving murder, crime & violence. That said, I might have totally missed it. Were pilots even mentioned?

The female pilot locked herself in the cockpit after asking Castle to help solve the murder.

On ‎28‎/‎04‎/‎2015 at 4:00 AM, McManda said:

Castle's first mistake - taking an Oceanic Air flight

I was expecting them to say it was Flight 815 too!

I liked the episode. OK, I thought it was the male Flight Attendant too, but it's always one of the flight crew in episodes like this (usually because it means the plot will concentrate on the passenger list and only later turn to the crew). I didn't mind Alexis talking her down because she was only a reluctant criminal and was unlikely to shoot Alexis in the face (and even if she had, she'd be screwed because Castle would jump on her in response, even if it meant taking a bullet).

Did have to nitpick the graphic of the plane landing at "Heathrow" on Beckett's computer - Heathrow is to the South West of London, not right in the middle (it looked about right for London City Airport, but that's tiny and no transatlantic flights would land there). Though that may be where the app places it, even if it's geographically inaccurate.

• Love 1